Question What do you do?

Wazzerphuk

FH is my second home
So a lot of us know what some of us do for a living, others don't. It'd be vaguely interesting(ish) to find out what people's jobs/aspirations etc are.

As most of you know I work for Sports Interactive, making Football Manager, in the QA department. While QA isn't something that is an aspiration for me (I've done it for bloomin' years now), the company I work for is fantastic and has a lot of good perks to it. Ideally, I'd like to be doing something a little more organisational and involved in the company, although in terms of genuine aspirations I'd want to be an author/photographer, or at least have the time to indulge in both, even if I don't get paid for it.

Given that I'm not very good at the second and have absolutely zero time for the first (trying to find time to write fiction when you work a full-time job and the only real "free" time (away from work, gf, friends) is 11pm-2am that doesn't really work for me. I'm normally wanting to wind down ready for bed at that time, and typically use it to catch up on some gaming/tv/music and relax.

So my main hope for life at the moment is some kind of miraculous monetary win. :D

How's about everyone else? What do you do? What would you want to do? Can you realistically achieve what you would love to do?

old.user4556

Has a sexy sister. I am also a Bodhi wannabee.
I'm a babysitter and onshore fall guy for various eastern technology companies.

kirennia

Part of the furniture
Finished my BSc Computing, went into the wrong industry for two years doing electronics which I was always promised an 'out' for which never happened. Decided with two years away from programming I need to get back into it so decided to go back and do an MRes in Computer Science to bolster my weaker subjects.

I not only have no idea what to do afterwards but am currently not sure what I'm doing at the moment. I can do the course with no real quarms but am currently unhappy with life, completely unsure whether I'm coming or going on a daily basis, wondering whether I'm chasing something that doesn't exist.

Happy tone, gogo thread!

Cerb

I am a FH squatter
What I'm doing/want to do is in a period of slight change right now.

If you had asked me 6 months ago I would have said I wanted to be/was a Journalist. I worked for about a year for nightly news program here in Washington and for the most part enjoyed it before my contract ran out.

Right now I am a Production assistant/Associate producer on a 5 part documentary series on the "Arab Spring".

After I left my last job I was scrambling and would have taken anything, but this has turned out to be fantastic.

Now I want to work on documentaries for the foreseeable future at least. Producer is the goal for now.

Chilly

Balls of steel
I do financial / low latency / concurrent / distributed systems programming - currently working on the betting exchange at betfair. Weapon of choice is Java at the moment.

/edit - should point out that I fucking love my job. Zero risk of offshoring this particular team and there's lots of vast number we can boast about.

- English -

Resident Freddy
Well, for me:

I am now 24, at 19 I started a computer science degree. I completed 2 years studying it, but moved to Denmark after falling in love with a girl I met through DAOC (aw). Life was too hard to leave her for a year and go back and finish my degree, so I decided to try make a life here for myself. 2, 1/2 years on, I am working part time as a delivery guy, which "earns" my right to stay in the country, and have 6 months tuition + 6 months placement left on a BSc in web application development.

The course is far better suited for me than the computer science degree. I was never a programmer, and always wanted to be involved with something web related, although I never wanted to switch back in the UK. Min dansk bliver meget bedre, men synes jeg kunne vaere videre end jeg er!

It was the hardest choice in my life to date, I knew staying in the UK would be "easier", but I could see the rewards by moving to Denmark.
It was the best decision i've ever made. I absoultly love it here. The culture is so different to the UK, and I actually cringe at the fact of living in the UK again.
Life is good, but I'm at a critical point of my career. I hope to something big, I am working 10x harder than I did at university, as I know there's no room for messing about again.

Gwadien

Uneducated Northern Cretin
I'm a bum, I attend college, y'all hate me, I'm also waiting for work to come through from a company called Lionbridge to basically assess the ads on teh googlez!

Deebs

Chief Arsewipe
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Unemployed at the moment, looking for a job from next week.

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
Officially I am a purchaser and stock controller attached to the finance department. Because it's a small company (50 odd staff) I actually end up doing a bit of everything, from IT support to staff training to giving advise on construction contracts. We got a new IT system coming up to 2 years ago which is a nightmare, it isn't even close to being suited to our companies needs and is riddled with bugs. Today I was training the guy who is supposed to be fixing it in how to use it...the last one quit suddenly! The IT firm we got in are a joke, but they were the cheapest! I also design a lot of financial reports using an excel plug in which analyses the database...simply because the IT system is not capable of doing it.

I write a plan every Friday of what I will be doing the next week and bin it by Monday lunchtime, I don't know what's going to come up from day to day most of the time. People at work think I don't like my job but I kind of do. Having worked for big companies previously where you are pretty much anonymous unless you kiss arse, in a small company it is nice to get recognition for my efforts both financially and in responsibility. My record time to get from desk to home is around 7 minutes, happy with that too!

I actually think I would like to spend a good few more years there, I have worked there for 4 so far, all previous jobs I would have moved on by now. While I know I could probably move on and get more money elsewhere I want to see how it pans out for a few years more, they prefer to recruit internally for higher positions so who knows what might happen.

Left school at 16, barely turned up to any GCSEs (It was a pretty messed up time in my life) but like to think I have done ok without them so far. Did the first year of CIMA and found that pure accountancy drained my soul too much so fucked that off sharpish. I do plan on doing GSCEs and eventually a degree in the future, not in any useful job related subject but something that interests me.

Lethul

FH is my second home
Work as Test Analyst/Software Tester at a company in Gothenburg. Love it so far!
Will eventually finnish my master in Interaction Design(bachelor Computer Science) but finding it hard to motivate myself to do it so close to starting work (6 months in).

Want to take up a bit of programming again but I am not good enough to work with it so would mainly be for myself so finding it hard to find time for that as well.

Otherwise I love to do "nature" thingys such as climbing, kayaking, skiing and fishing. Will take my diving certificate in two weeks as well! Will be awesomesauce!

So much things to do so little free time :p

Overdriven

Dumpster Fire of The South
I believe it or not, am a student and have a job. I work for a small private (~50 people) IT Security/Infrastructure firm. My job is taking care of in house - and in some cases customer facing - Dynamics CRM and SharePoint systems, I make things work OOTB. Currently just about to grad (1 month to go) then go back working full time, going to end up (According to them) as a CRM and SharePoint consultant, working on either application development (intiially) then being moved to/back to SQL/B.I., as I prefer doing that.

Goal? To own Oracle.

Fweddy

FH is my second home
Interesting read. Good idea Wazz.

I work for ITV as a designer/animator. Mostly I animate children's books for the web but some of them are now getting broadcast on TV which I'm very proud of. I'm also trying my hand at writing my own stories based around our characters which if the boss likes I might get to create myself. They once asked me to do the voice over for one of my animations. Then they got someone else to do it and have never asked me to voice anything ever again.

I love my job. I get to spend most of my time colouring in, reading children's books and playing about in the studio. It's like a respectable playschool for 27 year olds.

Realistically I don't think I'll ever amount to much as an animator. I don't work hard enough and the competition is fierce. But I can do loads of different things and I have a lot of fun so it doesn't worry me too greatly.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Outside broadcast television cameraman and location sound recordist.

Can't complain, I have bags of free time and the money is good.

Edmond

Is now wearing thermals.....Brrrrr
erm, your all very IT and techie......

I, on the other hand am not, i am the complete opposite (yes i build my own PC's and stuff, but) I have my own business, a window/conservatory company, i also make stained glass windows, which was my original job from day one from leaving school. Then i got into fitting windows at weekends with a guy i worked with, we decided to go it alone and not looked back

We have been going for 5 yrs and been quite succesfull so far, but its hard work (i am writing this post at work, in the office atm). I gets hard at times having a business partner, its like a marrige and can be stressfull, but its probably me more often than not being stubborn.

ECA

I am a FH squatter
I can make stained glass windows as well.

I don't think anyone would buy them though :D

Tom

I am a FH squatter

I, on the other hand am not, i am the complete opposite (yes i build my own PC's and stuff, but) I have my own business, a window/conservatory company, i also make stained glass windows, which was my original job from day one from leaving school. Then i got into fitting windows at weekends with a guy i worked with, we decided to go it alone and not looked back

We have been going for 5 yrs and been quite succesfull so far, but its hard work (i am writing this post at work, in the office atm). I gets hard at times having a business partner, its like a marrige and can be stressfull, but its probably me more often than not being stubborn.

Off the top of your head, what would two non-openable skylights for a pitch (slate) roof cost? About 4x3 foot square per window.

I'm converting a flat roof to a pitch roof to get more light in. Or would it be better to have one big skylight?

adams901

Can't get enough of FH
I'm an engineer with EMC, not a bad company to work for, but I really dont like IT anymore.. I long for a nice 9 till 5 office job lol.

Sydrik

Resident Freddy
Divisional Pharmacy and Retail Operations trainer and implementation at Boots. Basically responsible for the implementing of any of the 3 annual pharmacy or retail projects across the East Division of the UK.

Dudley52

Part of the furniture
Apprentice Carpenter on my 3rd year of apprenticeship. Work on-site rather than in a workshop. Go to college to get my qualifications and work 5 days a week.

Tom - You gonna be pitching the roof yourself or getting a chippy?

Aoami

I am a FH squatter
Chef. very hard work for crap money, been doing it on and off since i was 16 but useful as there is always work. Useless degree and no idea what i actually want to do as a career.

Edmond

Is now wearing thermals.....Brrrrr
Off the top of your head, what would two non-openable skylights for a pitch (slate) roof cost? About 4x3 foot square per window.

I'm converting a flat roof to a pitch roof to get more light in. Or would it be better to have one big skylight?

More of a carpenters job, as the lights would be built into the roof in construction, but you could leave it flat and put a lantern roof light in the middle of it?

throdgrain

FH is my second home
lol no , I am this bloke.

428996_10150584292441787_637266786_9268665_506674948_n.jpg

Badass aint I ?

Job

The Carl Pilkington of Freddyshouse
Used to be a systemX/AXE10 programmer for BT, left to become self employed repairing and installing boilers.
Earn about the same, but in much less hours, got a lot fitter and often a lot dirtier, but it's like getting your life back when you decide your hours and when I look at the clock now, it's always..
'Holyfuck,that time allready?'

russell

FH is my second home

Yup. But at least you are handsome;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom