What's your political alignment?

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
Cant agree with you there Tom, going through school every year below us was always worse behaved, stupider and cared less about society.

Having worked in a busy town centre for 6 years or so now I can tell you that the youth criminal element gets worse every year, as does the general level of respect and sense of what is right or wrong.

Maybe its just my perception of things, but its not media driven -the only part of papers I read are the sports pages, and I dont watch the news very often at all.

Covenant

Can't get enough of FH
I always tend to think that pigeon-holing people with their political views is rather narrow-minded.

For instance, there is more than "Right" and "Left" wing to politics, these days. These terms come from the French National Assembly and regarded their seating arrangements.

Hence why I post this link, and the gibberish in my location to the left.

Noita

Fledgling Freddie
I dont want my politicians to be spokespersons or mouthpieces for big business or whatever... what I want is open and honest politics and politicians who have at least one grain of honour in their souls. All of this seems to be lacking at least in perception if not reality. All this recent Iraq/WMD stuff hasnt helped the "honesty" factor in British politics one bit either, and Blair's "honesty ratings" have plummeted with a negative "knock on effect" likely to hit the Labour Party in upcoming elections. Lets face it... we had a vote in the commons to send our troops into Iraq based almost entirely on the mistaken belief that WMDs were present in Iraq and posed a direct threat to the safety of Britain. NOW of course, the reality on the ground shows a completely different picture.... so will there be another vote based on reality instead of guesswork, inaccuracy and misinformation? Of course not, cos British troops would be out of there faster than a bunch of greased weasels.

One thing's for damn sure, all Brits are now far more likely to die from an Islamic terror strike now than they ever were before and we have fanboi Blair and his brown nosing of the US Idiot-in-Chief to thank for it. Now before I have to reach for my flame retardant undies this rant aint about the rights and wrongs of getting rid of Saddam and his bunch, its about honesty... would we really have sent troops to Iraq if we had been sold the notion of war based on "regime change"? Nope of course not, so now instead of having a vote to decide whether to keep our brave troops down in harms way the 'tards are discussing (WONT be voted on) whether or not to send MORE troops to make up for the Spanish who are pulling out!!!!!!

The majority of Brits think the Blair regime is full o shite... unfortunately they also seem to think the same of Howard and his mob of exThatcher asslicking crony wannabe's who couldnt buy a damn clue if it was on sale at Tescos. Remember Howard as Home Sec in the Thatcher Junta? He was one of the most hated men in Britain, despised far and wide, subjected to more court scrutiny and judicial review than any Home Sec before or since :twak: (i think, havent looked at Blunkett in close detail yet). But now the Tory Party can all dress up in pink fwuffy bunnie suits and be all things to all people, comfortable in the knowledge that they wont be called on to make any real decisions for at least another 5 years. But if they are you can rest assured in the absolute certain knowledge that the pink fwuffy bunnie suits will be off in 0.000987087 of a nano second.

I am comforted tho by the knowledge that no matter how grubby our home grown politicos get they have a great deal of catching up to do in order to be in the same yard as their US counterparts...

US corporate Halliburton.. gets some MAJOR luvvin from US Govt re: post Saddam contracting... ex CEO of Halliburton? Dick Cheney... current Vice Prez of USofA? Dick Cheney! :twak: Wrong in soooo many ways......

Ken Livingstone... one of the only politicians alive in the UK today who hasnt forgotten what Democracy means. Voted in by the people, serving and representing the people to the best of your ability even if that brings you into direct conflict to the point of being expelled from your political party. Love him or Loathe him he's a dying breed... an honest politician. Now WTF is he doing back in the Labour Party? I can see what the Labour Party gains from re-associating itself with Ken but WTF does Ken get? Hardly gonna be candles and din-dins at #10 with the Blairs now is it?

Wazzerphuk

FH is my second home
I've said it before, I'll say it again....

Fuck off with unecessary political threads. This has no use. At all.

I thought the recent political discussion trend was bad enough: but at least they had the decency to make their threads relevant, this is obscene! If I want to talk politics I'll go staple my brain to a wall in the house of commons.

*disappear into distance mumbling something about light heartedness*

Tom

I am a FH squatter
I disagree with the notion that politicians are not to be trusted.

dysfunction

FH is my second home
I dont have any particular political alignment as such as I have varied opinions depending on which subject is being discussed...

But you have to choose a political party if you want to vote.

So right now I cant possibly vote for anyone apart from Labour...even though they have put up taxes, war in Iraq etc. Its just that all the other parties are a lot worse!

Sigurd

Banned
Swift^ said:
I've said it before, I'll say it again....

Fuck off with unecessary political threads. This has no use. At all.

I thought the recent political discussion trend was bad enough: but at least they had the decency to make their threads relevant, this is obscene! If I want to talk politics I'll go staple my brain to a wall in the house of commons.

*disappear into distance mumbling something about light heartedness*

I'm sorry if you're not mature enough to express your views in an adult way... :rolleyes:

The "use" of this thread is to encourage intelligent and calm debate, and to see if Freddyshouse really is a hideout for extremist right-wingers as has been claimed in the past...

]AC[dRuM

Fledgling Freddie
..I am a lefty at heart really I suppose. I believe in a free thinking, democratic and progressive society but also one that has a zero tolerance too those hell bent on spoiling it for otherwise normal people. So I suppose I have a little of all... both left and right.

Although our current system of government and local government is somewhat bloated and tired (completely non efficient and a burden on the tax payer) I would rather have a slower (granted more frustrating) democratic system that does 'eventually' work, rather than the big corporations dictating exactly what they want, or acting upon the whims of the emotional horde.

Tony Blair over the past 5 years has done an incredible job with reforming parliament and has made great in roads with the House of Lords too, but even with the backing of the cabinet and all it politicians the Blair Machine has found that changing one of the oldest establishments in the United Kingdom can be compared to pushing an elephant uphill through treacle.

Local government more so could do with stream lining tbh. But as with all old, tired, bloated, non efficient establishments, they resist change, much to the cost of the public.

Wazzerphuk

FH is my second home
Sigurd said:
I'm sorry if you're not mature enough to express your views in an adult way... :rolleyes:

The "use" of this thread is to encourage intelligent and calm debate, and to see if Freddyshouse really is a hideout for extremist right-wingers as has been claimed in the past...

All this political bullshit has caused arguments and people have left the boards recently because they don't want to be discussing politics here. All I'm saying is leave the political discussion for a bit, we've had more here in the last month than we ever had before, and quite frankly it's very repetetive and bore. It only causes aggro and people get uptight.

It's not me that's not mature enough to 'express my views', I have done before plenty of times. It's with comments like this in a political discussion that things go awry and cause trouble, because you're trolling and acting the immature one. One person does that in a political thread, normally it ends up going horribly wrong and ends up in another slating match.

DON'T make an idiotic reply to this please.

]AC[dRuM

Fledgling Freddie
normally it ends up going horribly wrong and ends up in another slating match.

All due respect Swift, but anybody should be allowed to talk about whatever they like as long as it doesn't break the COC. If threads disintegrate then its up to the Moderator to rectify this.

As a side note, this thread is a great example, now I have replied thus, someone is bound to get a girly strop on and flame..lol :D So do you think it would be a good idea to have a separate part of the forum you could take this discussion to and debate it, rather than the subject being diluted into a mash of tants and rages? (there is a debate forum to use I thought for heated stuffs?)

Example : Swift disagrees with the subject, and feels more debate is needed, so he links to said place and says I disagree, if per chance the thread does start to deteriorate then the mod can sort it out.

Of course there is a school of thought that feels threads evolve out of their own free will, warts and all..

I don't know what the one clear answer is but saying what people can and can't talk about isn't a good start IMO.

[/tantrum free zone]

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Swift is correct. What we need are more 3 legged horses, and hats made from caramel. Thats what this place is about.

]AC[dRuM

Fledgling Freddie
I agree political debate isn't a good call for a calm debate, like religion etc.. I just think the whole issue of selecting what people can and can't talk about is a bit risky in itself tbh. Mods should Moderate flames a bit more then?

A politics forum maybe, I dunno? I just don't like the idea of people being told what they can and can't tlak about, although to date they never have.

How about this then :

Current Affairs Forum for Political Debate.

All told though if you compare the total number of threads here now of a political nature vs the rest it is nothing really, you also don't really want to dilute traffic down into sub forums more than is needed.

The last thought though from me, if you don't like a threads subject matter either don't reply or report to a Mod? Although voicing your opinion is good, if you really want to kill flames a PM to a mod is a better solution than telling someone they are a jerk on a public forum, some might say that is insightment, although you are exercising your right to freedom of speech, a PM is less likely to cause a row eh.

Isn't an easy one, but for the sake of people being able to express themselves freely on a forum using the COC as a guide and the correct use of Mod powers, I think the ignore it or PM solution is best, you think?

Wazzerphuk

FH is my second home
I'm all for political debate if performed correctly.

An internet gaming community forum is not the right place for it IMO. If I wanted political debate, i'd debate with those that aren't here to talk about gaming and boobies.

Will

/bin/su
Don't get me involved. Sort it out amongst yourselves.

I've given up on stating what my political views are. I have ideas. I like most of them.

Though I'd probably be described as a tree-hugging leftie.

Wazzerphuk

FH is my second home
Careful Will, you know that's an invite for those nazis to stomp on us. :D

Clown

Part of the furniture
I don't have any political alignment because I don't particularly care. I'm sure there are plenty other people out there who know how to run stuff better than me :)

Sigurd

Banned
Swift^ said:
All this political bullshit has caused arguments and people have left the boards recently because they don't want to be discussing politics here. All I'm saying is leave the political discussion for a bit, we've had more here in the last month than we ever had before, and quite frankly it's very repetetive and bore. It only causes aggro and people get uptight.

It's not me that's not mature enough to 'express my views', I have done before plenty of times. It's with comments like this in a political discussion that things go awry and cause trouble, because you're trolling and acting the immature one. One person does that in a political thread, normally it ends up going horribly wrong and ends up in another slating match.

DON'T make an idiotic reply to this please.

Hmm I believe you'll find you were "trolling" tbh... if you don't want to read threads like this then don't bother, but I'm just asking people what their political views are... yes maybe it's a sensitive subject but it's an important one and not enough people are discussing politics at the moment imo...

mr.Blacky

Can't get enough of FH
Will said:
Don't get me involved. Sort it out amongst yourselves.

I've given up on stating what my political views are. I have ideas. I like most of them.

Though I'd probably be described as a tree-hugging leftie.
Do you mean that you don't like some of your own ideas? :p

GekuL

Fledgling Freddie
The trouble isn't so much the political threads but the fact they all turn out the same, with people just repeating the same old arguments they've heard from others over and over.

]AC[dRuM

Fledgling Freddie
Clown said:
I don't have any political alignment because I don't particularly care. I'm sure there are plenty other people out there who know how to run stuff better than me :)

That may be true Mr C but apathy is not a good replacement for constructive criticism, one takes no effort, the other requires you to do something ;)

GekuL said:
The trouble isn't so much the political threads but the fact they all turn out the same, with people just repeating the same old arguments they've heard from others over and over.

No flame intended here, but if you don't like the subject then don't participate. I won't be participating in any coding threads, simply because I cannot code. :D

mr.Blacky

Can't get enough of FH
Ch3tan said:
Cant agree with you there Tom, going through school every year below us was always worse behaved, stupider and cared less about society.

Having worked in a busy town centre for 6 years or so now I can tell you that the youth criminal element gets worse every year, as does the general level of respect and sense of what is right or wrong.

Maybe its just my perception of things, but its not media driven -the only part of papers I read are the sports pages, and I dont watch the news very often at all.
Kay maybe this is true but why don't I see news reports about bad things in comparison to the "Youthfull Stupidity" :p

GekuL

Fledgling Freddie
[QUOTE=']No flame intended here, but if you don't like the subject then don't participate. I won't be participating in any coding threads, simply because I cannot code. :D[/QUOTE]

I didn't say there was a problem with political threads. It's the fact they all degenerate in to a perfect example of the internet argument retard picture, just a flame thread with long words (usually about a subject that has already been argued to death). No one actually listens to anyone.

]AC[dRuM

Fledgling Freddie
GekuL said:
I didn't say there was a problem with political threads. It's the fact they all degenerate in to a perfect example of the internet argument retard picture, just a flame thread with long words (usually about a subject that has already been argued to death). No one actually listens to anyone.

I know what you mean, I just fail to see the point of repyling to a thread that you :

a) do not see the point in
b) feel is worthless

If you don't like the content, simply do not reply, or if it offends you that much report it to a Moderator, or Post in the suggestions forum with a thread titled Political Threads Have No Place @ FH. This way it can be debated without it degenerating into a slur?

Or maybe you could just ignore the thread, if after all retards are only posting in it, then it can only get worse and worse and then the Moderator will have to step in. As pointed out before people who continually jump into threads with the sole purpose of pulling them down or flaming are trolls (by default). I think the posting population here are adult enough to make their own minds up whether they want to reply with content or not.

Either way if it is that sad just ignore the thread, thats the easiest thing to do. Telling people what they can and cannot talk about is not a good idea IMO, its as pointless as the thread you maybe arguing about IMO. This way the threads evolve of their own free will, with people choosing to reply or not, no hassle, no flames, no trolls... just talk.

Mazling

Can't get enough of FH
(i made a thread, knocked the back button, and lost my post. :mad: )

I don't think ANYONE knows enough about what each particular MP does for anyone to have a decent say about how useful politicians in general are. I'd like to see more accountability, some kind of list of meetings attended/tangible results and maybe a bit less publicity 'fluff' (though it does have value).

Some can't let pass the opportunity to whine about threads which they are not interested in. What about a 'soapbox' section for rants and things? This sort of thing has been done before. Few will read the rants bit I'm sure so is there much worry about dividing up a forum further?

I don't want to post in spoiler tags for the rest of my days. :mad:

Sigurd

Banned
That political test was.. interesting. Apparantly I'm a communist libertarian :clap:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom