Where are my Ping Plots?

Status
Not open for further replies.

[GOA]Erivoss

[GOA] Official type person
The title says it all really....

I sincerely hope that you guys understand that without those ping plots the lag will NEVER EVER EVER go away.

And I mean NEVER EVER EVER.

Please - it doesn't take a long time, I don't even need a lot (4 or 5 from different places showing problematic OpenTransit nodes is all I need!) and most importantly - without them, the lag will NEVER EVER EVER go away.

I can't really say it any clearer than that so clicky click:

http://www.pingplotter.com/download.html

and get those ping plots to me! (erivoss (at) goa (dot) com or RightNow it under 'Life on your server').

Some server IPs:
Prydwen: 193.252.123.177
Excalibur: 193.252.123.33
Camlann: 193.252.123.147

Please - it's getting tedious asking for the same thing and eventually I'll just let it drop.... :(

Daedalus

Can't get enough of FH
Let's make this a contest! The one who posts the PingPlot that shows the worst OpenTransit lag is the winner!

[GOA]Erivoss

Daedalus said:
Let's make this a contest! The one who posts the PingPlot that shows the worst OpenTransit lag is the winner!

Good idea, I'll even give you a Trophy cloak for the character of your choice o_O. (really I'd love to give more but that's all I can get away with...)

Xalin

[GOA] English Servers GM
[GOA]Erivoss said:
Good idea, I'll even give you a Trophy cloak for the character of your choice o_O. (really I'd love to give more but that's all I can get away with...)

And just barely!

Seriously though ... send them in guys! Without pingplots the lag will NEVER EVER EVER go away.

Boomeruk

Fledgling Freddie
sent to erivoss....

i dont even play this game anymore... wtf am i doing?

:D

[GOA]Erivoss

Hold it!

Remember to save them as images (makes it a lot easier to send around).

Daedalus

Can't get enough of FH
You *may* want them in both formats (Sample Set and image) so you can verify that they haven't been tampered with.

Boomeruk

Fledgling Freddie
and dont send them any with good pings... that would be just..... silly

:p

[GOA]Erivoss

Daedalus said:
You *may* want them in both formats (Sample Set and image) so you can verify that they haven't been tampered with.

umm well I was assuming that people here would simply send what they got without trying to alter the evidence. If that's the case then I might as well go home now as the problem will never get fixed...

Another thing though - the best way to get a 'decent' lag-filled ping plot is to have ping plotter open in the background while you play daoc. Make sure you've entered the same IP as the server you're playing on. As soon as you start getting some nasty OT-type lag, hit TRACE at the bottom and keep it going until the lag settles down again. Then send those results to me/rightnow/post it here for everyone to see.

It doesn't help much if you ping plot a period of time where there's no lag... can't go sending perfectly good plots to OT can I? :)

Daedalus

Can't get enough of FH
Erivoss, what kind of situations are you looking for? I have a pingplot that shows a 400-500ms spike on the prydwen server and the router before that one, but afaik 400-500 ms isn't enough to make someone go linkdead (not caused by just network lag, anyway. It may go wrong when someone already has 300-600ms on their own ISP router).

However, I did have my connection reset on several occasions but that's hardly traceable, isn't it? Especially if one of the OpenTransit routers does that.

Indio

Fledgling Freddie
Sent pingplots on several occasions in the past - I haven't seen any improvement on the lag situation though.

Clipse

Fledgling Freddie
Okay PINGLOTS INC. Just gonna download it, then leave it running in background. While I play counterstrike lol !!

Dangart

Fledgling Freddie
Indio said:
Sent pingplots on several occasions in the past - I haven't seen any improvement on the lag situation though.

I think before they do anything they need pings from different people, from different locations in europe, seeing which nodes doing what, if its the same node being the trouble for many, thats great, if its different all the time, it'll be a tough one :/

[GOA]Erivoss

Dangart said:
I think before they do anything they need pings from different people, from different locations in europe, seeing which nodes doing what, if its the same node being the trouble for many, thats great, if its different all the time, it'll be a tough one :/

yes that's pretty much it. It isn't just one node that's messing up, it's several of them. We've already tracked down 2 which should get a good looking at by OT, but there could be others and until I start getting spammed with "stfu you and your goddamn ping plots the servers are fine!" I'll keep on asking for them.

Iceforge

Can't get enough of FH
Okay, started running it now and first try = 3 nodes with 100% packet loss?

Probarly why I do linkdead in daoc atleast once every 5 minuts? (not playing only due to that)

Iceforge

Can't get enough of FH
Jpeg[LOD] said:
ditto can sum1 explain to us technically chellneged people how to do it properly and accuratly please :)

Okay, Dunno if this is 100% right, but this is how I did it

Getting the program

1.Follow the link http://www.pingplotter.com/download.html
2. Select either of the 2 following options:
2a.Download Ping Plotter 2.51.1 via HTTP (848 KB)
2b.Download Ping Plotter 2.51.1 via FTP (848 KB)
3. Select the location for them to be saved on your harddrive

Installing the program

1. Find and run the application from the folder
2. Hit "Next"
3. Select a folder for it to be installed in and then hit "next"
4. Hit "Next"
5, Let it install
6. Let "Run PingPlotter Now" be marked and press "done"

Using the program

1. In your upper left corner, you see a blank white square, enter the ip adress of wished server into this square
2. In your lower left corner, you see a buttom marked "trace", press this buttom
3. Watch the ping statistik form on your screen, drink coffee, wait around 5 minuts
4. Click "Files" then select "Save image" and select location for the image to be save
4a. Remember to rename the image so it dont overwrite any previous pingplot images meant to be send to GOA
5. Repeat 3-4 atleast 3 times
6. Send to GOA through RightNow

Zenith

Part of the furniture
And Iceforge, would be even better if you played daoc while you ran the plotter, and even better, when you had some lag

Vasconcelos

Part of the furniture
4th time i run it.

Had the "hop 4" with 100% packet lose all the tests

Comos

Loyal Freddie
Clipse said:
Okay PINGLOTS INC. Just gonna download it, then leave it running in background. While I play counterstrike lol !!

what servers you on zoys? You're playing source right oO

Iceforge

Can't get enough of FH
Zenith said:
And Iceforge, would be even better if you played daoc while you ran the plotter, and even better, when you had some lag

I never ever have lag in daoc

I just ld

within 5 minuts of logging on...

And while running the test thingy, it seemed like only 1 5th of the time, I didnt have 3 nodes with 100% packet loss, which I quite think is a bad thing...

Draylor

Part of the furniture
Id love to provide logs: the lag was still there anytime I played over the weekend.

Amusingly any route shown by Pingplotter isnt showing any Opentransit routers.

For example:
Code:
Target Name: N/A
         IP: 193.252.123.33
  Date/Time: 22/11/2004 21:59:23 to 22/11/2004 22:01:38

4   25 ms   25 ms   25 ms   23 ms   25 ms   25 ms   24 ms   26 ms   27 ms   27 ms  sl-gw22-lon-2-3.sprintlink.net [213.206.156.209]
 5   26 ms   26 ms   25 ms   25 ms   23 ms   26 ms   26 ms   26 ms   25 ms   25 ms  sl-bb20-lon-9-0.sprintlink.net [213.206.128.97]
 6   32 ms   34 ms   33 ms  169 ms   34 ms   33 ms   33 ms   35 ms  235 ms   34 ms  sl-bb21-par-14-0.sprintlink.net [213.206.129.70]
 7   44 ms   46 ms   47 ms   44 ms   44 ms   40 ms   43 ms   43 ms   42 ms   51 ms  sle-franc1-3-0.sprintlink.net [213.206.131.42]
 8   *       *       *       *       *       *       *       *       *      N/A      [-]
 9   45 ms   45 ms   47 ms  293 ms   46 ms   48 ms   44 ms  118 ms   56 ms  216 ms  [193.252.122.14]
10   49 ms   46 ms   55 ms  276 ms   49 ms   50 ms   51 ms  101 ms   50 ms  195 ms  [193.252.123.33]
Utterly useless :) Captured a few lag spikes with this over the weekend but without even the IP of the router involved even just whining about it achieves more

Esselinithia

Fledgling Freddie
Linking problem data report for a few hungarian ISPs

Axelero: Results gathered with running ping plotter active while I wasn't at home, at the time axelero had some problems (support spoke about it) information about results are available and sent to their support team as well. Conclusion: Some LD and lag are related to problems in the network of Axelero. A router appears twice in the graph which is a problem in itself, packet loss are related to an identified and known problem, so data is probably far from the best. Same with insane ping for their router. Ping data shows some of the problems are in Germany or Hungary, today it looks ok on OpenTransit side. Axelero staff notified of the problem. They are the biggest ISP in Hungary, run by our phone company. So this few hours long session looks useless. ISP changed parameters of their ADSL services recently (2 times more bandwidth now). Hopefully after this problem fixed I will gather some data with pingplotter auto alerts, etc.

GTS-Datanet: Results gathered with a few sessions of MTR run on a coloc server on reliable line, system load averages are OK, from about 20000 packets sent over a few hours total only 3(!) lost, so doesn't explain packet loss problems, yet all packet loss occured at WanadooPortails.GW.opentransit.net, new SSH client doesn't allow scrolling back, et so data isn't saved, swithced to old SSH client, and started MTR again. http://www.enerla.net/pings.txt has the next 2000 cycles (saved this time) at the last spiritlink node is where worst ping jumps from 50 to 231, quite big jump here. (Interesting it is french backbone yet not opentransit for ones who claims only OT has backbone in france), and at the next router it jumps again to 448, and next to 529. As I see, the average reponse time here are lower (router probably has less load) yet it has far worse "worst ping" time.

TVnet:Asked a friend to do MTR on one of the servers of the ISP data looks about the same as GTS-Datanet data, but a bit longer, it isn't a miracle, since TVnet uses GTS-Datanet lines for international connections...

Haven't checked yet: UPC (chello.hu, Broadband.hu), university lines, smaller ISPs. Some more tests are coming :)

For GOA staff, is it ok to run ping plotter and set auto alerts that can send reports to your email addies? Can you set up a new addy for such auto reports?

Wazkyr

One of Freddy's beloved
Just using it, finding the graf a bit hard to read, tho i can already se 3x "100% packet loss" in less than 2 mins.

And it would be helpfull what else info u want us to send in the email or to Rightnow... Want our ISP, eg 2.024/128 ??

vintervargen

Banned
Iceforge said:
I never ever have lag in daoc

I just ld

within 5 minuts of logging on...

And while running the test thingy, it seemed like only 1 5th of the time, I didnt have 3 nodes with 100% packet loss, which I quite think is a bad thing...

buy a new networkcard, instead of using your on-board one.

Esselinithia

Fledgling Freddie
http://www.enerla.net/pp2.zip
It has a few more pingplot data, tell me when I can delete it :)

It caught LD, and some interesting spikes. I think a half secound spike isn't that bad barely noticable for most times, except when as a cleric you have hard time to keep your tanks alive. Half secound difference in casting speed is a huge advantage, half secound delay is an equally bad disadvantage.

Spirou

Fledgling Freddie
[GOA]Erivoss said:
Another thing though - the best way to get a 'decent' lag-filled ping plot is to have ping plotter open in the background while you play daoc. Make sure you've entered the same IP as the server you're playing on. As soon as you start getting some nasty OT-type lag, hit TRACE at the bottom and keep it going until the lag settles down again. Then send those results to me/rightnow/post it here for everyone to see.

You can set Ping plotter to save at regular intervals, measured in minutes.
Just set it to save one every 15 minutes or so.
Edit -> Advanced Options
Check the "Auto Save Images" checkbox.
Filename :$host $date $hour00
Filetype: Don't know what you guys prefer? .png? .gif? .bmp?
When the lag hits you, wait until it stabilize again or you go LD, then switch to Ping Plotter, save data (if it haven't autosaved in the last 2 seconds ;o) and mail it.

Darzil

Fledgling Freddie
It's worth manually checking whether there are route changes, too. When they happen often they seem to cause LD's and Lag. Unfortunately none of the Ping plotter save types record them.

Best way I found of finding the Lag is to run with a UI which has a time on it, and to just note down the time of the Lag, so you can compare it later. Otherwise you'll be constantly switching between DAoC and Pingplotter.

Oh, and as people have found, it's not only OpenTransit which has problems, so please don't assume that ALL problems are OpenTransit if you go LD. It's not always the case !

Darzil

Snarks

Fledgling Freddie
Well my pingplotter trace shows things fine until hop 9 and then it returns no data due to destination unreachable causing 100% packet loss. Not sure whether to send it in or not as I have no problems playing the game and highly doubt it will show lag if the data is being lost.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom