What a fiasco.

O

old.LandShark

Quick memorandum to all the numbwits saying "Heh, this is the real world, nothing goes right first time"...
SO
WHAT?
Simple fact. Their service is laughably inadequate to even a minute fraction of an optimistic estimate of what was going to be required of it. Ergo, they goofed. I don't really give a fuck what world this is, as far as I'm concerned their server can't take it and hundreds if not thousands of the people that pay their salaries are very very pissed atm.

C

CliffyG

Originally posted by thorwyntf
Well, I can because I know from first hand experience, that things can be A LOT worse than this. That´s not an excuse for GOA of course. Still, the people from GOA are only human and they´re making mistakes like we all do. Said it before and I`ll say it again: things like this happen. All the time. Everywhere.

I work in the IT industry and also know firsthand I just don't see them as mistakes though, these things should have been prevented/foreseen in the early stages of project management. Anyway thats enough arguing, you haven't changed my opinion and i haven't yours so i'm guessing this can go on and on so will leave this as my last post in this thread :).

Z

zedmeet

I am the type of person who gets annoyed when things go wrong which are avoidable through good planning.

I am sure GOA made the business decision that only allowing there user base to register 80 at a time and the ensuing annoyance that this would create, was worth it compared to the cost of investing in a payment package which could cope with large amounts of customers who would simultaneously be trying to register.

Note I say the payment software, not the site, as plenty of firms from IBM down can provide you with server and bandwidth for a short term project such as this to allow for a predictable surge in visitors.

Well I am here to say "it was a poor business decision" as looking at the anger on the forums and unavailablity of the GOA web site showed.

Secondly going ahead with a launch using untested files I find incredible, in fact it leaves me speechless, there is no point writing paragraphs about it as any of us who work in IT know how stupid that is.

GOA has dissapointed me.

G

gesta

i have to agree with the whiners although i dont feel like im whining writing this.

I work in IT and have to keep more servers up n running than goa/mythic do. It is completely unacceptable to have production servers down whilst customers are paying money for a service. I find it incredible that they need to have the servers down for so long in the first place. why not have development, test and production servers. Once the test servers have been fully tested and operable then you transfer the game data, user files etc to the test systems giving a very limited downtime and not the day or so downtime. We are after all paying money for downtime. I dont accept this with my sky package. If i have days without the service then i phone and ensure that im not paying for the service whilst not actually able to use the service. If i was ever involved managing a project without all the tools needed in addition to causing downtime to production systems I would be out on my ear incredibly fast.

Additionally why not release the SI software in advance allowing users to register beforehand and not to blitz their pathetic servers that they have currently. If they knew all this beforehand i find it disgusting that they allow this all to happen. People could register and then payment would begin on the actual day when the servers were back up n running.

ok so maybe some of it is a whine ;D

T

Tesla Monkor

Guys, get your information straight, before you start yelling.

GOA had everything checked. It wasn't the patch that messed up, it was the server code. That is something that CAN'T BE TESTED. They don't have a test-evironment that mimics the live-server architecture. It would be unaffordable.

It was Mythic who messed up.. Not GOA. GOA is completely dependant on Mythic when it comes down to the software running the server. And they didn't deliver a working version and took forever to do.

As for the registration server. well, yeah, that sucks. But I can understand them not wanting to invest in a system that can handle 20000 transactions at the same moment. Live with it. :)

R

rynnor

Originally posted by Tesla Monkor
Guys, get your information straight, before you start yelling.

GOA had everything checked. It wasn't the patch that messed up, it was the server code. That is something that CAN'T BE TESTED. They don't have a test-evironment that mimics the live-server architecture. It would be unaffordable.

Lol - try reading the Sticky on this forum before making this kind of post...

Please explain how problems with the character converter/ general graphics bugs can be classified as untestable server code?

I have worked for plenty of companies that have test environments that mimic live architecture but hey it is GOA :)

Finally - how did GOA have 'everything checked' when they were still receiving files on the day...

K

katani

Originally posted by Tesla Monkor
It was Mythic who messed up.. Not GOA. GOA is completely dependant on Mythic when it comes down to the software running the server. And they didn't deliver a working version and took forever to do.

[/B]

Since when did i buy and register this game with mythic ? the fook up is with GOA. Last time a monumental fuck up like this happened all they did was delete the offical forums.

Roll on Star wars galaxies..

V

Vell

Yes, quite right. Roll on star wars galaxies. I will be happy to see the back of people with twelve-year-old mentalities.

So what, the subscription pages aren't up to par. How does this, in any way, affect the grand scheme of things?

Will war on iraq start because GOA's servers aren't capable of handling more than 80 people? Will religious, anti-american hordes start flying planes into buildings because of it? Maybe the end of the world?

Guys, put this all into perspective. There are many far far worse things happening on the world today, so instead of wasting your time campaigning against GOA, or Mythic, or whoever, why not put your time into something worthwhile?

P

PJS

Originally posted by Vell
I will be happy to see the back of people with twelve-year-old mentalities.

and roll on the next game that you are interested in. EVERYONE will be glad to see the back of people like you who resort directly to personal insults because you have no valid points to make.

H

Hyuga Hinata

Go ahead, go to Star Wars Galaxies.

But rest assured, they will have the EXACT same problems with they're launch and maintenance. Every game does. And surprise, they might even end up worse.

All I hope is that SWG makes all the people who think that 'u' 'm8' etc is an actual word in a dictionary.

B

bon

Hey it's up it's running

the only reason you guys can't login decently is cause you all keep hammering your F5 button!!!

I logged in with no problems at all (3am tho) and registered my account within 10 minz (only hit back, not refresh!) every few minutes

et voila... there you have it
One registered SI account... (looks good :D )

J

Jerjerod

SWG looks shit tbh, its fixed now and its quite easy to get to the page but still i should have been able to play on the day i bought it and they should have forseen the amount of people trying to register.

G

GrimReaper

Yeah right,

From kemor.....

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hiyas everyone,

Our official website is up and running smooth now. You should have no problem connecting to the SI activation page and subscription page.

Our customer support tool is still down for now, we want to make sure that players can register in time for the weekend. We will bring Rightnow back up as soon as possible.

Today is the official UK release and you may have little slowdowns tonight again but should be better overall.

Thanks everyone for your patience and understanding.

And now from camelot-europe...

Warning: Too many connections in /home/www/billing.camelot-europe.com/www/include/db_inc.php on line 7

Warning: MySQL Connection Failed: Too many connections in /home/www/billing.camelot-europe.com/www/include/db_inc.php on line 7

Warning: Cannot add header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/www/billing.camelot-europe.com/www/include/db_inc.php:7) in /home/www/billing.camelot-europe.com/www/include/db_inc.php on line 16

Warning: Cannot add header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/www/billing.camelot-europe.com/www/include/db_inc.php:7) in /home/www/billing.camelot-europe.com/www/include/common_inc.php on line 31

Warning: Supplied argument is not a valid MySQL-Link resource in /home/www/billing.camelot-europe.com/www/include/common_inc.php on line 517

Warning: Supplied argument is not a valid MySQL result resource in /home/www/billing.camelot-europe.com/www/include/common_inc.php on line 518

Warning: Supplied argument is not a valid MySQL-Link resource in /home/www/billing.camelot-europe.com/www/login.php on line 20

----------------------------------------------

Maybe GOA should *try* registering some accounts before telling us it's all OK now.

O

old.Gombur Glodson

Cant even enter the account page :mad:

Very unprofessionel imho.

O

old.Aldias

GMT time is : 15:07 and account page says.. : The registration page is momentarily unavailable, please try again in a few minutes.
We are sorry for the inconvenience.

The strange thing with me is that i 've allready acitvate the reg. page for SI but still got the msg invalid pass when i try to log in.....

Hope u soort it out soon

S

sieben_dapoet

What Get's My Goat

Ok.. so the reg page isnt working too great, i can live with that..... even if they turned round and said SI wouldnt work for another week or two... hey.. so what.. i could live with that too....

but what really gets my goat is the fact that they have not updated the website with any details what so ever about registration problems !!!

new people to the game must now be thinking.. WTF is this SHIT !!

will they know to come check the forums ?? some will, some wont.. either way i find it VERY rude that the website has not been updated since the 19th !!

That is all =)

F

Flimgoblin

It was working...

some pissed off kid probably DDoSed the server again or something.

S

sieben_dapoet

Almost !!!

I got into my account info, entered my SI CD Key, clicked on Activate and AHHHHHHH...................

timed out :/

so ladies and gents, even if u manage to get into ure info, u still have the hurdle of activating the actual key =(

ohh well.... happy hunting

F

Flimgoblin

and so you went back and resubmitted it? :)

someone else said they timed out but got activated...

T

thorwyntf

I take it back! All of it!

I always tried to defend GoA and their work so far. But at some point, there´s nothing left to defend anymore.
After 3 days of SI people are still not able to register. This is not acceptable and there´s no explanation or excuse for that. I´m working in the game industry myself and I sure have a lot of patience and understanding for all the problems. But this is just a very weak performance by GoA. I´ve never seen something like this happen before and trust me, I´ve seen quite a lot of shit happening in the industry.
They´ve had enough time to take care of the registration problems. Yet, they decided to sit it out and on top of that they´re having the cheeks to post "everythings working fine, you shouldn´t have any problems registering now" on this forum.
Comon guys!

K

kronos

FFS

im sick of this shit i carnt be bothered pressing the account button any more im gettin tooo anoyed.

id rather spend time looking on the internet for monkeys to DOS goa's pathetic servers atleast i would feel better.

anyone who has been playing since beta will know exactly how many mistakes goa has made and how little customer support has been offered.

goa should be done away with sack kemor and let mythic take control cos i know that the americans have had little problems to face in camparison.

good riddens to money grabbing lackies that dont give a shit about thier customers.

p.s the dosing bit was just me gettin angry i aint really lookin for
people to dos em ;)

although they have been dosed in the past as everyone who was playing then will know. aint surpised really!

S

samba72

I'm new to the game, bought DAOC nd the Si bundle pack from Gameplay. Having seen the game on a friends computer I thought it looked good and bought it. This was on Thursday, took me till midnight to get onto the registration page to set up a new account. I entered my details, address, cd keys, accepted the terms and conditions, pressed forward to complete signup and guess what the page didn't load. Ok I thought, pressed back, had to re-enter my cd keys, when I pressed forward again it said cd key in use by another account. What it had obviously done was set up the account with the details I had entered but not given me my login details. Ok I thought they'll send an e-mail with my login stuff, haha what a fool I was, still nothing two days later. I have also e-mailed them telling them what has happened, but no response to that yet either. There are people on here saying stop whinging about all this, I say as a new user to this game that they should have been prepared for this and had the infrastructure in place ready for the rush of registrations. It has certainly made me think as a new user to the game, is it worth the hassle, if I don't hear anything by the middle of next week I doubt I'll hear anything at all and will just not bother with the game and buy something else. I wonder how many other new users are thinking the same?

C

Combine

...they have no customer support, ive been waiting 4 days now.. and sent 1 email every day, and yesterday i tried 2 email addresses, not even the automated response..

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom