What makes a player good?

Ilum

Can't get enough of FH
Well thats a pile of crap imo Xianguaha...saying only FPS got skills. Is it so that the only thing that you connect with skills, is the ability to click on a polygon very fast? :p

In my opinion, reaction times, overview, ability to determine when to use what and prioritize your tasks correctly is all a part of the skillset that will make you more successful in RvR.

I would agree, as far as I know, that the general level in DaoC is below that of RTS games (only other category I know really). But the milisecond faster one reacts to the other or understands a situation is still all about skill.

www.dictionary.com
---
4 entries found for skill.
skill ( P ) Pronunciation Key (skl)
n.
Proficiency, facility, or dexterity that is acquired or developed through training or experience. See Synonyms at ability.

An art, trade, or technique, particularly one requiring use of the hands or body.
A developed talent or ability: writing skills.
Obsolete. A reason; a cause.
---

Manisch Depressiv

Part of the furniture
Zebolt said:
Aim and press a button.. Yeah, that's requires lots of skill xE

FPS is one button class ftw :p

And you need to aim in daoc too, you actually have to press the target you wanna fire on (which is just the same as aiming since it involves moving your pointer over the target). From there you have lots of possiblities to make the outcome different, in fps you have very few if not only one. And in fps you don't have to avoid getting interupted or keep a tank from your ass.

FPS games are a joke compared to MMORPG's..

Haehae...

Ever played a FPS? I don't see any real difference between a MMORPG and a FPS.

FPS is not only about pressing a button, it is about being at the right time to the right place doing the right thing like in every other game too. Understanding of the maps and enemy movements and quick calculations to adjust in order to win require skill. If you play a clan war and your team wipes and you are the only one left vs 5 or 8 and still beat a good team, then it has to do with skill too (and some luck :p).

And by the way when Osril charges me and Miracle DD'es at the same time while my PUG is purging the Mezz of your Pac Healer, I have very few possibilities to make the outcome different, so don't lie!!!111 :clap:

Much easier to compare skill in FPS than in MMORPG too, but had that already covered.

Overdriven

Dumpster Fire of The South
Be like me. I'm a good player :p Several high grouped have looked for me and I dont zerg... oO Though I'm a shaman :(

TheBinarySurfer

Can't get enough of FH
The waffle aside, hard question to answer, top of my list are these 4:
Flexibility - ability to adapt to changing situation quickly.
Perseverence - Not quitting after the first death.
Tactics - some understanding of basic rvr/pve tactics aside from charrrge!
Character - ToA/MLs etc etc.

A

Ahh Hha

[HB]Jpeg said:
as far as when some folks claim its skil... imo thats BS ... no such thing as skill. just knowing the game .... knowledge is power :)

/emote . shame im a dumb ass :(

That is the dumbest shit I ever heard. How can u claim that knowledge is power since it aint. It´s only power when u know how to use it :touch:

haarewin

Fledgling Freddie
TheBinarySurfer said:
Character - ToA/MLs etc etc.

thats skill?
um.. no. thats time spent pveing.

i think that adapting to situations appropriately, and being able to quickly sum up a situation and predict an outcome are what makes 'skillful' players. this applies to both pve and rvr.

Zebolt

Can't get enough of FH
Manisch Depressiv said:
Haehae...

Ever played a FPS? I don't see any real difference between a MMORPG and a FPS.
Yes, I've played most of the FPS games ppl talk about and alot, I'm a power gamer and has been for many years.

Manisch Depressiv said:
FPS is not only about pressing a button, it is about being at the right time to the right place doing the right thing like in every other game too. Understanding of the maps and enemy movements and quick calculations to adjust in order to win require skill. If you play a clan war and your team wipes and you are the only one left vs 5 or 8 and still beat a good team, then it has to do with skill too (and some luck :p).
I didn't say it was "just" about pressing a button now did I? I said it was a one button class or game rather since I just wanted to compare it with BD or such. You only press one button in fights, fire. Either you kill your opponent or he you, by aiming better or by quicker reaction, you still only press that fire button. Ofc it's about enemy knowledge and tacticts but much less than in a mmorpg. The knowlege enough to see what class you meet and what he might do against you is something you don't usually have to worry about in a FPS. They have a few different guns that can be used and after the first shot you will know what he has. And you're comparing 1 vs or even 1 vs 8 in a fps vs daoc. Well if you were on a pllace in daoc where there were lots of things to hide behind and the 8 enemies weren't running together you could do the exact same thing in daoc. Just as you don't stand much chance against the 8 players in a FPS if they ran /sticked to eachother..

Manisch Depressiv said:
And by the way when Osril charges me and Miracle DD'es at the same time while my PUG is purging the Mezz of your Pac Healer, I have very few possibilities to make the outcome different, so don't lie!!!111 :clap:
Well, what do you do in a FPS game when you're guild have died and you're left with 3 players (aiming at you ready to fire) that have much better and faster weapons and armor than you (higher RR) and that you know are one of the better players around?

Ilum

Can't get enough of FH
no offense tbh but speaking of 1 button classes bonedancers are pretty far from it while dark runemasters are as close as you get :p

Zebolt

Can't get enough of FH
Old.Ilum said:
no offense tbh but speaking of 1 button classes bonedancers are pretty far from it while dark runemasters are as close as you get :p
None taken since I wasn't the one that made the BD called a one button class and even if it is or not it's just a simile and are not worth mentioning. But for all means keep marking words if it makes you happy \o>

Manisch Depressiv

Part of the furniture
Zebolt said:
Well, what do you do in a FPS game when you're guild have died and you're left with 3 players (aiming at you ready to fire) that have much better and faster weapons and armor than you (higher RR) and that you know are one of the better players around?

Type suicide in console so they don't get the kill I guess :clap:.

TheBinarySurfer

Can't get enough of FH
haarewin said:
thats skill?
um.. no. thats time spent pveing.

i think that adapting to situations appropriately, and being able to quickly sum up a situation and predict an outcome are what makes 'skillful' players. this applies to both pve and rvr.
Sorry was typing it fast in work - shoulda been clearer - the ability to use that toa/mls effectively and judiciously indicates skill...

Anarch

Fledgling Freddie
Old.Ilum said:
OMFG FIRST TIME A ALB/HIB CONFESS THATS bD´S ARENT THAT EASY TO PLAY AS THE GENERAL POPULATION OF GIMPS THINK!

haha gimps sry for CAps bit drunk atm xD

And ilum sucks tbh my char rox0r on avalon!.)

TheBinarySurfer

Can't get enough of FH
Ahh Hha said:
That is the dumbest shit I ever heard. How can u claim that knowledge is power since it aint. It´s only power when u know how to use it :touch:
Any unapplied knowledge is effectively useless - he's quite right - it equates to power when you find a way to apply it to a situation to give you the edge.

Slightly off topic wibble - beautiful night of rvr tonight all concerned, ran an excellent group all night, some very nice fights all night long. My personal favourite was when we hit 3fg (ish) hibs mid-evening and still managed to take 1.5fg down before kissing the dirt ourselves :fluffle:

<Salute> Mids/Hibs.

Little question to the hibs - notice there are less and less new enchanters/elds/ments around lately, just the old guard really (maeloch etc etc) - you going back to tankalot too or you just worried about the heretic rr5 RA? Curious.
Definately seeing a shift to tankalot in alb especially the last two weeks.

Maeloch

Part of the furniture
Osril said the most sensible thing, even tho' he is in maelstrom.

Mael, 50th ment.

Anarch

Fledgling Freddie
Maeloch said:
Osril said the most sensible thing, even tho' he is in maelstrom.

Mael, 50th ment.
plz ban this fotm stunner xD :wub:

MKJ

Fledgling Freddie
Eh I was gonna put the technical shit for this down but nah.

Wot makes a good player?

Look no further than me.

Why?

Cos I have turned a gimped alt around so much that he is the most feared thing to meet in Thid bar for bloody buffed crush mercs. And that is whilst unbuffed.

Now that is fooking extra-ordinarily amazingly good.

Who can say otherwise?

MKJ = Famous Thugs!

And another thing you go on about good fights. Well the best fights ever seen and experienced by yu 50 lads have been against me! I make the game interestingly different. Come on now own up!

Jupiter

Fledgling Freddie
MKJ said:
Eh I was gonna put the technical shit for this down but nah.

Wot makes a good player?

Look no further than me.

Why?

Cos I have turned a gimped alt around so much that he is the most feared thing to meet in Thid bar for bloody buffed crush mercs. And that is whilst unbuffed.

Now that is fooking extra-ordinarily amazingly good.

Who can say otherwise?

MKJ = Famous Thugs!

And another thing you go on about good fights. Well the best fights ever seen and experienced by yu 50 lads have been against me! I make the game interestingly different. Come on now own up!

hahhaha wb m8, was begining to miss u :clap:

Puppet

Part of the furniture
Anarch said:
OMFG FIRST TIME A ALB/HIB CONFESS THATS bD´S ARENT THAT EASY TO PLAY AS THE GENERAL POPULATION OF GIMPS THINK!

I think its the fact a bonedancer can smack 1 button down and STILL win is what pisses off most people. You really need quite a good dps to kill a bonedancer solo.

And the fact BD's have so many I-win buttons make it even more retarded. Jugger+Banespike while strafing; look pet hitting me for 1K and I hit for OOV,OOV,OOV, wow 250. TWF, the insta LT (which seems never to be OOV with the fucktard strafing), the healing pets etc etc

Anarch

Fledgling Freddie
Puppet said:
I think its the fact a bonedancer can smack 1 button down and STILL win is what pisses off most people. You really need quite a good dps to kill a bonedancer solo.

And the fact BD's have so many I-win buttons make it even more retarded. Jugger+Banespike while strafing; look pet hitting me for 1K and I hit for OOV,OOV,OOV, wow 250. TWF, the insta LT (which seems never to be OOV with the fucktard strafing), the healing pets etc etc
hihih as Nightshade you hit what 2 button + restealth ?.p Vs caster that is :cheers:

Puppet

Part of the furniture
Anarch said:
hihih as Nightshade you hit what 2 button + restealth ?.p Vs caster that is :cheers:

Not sure; dont play a NS but there's some skill involved in lining up the PA + CD, sometimes need to switch weapons (Resist-buffs, more poisons etc) and even then its still not guaranteed win if enemy hops around abit and manages to QC CC on you etc.

Really dont wanna compare that to a bonedancer smacking the insta-LT and win everything in interrupt-wars and against medium-high'ish RR melee's depending on your ML-path basically.

Basically BD is like any other caster except they got healingpets + insta LT on 1500 range AND banelord (rotfl); so thats why its such easy-mode. Not because its perhaps 1 or 2 buttons; but because you basically got all the tools to guarantee your win versus any caster.

TheBinarySurfer

Can't get enough of FH
SM's are nearly as bad - bodguarding pet - how much screaming would happen if cabby had bg'ing pets?...

Anarch

Fledgling Freddie
TheBinarySurfer said:
SM's are nearly as bad - bodguarding pet - how much screaming would happen if cabby had bg'ing pets?...
then they prolly would loose there chain stunning etc wich is as bad as Sm pet imo.procc chanse for cabby pets is 99% or summit

Mnexxiz

Fledgling Freddie
Skill is just one part of the equation.
Manners is the other part.

A player can be as skilled (using the abilities they have to maximum effort) as they want - if in case of a kill they behave they like 10 year old l33t a55h0l3s jumping on the corpse, taunting and jolting - in my eyes they are not "good" players.

"Good" players have another skill in addition to just playing their class well - make the game fun for their realm mates and enemies most of the time. No one will ever make it all the time - after all we are all human.

Puppet

Part of the furniture
Anarch said:
then they prolly would loose there chain stunning etc wich is as bad as Sm pet imo.procc chanse for cabby pets is 99% or summit

Yeah; but they fixed that now; and can only stun once every 15 seconds oO

Also SM pets can stun too (!) and lifetap proc, parry AND intercept :p

Justicator

Fledgling Freddie
"What makes a player good?"

Hmm... Dunno. On US servers it's pretty much who gets the most whine threads on VN ^^ But nah really, imo if a player knows how to use his class well etc , he's good :p

Radar, spiraling, lag exploiting, assjamming threads... Been there, done that...

Anarch

Fledgling Freddie
Puppet said:

ye but procc rate arent that high compared to cabby pets ^^

Dumle

Fledgling Freddie
Puppet said:

Isnt it 1s stun every 5s? Or do they have special rules for immunity?

pip

Banned
erm

Jjuraa said:
Question been bugging me for some time now.. i know there is no "universal" deffinition of a good player, as everyone has different views on playstyle. but there are people out there who are recognised as "good" and i was interested in why.

For my part, i'd think a good player should be fair (I.E. not adding on fights/zerging) Know what theyre doing enough to exceed their classes base "expectations" if you will. (For example noone expects an assasin class to beat a light tank class i.e merc, BM, zerker) WITHOUT resorting to things like lagstrafing/run through. Also a decent attitude is needed.

Now i think my chief failing is in attitude. I never add on a 1v1 fight (most people dont beleive me when i say this). Of course if it's someone like Aldoran/Dwera, i make every possible effort to add. But then theyve wound me up enough that it would take a much better person than I to resist getting them back. If i come across a solo person being beat on by 2 or more people, then i will jump in to help the solo person (whatever realm he is) but that i do in the name of evening the odds.

Im also fairly confident in my ability to play.. granted i make mistakes but i do tend to learn, and i can be at an acceptable standard of play on virtually any character i pick up as soon as ive finished setting up the quickbars.

yet for all my fair play/ability, i seldom if ever get any recognition, i wouldnt be suprised if some people reading this hadnt even heard of me. (And the majority of those who have heard of me dislike me as a result of the times when my attitude has got me into trouble) From my viewpoint there are people out there with less ability, and who constantly add and/or zerg, yet who have a much better reputation.. so i was wondering what factors go into your opinion of someone, and what makes them a good player in your eyes?

[/essay]
i no were u comming from m8 and if u feel u cant add in this game is comming down to the albs crying about it as they fighting rr1 and they rr 10 and need to win i say fook em all add with me anytime u like and if u dont help i put u on /ignore list

pip

Banned
erm

Puppet said:

a race u stay away from if solo :worthy:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom