Well...there goes the life.

pikeh

Resident Freddy
Still 2v2'ing, not played a 1v1 match this season at all. The only bad thing is coming up against Master 1v1'ers portrait farming. Fuckers.

pikeh

Resident Freddy
I guess for the team portraits? See quite a lot of diamond/plat 2v2'ers with hundreds>thousand games played.

Huntingtons

Resident Freddy
no, its quite sad that the community is so shit. Rather, the ingame pressence of community. Outside community, like forums, streams and chat is quite good but ingame you just have to endure alot of abuse. But then again, abit of trolling can also be fun.

pikeh

Resident Freddy
Moose post request!!!

So playing mostly 2v2 with my mate, TP. We are above mid silver now, getting better still. We have that build I mentioned before, which works probably 60% of the time (maybe a bit less now we got promoted). We also do a FE build, however, the trouble with that is that we don't really know how to capitalise on the extra minerals, and it seems we could stay on a standard 1 base build a have a better army composition and not a shit tonne of minerals hanging around. Is the secret really just create loads of production facilities, and just constantly build from them all?

Also; void rays. Ive played 6 games in 1v1 this season, I won my placement match but still got placed in bronze, thankfully. I have lost the rest, due to fucking voidrays. I am at a loss as to how to counter these fuckers; in 2v2 we often come a cropper to them as well. I can build loads of marines, but all they need is a couple of colossi and they are moot. I can make some vikings, which own colossi, but against 20 odd voidray don't stand a chance. Thors are the same. Help us! it seems every single game we lose is due to voidrays! (either that or some fucking diamond guy boosting his bronze mate or portrait farming. I think we are still on around a 50% w/l, but after 4 losses in a row it kinda gets a bit disheartening to know if voidrays come out, we don't know how to counter them.

I know you don't play loads of 2v2, so anyone with some experience, help would be appreciated, but your other posts have been so helpful!

Also, I've played about 40 1v1 games in my entire SC2 career. Does it normally take hundreds of games to get good enough to be promoted? I just get so nervous in 1v1, I find 2v2 a lot more relaxing and enjoyable.

ECA

I am a FH squatter
You get promoted in 1v1 when your MMR has been > the next division threshold for 10-15 games.
It could take 10 games ( assuming you win them all ) or 100 if you win 50.01% of them.

mooSe_

FH is my second home
Is the secret really just create loads of production facilities, and just constantly build from them all?

Pretty much yes. It takes a while to get the hang of how many production buildings you can support and how quickly you can afford to produce from them. Just think of how much you can support when you have 1 fully saturated base and you can support double that if you have 2 bases saturated. Obviously you can't make a command centre and then immediately go up to 8 barracks; you've gotta have enough scvs mining. If you find that you have units being produced at all your buildings and you are still floating 500+ minerals then it's probably a good idea to add on at least 1 or 2 more production buildings. The key is to try to keep your resources as low as possible: banked up minerals don't do you any good at all. Tbh I think being able to macro well is the most important skill (well it's a combination of lots of skills). At your level, if you can keep making dudes constantly then it doesn't even really matter which kind of dudes you are making. Your opponent could have the greatest unit composition ever, but if he's got 3k minerals banked up and you have an army with an extra 3k minerals worth of units in, then you will probably win (unless you make 60 marines and try to run them up a ramp into forcefields and colossus).

Also; void rays. Ive played 6 games in 1v1 this season, I won my placement match but still got placed in bronze, thankfully. I have lost the rest, due to fucking voidrays. I am at a loss as to how to counter these fuckers; in 2v2 we often come a cropper to them as well. I can build loads of marines, but all they need is a couple of colossi and they are moot. I can make some vikings, which own colossi, but against 20 odd voidray don't stand a chance. Thors are the same. Help us! it seems every single game we lose is due to voidrays!

I agree voidrays are a ball ache. I wouldn't advise vikings as a counter to voidrays unless your opponent has other units in their composition that vikings are also good against. Marines should do well vs voidrays (and your mate's stalkers if it's 2v2) but of course be prepared for things like colossus if your composition starts being heavily weighted towards marines. If your opponent is going to go voidrays into colossus he has to tech gateway > cybercore > stargate then robo > robo bay. That's a lot of resources and time invested in tech and that's not even including the unit costs and build times (as well as essential upgrades ie. colossus range). If you originally started producing a bunch of marines to counter his voidrays then you should have plenty of time to do something about the colossi.

This is why scouting is so important; you need to scout which tech path your opponent is going down and be prepared for it. Don't just keep making marines and hope you can kill him before he has something that's good against marines. Instead, try to find out what he's gonna do about your marines, and prepare a response to his response. If he is going colossus then you can tech to vikings, just make sure to manually target fire the colossus with the vikings, otherwise they will always auto-target the voidrays first (at least my corruptors always auto-target other air units before colossus and I imagine vikings do the same). If you can focus down the colossus with the vikings then the marines suddenly become extremely powerful again. If he decides to tech to templar instead you can add ghosts to your army and try to emp or snipe them, also more marauders and medivacs in your army can be helpful against this. Actually ghosts are pretty good vs any protoss composition, just especially vs armies with high templar in.

If you are struggling vs voidray harassment, then you can deal with it just like you would other air harassment. some well placed turrets and a group of marines ready to chase them down should be enough. Voidrays become more scary in larger numbers, so it usually a good idea to trade units for them if you get an opportunity. If you can kill some voidrays in exchange for some of your marines then it will normally be worth it: marines are cheap and quick to produce, while voidrays are not. Also focus firing them with your anti-air units at the start of the battle is usually good. Since voidrays charge up and do more damage, it's best to kill them asap because they will become more and more cost effective the longer the battle goes on.

Levin

Can't get enough of FH
Naniwa goes 2-0 in his group and makes Code S as the only foreigner this season! If anyone can find the VODs from the games vs Puzzle and Ryung, please gifv link! :)

Wij

I am a FH squatter
Is this game cheap yet. Was considering getting round to fixing my desktop :)

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
May start playing this again this weekend, only problem is I've forgotten all the basics! :)

When is the next installment out?

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
Jaysus! 1 hour + now, install and patching. Still waiting....

mooSe_

FH is my second home
Naniwa goes 2-0 in his group and makes Code S as the only foreigner this season! If anyone can find the VODs from the games vs Puzzle and Ryung, please gifv link! :)

Yeah it's awesome! Haven't seen any foriegners have success in GSL for so long now. You have to subscribe to watch GSL VODs don't you?

Is this game cheap yet. Was considering getting round to fixing my desktop :)

Sadly not really :( I had to pay full price for my new smurf account recently.

May start playing this again this weekend, only problem is I've forgotten all the basics! :)

When is the next installment out?

No release date for the first expansion yet. They haven't started beta yet so it will probably be a while.

Levin

Can't get enough of FH
Yeah it's awesome! Haven't seen any foriegners have success in GSL for so long now. You have to subscribe to watch GSL VODs don't you?

I'm not sure. I just heard someone say you could see them for free, but they didn't specify how. I thought too that you had to pay for VODs. Hmm, maybe worth subscribing... just sucks to not being able to watch the games live with the +10 or whatever time diff. :p

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
HAven't played in months, updated and popped in, random as always against a very easy computer to see if i still remember how to ride a bike. APM at 17 average on end and EPM at 30 :(

Though it did go up to a 100 at one point, which i guess is good enough.

Got zerg from randomator, which isn't the easiest to play for sure, but man i am r to the usty rusty.

Levin

Can't get enough of FH
Hehe Toht my APM never ever got above 40 average during the first season where I was in gold. During my latest repop in the game it's around 20-25, and I've been too scared to even do the placement matches. And yes, playing zerg scares the hell out of me too, almost only because I can never figure out a smoothe way to hotkey queens and handle injects. :(

ECA

I am a FH squatter
Hehe Toht my APM never ever got above 40 average during the first season where I was in gold. During my latest repop in the game it's around 20-25, and I've been too scared to even do the placement matches. And yes, playing zerg scares the hell out of me too, almost only because I can never figure out a smoothe way to hotkey queens and handle injects. :(

All queens 1 button, all hatches 1 button, rebind town camera hotkey to spacebar
press queen button > space v click, space v click, space v click.
It's very simple.

Shagrat

I am a FH squatter
well picked this up the other day and enjoying it so far. played my first 5 practice matches and not lost yet.

all im doing is build a reaper early on and go see what he's doing.
if he's building ground troops I build loads of banshees and either wait till he attacks my base and fight him off with ground while the banshees go wipe all his scv's or just attack him first. that seems to give me enough of an advantage to then just overpower with ground.

keep getting caught out by weird units though (maybe i should have finished single player) like cloaked planes appearing in my base and me taking a couple of minutes to work out how to even see the sodding things.

im sure itll get harder once im out of practice :)

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home

Heh yeah i've never been a high apm player, then again not a high ranking either :p

Zerg works for me, -when- i get into the flow of it, but it takes a long set of games to remember how those slimy groovy abstids work.

mooSe_

FH is my second home
Btw its DreamHack and also MLG spring arena 1 this weekend for anyone who might be interested in watching some pro games. You have to pay $10 to watch MLG (although there are free restreams which I could link) and DreamHack is free to watch.

well picked this up the other day and enjoying it so far. played my first 5 practice matches and not lost yet.

all im doing is build a reaper early on and go see what he's doing.
if he's building ground troops I build loads of banshees and either wait till he attacks my base and fight him off with ground while the banshees go wipe all his scv's or just attack him first. that seems to give me enough of an advantage to then just overpower with ground.

keep getting caught out by weird units though (maybe i should have finished single player) like cloaked planes appearing in my base and me taking a couple of minutes to work out how to even see the sodding things.

im sure itll get harder once im out of practice :)

the cloaked planes are banshees :p you can research cloak at the tech lab on the starport

All queens 1 button, all hatches 1 button, rebind town camera hotkey to spacebar
press queen button > space v click, space v click, space v click.
It's very simple.

Only difficulty with this method is if you have more hatcheries than queens. You end up with queens running all over the map trying to inject different hatcheries. As long as you make sure you have 1 queen per hatch then its probably the fastest method though. Atm I either do it via the minimap (all queens on 1 hotkey and then just v click each hatch on the minimap) or I individually go to each base (I have a screen location binded for each of my first 4 bases and also each hatchery individually hotkeyed).

ECA

I am a FH squatter
Ya, a common way I see a lot of korean pros do it is to skip between hatches, and click queen, v click hatch - it's a little longer but you don't get the weird travel issues that occur w/ the first method I described.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
It does sound simple, but have to remember that for anyone below (insert high level here), it's not -that- simple :p

I find "click on map and/or move to position, select queen manually, try to remember button for inject and then do it" works best.

Shagrat

I am a FH squatter
the cloaked planes are banshees :p you can research cloak at the tech lab on the starport

yep, worked that out :) and the only way to detect them is with the scanner sweep on the orbital command upgrade?. They're bloody annoying

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
yep, worked that out :) and the only way to detect them is with the scanner sweep on the orbital command upgrade?. They're bloody annoying

Build a, whatchamacallit, engineering bay and then turrets. Turrets(not bunkers) detect all hidden. DArk templars, burrowed zergies etc. Also if you have a techlab on your spaceport you get ravens, which work that way too.

On toss, build robotics and an observer(hidden flying observer thingy). Or cannon.

On zerg, i think it's overlord -> overseer(after upgrading the hive), or spore crawlers.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Well palced in silver, it's something atleast compared to the bronze career i've had :p

Two last placements against gold, shame i didn't beat those.

mooSe_

FH is my second home

To detect cloaked units as terran you have scans from the orbital command, missile turrets and ravens. If you see someone going for some kind of cloaked units against you, your best bet is usually to get an engineering bay like toht said. Turrets give permanent detection in a certain area so you can position them around your base so you can defend (they are double good vs banshees because they also shoot air). Sometimes you will have to use scans to detect, but ideally you want to do that as little as possible because it uses energy that would be better spent on calling down MULEs.
When you want to move out and attack vs cloaked units you obviously can't bring turrets with you so your options are either to make a raven (from a starport with a techlab on it) or to save up command centre energy so you have a bunch of scans to use when you fight.

Units that can cloak:
Terran: banshee, ghost
Protoss: dark templar, observer, mothership (mothership can cloak other protoss units)
Zerg: no cloak but they have burrow which does essentially the same thing. All zerg ground units can burrow but they can't attack or move while burrowed. Burrowed units are invisible unless you have detection. The exceptions to this are
- roaches: can move while burrowed​
- infestors: can move while burrowed and can also cast infested terrans while burrowed​
- banelings: can explode while burrowed and deal damage to units above them​

Shagrat

I am a FH squatter
got bored of the practice league.

didnt realise the "real" game was actually faster :)

played a load of practice games as terran and decided to switch to zerg, played 5 or so as the zerg (weird compared to terran) and then jumped to placement games.

got called a hacker in my first game lol, apparently it wasnt possible for me to have a second base up so early............im taking that as a good sign haha

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom