What makes a player good?

aegnor

Fledgling Freddie
Every game requires skill to play. Even a game like tic-tac-toe requires skill but the possibilities are so limited that it's negligible.
In games like DAoC player skill is related to reflexes, positioning, targetting, movement, camera control, using the right abilities at the right time, taking advantage of terrain, knowledge of classes/abilities, knowledge of enemy players. As skills these are improved through experience.
If you play in a group then other things come into play like teamwork, communication and coordination between grp members.
Strategy is always important, taking advantage of your abilities and avoiding situations where you are at a disadvantage.
Then there's technical factors like lag and fps, which are mostly dependant on your computer setup and your wallet, but that can make a lot of difference in gameplay.
By design a particular class or class combo might be better suited to face another and have the upper hand in some situations (be it solo or grp), it does have an influence on the outcome of a fight but it doesn't directly relate to skill, it is just how the game works. Now if you compare the gameplay of several different players with similar characters then it is easier to evaluate skill, but it's still something a bit subjective.
In RPG's how you equip and spec your char is also important and can be considered a skill, knowing what items to pick requires knowledge of the game, you have to make choices and compromises that will have impact on how you perform. Better equipped chars have a natural advantage, which can be unfair because equipment is related to playtime invested on the char.
Skill and ethics are separate things though, someone that uses grief play and acts like a twat can still be a good player, even though most people would probably hate the person or just ignore her.

Zebolt

Can't get enough of FH
Manisch Depressiv said:
Chess is not a turn based game per se, you don't have unlimited time to make a move normally, so it is time based too.
Erm.. lol? What does the fact that you don't unlimited time have to do about something being turn based or not? And if chess isn't turn based I know I must have missed the whole meaning of chess xD

Manisch Depressiv said:
There is no place to develop skills because of the lack of possibilities. Too many things are I-Win-Situations. There is no place to develop skills because some types of classes will never beat some other.
That's purely bullshit. I've beaten every class (including mid ones) in this game with my runemaster and probably got beaten by every class (at least most of them) in the game. If you're saying the player behind the class doesn't make a difference I think you should try the game again and see what you've missed.

Grund

Fledgling Freddie
Balthasar said:
Think the more friends you have the more think your skilled, would you say to someone who you dislike he's skilled easely?
I dont like Madition altho i think hes skilled player :D

But back to the point. Imo theres alot of things that makes a player 'skilled'. Some will say its just knowing hes class. From my perspective good player know what ablity/skill/spell to use in given situation, he wil know what to do and what not to do , also reaction time is very important. Luck is 50% of succes but still there is 50% for something that u can call skill. On avalon ive met alot of unskilled players in my terms of skilled player. For exaample: RR10 MA targeting pladin as first when casters were making greaseballs from their support,MA targeting ppl that are 1500-2000 away from them when having key classes under their nose, lack of interrupt vs RR5+ grps, healers that were spamming SH even if their whole grp was full on health or they just won mezz, casters running w/o selfbuffs and so on... But still its only IMHO :D

Huntingtons

Resident Freddy
Sycho said:
You can't really say a game requires skills unless you psychically played it.(i.e used your body, not just your eyes, hands and ears.)

This is only my opinion though.

do games like chess have no skill whatsoever? :eek:

ok. First of all, what is skill in a game like this? is it the knowledge you achieve from long time gaming, the knowledge you can use to determine your enemy class and role in a fight (in talking strictly 8v8 btw) or what is it?
i belive that there's skill in a game like daoc. I think the skill is to use your knowledge to turn the tides of a fight.

Marchus

Fledgling Freddie
I are sk1lled! Can use 4 buttons, and make huuuge kill spam!
;)

Sharkith

Can't get enough of FH
Marchus said:
;)

bloody right too no wonder we all try to hack you down four buttons or not!!

;)

Elendar

One of Freddy's beloved
Marchus said:
;)

funny fishy :fluffle:

A lot skill is making the right choices, what target to hit, what spell to cast etc, there is definitly a lot of skill involved in each class. if rr where the only thing that mattered we'ed lose to rr3 groups when our ras are down, yet we destroy them without ras. and as for grp setup being perfect to negate as much enemies as possible, we've not run the same setup 2 days in a row for ages. and say skill
a good paccer like madi will single target insta the enemys ccer then castable mez the rest, a less skilled ccer would just ae insta the enemy grp and wouldn't be able to pick out the ccer

Marchus

Fledgling Freddie
just went eating, and now I can make a normal post...:

1: know your calss, your enemy, the places, the game mechanics...
2: use your abilitys in the right time, in the right way
3: able to get/make a good equipment (sum1 make meh an sc pleaze :eek: )
4: know what happening to u, to your group, when what to do...

imo, but there can be 5: 6: 7: too... Depends on what side u wiev this.

scarloc

Fledgling Freddie
Sycho said:
You can't really say a game requires skills unless you psychically played it.(i.e used your body, not just your eyes, hands and ears.)

didn't terms like "madskillz" come from games like quake and cs? daft to say you dont need skills to play FPS. Admittedly daoc is different, but you need to know what spell to cast (what gun to use), where to be (positioning) and look out for your mates (teamwork, awareness). These are all skills :]

Manisch Depressiv

Part of the furniture
Zebolt said:
Erm.. lol? What does the fact that you don't unlimited time have to do about something being turn based or not? And if chess isn't turn based I know I must have missed the whole meaning of chess xD

That's purely bullshit. I've beaten every class (including mid ones) in this game with my runemaster and probably got beaten by every class (at least most of them) in the game. If you're saying the player behind the class doesn't make a difference I think you should try the game again and see what you've missed.

Try harder reading my posts.

If it's skill for you to double bolt some tank and insta kill him cause he was just in range out of randomness, okay...

If it's skill for you to get shield slammed with no purge up and die in the stun duration cause a tank was just in range out of randomness, okay...

If this is the way you call the game is balanced, cause every class killed you once and you killed every other class, okay...

Btw., chess can be as real time as a Formula 1 race (see blitz chess), you made the difference between turn based games and real time games in regard on this topic and there is none.

And I didn't say the player skill behind the game doesn't make a difference, my main statement is that measuaring individual skill in DAoC is harder than in other games, cause the balance is so broken. Learn to quote 101...

But go ahead explain me the skill of the player playing a Warlock...

Sharkith

Can't get enough of FH
aegnor said:
Every game requires skill to play.

Even snakes and ladders?

:)

A good player uses the light side of the force a bad player uses the dark side - there was me thinking it was obvious.....

:)

Marchus

Fledgling Freddie
for different classes u need different skillz. U need skill for rechambering and then push 1 button!

Martok

Part of the furniture
what makes a good player hmmm

Lost of respect for other players
fun to be with and play with
good @ there class this doesnt have to mean most RP's.

Sycho

Can't get enough of FH
scarloc said:
didn't terms like "madskillz" come from games like quake and cs? daft to say you dont need skills to play FPS. Admittedly daoc is different, but you need to know what spell to cast (what gun to use), where to be (positioning) and look out for your mates (teamwork, awareness). These are all skills :]

You could say they are skills, you could say they are fast reactions caused from a lot of experience playing the game.I put it too blunt in my post, what i really meaned was video games do not require as much skill as other stuff, like sports simply because your body is more less involved, for example a pro skateboarder would have more skill than a person just riding a bike.Experience plays a big part in this, as for playing chess which again is mainly thinking before doing things aswell as having a lot of patience, experience also wins here which helps an awful lot on videogames too.

Sycho

Can't get enough of FH
Martok said:
what makes a good player hmmm

Lost of respect for other players
fun to be with and play with
good @ there class this doesnt have to mean most RP's.

Totally agree.

Good player= one who is having fun at the end of the day and not a total asshole to the community.

DeadOnArrival

Loyal Freddie
Jjuraa said:
Question been bugging me for some time now.. i know there is no "universal" deffinition of a good player, as everyone has different views on playstyle. but there are people out there who are recognised as "good" and i was interested in why.

For my part, i'd think a good player should be fair (I.E. not adding on fights/zerging) Know what theyre doing enough to exceed their classes base "expectations" if you will. (For example noone expects an assasin class to beat a light tank class i.e merc, BM, zerker) WITHOUT resorting to things like lagstrafing/run through. Also a decent attitude is needed.

Now i think my chief failing is in attitude. I never add on a 1v1 fight (most people dont beleive me when i say this). Of course if it's someone like Aldoran/Dwera, i make every possible effort to add. But then theyve wound me up enough that it would take a much better person than I to resist getting them back. If i come across a solo person being beat on by 2 or more people, then i will jump in to help the solo person (whatever realm he is) but that i do in the name of evening the odds.

Im also fairly confident in my ability to play.. granted i make mistakes but i do tend to learn, and i can be at an acceptable standard of play on virtually any character i pick up as soon as ive finished setting up the quickbars.

yet for all my fair play/ability, i seldom if ever get any recognition, i wouldnt be suprised if some people reading this hadnt even heard of me. (And the majority of those who have heard of me dislike me as a result of the times when my attitude has got me into trouble) From my viewpoint there are people out there with less ability, and who constantly add and/or zerg, yet who have a much better reputation.. so i was wondering what factors go into your opinion of someone, and what makes them a good player in your eyes?

[/essay]

Gonna be honest with you jj i think your an excellent player and i only ever see you soloing. You can take one hell of a beating and still come out on top when theres a few on ya. I dont think Succi should posted that reply straight away as i think this is an intersting post.

For me an Decent Player is someone who can pick themselves up after losing against someone, go back for more and then come out on top irrelevant of timers and realm abilities.

A Decent player is someone who is not afriad to run around soloing, get zerged, and come back to try and avenge himself.

A Decent player is someone who can play their Character to the best of his ability with the equipment he/she has. Also being on top of any advantages that may come along.ie most shades have specced to 51 pierce recently and thats after realm rank.

Finally a Decent player is the one who stands to one side when a 1 v 1 battle is taking place, /salutes the winner, lets the winner heal themselves, and then fights that player. That shows Decency in my opinion.

[HB]Jpeg

Loyal Freddie
Jjuraa said:
Question been bugging me for some time now.. i know there is no "universal" deffinition of a good player, as everyone has different views on playstyle. but there are people out there who are recognised as "good" and i was interested in why.

For my part, i'd think a good player should be fair (I.E. not adding on fights/zerging) Know what theyre doing enough to exceed their classes base "expectations" if you will. (For example noone expects an assasin class to beat a light tank class i.e merc, BM, zerker) WITHOUT resorting to things like lagstrafing/run through. Also a decent attitude is needed.

Now i think my chief failing is in attitude. I never add on a 1v1 fight (most people dont beleive me when i say this). Of course if it's someone like Aldoran/Dwera, i make every possible effort to add. But then theyve wound me up enough that it would take a much better person than I to resist getting them back. If i come across a solo person being beat on by 2 or more people, then i will jump in to help the solo person (whatever realm he is) but that i do in the name of evening the odds.

Im also fairly confident in my ability to play.. granted i make mistakes but i do tend to learn, and i can be at an acceptable standard of play on virtually any character i pick up as soon as ive finished setting up the quickbars.

yet for all my fair play/ability, i seldom if ever get any recognition, i wouldnt be suprised if some people reading this hadnt even heard of me. (And the majority of those who have heard of me dislike me as a result of the times when my attitude has got me into trouble) From my viewpoint there are people out there with less ability, and who constantly add and/or zerg, yet who have a much better reputation.. so i was wondering what factors go into your opinion of someone, and what makes them a good player in your eyes?

[/essay]

imo good player = person who knows there class inside out and knows what to do and when,,

as far as when some folks claim its skil... imo thats BS ... no such thing as skill. just knowing the game .... knowledge is power :)

/emote . shame im a dumb ass :(

gohan

FH is my second home
robbe said:
if u wanna know whos the best on prydwen looky duskwave :>

it says best player is

Arauddry WoWpwndme!

second place...

Rambo IV!

third place...

Osril ParanoidBear!

congrats to these guys:)

best? or played the longest? tbh the new rambo sucks lol see him dying to rr 3 ect all the time so....

an ye wearing pink is the win

Zebolt

Can't get enough of FH
Manisch Depressiv said:
If it's skill for you to double bolt some tank and insta kill him cause he was just in range out of randomness, okay...
I don't have double bolt. And bolts suck on tanks btw xD

Manisch Depressiv said:
If it's skill for you to get shield slammed with no purge up and die in the stun duration cause a tank was just in range out of randomness, okay...
I've never ever mentioned anything close to what ou just wrote and have no idea where you got that from.. ^^

Manisch Depressiv said:
If this is the way you call the game is balanced, cause every class killed you once and you killed every other class, okay...
I never said that the game was balanced cuz' I've killed every class and gotten killed by every class. What I said was a reply of "There is no place to develop skills because some types of classes will never beat some other." which is not true at all cuz' then I could never have beaten all classes nor got beaten by all. Maybe you should try to read my posts more careful.

Manisch Depressiv said:
Btw., chess can be as real time as a Formula 1 race (see blitz chess), you made the difference between turn based games and real time games in regard on this topic and there is none.
Do you know the expresion "turn based"? It means that one player does something while the other player have to wait for his turn to do something. If you think that isn't what you do in chess and if you think that is what you do in formula 1, you should look over both sports again and read the rules :>

Manisch Depressiv said:
And I didn't say the player skill behind the game doesn't make a difference, my main statement is that measuaring individual skill in DAoC is harder than in other games, cause the balance is so broken. Learn to quote 101...
Youn said that "There is no place to develop skills because some types of classes will never beat some other." Never.. You said never.. Which means that there is no difference if there is a very skilled payer behind the class that will allways lose to the other class even with a random playing. Never lose doesn't mean that it's harder to show skills but that there is not possible. Maybe that's not what you meant but that's what you wrote so don't come with other crap ^^

Manisch Depressiv said:
But go ahead explain me the skill of the player playing a Warlock...
I actually don't know much about the class so I can't rly. Haven't bothered to check it's ablilities up close cuz' the class have never appealed to me.

Straef

Can't get enough of FH
Eladamri said:
yer camp beno bridges with fg albs RR5-r8 and kill duoers and trios that pawns! :)
Should bomb people instead or roll a stlong archer? :<

daoc_xianghua

Fledgling Freddie
skill doesnt exist in MMO´s
a better word for it would be knowledge

only virtual games you can talk about skill = fps games cuz there you need have fast reaction and good eye-hand coordination (aiming)

only class in daoc you could maaayyyybbeeee talk about skill is CC classes but the reaction you need there is a joke compared to fps games so cant rly call that skill either.

Asysh_pryd

Fledgling Freddie
Phooka said:
good players :

- Pee outside stead of the toilet
- have 1 testicle
- Have a L33t tatoo'd on their knuckles
- Hung like a horse
- wear guildcloak IRL
- Total pimps

hahahahahahaaa

Zebolt

Can't get enough of FH
daoc_xianghua said:
skill doesnt exist in MMO´s
a better word for it would be knowledge

only virtual games you can talk about skill = fps games cuz there you need have fast reaction and good eye-hand coordination (aiming)
Aim and press a button.. Yeah, that's requires lots of skill xE

FPS is one button class ftw :p

And you need to aim in daoc too, you actually have to press the target you wanna fire on (which is just the same as aiming since it involves moving your pointer over the target). From there you have lots of possiblities to make the outcome different, in fps you have very few if not only one. And in fps you don't have to avoid getting interupted or keep a tank from your ass.

FPS games are a joke compared to MMORPG's..

Dorin

Fledgling Freddie
Zebolt said:
Aim and press a button.. Yeah, that's requires lots of skill xE

FPS is one button class ftw :p

And you need to aim in daoc too, you actually have to press the target you wanna fire on (which is just the same as aiming since it involves moving your pointer over the target). From there you have lots of possiblities to make the outcome different, in fps you have very few if not only one. And in fps you don't have to avoid getting interupted or keep a tank from your ass.

FPS games are a joke compared to MMORPG's..

could argue over 15 pages about that :D not with me though cBa :[

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom