What do people think about this?

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Well.

Nothing wrong with it if the kid doesn't get his shoulder f*cked up.

And gets proper training on how to use a gun for hunting, not for hunting people.

If safety is in check, i got no problem with it. If it's not, well, one more statistic.

Calaen

I am a massive cock who isn't firing atm!
well it made me laugh. Although as Tohtori said its all good aslong as he is taught in the correct manner.

throdgrain

FH is my second home
Well, americans talk a bit wierd dont they :)
However there is nothing wrong with responsible gun ownership. And that (very) young lad is learning pretty well as far as I can see.
I shoot Hunter Field Trials at a club near Brighton, its basically a course , bit like a golf course in a way, but set out with metal targets in the outline of a rat or pigeon or whatever, with a central 40mm hole. If you hit the plate in the hole you get 2 points, ding the target , one point. Anyway, there was a lad going round the course behind me with his dad, was no older than that kid in the video. He got as good as score as me, and was having great fun by the looks of it :) I see no harm in it at all, quite the contrary.
Live targets? Well, you do know where that stuff in Tescos comes from, now dont you ?

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
tbh I'd like the lad to be a bit older, so he doesn't get damaged shooting the rifle.

then again, nobody ever said anything to me when I was 5 and out out on my bmx trying to kill myself :/

Danya

Fledgling Freddie
Someone asking to get shot imo. Problem is young kids often don't really have the experience neccessary to see the consequences of their actions.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Danya said:
Someone asking to get shot imo. Problem is young kids often don't really have the experience neccessary to see the consequences of their actions.

Kid or the parent? :D

That's why it's important to teach them, watch them, teach some more. As they say, it's not guns who kill people, it's bullets...no i mean...i's uneducated people.

bigbb

Loyal Freddie
I thought I was reading the replies to another topic there, like fishing.

How can a kid that can barely hold the gun, shooting the gun, be good?

The concept of teaching a kid how to shoot proplery seems a bit odd to me. Have attitudes towards guns really changed this much?

throdgrain

FH is my second home
The attitude towards guns has changed in the last 20 years, but only in that now you get the omg its a gun type like you seem to be from your post.
Theres nothing wrong with shooting, or guns, just the things people do with them.
Hence if kids are taught from an early age there shouldnt be a problem should there.

bigbb

Loyal Freddie
I did try and restrain my "OMG it's a gun", but perhaps it's just that I'm not used to seeing them so freely practiced. Though, I'm not sure I would classify myself as a 'type', merely from a comment to contrary of yours.

I don't know, I'm not sure of this issue either way. Indeed, I have a friend from Alaska who wouldn't dream of being without a gun, for survival in all forms. But, the whole idea of a Father filming his son shooting a gun, being thrown back, but visibly not concerned by its power...but then distributing on the Internet (of which I assume he had some role in). That's more than a gun for survival, that's fun and respect. A combination that surely rings badly for that persuit?

throdgrain

FH is my second home
Definately not. People shoot for fun. I shoot for fun. Its not just because I have to, its because I want to.
This is the great problem with it all really. "Just cause" and all that. My just cause is , I want to shoot, therefore I will. I really dont see what right it is of someone elses (ie the government ) to tell me how I should do it. So long as Im safe and responsible with my gun, what should be the problem? Assuming Im taught about it all from a young age, as I was incidently, there shouldnt be a problem :)

leggy

Probably Scottish
The question you should be asking is "why you want to shoot stuff?" rather than "is it right to shoot stuff?"

Everyone has their opinions about guns, right or wrong, but we should really be looking at the reasons people like shooting at things. It all seems very odd to me but then I have never been a fan of guns myself.

I suppose (in my case) it's just because I cannot see it as a sport no matter how I look at it. Whereas archery (or some other projectile firing game) seems to be more skill based. I'm not saying there is no skill involved in shooting, just not as much when aiming at stationary targets.

~Yuckfou~

Lovely person
The principle is fine. However if the kid can't contain the recoil it's dangerous. A gun dropping on the floor like that can go off vey easily. Kid just needs more decent breakfasts.

throdgrain

FH is my second home
leggy said:
The question you should be asking is "why you want to shoot stuff?" rather than "is it right to shoot stuff?"

Everyone has their opinions about guns, right or wrong, but we should really be looking at the reasons people like shooting at things. It all seems very odd to me but then I have never been a fan of guns myself.

I suppose (in my case) it's just because I cannot see it as a sport no matter how I look at it. Whereas archery (or some other projectile firing game) seems to be more skill based. I'm not saying there is no skill involved in shooting, just not as much when aiming at stationary targets.

1. Why should that be a question? Even to say it in that way assumes the idea that theres a problem with it, which of course there isnt.
2. Try it if you think its easy, even at stationary targets, the point is estimating the distance , then aiming high or low to compensate.

leggy

Probably Scottish
I never said there was anything wrong with it. I also never said it was easy.

I just dont see the point in shooting stuff for the sake of it. Maybe if it was competitive sport we were talking about I would understand more.

But again it's each to their own. You say that you are responsible with a gun. Good for you. I suspect there are a large amount of indivduals who would happily take pot shots at moving children if they had the opportunity though. This is why I dont believe in owning hand guns or otherwise without strict background/personality checks. I know that is essentially flawed but I'd like to see a better method of determining if someone should own a gun or not.

Like you say it's not the gun it's the person who owns it.

throdgrain

FH is my second home
The shooting I do is competative, and friendly, heres a quick thing about it -

HFT

Edit that link is a bit gay and a bit aol, only works half the time :/

Uncle Sick

One of Freddy's beloved
The kid is way too young to be anywhere near a gun... why?

Well, first of all - I don't give a damn if the kid is having fun or not.
If he was shooting in my neighborhood (and don't say he was out in the sticks where there are no people, since I live out in the boondocks here in Maine) I'd be concerned about my family, pets and my own ass.

- most adults have problems with the kickback of a shotgun, if the kid is actually thrown back (as shown on the video) he is obviously not ready for it...

- rifles/shotguns are heavy ie the kid won't be able to properly aim it since the weight will drop the barrel down - in other words the kid will have to correct his aim again and again, tire eventually and fuck up his aim.
And do I need to explain why that would be dangerous?

- gun safety. Hell, I remember gun safety training in the army and the whacks and kicks some people got because they weren't handling their rifles properly (swinging the barrel around, having their fingers on the triggers by accident, not holding the rifle properly according to situation.. etc. etc.)
So if 19+ year old army recruits have troubles with gun safety... ?

Don't get me wrong - I was having great fun shooting dummies with a H&K G3 and I was actually toying with the idea of getting one just for target practice at a range but my son wouldn't even see the damn thing.

(Do I need to mention that their accent in the video was Kentucky-Redneck style? Not everyone here talks like that. :p)

Danya

Fledgling Freddie
throdgrain said:
The attitude towards guns has changed in the last 20 years, but only in that now you get the omg its a gun type like you seem to be from your post.
Theres nothing wrong with shooting, or guns, just the things people do with them.
Hence if kids are taught from an early age there shouldnt be a problem should there.
I'm all for education of kids about guns, but to put one into a young kid's hand like that is asking for someone to get shot. You wouldn't let a kid drive a dump truck, why let him shoot a gun? Lethal weapons (including cars) shouldn't be given to small children.
As you say, it's things people do that is the problem - kids do stupid shit, it's called growing up. You don't given someone you know is going to do stupid shit a firearm.

throdgrain

FH is my second home
Untrue. He was obviously being supervised, by the weirdo who was speaking.
You cannot make the judgement that just because he fired the shotgun hes also allowed to roam free with it on his own. A rediculous statement.

Danya

Fledgling Freddie
Supervised or not it's still dangerous. What's to stop the kid throwing a tantrum and shooting the supervisor? Not like he wouldn't be able to turn round and blow the guy's head off easily enough.

throdgrain

FH is my second home
Thats even more rediculous, and frankly not even worth replying to :(

Uncle Sick

One of Freddy's beloved
Well, it's an accident waiting to happen - I am sure we can agree on that.

And Danya's point isn't that ridiculous at all... I don't know if you ever held a pump-action shotgun, Throd but those things are heavy, kick back like an elephant and little kids can be easily distracted.
The kid and the father were duck hunting as it looks like, so what if a duck behind the dad flew up and the kid instinctivel swings the barrel of the gun around? It would be called an accident and accidents happen all the time.

Giving a little kid a gun is a preventable accident. So don't give them guns until they are old enough to realize that they hold death or severe injury in their hands.

But that's just my opinion and I'm an oppinonated bastard.;)

Danya

Fledgling Freddie
Sick said it better than me.
Kids do stupid things, they're kids, they don't know better. It's generally much safer for all involved if you don't give them the opportunity to kill people more often than neccessary. :p

throdgrain

FH is my second home
If the kid is being supervised correctly , and you have no reason to suggest otherwise there is no reason why the thing you say should happen.
Me, Id suggest the kid is kind of young to be shooting a shotgun, but its not my decision, and I for one arnt going to make any random rash opinions on it via the internet based on little or no knowledge of the actual facts.

Uncle Sick

One of Freddy's beloved
throdgrain said:
Cars are dangerous too, of course, I suppose we should ban them too

... and you would entrust a 10 year old with a car, would you?
You just shot your argument, Throd. :p

throdgrain

FH is my second home
throdgrain said:
If the kid is being supervised correctly , and you have no reason to suggest otherwise there is no reason why the thing you say should happen.
Me, Id suggest the kid is kind of young to be shooting a shotgun, but its not my decision, and I for one arnt going to make any random rash opinions on it via the internet based on little or no knowledge of the actual facts.

FS I was going to quote my self to reinforce my point, and ended up editted my own post :(
So, Ill just repeat what Ive said alreayd, and hope you can understand the words this time.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Well for what its worth, I don't really have a problem with the idea of a young kid (what, 6-8?) firing a gun. I don't know much about guns, but I've been clay pigeon shooting and that was great (and I was good as well). Also fired air rifles at targets and I was good at that as well. I really enjoyed doing both.

I think the father behind the camera is doing the correct thing - introducing guns to his son at a young age, and hopefully teaching him to respect the power they potentially have.

Mind you if I had kids, I don't think I'd be quite so inclined.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom