What mobile do you have?

Xavier

Can't get enough of FH
Personally I reckon the biggest innovation with mobiles is the fact that phones such as the P900 and SPV are user-flashable...

cameras and stuff are nice enough, but some of the updates i've seen pushed out turn devices into whole new phones :D just glad the manufactrers finally sorted their collective arses out.

Xav

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
Using a t610 as my main phone now. Camera isnt great, its slow to take a pic, grainy in light and awful in low light. However the rest of the phone is a revelation, its pulled me away from nokias for good and stopped me using my new lg 7100.

The 7100 has an ok camera, the flash definetly helps, but its still grainy.

Best camera phones still have to be the panasonic gd97 and sharp gx20 -shame about the size of the phones.

I have an 8310 sim free and in mint condition for sale for £90 if anyone wants it. Serve me well for 2 years and was serviced by Nokia for firware update within the first year. Box, manual, charger and handsfree all included along with some cases.

Xav, the p800 isnt being used? Is the spv that much better? I am seriously considering selling the t610 and lg 7100 so I can afford a p900. The motorola mpx200 and spv200 are a bit cheaper though, never used either though. Anyone who has shed any light on the qaulity of these phones?

Afx

Fledgling Freddie
Just wondering if anyone has an idea if its possible to change the menu icons etc on a t610, Because mine is on vodafone and tbh the interface looks really crappy compared to the ones ive seen on pics of the phone(i assume this is the default setup)
I guess this would require a firmware change, if thats even possible?

I assumed at first it was just something to do with the themes but changing theme from the vodafone one seems to make no difference :/

Xavier

Can't get enough of FH
Vodafone have their firmwares rebranded from the ground up, on top of adding their cheesy red theme...

The only people who can reflash the firmware on a T610 for you are sony ericsson service centers - using an application called Emma2.

Unfortunately they're are also contractually bound not to replace branded firmwares with generic ones, i.e. a phone sold with the voda branded version of a firmware must have vodafone branded versions of later firmwares installed. To install a normal firmware would remove the sim-lock, which they aren't allowed to do.

Xavier

Can't get enough of FH
Ch3tan said:
Xav, the p800 isnt being used? Is the spv that much better? I am seriously considering selling the t610 and lg 7100 so I can afford a p900. The motorola mpx200 and spv200 are a bit cheaper though, never used either though. Anyone who has shed any light on the qaulity of these phones?
The P800 is a nice enough phone, but having used the SPV/SPV-E100/SPV-E200 and XDA-II all the symban stuff pales in comparison.... Exchange Activesync alone is the nicest mobile messaging solution I've ever seen. :D

Bodhi

Once agreed with Scouse and a LibDem at same time
Afx said:
Just wondering if anyone has an idea if its possible to change the menu icons etc on a t610, Because mine is on vodafone and tbh the interface looks really crappy compared to the ones ive seen on pics of the phone(i assume this is the default setup)
I guess this would require a firmware change, if thats even possible?

I assumed at first it was just something to do with the themes but changing theme from the vodafone one seems to make no difference :/

There should be an Options in the Setting Menu to change the phone theme. Mine came with a horrendous Orange one, easily changed back to the default theme. I'm intrigued in the comments about the T610 camera, I've found it excellent except in low light (but the the Night Mode helps with this immensly), even then its still capable of good pics, you just have to have a very VERY steady hand.

Shovel

Can't get enough of FH
Xavier said:
is the T9 input as sucky and laggy as it was on the T68?
As FBM said, it is better. It does still lag though. Thankfully, it's the first T9 phone I've ever had, so I don't notice. Last phone was a Siemens C25, so anything is faster ;)

It speeds up some more if you switch off the "suggestions" popup thing too.

Xavier

Can't get enough of FH
Apparently by default it also has all dictionaries enabled, french, german, italian, english and the rest - if you go in and disable everything except english T9 then it's slightly more bearable :D

Afx

Fledgling Freddie
There should be an Options in the Setting Menu to change the phone theme. Mine came with a horrendous Orange one, easily changed back to the default theme.

Thats what i figured bodhi, But it seems its as xavier said and vodafone in their infinite wisdom(stupidity) have somehow made it impossible to alter their icon set, Changing themes on my phone merely alters the background and ringtones...I guess ill chalk it up as one more reason why i shouldve gone with orange.

Bodhi

Once agreed with Scouse and a LibDem at same time
Sorry, the option is in the Pictures/Audio folder, should be able to download more from there. If you can't vodafone truly are a bunch of homos.

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
The t9 input is laggy, but it catches up well, pain if you've got bad spelling though :p

Can't understand why nokia can have t9 run soo smothly and sony cant though. Going to see if I can get a p900 from someone other than Orange. £250 upgrade fee within the first 3 months of a contract apparently. That strikes me as rather huge.

Xavier

Can't get enough of FH
Bodhi said:
Sorry, the option is in the Pictures/Audio folder, should be able to download more from there. If you can't vodafone truly are a bunch of homos.
I just checked my T610 and all the default icons are physically rewritten with the Voda set - the best example is the default prompt to go online with the right soft button, whatever skin, theme or button set you use it's always branded with the Vodafone live logo...

But ultimately it's the networks right to rebrand any portion of a contract phones software they choose, they're selling it to their contract customers with significant subsidy, and on top of scoring themself more exposure Voda and O2 particularly have had to make huge efforts to prevent people registering new accounts and taking the handsets onto other networks.

From what I've been told the T610 is the first properly vodafone-simlocked handset the network have permitted, and by the end of Q2 next year they all will be, even prepaid.

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
Xavier said:
Apparently by default it also has all dictionaries enabled, french, german, italian, english and the rest - if you go in and disable everything except english T9 then it's slightly more bearable :D

Aha it did. In 'Settings>Language>input>'. It is a little less laggy now.

Teren

One of Freddy's beloved
Ch3tan said:
nice , it came to the times when even mobile phones are laggy :)

Xavier

Can't get enough of FH
Ch3tan said:
Aha, wasn't 100% sure if they'd fixed it in later firmwares - obviously not :/

wyrd_fish

Fledgling Freddie
my T610's T9 isn't laggy at all...

and you can only choose one language at a time

Xavier

Can't get enough of FH
which version of the firmware do you have?

-> * <- <- * <- *

to get the service menu up from the main screen iirc

wyrd_fish

Fledgling Freddie
Arghhhhhhhhhhhhh...

why has everyone suddenly gone so condisending??? i know about the service menu

R1A081

EDIT: my recent grumpy ness may be due to alck of sleep... sorry

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
Well I have the same version wyrd and by default all languages are selected, not in the t9 language menu under write messages, but under the menu path I specified above.

Xavier

Can't get enough of FH
wyrd_fish said:
Arghhhhhhhhhhhhh...

why has everyone suddenly gone so condisending??? i know about the service menu

R1A081

EDIT: my recent grumpy ness may be due to alck of sleep... sorry
I'm not really sure how you can consider me including the keypresses to the service mode condescending - last time I checked SonyEricsson weren't in the business of including it in their manuals and most users I know have never seen nor used it.

:rolleyes:

:twak:

Anyhow, as chets says it's in the menu he mentioned, I spotted a few users over at whatmobile who it worked for too, so I'm pretty sure he's not imagining it either ;)

old.user4556

Has a sexy sister. I am also a Bodhi wannabee.
I have a Nokia 5210. I loved the nokia 8210 to bits, but it was too fragile and I thought "i'd love the 8210, but in a shock resistant cover" (because i drop my phone all the time). My prayers were answered with the 5210.

I hate phones. I hate the polyphonic, shitty midi sounding ring tones on the new phones. Why anyone needs a camera built into a phone is anyones guess. Come on, the only reason you want one is to say "ooo, my phone has a camera" what *real* use does it have? Just like WAP, the novelty will die off imo.

My phone is small, robust, sends/receives texts and makes calls (most phones have had that luxury for over 100 years now). Jackpot.

Ashamed of your mobile? Then get a f*cking life, it's only a phone ;).

sorry, post night out hungover rant.

G

Xavier

Can't get enough of FH
*nominates Big G to go onto Grumpy Old Men next series*

Jonty

Fledgling Freddie
<twoPenniesWorth>

hehe :) Just following on from what Big G said above, I must admit I usually fall into the 'it's just a phone' camp, however I have begun to change my opinion.

Cameras, for instance, I have really grown to appreciate, even though I was sceptical when I was without one. Their quality may be lacking (although LG have plans for a 1.1MP camera in one of their forthcoming phones) but for just snapping things quickly when out and about, it's really nice to have that ability to do so without having to carry around a dedicated camera (although with some camera sizes today, this is becoming less of an issue). Sadly, with camera blocking technology now being tested, we may no longer be able to enjoy such things for much longer, but at least it was nice whilst it lasted (and I do appreciate the reasons for such blocking technology).

As for ringtones, I'm usually a extremely boring 'ring-ring' person, but I must admit I now have the CTU ringtone from '24' (.mp3 file). I'm still trying to decide whether that's cool or simply geeky, sadly I'm erring towards the latter.

</twoPenniesWorth>

Kind Regards

Jonty

P.S. Sorry Teren, seems this thread is destined to go off-topic :( hehe

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
Having an mp3 play as a ringtone is very cool, first saw this with the n-gage, nice feature :)

Concept04

Fledgling Freddie
I have a Nokia 3650. Not a bad phone. Very robust which is good the amount of times I drop it.

I accidentally smashed the lense cover on the camera so I called up the T-Mobile customer services claiming it just fell out. Unfortunatly when I was on hold, and the lovely operator lady came back to me, I was walking home and the shock of her loud happy voice down the line made me drop the phone, where any removable part flew off. Luckly she was still on the line when I pieced it back together and as its under warrenty I get a new one!

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
Someone just offered me a p800 in exchange for the n-gage I am offering on ebay. I hope they are serious.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom