Where are my Ping Plots?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sendraks

Fledgling Freddie
Oh eck, I understood none of that Daedalus.

The route is clear, yet he has this big red packet loss thingies on the chart, which I have yet to see on any of my ping plots.

What am I supposed to be looking for?

Daedalus

Can't get enough of FH
Sendraks said:
Oh eck, I understood none of that Daedalus.

The route is clear, yet he has this big red packet loss thingies on the chart, which I have yet to see on any of my ping plots.

What am I supposed to be looking for?
Well, when something is 100% packetloss, it means that either the router is completely dead, or that router isn't returning any ICMP packets (used for traceroutes and pings and such).

Because you still get hops after that one, it means that the router isn't returning any ICMP packets, which could mean that the route is being changed.

When looking at pingplots, you usually look for a high AVG number or extremely high CUR spikes on OT's routers. Alternatively, check for any persistant packetloss above the 20%.

Sendraks

Fledgling Freddie
Thanks, thats very helpful. I now know that what I'm looking for is what I thought I was looking for, but wasn't sure I was looking for. :)

Danya

Fledgling Freddie
Not all routers return ICMP - you often get a few on a route which show as 100% packet loss, but are in fact working fine. Generally a router is only dead completely if you can't trace past it.

Amiga

Can't get enough of FH
Someone told me to post my tests in here instead of the thread i posted it on first. Hopefully it works better for me today. If not i might try some more tests due to boredom :p

Enjoy :(

Amiga said:
First of all this is not me trying to whine even more about the lag (even tho it bothers me like hell hehe). This is just some tests i did tonight. The tests shows some pings i made with pingplotter and with normal command prompt pings.

Heres what the pics shows (time shown is CET):

1. patch.camelot-europe.com -> Our belowed login server. Net and server belongs to Goa (Wanadoo).
2. Router/Switch -> Owned by Goa (Wanadoo).
3. Opentransit router
4. Opentransit router

As you can see in the "no error" picture all my 4 pings got replies (its in swedish but u get the picture i hope).

No error: http://213.112.14.14/pics/goa%20no%20error%20new.jpg
Error: http://213.112.14.14/pics/goa%20error%20new.jpg

But if we take a look at the error picture we can see that 3 of my 4 pings have stopped to work. Both "GOA" adresses doesnt reply and also one of the opentransit routers (no 4). However, the router above the "broken" OT router works like a charm and so does the rest of the routers in the traceroute pingplotter prints out.

Conclusion: Well nothing really (im no network expert) except that it shows that something needs to be done :)

By looking at the error picture it looks like no 4 is the thief here but it could be the one above (no 3) as well. Hell, it could be anything afaik but it sure looks like one of those 2 are having problems.

Dont know if this little test gives any useful info but this is what ive been going thru all evening. Game has been impossible to play due to these massive interrupts (just look at the red downtime bar on the error pic).

[GOA]Erivoss

[GOA] Official type person
You'll be happy to hear that I recieved a message today asking me to stop sending Ping Plots. They have got the message and are investigating - I will keep bugging them every day until it's fixed or at least until I'm told what's wrong and what's being done about it.

Please keep the ping plots coming, I want to build up a stockpile should I hear nothing from them ;)

Daedalus

Can't get enough of FH
[GOA]Erivoss said:
You'll be happy to hear that I recieved a message today asking me to stop sending Ping Plots. They have got the message and are investigating - I will keep bugging them every day until it's fixed or at least until I'm told what's wrong and what's being done about it.

Please keep the ping plots coming, I want to build up a stockpile should I hear nothing from them ;)
HAH! Awesome!
So.. who gets the cloak?

[GOA]Erivoss

[GOA] Official type person
Daedalus said:
HAH! Awesome!
So.. who gets the cloak?

Well I have to look at all the pingplots I've received... didn't look at them in detail at the time. I'll announce it in a couple of days (a little busy atm ;) ).

Daedalus

Can't get enough of FH
Heh. Well, take your time. It's not like it was an official contest *grins*

Chronictank

FH is my second home
opentransitlag.JPG

Boni

Fledgling Freddie
Theres a nice long plot for you.. 12hrs+ of excal the other day.

Attachments

• long.png
    long.png
    15.1 KB · Views: 124

Boni

Fledgling Freddie
well servers been terrible for the last 3 hours, massive lags, link deads a plenty.

Heres your plot.

Attachments

• laggy.png
    laggy.png
    14 KB · Views: 68

Daedalus

Can't get enough of FH
Boni said:
well servers been terrible for the last 3 hours, massive lags, link deads a plenty.

Heres your plot.
Hopefully that's OpenTransit debugging their routers.

Wishful thinking, yeah I know.

*edit*
Actually, it looks like your ISP is adding 300ms and the 'normal' OpenTransit an additional 300-400ms spikes. Though I'm not entirely sure.

Boni

Fledgling Freddie
Daedalus said:
*edit*
Actually, it looks like your ISP is adding 300ms and the 'normal' OpenTransit an additional 300-400ms spikes. Though I'm not entirely sure.

How do you figer that? Totaling up the average ping columns it looks like I get about 100ms lag from bt / ntl, and 200-250 on the OT/server side on average over the last 3rhs.

The long black lines going left right are just max/min markers and can be deceptive, I think the average column gives a good indication of overall performance of the nodes?

Heres the same plot again without the min / max markers and current samples, kind of looks different doesnt it....

Attachments

• laggysimple.png
    laggysimple.png
    14.2 KB · Views: 42

Daedalus

Can't get enough of FH
Boni said:
How do you figer that? Totaling up the average ping columns it looks like I get about 100ms lag from bt / ntl, and 200-250 on the OT/server side on average over the last 3rhs.

The long black lines going left right are just max/min markers and can be deceptive, I think the average column gives a good indication of overall performance of the nodes?

Heres the same plot again without the min / max markers and current samples, kind of looks different doesnt it....
Ah yes, you're right. I didn't see the timespan in which the sample was taken and the amount of samples included.

Zedenz

Can't get enough of FH
Lag has been completely beyond a joke this evening, also sending some via Right Now.

Boni

Fledgling Freddie
Sunday also filled with more lag than fun.

Your plot:-

Attachments

• sun.png
    sun.png
    14.4 KB · Views: 92

Boni

Fledgling Freddie
BTW am I right in saying the last two pings (hop 12 and 13) are down to the servers/GOAs internal network and not part of OT?

Arus Canus

One of Freddy's beloved
So is this bad or good?

Hit trace when lag started and dunno for how long i had it running, because i forgot all about it since i didnt go linkdead ;)

Ye i am a noob when it comes to nerdy stuff like this ping plotter! such haxz0r programs.

excal.gif

Radix

Fledgling Freddie
Not used to reading ping-plotter but looks like most people sharing their images have left their own IP visable?

Usually bad idea to let a public forum like this one know your IP.
Just saying.

Arus Canus

One of Freddy's beloved
k I'm no einstein, but surely this cant be good?
2ND TRACE
excal2.gif

First trace i did looked oki.. atleast i think it did. Still waiting for the experts.

1ST TRACE
excal.gif

UndyingAngel

Can't get enough of FH
Arus Canus said:
k I'm no einstein, but surely this cant be good?
2ND TRACE
excal2.gif

First trace i did looked oki.. atleast i think it did. Still waiting for the experts.

1ST TRACE
excal.gif

Just to say somthing if you have looked at any of the Ping plots that inc the Max latency coloum.. the Higest spikes in all the plots I have seen inc my own are all COMMING form goa's end and not OT I get Max latency of between 600-900 form GOA and between 400-600 from OT.. just makes you think. anyone else noticed this ?

attachment.php

Arus Canus

One of Freddy's beloved
Tbh, i havent noticed anything :p

Dunno what to look for really nor do i know what it all means!

Just used PingPlotter coz i was told to use it and post screenies :clap:

Helme

Resident Freddy
I think its becouse it first goes through opentransit which slows it down, then keeping going at that speed into GoA network. Dont qoute me on that thought since im not sure.

UndyingAngel

Can't get enough of FH
Helme said:
I think its becouse it first goes through opentransit which slows it down, then keeping going at that speed into GoA network. Dont qoute me on that thought since im not sure.

The latence is between each hope and not from begining to end.. and tonight the latancey peek @ 1300ms lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom