What does everyone do?

K

Karlo

Just outta interest what does everyone do with there lives when not playing camelot?

Ive just graduated from Univeristy of Southampton and am doing a masters degree in Human Origins startng october.

Atm ive got a summer job working in genealogy (family historys) geting paid shit all, to do shit all.

So what do the rest of you do?

A

Arnor

when not playing daoc i've been """studying""" and sleeping and drinking more or less since retail.

Currently i have a office job and come fall ill start studying psychology, thinking of getting a masters in that. depends on how much i like it.

A

adari

Doing nothing at all this summer, just preparing for a last year at school n then im off to uni to study classics or egyptology.

B

Bellona

I finish my military service 2 months ago, jsut been drinking, partying and playing daoc since...

going to start on an Engineer study in about a month

K

Karnage

Part time work, party, pub.

Waiting to start Uni. in a couple of months

K

Karam_gruul

why does 'everyone' go to uni? its silly, its just a fashion accesory now... i mean, i know for a fact that a degree in nearly anything wont get u a better job than someone that left school at 16. infact you'll prolly end up with a lower paying job than someone that did.

people think that by going to uni, they're guaranteed a decent job when they leave, but thats bollocks. my brother has done a degree in geology, and is now doing a PHD, and he's looking around the job market and theres 'nothing' for him. people waste time going to uni because its sposed to be fun, and at the end of the day, they come out 10 grand in debt, without a job and finding it hard to get anything.

K

Karlo

Originally posted by Karam_gruul
why does 'everyone' go to uni? its silly, its just a fashion accesory now... i mean, i know for a fact that a degree in nearly anything wont get u a better job than someone that left school at 16. infact you'll prolly end up with a lower paying job than someone that did.

people think that by going to uni, they're guaranteed a decent job when they leave, but thats bollocks. my brother has done a degree in geology, and is now doing a PHD, and he's looking around the job market and theres 'nothing' for him. people waste time going to uni because its sposed to be fun, and at the end of the day, they come out 10 grand in debt, without a job and finding it hard to get anything.

TBH karam I went and go to uni to furthur my knowledge base and learn about something I have a genuine interest in. Yes I want to go on to do my phd, but thats nt because I want to earn more money when I come out of it, but because its something I truely want to do. And you say you know for a fact, ffs look at statistics.

How many people earning £100,000 + a year haven't got at least a degree. If you want to open up your own business then fine, but you wont earn that sort of cash without furhtur education.

Not only does uni bring you an education, it builds social skills, team work, organization and self-motivation, all skills looked at by employers.

C

Cap'n Sissyfoo

I went to Uni to study something I enjoy. I never went with aspirations of getting a good degree and getting a high paying uber job with sexeh secretary. Hell, I even went to a welsh uni because they had one of the better ~insert degree~ departments around. :p

/edit By 'good degree' I mean something useful like 'Business Management for Twats 101' or something dull and crap like that.

K

Karam_gruul

Originally posted by Karlo
TBH karam I went and go to uni to furthur my knowledge base and learn about something I have a genuine interest in. Yes I want to go on to do my phd, but thats nt because I want to earn more money when I come out of it, but because its something I truely want to do. And you say you know for a fact, ffs look at statistics.

How many people earning £100,000 + a year haven't got at least a degree. If you want to open up your own business then fine, but you wont earn that sort of cash without furhtur education.

Not only does uni bring you an education, it builds social skills, team work, organization and self-motivation, all skills looked at by employers.

ok lets see, my friend has just finished a degree in computing, he got a first, did amazingly well, and he's been unable to find a job for a year and 1 month now.

even he admits, that employers would FAR rather have actual hands on experience from someone than just the knowledge. i mean, who would YOU employ into a computing job, if theres a guy that left school at 16 with ok qualifications and is now 22 and has been working in the computing industry with good references since he was 16, or some guy thats just come out of uni, with no real work experience, no work skills, no references... nothing?

the best kinda social skills and team building skills you can aquire are within a work environment. i find it hard to beleive that watching countdown every day can be called social, or team building, or organisational.

face it, what your doing is a HUGE waste of time, money and effort. you'll just come out like everyone else, go into a dead end office job and suck for hte rest of your life.

the only worthwhile kinda degrees are things such as economics, business etc, something that can actually be used well in the job market. not.. egyptology or whatever that bollocks was.

C

Cap'n Sissyfoo

I have a diploma or two in programming and nobody will take me because I have no experience. Sometimes you get lucky and find a job and sometimes you get fucked in the ass by the employer because they don't want a 'wet behind the ears' graduate.

K

Karam_gruul

Originally posted by Sissyfoo
I have a diploma or two in programming and nobody will take me because I have no experience. Sometimes you get lucky and find a job and sometimes you get fucked in the ass by the employer because they don't want a 'wet behind the ears' graduate.

eeeeexactly, a far more worthwhile thing to do is an apprentiship in something useful. theres nothing an employer likes more than someone that is willing to work and learn at the same time. uni isnt work, doing 5 hours a month is NOT work.... its just... annoying.

K

Karlo

Or...

I could enjoy my life and what I do and not be bitter.

I study palaeolithic archaeology, yes it has no real practical application and it wont help in industry. But as far as I remember karam your political inclincation on political compass was fairly left wing, so why are you concerned with working for a co-orporation to earn money?

I dont care about material gain, I dont care about earning a fortune, all I care about is enjoying the job I do and enjoying my life, wheres the problem?

edit: and if you really think that uni is 5 hours work a month then you need to get some realisation. I worked fucking hard to get my degree, and the third year was tough. Try researching and writing 3 3000 word essays a week and tell me its easy. Plus a 14,000 word dissertation!

Atm I have a holiday job earning £7 an hour, not great but helps, working full time. And I can easily tell you this isn't half as stressfull as uni.

K

Karam_gruul

Or...

I could enjoy my life and what I do and not be bitter.

I study palaeolithic archaeology, yes it has no real practical application and it wont help in industry. But as far as I remember karam your political inclincation on political compass was fairly left wing, so why are you concerned with working for a co-orporation to earn money?

I dont care about material gain, I dont care about earning a fortune, all I care about is enjoying the job I do and enjoying my life, wheres the problem?

FAIRLY FUCKING LEFT WING?!?!?! dont insult me, i was about 1 left, for some ungodly reason, but i was 'veery' authoritarian, about 5, which is fashism, which is about co-operation and earning money. jesus christ, left wing..

K

Karlo

FAIRLY FUCKING LEFT WING?!?!?! dont insult me, i was about 1 left, for some ungodly reason, but i was 'veery' authoritarian, about 5, which is fashism, which is about co-operation and earning money. jesus christ, left wing..

ok then my mistake. Thats where we differ then isn't it.

Enjoy your life focused around money. Youll soon realise that happiness isn't about earning a fortune, its about enjoying life.

And if for you thats about being stuck in a mundane job with slow promotion due to being under qualified then so be it.

Ill just carry on down the road doing what I find interesting.

C

Cap'n Sissyfoo

The point I was trying to make is that some people go to Uni to study something that they enjoy. Granted, something like Philosophy or Theology is not going to get them an amazing job but I think that if they enjoy learning about whatever it is that they are studying then it is time well spent.

Sure, most people come out with thousands of pounds worth of debts and will most likely never get a job related to their degree but there is more to life than getting a good job.

There are some people who choose Uni as a way to dick around for 3-4 years and have fun at the tax payers/parents expense. Others see it as an opportunity to improve their chances to get an amazing job by studying something crap like Business Management or Economics. And then there are those that choose a degree to learn more about a subject that interests them and try to figure out what they will do with the degree once they have it. ;)

Uni is only a waste of time depending on how you approach it. I don't view my time spent in Uni as a waste of time. I enjoyed what I studied and came out with a good degree. It hasn't helped me get a job but...err, well, see my previous post. ;) If I wanted to get a really ass kicking job then I would have studied maths at a-level and either done a degree in Computer Sciences or ... well, something computer related because I fucking hate everything Business related.

I know for a fact that if you want to get a good job in any of the London banks or American banks (i.e. World Bank in Washington) then you NEED to have a masters degree or they will bin your C.V. You wouldn't even be considered if you didn't have a degree.

I'm not an expert on getting jobs but it seems to me that having oodles of experience in the field and/or having a degree is a must. I have been told that enthusiasm makes up for experience if you are lacking it but I find this hard to believe these days. ~looks at number of failed applications in the bin~

K

Karlo

The point I was trying to make is that some people go to Uni to study something that they enjoy. Granted, something like Philosophy or Theology is not going to get them an amazing job but I think that if they enjoy learning about whatever it is that they are studying then it is time well spent.

Sure, most people come out with thousands of pounds worth of debts and will most likely never get a job related to their degree but there is more to life than getting a good job.

There are some people who choose Uni as a way to dick around for 3-4 years and have fun at the tax payers/parents expense. Others see it as an opportunity to improve their chances to get an amazing job by studying something crap like Business Management or Economics. And then there are those that choose a degree to learn more about a subject that interests them and try to figure out what they will do with the degree once they have it. ;)

Uni is only a waste of time depending on how you approach it. I don't view my time spent in Uni as a waste of time. I enjoyed what I studied and came out with a good degree. It hasn't helped me get a job but...err, well, see my previous post. ;) If I wanted to get a really ass kicking job then I would have studied maths at a-level and either done a degree in Computer Sciences or ... well, something computer related because I fucking hate everything Business related.

I know for a fact that if you want to get a good job in any of the London banks or American banks (i.e. World Bank in Washington) then you NEED to have a masters degree or they will bin your C.V. You wouldn't even be considered if you didn't have a degree.

I'm not an expert on getting jobs but it seems to me that having oodles of experience in the field and/or having a degree is a must. I have been told that enthusiasm makes up for experience if you are lacking it but I find this hard to believe these days. ~looks at number of failed applications in the bin~

This is exactly my point, I graduated this year with a good 2:1 just shy of a first, and I wouldn't swap my last 3 years for anything. Best 3 years of my life.

R

Rubric

ok then my mistake. Thats where we differ then isn't it.

Enjoy your life focused around money. Youll soon realise that happiness isn't about earning a fortune, its about enjoying life.

And if for you thats about being stuck in a mundane job with slow promotion due to being under qualified then so be it.

Ill just carry on down the road doing what I find interesting.

Try enjoying life without money.
And again most degrees dont qualify you for anything.

K

Karlo

Originally posted by Rubric
Try enjoying life without money.
And again most degrees dont qualify you for anything.

im not going to be without money am I ^^

And how the hell could I ever lecture in archaeology without a degree and a phd.

I couldn't.

Hence I have a degree etc.

This makes me laugh cause I wanna see what situation we're in when we're all 40.

C

Cap'n Sissyfoo

This makes me laugh cause I wanna see what situation we're in when we're all 40.

You'll all be dead and I will rule the world with an iron fist.

C

Cap'n Sissyfoo

I will need references to show that you have experience in being a psychotic megalomaniac...plus you will need a degree in something usefull. ;)

K

Karlo

I will need references to show that you have experience in being a psychotic megalomaniac...plus you will need a degree in something usefull. ;)

Is archaeology useful, I learnt a lot about the politics behind it all.

My policital inclination is pretty extreme left with authoratarain principles. I say we start a neo communist party.

after all 2 legs good, 4 legs better.

E

Eggy

Anyway...

I'm currently at uni, just finished my first year, doing Sound Engineering and Music, at Guildford in Surrey. Awesome course and facilities, having a wicked time.

At home for the holidays, mainly getting drunk when I'm not working for a consultancy in the energy industry full time. Good pay, and a laugh too. Met a new girl recently, having a great time with her, and a lot of new friends I'm making.

I try and make the best of my life, and I'm enjoying it so far :)

PS Karam, get a life and stop destroying threads like this. In your opinion uni is crap - fair enough. I'm guessing you didn't get in? Uni isn't just about work, it builds you socially. You wouldn't imagine what you miss out on not going.

xx

C

Cap'n Sissyfoo

Its strange...my political test put me on the same spot as Ghandi yet I harbour these urges to wipe out humanity and turn all the mutant survivors into my slaves. I wonder if I mis-read one of the questions...

K

Karlo

Its strange...my political test put me on the same spot as Ghandi yet I harbour these urges to wipe out humanity and turn all the mutant survivors into my slaves. I wonder if I mis-read one of the questions...

maybe Ghandi wanted to wipe out humanity too. We dont know :p

Users who are viewing this thread