Games Well done Texans and fuck you beeb

Job

The Carl Pilkington of Freddyshouse
They do ban pint glasses all the time..mainly after someone gets glasses..a guy was killed at the jesse j concert by the usual smash and stab fucknut..30 years in jail would sort it out..he will do less than five for a mans life..something fundamentally wrong in societys idea of consequence

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Firstly, what you store a liquid in has a tendency to alter the flavour. For example, you could pour a beer out of a can and into a glass and taste the difference between that and the same drink that's been stored properly.

I will pay you a million pounds if you can detect the difference between water that's been stored in plastic and water that's been stored in glass. Comparing beer from a can to draught beer is just silly.

Secondly, what you drink out of is integral to the experience of drink. Glass touches your lips, is firm and cold and solid. The beer flows freely from glass - more so than plastic. Glasses don't warp in your hands or at your lips - which you can feel every time - and if you don't think something you feel and notice every time makes a big difference to the experience then you're lying to yourself.

Plastic glasses don't have to warp, they just need to be made slightly thicker. You do realise, don't you, that drinks in glasses are a relatively modern invention?

Bloody hell, I bet you're one of those silly "cold lager" wufters. :eek:

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
You're talking bollocks, Tom.

Water isn't beer.

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
No-one's going to agree with you Tom. (Toht doesn't count).

opticle

Part of the furniture
The only way to solve this is a blindfolded taste test. Unless we do that we all might as well be talking bollocks.

Someone do it and post video plz.

Edit: Obviously to fully eliminate the feel of plastic/glass someone has to put deep heat on their lips.

opticle

Part of the furniture
I demand a test where beer is poured into someone's mouth from either a glass or plastic cup and they guess which is which.

This is all I could find:

DaGaffer

Tom said:
No, but beer is mostly water.

That's because they've been conditioned to believe that glass is "better" than plastic, when in reality it makes no difference to taste.

FFS Tom, it's not conditioning, it's direct experience. We're not imagining things

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Yes you are. I guarantee that nobody here could tell the difference between beer stored in glass and beer stored in plastic, probably because the differences would be so minute that only a machine could find them.

The only practical differences are the feel of the container, as you're holding it. And provided that plastic glasses are made thicker and have a smooth lip, and provided that plastic bottles use bottle caps and not screw caps, and provided that they're stored at the same temperature, then there really won't be any difference at all.

I'm reminded of a recent test where wine tasters couldn't reliably tell the difference between £5 bottles of wine and £50 bottles of wine.

old.user4556

Has a sexy sister. I am also a Bodhi wannabee.
Beer poured into a glass, or beer poured into a plastic cup.

I suppose the taste of the beer stored in a metal keg could change as it passed through the plastic hose.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Aside from the fact that plastic glasses aren't thicker, and do warp - plastic doesn't smell then Tom? And smell has no bearing on taste?

Either way. Glasses aren't going anywhere apart from maybe in the worst of chav shitholes.

Aoami

I am a FH squatter
buying bottles of beer in pubs is only for kids who want everyone to see what they're drinking anyway

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
buying bottles of beer in pubs is only for kids who want everyone to see what they're drinking anyway

People can drink whatever they like.

I personally like a lot of craft beers that are only available in glass bottles. Should I stop drinking them?

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Aside from the fact that plastic glasses aren't thicker, and do warp - plastic doesn't smell then Tom? And smell has no bearing on taste?

Either way. Glasses aren't going anywhere apart from maybe in the worst of chav shitholes.

Still waiting for someone to provide me with proof that they can discern between liquids stored in different types of container.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
Ofc he won't, he has no idea what he is talking about.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Ofc he won't, he has no idea what he is talking about.

Right, I'm not the one who claims he can taste the effect that different containers have on liquids. In other words, I'm not a bullshitter.

Scouse, plastic does bear a slight odour but that is in no way comparable to the scent of beer. Empty plastic pint glasses stink of one thing only, and it isn't plastic. Face it, we all drank in pubs that stank of cigarettes, for years, and few people (if any) moaned about the effect that smell had on the taste of their drink. Because it had no effect.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
Random websearch of the day

http://factofthematter.net/articles/beer.html

In short, plastic is oxygen permeable whereas glass isn't, then you have UV light which is also bad for beer as it causes a reaction with the hops.

OFC this may not have any discernible effect on fizzy pop lager because it tastes like shit in the first place but you would never find decent beer in a plastic bottle (for a reason!)

Liquids also react with metals.

Edit. Lab equipment is also made of glass for a reason, it would be cheaper to use metal but they use glass because metal is bad mkay.

You're wrong. Again.

Last edited:

DaGaffer

I have to say this is the most spectacular bit of thread derailment I've seen in quite some time. Mods on the case I see.

Poag

m00?
Make being alive illegal. All problems solved.

Cats inherit the earth, turn it into a massive scratching post.

opticle

Part of the furniture
I have to say this is the most spectacular bit of thread derailment I've seen in quite some time. Mods on the case I see.

I wanted to point this out, but it was too much fun.

I think Mods only get upset about thread derailment if its a Toht/Scouse showdown. And quite right too. :coffee:

The Beer debate is very important to all of us.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom