Question What do you do?

Chilly

Balls of steel
I find Oracle terrible to use, whenever I am forced to use it via customer/vendor portals. I don't know what the fuss is about.

It must do some crazy shit behind the scenes.
It does - it's a seriously magic bit of kit once it's all set up and working.

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Currently I'm a self-employed Party Wall Surveyor by trade and run 3 family businesses with my Dad (who started them). We have a Civil & Structural Engineering / Building Surveying practice, Construction / Property company and Catering Business.

If any of you have ever been to the O2 Arena / North Greenwich Station you might have seen one of our units by the NCP car park (NB: Not my photograph - Amazing what you find on Panoramio).

49353681.jpg

Working with my Dad has its ups and downs, the downs mostly being the hours can be long and that disagreements about business issues can sometimes end up feeling personal when they aren't. On the plus side I've got quite a varied skill set from dealing with the issues within the business (one day I'll be rewriting a shop lease with our solicitor and the next I could be designing an entire catering outlet from scratch) and every day is different (which is a blessing when you've got an awfully low boredom threshold).

Aspirationally I'd quite like to continue running the businesses going forwards. I've worked for other people before and often found it very limiting. For example here if we have a problem I can get my teeth into it, elsewhere it's been a case of "wait for instructions" which may or may not arrive. I guess I like being able to make decisions that make an actual difference as supposed to being a "cog in the machine" so to speak.
MEG! Merge Teedles into the boat thread please.
Chet hasn't responded to my permission to merge thread requests, sorry! ;)

Calo

Part of the furniture
I work as a SAP developer/analyst consultant. Mostly in the HR module. Very fun job as i'm alway's on big projects.

Killswitch

FH is my second home
Incidentally if anyone knows of any openings for senior Linux, Networking, Pre-Sales Consultancy or IT Management roles, please let me know. :)

Trem

Not as old as he claims to be!
This year I am mostly a fuser/printer engineer, I was mostly that last year and the year before as well.

As some may know (throd in particular) I am a fickle boy when it comes to jobs and I can *sometimes* spit my dummy out and leave places so who knows what I will be doing next :D

dysfunction

FH is my second home
I've just been made redundant from a reinsurance company that is going to be liquidated.

On the plus side I got a very good redundancy package.

On the even better side I have just started a new job as an accountant in an insurance brokers.

Yoni

Cockb@dger / Klotehommel www.lhw.photography
I'm a chartered management accountant by trade. I work for a very large organisation as a financial troubleshooter. Basically I go where they send me, for the last 3 years I worked in NL and managed two functions: group controller and FD of the shared service centre which brought many challenges ie how to communicate when my linguistic skills are not brilliant (contrary to opinion the Dutch do not speak perfect English, especially in the South). Last September I was moved to Sweden to work for one of the auto glass replacement companies, which is fun although a much slower pace. I would like at least one more move (somewhere radical) before I settle, however I never want to return to the UK to live, although I may have to at some point.

I don't see my role as traditional accounting although it is there in the background. I spend most of my time consulting MD's on Strategy and playing devils advocate to their ideas, as well as supporting them with both personal and professional issues.

I enjoy month end close bizarrely because it gives some structure to my working life although it isn't stressful at all... It's a bit like an alarm clock :p

I am not a traditional accountant (blue or brown suit), I have good technical skills but rarely have to use them, it is more important that I spend time understanding the psyche of my peers and MD and can communicate financial issues simplistically (removing the veil of complexity often associated with financial management).

Being an accountant does not mean you have to subscribe to the stereotype :p

milou

Part of the furniture
I've worked for an agency of a Government department (BIS) for the past 30 years with the latter ten in a policy/Minister environment.

Chilly

Balls of steel
We all went to school, though. Never just a teacher. (unless you're shit :D )

leggy

Probably Scottish
Lead Electrical Project Engineer. I work for an engineering consultancy but am predominantly seconded to new power station (conventional fossil fuel & renewable) builds and major capital upgrades. Fell into this 6 years ago after doing an MEng in electrical and electronic engineering (I did work for a tech start-up for a few years prior).

Good money, good hours but not entirely satisfied. Used to be an actor and wish I'd stuck with it sometimes. Despite that lack of money or security.

Noc0de

Can't get enough of FH
IT Product/Service Manager for large accountancy/professional services firm. Mostly involved with ECM products like Documentum and InputAccel amongst others.

I sometimes wish my job was a bit more meaningful, my other half is a Doctor. So whereas I might have a bad day because a deployment hasn't worked, or a system or two have had an outage - people might die in her 'bad day'. It rather puts things in perspective!

leggy

Probably Scottish
I work as a SAP developer/analyst consultant. Mostly in the HR module. Very fun job as i'm alway's on big projects.

SAP: Why have 1 icon for a task when you can have 5?

Seriously though, I wish our company would pay to develop a nice user friendly SAP interface. It would make my life better.

Calo

Part of the furniture

Seriously though, I wish our company would pay to develop a nice user friendly SAP interface. It would make my life better.

Hehe, yes it all depends on what your company wants to pay. Sometimes we have "solutions" that will make the life of the customer easier but then we go in a meeting with "well we could implement that but...." "it will cost us money?" "yep!" ;)
Then again, i'm a developer so i'm not the person who talks with the customer about what en how he wants it. I'm there to build it and say if it is possible or if it will cost him ALOT of money! nothing is impossible ;)

Moriath

I am a FH squatter

So go oracle one red stack :)

kick SAP out .. hardware to software everything in one place ;) and optimized :)

Now i done the corporate line ;)

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
no, because you locked yourself in to one vendor. Get thee behind me, Moriath :eek:

Overdriven

Dumpster Fire of The South
Microsoft provides all of the solutions that you may need in business, I can recommend a partner based in Stafford who could sort out all of your technology problems, for a great price ;)

Punishment

Resident Freddy
Furniture and Carpet Salesman (Sometimes carpet fitter/Van driver/Delivery monkey) for an independant furniture wholesaler/retailer in the west of Ireland.

It pays the bills and i get to yell Underlay Underlay ARIBA ! each day as i finish work at half 5 :p

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
Microsoft provides all of the solutions that you may need in business, I can recommend a partner based in Stafford who could sort out all of your technology problems, for a great price ;)

So long as it isn't Dynamics AX. Dynamics AX can die in a fucking fire.

SilverHood

FH is my second home

I always liked this one... SAP: Start Adding Patches.

I'm a glorified support monkey working for finance firms in need of better-than-average support monkeys.

Lakih

Resident Freddy
As of last week i moved from 1st line support to a newly implemented workrole as 2nd line support / management assistant. I spend most of my days in phone meetings and answering e-mails. Will do some inhouse teaching (for new 1st line support technichians). The role is pretty much made up on the spot by the mangement so i have to figure out what im supposed to do, while im doing it... I can pretty much do what i want as long as i can convince my boss its whats best of the company.

I work for Swedens largest ISP and my base of operations and focus is their premium support (pay support).

russell

FH is my second home
We all went to school, though. Never just a teacher. (unless you're shit :D )
Granted -I am a great teacher (even if I say so myself;)) I spend my days shaping the minds of the future generation, they are only 5 and 6 so they will probably never even remeber me! Well, at least we have a laugh:)

Sar

Part of the furniture
Tech/IT support for local council.

Lot more enjoyable than my last job, which sadly I have to go back to at the end of August :S

Bodhi

Once agreed with Scouse and a LibDem at same time
Been an IT Consultant for about 4 years now working in Pre-Sales. Started of working for a Computer Manufacturer in Stone (latterly Stafford), then had enough of working for a bunch of cowboys so decided to move on, now working for an ERP Vendor down in Dudley. Loads of international travel (first presentation was in Schphol, Holland. Sales meeting was in Santa Barbara, etc etc), nice laidback atmosphere and some good people to work with. I focus on our Cloud and Interoperability products, along with a bit of ecommerce and Business Intelligence.

eksdee

FH is my second home
Granted -I am a great teacher (even if I say so myself;)) I spend my days shaping the minds of the future generation, they are only 5 and 6 so they will probably never even remeber me! Well, at least we have a laugh:)

When I worked in a cinema during my student days, one of my primary school teachers came in to see a film. I instantly recognised her and got chatting to her. She actually remembered me as well, after managing to put the beardy 20-something aside and bring back the memory of me as the little shit I was back then, going on 12 years later or so it must have been. Everyone remembers a good teacher.

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing

I remember all my teachers. All of them. Oh yes...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom