What makes a player good?

Jjuraa

Banned
Question been bugging me for some time now.. i know there is no "universal" deffinition of a good player, as everyone has different views on playstyle. but there are people out there who are recognised as "good" and i was interested in why.

For my part, i'd think a good player should be fair (I.E. not adding on fights/zerging) Know what theyre doing enough to exceed their classes base "expectations" if you will. (For example noone expects an assasin class to beat a light tank class i.e merc, BM, zerker) WITHOUT resorting to things like lagstrafing/run through. Also a decent attitude is needed.

Now i think my chief failing is in attitude. I never add on a 1v1 fight (most people dont beleive me when i say this). Of course if it's someone like Aldoran/Dwera, i make every possible effort to add. But then theyve wound me up enough that it would take a much better person than I to resist getting them back. If i come across a solo person being beat on by 2 or more people, then i will jump in to help the solo person (whatever realm he is) but that i do in the name of evening the odds.

Im also fairly confident in my ability to play.. granted i make mistakes but i do tend to learn, and i can be at an acceptable standard of play on virtually any character i pick up as soon as ive finished setting up the quickbars.

yet for all my fair play/ability, i seldom if ever get any recognition, i wouldnt be suprised if some people reading this hadnt even heard of me. (And the majority of those who have heard of me dislike me as a result of the times when my attitude has got me into trouble) From my viewpoint there are people out there with less ability, and who constantly add and/or zerg, yet who have a much better reputation.. so i was wondering what factors go into your opinion of someone, and what makes them a good player in your eyes?

[/essay]

Succi

Fledgling Freddie
So basically you wanna know how you can get better recognition ?

1. Don't make posts like this
2. Don't make an issue out of how good you think you are
3. Do well in multiple realms on different classes
4. Play well enough for a recognised guild to take interest in you
5. Ultimately become part of a set grp that pwns the server !

Jjuraa

Banned
Succi said:
So basically you wanna know how you can get better recognition ?

recognition doesnt bother me, ive fallen out with the majority of the game community so recognition wouldnt come even if people felt inclined to give it. My question was: what sparks recognition?

I assume by reading your points that you think someone who just quietly gets on with whichever job is put in front of them, and then ultimately gets a break and into a well known guild is worth of recognition?

jamiesmallicus

One of Freddy's beloved
lo jjurra

tbh m8 i think u r a good player...but also i know a few peeps who are not very kene on you for been outspoken...
just keep playing the way u do m8..what other people think doesnt really matter

jamie :cheers:

Jjuraa

Banned
again, not looking for things directed at me atm.. (although ty Jamie)

im pretty sure you could do a long study of me an my play style and the end result would be:

Doesnt zerg.
Can play class ok.
Is a twat.

so im not really interested in that, i wanted to hear peoples personal opinions on what they think makes a player good

gohan

FH is my second home
Tuthmes said:
Aldoran is a good player according to some :p
rofl aldoran rocks my epenis grows when i see him roaming on that fat ass BD :cheers:

Elendar

One of Freddy's beloved
Jjuraa said:
again, not looking for things directed at me atm.. (although ty Jamie)

im pretty sure you could do a long study of me an my play style and the end result would be:

Doesnt zerg.
Can play class ok.
Is a twat.

so im not really interested in that, i wanted to hear peoples personal opinions on what they think makes a player good

if you want how people become good, combination of natural ability, learning from other people, and a lot expirience

if you want people to think your good, deathspam is one surefire way, classes that get a lot of ds are generally noticed more than support classes, even though it can be brilliant support in a grp and pretty bad offense

and as for recognition, who cares, as long as you rock :m00: , may as well change your lastname to lookatmeimgreat

Dorin

Fledgling Freddie
Killerbee said:
Buying dyes, isnt it Dori? ;)

by of course Killerb33, too bad most of em get lost on the way back :<

Festék 4 president

Phooka

Fledgling Freddie
good players :

- Pee outside stead of the toilet
- have 1 testicle
- Have a L33t tatoo'd on their knuckles
- Hung like a horse
- wear guildcloak IRL
- Total pimps

Manisch Depressiv

Part of the furniture
Don't think you can measuare the skill of a player in this (very unbalanced) game.

You can measuare it in others games like chess or some first person shooters or EVE or even in WoW, but for sure not in DAoC.

Unless you compare total beginners to some people who play for a while.

Zebolt

Can't get enough of FH
Manisch Depressiv said:
You can measuare it in others games like chess or some first person shooters or EVE or even in WoW, but for sure not in DAoC.
You can't rly measure skill in any real time game, luck is a to big factor. In chess and other turn based games skill is well measured tho.

And tbh, LOL at what you wrote.. what makes eve or wow any better skill measures than daoc? If you don't have an equal position (ei class/rank/spec/equipment) you can't measure anything properly..

Manisch Depressiv

Part of the furniture
Zebolt said:
You can't rly measure skill in any real time game, luck is a to big factor. In chess and other turn based games skill is well measured tho.

And tbh, LOL at what you wrote.. what makes eve or wow any better skill measures than daoc? If you don't have an equal position (ei class/rank/spec/equipment) you can't measure anything properly..

Take the connection quality and machine performance aside and you can compare real time games. Chess is not a turn based game per se, you don't have unlimited time to make a move normally, so it is time based too. No difference here. And luck is a factor in every game/sport, don't know if it differs at all...

EVE and WoW are more balanced in terms of PvP:

Every EVE player regardless of race has the access to the same skills, items and ships.

In WoW there are only 2 unique classes and the races differences between horde and alliance are neglible. A horde mage has the same access to spells and talents as an alliance mage.

Correct me if I am wrong please.

The possibilities for opposing factions are more balanced than in DAoC hence it is way easier to compare a skill of a particular player.

It is easier to compare group vs group performance in DAoC in my opinion than it is to compare individual player vs player skill.

Elendar

One of Freddy's beloved
Zebolt said:

indeed, eve is based purely on how much time you've put into combat skills etc, no matter how well you play someone who has played for longer can use better guns, and does more dmg, fires faster, etc etc

Sycho

Can't get enough of FH
Most games are based on your reflexes, eye co-ordination, experience with them type of games and knowing each other's rolls well which has a large impact on people being successful in them.However there is no "good" player, there is however players people respect which is different from each individual's perspectives this leads to people saying who is best or who is good, either way there is no answer.

You can't really say a game requires skills unless you psychically played it.(i.e used your body, not just your eyes, hands and ears.)

This is only my opinion though.

Balthasar

Fledgling Freddie
Dont think there is such thing as being good in a class in daoc.
Think the more friends you have the more think your skilled, would you say to someone who you dislike he's skilled easely?

Dont think it has to do with hitting the right styles etc either, I could do overything perfect with 1 hand and at the same time I am drinking a beer with the other hand and get all my reactive styles/ra's etc off.
And I am prolly not the only one :p, It would be the same if I would use my both hands as you cant react/do faster then your style damage/casting speed and such. (in daoc you have all the time to react on a fight anyway)

It could be picking out fights as a stealther....but oh the skill in PAing something running your way and kill him in cd stun.

And not adding skilled? or not zerging? I dont know, think it's the situation your in, for example you see a alb and mid fighting as hib and the alb is owning the mid badly and it's for sure the alb is gonna win wouldnt it be smart to attack the alb aswell so you kill him after the fight more easely? or even the mid even wins and you can take out the mid very easy aswell? then you have gained more rp then just watching, it's unhonerable yes but would you say unskilled? tbh everyone has a different point of vieuw in what is skilled and not.

Tho it's different in full group fights but I aint really familiar with that anymore.

:kissit:

Manisch Depressiv

Part of the furniture
Elendar said:
indeed, eve is based purely on how much time you've put into combat skills etc, no matter how well you play someone who has played for longer can use better guns, and does more dmg, fires faster, etc etc

Have a different opinion on that.

I am quite sure there are players with 1,5 million skill points beating veterans with 20+ million skill points.

By using deception, strategy and tactic and different ship configurations.

In DAoC almost every hib caster opens with stun. There is no place to develop skills because of the lack of possibilities. Too many things are I-Win-Situations. There is no place to develop skills because some types of classes will never beat some other.

As I said, it gets a bit better when comparing group vs group, because you can speak about a configuration that neglates the vast class differences between the realms somehow, communication and so on and I have very much respect for Maelstrom here (though making your tanks CC'able for my Sorc would be good too :pPP), but comparing individual player skill is almost impossible for me in DAoC.

One-two-shotting in 1 vs 1 doesn't require any skill when you have 99% chance of success.

Haggus

Can't get enough of FH
Experience at playing your character, knowing what to do if certain situation, wiether to run or fight and most of all - wear pink, be a fish, and have high damage output ! Oh and get lots of KS!!!

Yeah but no but Yeah... Experience is very important to be a good character tbh

Jacilja

Fledgling Freddie
ohh crap my bards never going to be skilled, death spam is a foren concept, unless its me who dies :p

Maeloch

Part of the furniture
How much u can drink, the rest is for dweebs.

Mael, 50th ment.

robbe

Loyal Freddie
if u wanna know whos the best on prydwen looky duskwave :>

it says best player is

Arauddry WoWpwndme!

second place...

Rambo IV!

third place...

Osril ParanoidBear!

congrats to these guys:)

Users who are viewing this thread