Whats *the* best, most imformative hardware news site?

TUG

It's my birthday today!
As title... been quite a while now since I was in the hardware loop... used to know my shit but now I know next to nothing!!! Basically I aint got a lot of time free to keep up-to-date so rather than looking @ about 10 sites a day like I used to, I want a single site that will tell me all the important stuff I should know about hardware :) I'm looking into moving back into the hardware field for work/business ideas so wanna learn lots without putting stupid amounts of effort in like I used to! Heh :)

I want a site which tells me the latest hardware release news, a brief but useful analysis of new technology in the scene, that does reviews, has a good daily news page etc.

Main sites I used to look at (from my age-old favourites list!):

Anandtech, HardOCP, Hexus, Overclockers.com, Overclockers AU, OCWorkbench, StorageReview, Toms Hardware and XBit Labs.

They used to tell me everything I needed to know, but now I want a single site which does it all for me :D

Cheers for any recommendations (and not just Technation please lol).

Xavier

Can't get enough of FH
Ok, I've just quizzed our news editor and you'd hope that seeing as she and the newsies gather the news, they'd know where to find the 'best pickings' ;)

I think we agree that HardOCP is your best bet for all things enthusiast tbh, most sites especially hexus just seem to link and credit inquirer articles, which is fine but I'd prefer to read the inq...

And then of course there's TN News ;)

Yaka

Part of the furniture
aye hardocp, TN, Hexus.net is mint too

TUG

It's my birthday today!
Cheers :) I was looking on HardOCP earlier... they were always down to earth with their reviews, had useful round up's of daily news and was always a comical read too. Probably the most accessable site outta the lot of 'em :)

Quite liking FreddysHouse forums now so might bookmark Technation aswell for me daily reading :D

old.user4556

Has a sexy sister. I am also a Bodhi wannabee.
I'm a big reader of Anandtech, Technation and firingsquad.com - they are my main point of references. For nforce2 stuff, i use nforcershq.com.

<soapbox>

I don't use tomshardware, because a) they are anti-AMD and b) they are anti-ATi.

I'm sick to the back teeth of their "lame comparisons" or "benchmarks". I'm forever reading on toms that "As you can see, the P4EE is streets ahead of the AMD with 40000 fps in quake3 - the AMD only musters a pawltry 39999".

Or if the AMD performs better than the Intel: "The P4 does an excellent job in this benchmark. The AMD platform is only marginally faster, which suggests AMD are falling behind in their TCP/IP nanoo-nanoo b0rk manufacturing process". The same applied to ATi and nVidia, favouring nVidia wherever possible.

I've noticed toms have a review specifically poo-pooing the Athlon64 (twats...).

Why is it then that anandtech's, hardocp's and firingsquad's benchies all show a different story to tom's benchies?

</soapbox>

Sorry :(

G

TUG

It's my birthday today!
Seems Tom aint changed then... Hmm will delete it from me faves :) At the mo I have 5 sites in there now which would more than likely be top sources for anything I need to know!

Nazgul

Fledgling Freddie
Tomhardware aint anti ATI
dont know about anti AMD cos i aint read that section for a while

fatbusinessman

Fledgling Freddie
I'm going to concur with popular opinion and say that HardOCP and Anandtech are some of the best sites to look at.

I shall remain silent about TechNation, as I'm a shade on the biased side :)

old.user4556

Nazgul said:
Tomhardware aint anti ATI
dont know about anti AMD cos i aint read that section for a while

How can you say that?? Just read a review.

G

RandomBastard

Can't get enough of FH
From what ive seen toms aint anti ati or anti nvidia, but i dont read it that much cause it does as you say rubish amd to much for my liking.

old.user4556

RandomBastard said:
From what ive seen toms aint anti ati or anti nvidia, but i dont read it that much cause it does as you say rubish amd to much for my liking.

Agreed, there is no need for it at all. I'd much prefer a A64 3400+ over the P4EE any day no matter how much rubishing Tom does. He's wasting his time imo.

G

Bodhi

Once agreed with Scouse and a LibDem at same time
HardOCP used to be OK, lost too much respect witht he 3DMark 2003 fiasco for my liking (i.e it was O.K for nVIDIA to cheat their arses off, 6 months after raping ATi for doing much much less). Their news section is still good, however I wouldn't trust their graphics cards reviews.

Anand lost my respect when he tried to do a comparison of the three games consoles on sale atm, and proved how little he knows his arse from his elbow in the process. His reviews are *OK*, but he always seemed to be the ultimate in ATi-bashing, so I stopped reading ages ago.

Tom always seemed quite a staunch supporter of AMD and ATi to me. He was Intel's fierecest critic during the early P4 days, and his judgements on ATi cards always seemed more favourable than the rest of the net back before the 9700 was launched. Whether this is still the case I don't know, as I stopped reading tech sites a while ago apart from Rage3D. However hearing that Tom is rubbishing A64 I may start reading again. AMD bashing is just far too much fun :)

Shovel

Can't get enough of FH
Aye ;) We'll hopefully have an increase in news over the next few weeks as I'm back at Uni and actually able to get on the PC long enough to do so. Though I've also got exams on, so we'll see whether that balances out :)

Expect a slight slowdown as well since Xavier and Bym are moving house and taking the TechNation mail server down with it :)

In fact, with that in mind we may have to make other arrangements for people to submit any news, since that wont make it through for the time being. Watch this space.

Ben/Shovel.

TUG

It's my birthday today!
Hmm I might stick with what I know and start reading HardOCP and Anandtech again with some smaller ones on the side :)

Nice feedback peeps! :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom