Motoring Wheels

old.user4556

Has a sexy sister. I am also a Bodhi wannabee.
Why do you disagree Bodhi? I've effectively got the engine from the 228i in a car that weighs 300kg less than the M240i and I'm currently combined at 35mpg.

Job

The Carl Pilkington of Freddyshouse
Funnily enough the original Golf Gti is only 2 secs slower on the quarter mile than the 2016 ordinary Gti, but the new one has 40% more emissions.

Bodhi

Once agreed with Scouse and a LibDem at same time
You'll be lucky to see 25mpg.

I know a few M135i owners, do any motorway work and over 30 is quite straightforward - and the 140i is more economical still.

I definitely want the x40i engine in my next car, it's just what size to go for. Probably a 3 series or above, as I want Heads Up Display as it's clearly the coolest thing ever, not available on the 1 and 2 however.

In no hurry to change however, as the 125i does all I want in a car. Comfy, fast, good to drive and has a great stereo. Oh and it makes a fantastic noise. I went outside when my car was getting picked up earlier, just to listen to it go down the street. Lush.

Bodhi

Why do you disagree Bodhi? I've effectively got the engine from the 228i in a car that weighs 300kg less than the M240i and I'm currently combined at 35mpg.

Just because I know how good the BMW 6's are on fuel.

And I got distracted halfway through my post above :(

old.user4556

do any motorway work

Oh come on :), you know I'm not referring to motorway miles. I could get ~45mpg in my old Z4 3.0si if I stayed at a steady 65 on the motorway, but in reality it was ~27 mpg combined over a tank of mixed driving.

Just because I know how good the BMW 6's are on fuel.

My colleague gets his M140i in a couple of weeks, I'll be back to let you know. FYI his 125i is ~35mpg as well.

Love you lots bodhi but fucking bollocks will 35mpg be a regular occurence on these cars driven the way they were meant to be.

Bodhi

Oh come on :), you know I'm not referring to motorway miles. I could get ~45mpg in my old Z4 3.0si if I stayed at a steady 65 on the motorway, but in reality it was ~27 mpg combined over a tank of mixed driving.

My colleague gets his M140i in a couple of weeks, I'll be back to let you know. FYI his 125i is ~35mpg as well.

Love you lots bodhi but fucking bollocks will 35mpg be a regular occurence on these cars driven the way they were meant to be.

Preaching to the converted here my friend, I wouldn't expect 35 mpg out of one (although I have heard of 340is getting damned close), but they will do more than 25 - I'd expect one to be similar to mine, which has the same engine - albeit in a lower state of tune - as your Z4. I usually get 28 in winter, 32-33 in summer.

When leaving the engine idling lots as I don't trust the 9 year old battery to start the car again, about 15....

old.user4556

I think the M140i is one of the best and most rounded cars out there just now, I'm desperate to get a shot. Well kitted as standard as well (LED headlights, full leather).

Bodhi

I think the M140i is one of the best and most rounded cars out there just now, I'm desperate to get a shot. Well kitted as standard as well (LED headlights, full leather).

One ragged it away from the traffic lights in front of me the other day - utter filth tbh.

I've also been eyeing up a good friends 430d Gran Coupe - lovely looking car, fantastically comfortable and not a bad engine for a paraffin stove. Would go for the 428I/440I myself, but am sorely tempted.

Wij

I am a FH squatter
You could pick one up brand new for £25k

Wij

I am a FH squatter
I liked my S3, and the new one is basically a Golf R anyway, so it should be a good drive.
I thought the S3 was great on my test drive (automatic) but the R gets better reviews.

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
I thought the S3 was great on my test drive (automatic) but the R gets better reviews.

There was an article in Autocar last week around the new tax rules in the UK and it suggested the S3 was literally the best car on the market under the new £40K tax threshold (I gather you're now going to have a pay a premium tax for cars over 40K for the first two years? Something like that)

Wij

I am a FH squatter
There was an article in Autocar last week around the new tax rules in the UK and it suggested the S3 was literally the best car on the market under the new £40K tax threshold (I gather you're now going to have a pay a premium tax for cars over 40K for the first two years? Something like that)
Dunno. I thought it was over 30k. Haven't really looked at it.

If I was going to stick with a hatch though I'd have gone with the beamer.

(Unfortunately I now have a car that can't be used to lug the dog around and will be unable to benefit from his lovely smell :))

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
One ragged it away from the traffic lights in front of me the other day - utter filth tbh.

so in all fairness, sub 25mpg, yes? I mean, to be fair, I could rag my old 1.4 TD red I VW Polo and get that. If I ragged it enough. Tbh I was getting shit from my friends for not getting a (converged) 1:45 ratio in that car.

Job

The Carl Pilkington of Freddyshouse
i could get 29mpg from my 4 litre Grand Cherokee on the motorway

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
Something about Seats just make me want to stop. They are beyond boring, they are just empty looking, soulless.

Bodhi

If I had to have one of the VAG hatches I must admit the Seat would probably be my choice, like Rear Wheel Drive and 4 cylinder + engines too much though to actually go out and buy one.

No doubt it is an absolute weapon - if I followed one on a B-Road I'd probably let it go :)

old.user4556

Something about Seats just make me want to stop. They are beyond boring, they are just empty looking, soulless.

They are very benign but the same can be said of the Golf R - too clinical, German, lacking in passion.

Bodhi

One thing I will say about the Golf R, is that it sounds fucking hideous. Compared to the old R32, which was a musical instrument, the Golf R sounds like a fart machine with a leak.

Edmond

Is now wearing thermals.....Brrrrr
I loved the R32 tried to get one a few yrs back in a mk4 (as the mk5 was a horrible car) but couldn't find a decent one with good mileage.

Urgat

Part of the furniture
I just got s new car too!

Dacia Duster.

Really happy with it... even though now It's underwhelming when compared to your new car. :(

Bodhi

I just got s new car too!

Dacia Duster.

Really happy with it... even though now It's underwhelming when compared to your new car. :(

This post really needed to be preceeded by James May saying "Good News!".

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
I love my passat 140bhp estate. Was one of the last of the old models a couple years ago. So they made a special edition with loads of toys on it. Got the full leather, heated seats, nice sat nav and all. Had only done 10k miles and eats motorways for breakfast.

Its a diesel but i dont care :)

Tom

I am a FH squatter

I used to get 30mpg on the motorway in my Chimaera. And then I left the motorway and booted it, where I'd see about 13mpg :)

Bodhi

The missus has just told me we should have a Jag next. Not for any practical reason, bit mostly because I keep leaving my wallet at home when we go to the pub....

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom