Which book would you like to see as a film?

Aiteal

Can't get enough of FH
Which of your favourite books (or even graphic novels) would you like to see made as a film?
Who would play the main character(s)?

I'd go for Stormbringer with Jonathan Rhys Meyers as Elric
Or maybe Neuromancer with James Caviezel and Milla Jovovich as Case and Molly

Sparx

Cheeky Fucknugget
would love to see the Wheel of time done but its such a big story i think it would be raped. Also it needs to be done well, none of this cheap stuff talking big budget

Ingafgrinn Macabre

Can't get enough of FH
Stephen King's Dark Tower cycle

Roland of Gilead: Clint Eastwood
Odetta Holmes / Detta Walker / Susanna Dean: Gloria Reuben
Eddie Dean: Woody Harrelson
Jake Chambers: Haley Joel Osment

Mirari

Fledgling Freddie
Sparx said:
would love to see the Wheel of time done but its such a big story i think it would be raped. Also it needs to be done well, none of this cheap stuff talking big budget

I agree, Wheel of Time would be very cool to see as a film, (well, rather 10+ films :D) but as you say I think anyone who even dares trying will have to be ready to spend an enormous amount of resources to make it work. It is a bit like Lord of the Ring; you have to be very careful of what you change and leave out to make it work as a film and still be true to the story and characters.

Problem here of course is that Lord of the Ring is three books where they focus on a kind of main story and there aren't as many passages where they describe cultures/areas/cities/characters etc. which the Wheel of Time books are very good at, and there are so many important characters in Wheel of Time as well, and they are all very detailed. Wheel of Time is so alive in that way; after having read some books you can identify where a new character is from by noticing things like height, clothes, what kind of language they use and even in some cases their view upon things like water. (For example if you meet a short nobleman interested in chess and the Game of Houses he will prolly be from Cairhen (can't remember how it's spelled :())

Sorry, strayed a bit off-topic there...

Can't think of any good books from the top of my head, will have to come back later :)

Edit: Aha! I'd like to see "The Hobbit" as a film (or is it called B i l b o in english?) haha they censured B i l b o :D

haarewin

Fledgling Freddie
battle royale. but done from the book, not the film which was completely different.

Eregion

Fledgling Freddie
The Riftwar Saga by Raymond E Feist. Haven't thought about any actors though. :)

leviathane

Part of the furniture
Gene Wolfe

The Book of the New Sun: Shadow and Claw Vol 1
The Book of the New Sun: Sword and Citadel Vol 2

Thorwyn

FH is my second home
Allan Dean Foster : Spellsinger (the first 5 books) !!!!

Some of the Discworld books, although I guess it would still be better to read them instead of watching them.

Perry Rhodan - enough stuff for endless seasons.

Vasconcelos

Part of the furniture
"Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell" by Susanna Clark

Kickass book. Would make an original movie in the right hands (Ang Lee mayhaps :p )

Jeremiah

Fledgling Freddie
Mirari said:
Problem here of course is that Lord of the Ring is three books where they focus on a kind of main story and there aren't as many passages where they describe cultures/areas/cities/characters etc. which the Wheel of Time books are very good at, and there are so many important characters in Wheel of Time as well, and they are all very detailed.

The LOTR books (and the Hobbit) are packed full of detail about cultures, history and important characters that never made it into the film either :( I guess this is the trade-off if you want to make feature-length films, else its best to be a series rather than a one off film. Its a funny thing, but books tend to be better at painting pictures than visual films :)

Sparx

Cheeky Fucknugget
Mirari said:
I agree, Wheel of Time would be very cool to see as a film, (well, rather 10+ films :D) but as you say I think anyone who even dares trying will have to be ready to spend an enormous amount of resources to make it work. It is a bit like Lord of the Ring; you have to be very careful of what you change and leave out to make it work as a film and still be true to the story and characters.

Problem here of course is that Lord of the Ring is three books where they focus on a kind of main story and there aren't as many passages where they describe cultures/areas/cities/characters etc. which the Wheel of Time books are very good at, and there are so many important characters in Wheel of Time as well, and they are all very detailed. Wheel of Time is so alive in that way; after having read some books you can identify where a new character is from by noticing things like height, clothes, what kind of language they use and even in some cases their view upon things like water. (For example if you meet a short nobleman interested in chess and the Game of Houses he will prolly be from Cairhen (can't remember how it's spelled :())

Sorry, strayed a bit off-topic there...

Can't think of any good books from the top of my head, will have to come back later :)

Edit: Aha! I'd like to see "The Hobbit" as a film (or is it called B i l b o in english?) haha they censured B i l b o :D

Totally agree, there are at any time 5 different story lines going that (i hope) will all pull nicely in the end (story still going) so hard to leave any one story out.

Darzil

Fledgling Freddie
I reckon Anne McCaffrey's Dragon books would translate to film well. Their storylines aren't too complex, so wouldn't need much chopping out (anything longer than a Novella tends to need a lot of cuts for film - Novels are just too long), and they'd be good to look at now that computer graphics can handle decent looking Dragons.

My real favourite books and graphic novels I don't want to see made into movies - if something works really well in a book or graphic novel it's because that's the best format for it, usually (eg - Watchmen - it's the perfect format for it - for me it's a comic that validates that format, as the story could not be told as well in any other media).

Darzil

Thadius

Part of the furniture
Any of the diskworld novels but with a Monty Python twist :D

Aiteal

Can't get enough of FH
Darzil said:
My real favourite books and graphic novels I don't want to see made into movies - if something works really well in a book or graphic novel it's because that's the best format for it, usually (eg - Watchmen - it's the perfect format for it - for me it's a comic that validates that format, as the story could not be told as well in any other media).

Moore wont have anything to do with any of his works being made into films anymore anyhows.

V for Vendetta wasn't a bad movie, but the original grphic novel's politics was sadly watered down for film goers.

Somethings are best left in print its true.

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
I would like to see Peter Jackson have a go at Raymond E Feist's Riftwar Trilogy (Magician, Silverthorn, and Darkness at Sethanon).

I would like to see Ridley Scott make Brian Lumley's Necroscope quintology (Necroscope I - V).

I would like to see James Cameron direct Homer's Iliad and Odyssey - but please no Brad Pitt or other lobotomised Hollywood attention seeking narcisist.

I would like to see a re-make of "Threads" - the chilling TV production about nuclear war and the aftermath. Recently watched it on DVD. While it retains all of its impact in terms of scaring the shit out of you about nuclear weapons effects, it could certainly do with modernising and an 8-figure budget.

I would like to see someone direct the Northern Lights trilogy.

Aiteal

Can't get enough of FH
Lamp said:
I would like to see a re-make of "Threads" - the chilling TV production about nuclear war and the aftermath. Recently watched it on DVD. While it retains all of its impact in terms of scaring the shit out of you about nuclear weapons effects, it could certainly do with modernising and an 8-figure budget.

Threads!!!!
Was just chatting about that with friends a few nights back
Gave me nightmares as a kid
Damn I hated the eighties

Eregion

Fledgling Freddie
Lamp said:
I would like to see Peter Jackson have a go at Raymond E Feist's Riftwar Trilogy (Magician, Silverthorn, and Darkness at Sethanon).
Riftwar saga isn't a trilogy though, or did you mean you wanted him to only make film of those 3 books? :p
Or maybe they do count as a trilogy, but atleast I have 6 books in that series, getting confused now. :D

Aiteal

Can't get enough of FH
Samaroon|Terracotta said:
The dictionary! :D

Damn you to hell and back for having that leekspin link in your sig
I could have learnt esperanto with all the time I've wasted looking at that page :p

Aiteal said:
Damn you to hell and back for having that leekspin link in your sig
I could have learnt esperanto with all the time I've wasted looking at that page :p

Just be happy you haven't stayed up 6 hours longer than you should've because it's so addictive to listen to :p

Serbitar

Fledgling Freddie
sex, drugs and sausage rolls - robert rankin

or any other of his books tbh.

Characters:

Jim Pooley - tim from the office/hitchhikers
John Omally - thingy nesbitt

Thadius

Part of the furniture
Hmm, Mankind, a tale of blood and sweatsocks would make a good movie :p

That or any of the Gaunt's ghosts book

Users who are viewing this thread