What a fiasco.

U

Uriron

Jesus some of you folks wouldn't be happy if you won £100 million on the lotttery because you had to wait till monday for your cheque ! boo hoo

SI has arrived (wasn't offically due till 21st) and there have been some problems (I cant believe that anyone expected this to go without any hiccups along the way) you wingers really need to find something else to complain about than a bloody game that has been unavailable for 10 - 20 hours.

There is about to be a war, people are dying every day, the price of petrol keeps going up, i'm too sexeh for my own good etc.. etc.. get a grip folks.

Oh and i place a £10 bet that the patch whingers start demanding 1.59 by monday, whinge whinge rah rah...

A

agraucred

i dont think anyones whining about the server been down for 10 hours, i think its the fact alot of people have SI and would like to get playing it, but cant because the subscription only allows 80 of the thousands of players on at once, yes, well done to goa for a bumpy but ontime release, i think most/all people are happy with that, but now its patched and means 1)downloading 12mb to play it classic (most wont want to if they have si) 2)keep clicking and clicking and clicking the accounts page untill you can finnaly activate it. see why people are pissed?

T

the_smurflord

Originally posted by Uriron
Oh and i place a £10 bet that the patch whingers start demanding 1.59 by monday, whinge whinge rah rah...

JEsus, they patch to 1.57 like hours ago! Why haven't they give us 1.59 yet. GOA suxors!

PS: Can I have my £10 please :p

J

Jace

I think even the holier-that-though anti-whiners must agree that the current signup situation for SI is a complete joke.

They have pre-order figures, enough to make them decide to open another German server, yet there are no plans to allow people to actually signup, SI or otherwise?

I don’t believe this situation wasn’t foreseen, hell it’s probably part of their planning form day one. Signup isn’t a luxury service for DAOC, it’s an ESSENTIAL component (SI or not) that should be accessible 24/7 regardless of the situation. If GOAs business model doesn’t take this into account perhaps they should be rethinking their costs and priorities.

I freely admit that I am hooked on this game and GOA know this hence I put up with this sort of situation. The real tragedy here is the new influx of players. How long are they likely to hang around if they can’t even sign up?

M

membrain

Good point Jace

This registration problems will certainly deter any newcomer to the game. If I were new to the game and had just bought DAoC + SI without being able to play for the first 2 days I would probably take the game back to the store and get some other game instead.

S

Stonebits

Well, Ive managed to get into it and register mine now....

And I didnt have to try too many times (im at work, so say every 10 mins, or when I remembered, I would try it a few times)

Keep trying....

Now when I get home the fun of trying to do it with my 2nd account im going to set up :twak:

T

tripitaka

Originally posted by Jerjerod

ROFLMAO and how the hell am i suposed to do that!

DUH - by waiting until next week and then cancelling.. use ur brain FFS.

T

tripitaka

Originally posted by Jace
I think even the holier-that-though anti-whiners must agree that the current signup situation for SI is a complete joke.

No, i live in the real world and expect this sort of thing. I'm used to it.

They have pre-order figures, enough to make them decide to open another German server, yet there are no plans to allow people to actually signup, SI or otherwise?

Sod the german server, how about another UK server to come in line with the other european servers ?

I don’t believe this situation wasn’t foreseen, hell it’s probably part of their planning form day one. Signup isn’t a luxury service for DAOC, it’s an ESSENTIAL component (SI or not) that should be accessible 24/7 regardless of the situation. If GOAs business model doesn’t take this into account perhaps they should be rethinking their costs and priorities.

Why don't you become their GM and go run their business for em as you seem to know what they should do.

I freely admit that I am hooked on this game.

It shows. believe me, it shows.

and GOA know this hence I put up with this sort of situation. The real tragedy here is the new influx of players. How long are they likely to hang around if they can’t even sign up?

as i said b4, you don't have to play.

T

thorwyntf

Jace, you´re right, that´s a valid point there.
The registration process is really something that GOA messed up. But still, I´m sure there´s a reason why things are like they are. And posting endless threads here doesn´t change anything.

J

Jerjerod

as i said b4, you don't have to play

so you want empty servers then?

Sod the german server, how about another UK server to come in line with the other european servers ?

and you live in the real world?! take a look at the server numbers! the UK dosent need another server the 2 we've got are never full, do you have any idea how buisnesses work? you want them to put off all the new players attracted by the expantion and waste money by hireing too many servers?

C

CliffyG

LOL why are people so up GOA's arses? OK i got it slightly wrong and something was bugged not missing but the point still stands. They had plenty of time to find this out, like someone said before they've been testing since 1.54. Also people can't still activate SI, that is shite as many people have already said. And no i don't want to play another game, i can be pissed of at the shower of shite that runs it, moan about them and still want to play it. There's a thread for some GOA loving on this forum so why not for ones that dont like their performance. If you dont like it dont read it, you can see the thread title.

A

agraucred

Originally posted by Jerjerod

so you want empty servers then?

and you live in the real world?! take a look at the server numbers! the UK dosent need another server the 2 we've got are never full, do you have any idea how buisnesses work? you want them to put off all the new players attracted by the expantion and waste money by hireing too many servers?

heh, beaten too it. someone people do know how to make an absolute ass of themself dont they. and whats with all this "real world" bullshit. we all know what it is ffs, so why act like the adult you rnt? some people get there enjoyment from playing games, hell, some couples get there enjoyment from playing games together, so what? each to there own, its there life, they can lead it how they want, aslong as they are enjoying it. if someone is stopping this enjoyment what do you naturally do? feel upset/angry/annoyed at said "fun-stopper". if you rnt pissed off with goa then thats fine, but why come and have ago at those that feel differently about it? everyone is different, feels different, and reacts different... think about it.

T

thorwyntf

There's a thread for some GOA loving on this forum so why not for ones that dont like their performance. If you dont like it dont read it, you can see the thread title.

This is a forum. People, like, you know, communicate here. What´s the point in starting a thread where everyone´s agreeing? First post "Goa sucks" followed 5 pages and 80 replies "yay, I agree! they suck!" That what you want?
I´m not up anyones arse. I´m just tired of unconstructive, senseless and stereotype complains. And "I´m paying money for this, so I expect it to run" *IS* unconstructive, senseless and stereotype. And I can´t stand the attitude of people who´re alway exclusively seeing the negative side of something. Compared to other MMORPGs and companies, GOA is working ok. And I can´t see a reason why it should be considered sucking GOA`s dick to say this. The idea behind criticism is to change the bad things and point out, what could be done better in the future. The idea behnd criticism is NOT to blattantly diss someone or something with the intention to show the world what clever and cool jock you are.

E

Esoteric

To GOA :clap: <bows>

To Moaners :flame:

To gameplay for not delivering si yet :wall:

Thats all I have to say about that.

D

Danamyr

Originally posted by Envenom2
give the poor bastards a fucking break they have been up 24 hours plus to bring us SI they didnt just fuck off home they stayed until it was done. SI is up and running ive been playing it for almost 4 hours ive also accessed my subscription over 10 times in the last hour maybe just log off probably go to bed seeing as i bet some of u have been up all night camping the SUBS page.

and for those of u moaning about how the Europe version sucks go fucking play the US version.

Surely there must be something else you do in life? or do you just sit behind the pc all day.

Shut the fuck up you cock.

You seem to forget we *PAY* for this service. Excuses are irrelevant - it should work first time every time. They should not limit the number of connectionsavailable - they know how many subscribers they are and should plan accordingly.

I have not even got SI, yet I still had to wait 4 hours to get the patch to play my normal characters.

GOA deserve no credit IMO - they get paid the same as anyone else and should do their jobs properly.

C

cadiva

Roflmao

Originally posted by Danamyr
Excuses are irrelevant - it should work first time every time.

Oh my god, what planet do you live on matey where everything works right first time every time?

I guess in your world you never go to the pub and they've just run out of whatever you want to order to eat, or you never go to the cash withdrawal machine to find it's been hammered on Friday night and hasn't been filled up with more cash yet or you never run out of any product at home because you forgot to get some more from the supermarket.

The attitude of some people here on these forums is just too hilarious for words.
I really think you people need to get a grip on what issues are life important ones and which are just niggling annoyances which might inconvienience you for a brief time.

O

old_fed

Problems

I gotta say I am a little dissapointed with the GOA guys.

Same kinda problems dogged the first release, which is one of the reasons there are so few people on the English servers.

Proper Organisation is always a good idea on big projects like this - and limiting the number of sub scribers to 80 at a time - is not clever.

Whinging aside though - those guys did stay up late to get SI patched - they could have just gone home and returned on Monday.

Cya All On Line ;)

Regards

Hund

D

Danamyr

Re: Roflmao

Originally posted by cadiva

Oh my god, what planet do you live on matey where everything works right first time every time?

I guess in your world you never go to the pub and they've just run out of whatever you want to order to eat, or you never go to the cash withdrawal machine to find it's been hammered on Friday night and hasn't been filled up with more cash yet or you never run out of any product at home because you forgot to get some more from the supermarket.

The attitude of some people here on these forums is just too hilarious for words.
I really think you people need to get a grip on what issues are life important ones and which are just niggling annoyances which might inconvienience you for a brief time.

Do me a favour - how long did they know the patch was coming?

I am completely stunned that anyone can view GOAs performance yesterday as anything other than a complete shambles.

M

moo_work

Originally posted by agraucred
80 connections at a time is a joke:

p100 with 32mb ram > GOAs IIS server

and dont get me started on there subscription team. 3days and counting for a password reminder. did they not think to automate this process?

IIS is the gay, anyone who uses microsoft server products deserves to be laughed at and pissed on by 5 fat frenchmen

O

Orbling

a) Why are people using the phrase "real world" to justify this, this is DAoC not r/l, the people who play it don't know what r/l is anyhow, so it's an invalid argument to say live in the real world.

b) GOA have done alright, although there were some glitches in their testing, as they did not test the latest stuff from mythic before they launched it, in preference to shipping on schedule. Those who wanted to play it probably would appreciate this, as the bugs are minor and you can still play it.

c) However, the registration server issue is a bad one, that server has always been exceptionally flaky under load and needs upgrading. First rule of business, take the money, they aren't doing so effectively, for their own sake they should look at that issue.

d) People are moaning because their lives have been ruined, instead of sitting in front of their screens clicking on DAoC buttons, they are sitting in front of their screens clicking on registration buttons. Must be infuriating.

e) As for me, play.com shipped yesterday, so I'll probably receive my copy of SI tomorrow or Saturday. I can live that long, I still have the classic client after all.

Smile people, at least the servers are up, and all your old chars haven't been mangled.

Karl.

V

VidX

Ok, a little analogy someone used before: cash machine.

Yip, you see them every day, you walk by dozens of them in the High Street.

They are convenient little machines you use to withdraw money when needed.

Ok, so how many people tried to withdraw money at 1am on New Years Day? Or even at any time on New Years day?

And how many actually found that the first cash machine they went to had money in it?

I read somewhere on the BBC news site that one cash machine handed out almost £80,000 on New Years Eve, bet the next unlucky bastard who desperatley needed money to continue his New Years boozing was a bit pissed when he was unable to withdraw any from that machine and cursed it for running out of money when he needed it and had money in his account.

Eh?

So, you all have SI (lucky you, Amazon haven't even dispatched mine yet) and want to register it? And sit for hours trying to open the link? Go out and catch up on life instead of getting rattled up about something game related. Then come back in a few hours, try it again a couple of times, and if you still can't get in, bugger off and watch TV or head to the pub.

Oh, wait, I forget. The vast majority of people who are doing the bitching are gonna be immature schoolkids with nothing better to do but sit and play games all day, and then their hormones make them all moody when they can't log on right away.

GOA had problems patching. What did you want them to do? Patch what they could and have you complaining your level 50 uber character was missing?

You people complaining about the registration process being limited are probably the kind of people who expect a bus to always have seats during rush hour, or if MacDonalds runs out of the baps for the Big Mac due to alot of demand after a promotion is announced.

These things happen. Best that can be done is they can be sorted out the best way they can. Which GOA have done. I expect they put in about 18+ hours yesterday, lack of food, lack of breaks.

Yes, the demand could have been planned for. But the cash machine above could have had Securicor guys standing ready to refill it when it empty.

Live with it. Once again, these things happen. No-one can stop a snowstorm. Hell, remember a few weeks ago in the UK? less than a foot of snow fell but the place was brought to a standstill.

There's nearly 3' of snow has fallen in some parts around Washington, which is where Mythic are based. This meant, as has been said before, Mythic were unable to send the last minute bug fixes to GOA, which resulted in the delay. Ever had a bus delayed due to traffic? Whose fault was that? The bus company? Or was it the company that looks after the traffic lights? Or even the little cat that ran out in front of the 15 tonne lorry carrying eggs that had to swerve and spilt the eggs everywhere, causing the surface to become hazardous and the traffic to slow down and cause a tailback, resulting in your bus being 25 minutes late and you missing that all important meeting?

Think about guys, go easy on someone who did the best they could do in a rather awkward situation, which they had planned out but things still went wrong. And think about how you would be feeling if you were in their situation. Yes, I don't doubt there is alot of questioning going on at GOA, but alot of them, after feeling joyous at getting it working last night, are now confronted by demands and compaints that what they did wasn't good enough.

As I said, if you can't get access to the Account section, leave it a bit, watch a film or walk the dog or something, and try later.

I

i-scream

I tried whole day long now, about 4 times an hour.
Until now, not once I saw the screen where I can activate my SI copy.
So there I am; I was not able to play whole day long yesterday, not the whole evening. And I'm still not able now, to register my SI copy.
Thx and gratz

C

CliffyG

Originally posted by thorwyntf

This is a forum. People, like, you know, communicate here. What´s the point in starting a thread where everyone´s agreeing? First post "Goa sucks" followed 5 pages and 80 replies "yay, I agree! they suck!" That what you want?
I´m not up anyones arse. I´m just tired of unconstructive, senseless and stereotype complains. And "I´m paying money for this, so I expect it to run" *IS* unconstructive, senseless and stereotype. And I can´t stand the attitude of people who´re alway exclusively seeing the negative side of something. Compared to other MMORPGs and companies, GOA is working ok. And I can´t see a reason why it should be considered sucking GOA`s dick to say this. The idea behind criticism is to change the bad things and point out, what could be done better in the future. The idea behnd criticism is NOT to blattantly diss someone or something with the intention to show the world what clever and cool jock you are.

It's causing arguments thats why i said it, never mind though i shouldnt have exoected you to understand. It's not unconstructive ffs, we are airing our views. You may be happy with underpar performace, i'm not and nor are a lot of other people here. Your the one stereotyping here not me, and i notice most of the people who are happy with GOA are the same, just cos we're not happy we are kids with no lives, lol. If there was a positive side i'd see it but GOA have fucked things up all by themselves. I do understand the word criticism and believe me i'm not saying it to look clever. Criticising is pointing out faults which is what i have done whats your problem? I couldn't give a shit what everyone on this forum thinks of me and will say what i feel not anything else.

Just look at the post above mine, is that acceptable to you?

And Vidx, don't you wonder why they only came across the bug on monday when they've aparently been doing full tests for ages. Your analogies are nice but not quite right, this is a commercial server reliant for them to have new people subscribe and also activate SI, just look at the customer base, 80 concurrent connections is just pants.

R

rynnor

Originally posted by VidX
Ok, a little analogy someone used before: cash machine.

Yip, you see them every day, you walk by dozens of them in the High Street.

They are convenient little machines you use to withdraw money when needed.

Ok, so how many people tried to withdraw money at 1am on New Years Day? Or even at any time on New Years day?

And how many actually found that the first cash machine they went to had money in it?

Hmm Ok this is probably a little unfair because I work in the ATM industry but:

In the UK we have this idea about planning for contingencies so at New Years Eve/Day theres a lot more cash in the machines and they get refilled 24x7 - even on Bank holidays...

Plus 80,000 is actually pretty small change - a busy machine in central london can easily do £500,000 a day :)

Contrast that with GOA's subscription system and I think you'll see why people got a bit annoyed when its a completely forecastable peak.

T

thorwyntf

*sigh*

Dude, I didn´t say YOU are unconstructive. There´s nothing wrong with pointing our mistakes and airing your view. I was just refering to the 1.5 mio muppets here, who keep repeating their brainless "but I`m paying money for this!" argument like an army of parrots. That´s not an argument, that´s not criticism, that´s unconstructive and stereotype. It doesn´t help a shit and is just spamming this board with endless postings.

You say GOA messed it up and you got a couple of valid points. I say they messed it up but it´s not that bad. What I´d really appreciate on these boards and in threats like this would be a little more objectivity from everyone.
You can´t see the positive sides. Well, I can because I know from first hand experience, that things can be A LOT worse than this. That´s not an excuse for GOA of course. Still, the people from GOA are only human and they´re making mistakes like we all do. Said it before and I`ll say it again: things like this happen. All the time. Everywhere.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom