[INFO] Warforge beta release

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
I'm fairly certain its "next week" now. or rather, it was last week :)

LordjOX

Part of the furniture
Even though I don't play WAR any more, it's pretty neat.

Can you outline what libs/frameworks you use and what you use them for in your application?

AbsoluteLayout
AnimatedTransitions
appframework-1.0.3
beansbinding-1.2.1
binding-2.0.6
jettison-1.0.1
substance
substance-swingx
swing-worker-1.1
swingx-0.9.4
swingx-bean
swingx-ws-2008_02_10
TimingFramework-1.0

I'm guessing the Swing libraries actually make Swing look decent. :)
Does WARDB give an API for accessing items or do you have to send a http request and parse the response?

Aiteal

Can't get enough of FH
Sorry
Was busier coming upto christmas than I thought I would be
Gonna release the next version tomorrow

Even though I don't play WAR any more, it's pretty neat.

Can you outline what libs/frameworks you use and what you use them for in your application?

I'm guessing the Swing libraries actually make Swing look decent. :)
Does WARDB give an API for accessing items or do you have to send a http request and parse the response?

The look and feel is all thanks to substance
https://substance.dev.java.net/docs/skins/dark.html
I use the Magma skin

AnimatedTransitions and TimingFramework-1.0 are used for the iPod style carousel animation on the class picker screen

The SwingX-WS and Jettison are used for the WarDB integration, WarDB doesn't have a public API, but their devs pointed me towards a json feed that could be used with a little parsing for getting items based on the ID.
But with a little tedious screen scraping code I was able to get searching based on item name working for the next release, the swingx-ws allows swing apps to mimic html form requests, I parsed the response and grabbed the results which are stored in teh page as a json array, Jettison handles json to java array conversion.

AbsoluteLayout, appframework-1.0.3 and beansbinding-1.2.1 are part of netbeans matise GUI builder and give better layout, an application framework and gui control to java bean binding respectively.

The other swingX jars provide additional gui controls beyond whats available in the basic swing library, mainly the JXTable, which means I don't have to do any of the donkey work for making sortable data tables for the wardb query results

And swing-worker-1.1 is simply used for threading, I dunno if you have ever worked with swing, but any long running tasks, or tasks that involved intensive io or network code should never run on the main EDT thread, otherwise the application will just freeze up as it waits for the code to complete, the swing-worker makes writing that code quick and easy.

I'll be publishing the code online when it's at stage I'm happy with, then I was gonna rewrite the whole thing as a JavaFX application for shits and giggles ;)
JavaFX is much easier to work with than swing, and allows nice options like embedding an application in a web-page than can be dragged out of the page onto the desktop to instal it locally.

LordjOX

Part of the furniture
Cheers.

I've not worked much with desktop applications, just dabbled around with Swing and SWT. Mostly written web applications in Java using the OSS stack.

I don't use netbeans though. Only eclipse.

I thought JavaFX was for writing RIA though? Are there JavaFX libraries to easily facilitate writing desktop applications?

Aiteal

Can't get enough of FH
99% of my paid java work is server side stuff also
mostly spring apps in eclipse these days

this is probably the second or third swing app I've written in about 8 years

The JavaFX is a little lacking currently for full blown business desktop apps, but I've been playing around with the 1.0 release and it's quite nice, whether it takes off or not is a different matter, kinda hard to compete with flash/flex and silverlight too

But for something like this app, the 1.0 javafx sdk would be fine

LordjOX

Part of the furniture
Looking at the JavaFX 1.0 API it seems like devs have alot of libraries for making animations and stuff, but I don't see many typical desktop UI elements there. (Menu .. )

Please let us know how it all works out. :)

MesS°

One of Freddy's beloved
Looking and working great so fare. Can't wait for the char import feature. :)

Keep up the good work! :worthy:

Morphius

Fledgling Freddie
looks a quality program mate, like the others have said if you can get the character downloader thing into the program that would be top notch.

Don't take any notice of VNBoards, it's full of absolute cock jockeys!

Urme the Legend

Fledgling Freddie
Looks good :) Been playing around with it for a bit.
If you aren't implementing a "complete" Renown tree, can you at least add a few boxes so you can manually add +30 toughness, +30 wounds etc?

I've only added the current gear I have on me, let's say I've added Helm1 and then I searched for a new item and replaced it with Helm2. Is it an easy way to switch between these two items? Or do I manually have to type the name of Helm1 again? A drop box with currently offline items for that slot would be cool.

Aiteal

Can't get enough of FH
Looks good :) Been playing around with it for a bit.
If you aren't implementing a "complete" Renown tree, can you at least add a few boxes so you can manually add +30 toughness, +30 wounds etc?

You are using the latest version yeah?
Warforge v1.02 released - Warforge
you can use the "abilities" column in the stats section to add extra stats from renown abilities/tactics/talismen etc

I've only added the current gear I have on me, let's say I've added Helm1 and then I searched for a new item and replaced it with Helm2. Is it an easy way to switch between these two items? Or do I manually have to type the name of Helm1 again? A drop box with currently offline items for that slot would be cool.

atm, yeah, type it again
or press the load item button, any items you have downloaded from wardb will be stored as xml files locally

Aiteal

Can't get enough of FH
Ah missed both things :) Great!

nps
Not everything is as intuitive as I hoped
I'll have to get some sort of help file/faq etc sorted for the next release

But I've been tied up working on talisman slots and item set bonuses

talisman.jpg

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
guess having an autoimport feature for items is out of the question? :)

as in, not having to look up an item on wardb but chose them (maybe with a rightklick dropdown box) on the different item boxes?

Aiteal

Can't get enough of FH
guess having an autoimport feature for items is out of the question? :)

as in, not having to look up an item on wardb but chose them (maybe with a rightklick dropdown box) on the different item boxes?

I could turn the "Item name:" field into a combo box with ajax style auto-complete with a list populated from whatever xml files you currently have for the class/location

would that cover it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom