WAR Failures

TheBinarySurfer

Can't get enough of FH
With Mark Jacobs gone from Mythic, maybe what he's intending is to try exactly that and make a DAoC 2 of sorts under whatever umbrella company he can create or find.

I wouldn't really like to see a DAoC 2. Although I loved DAoC back in the day, I always felt the mish-mash of mythologies never quite gelled and I find myself increasingly tired of the American take on multiple mythologies where they are just a loincloth to wrap around badly portrayed drama/games. Many of them just seem to throw everything in and hope it works.

I'd rather see a wholly original *new* mythology created.

That's fair - i'm talking about more a spiritual successor in design, abilities and pvp rather than a literaly DAoC 2 though.

I do not consider WAR a spiritual successor in any way, shape or form. It's more the hideously deformed and bitter stepchild created from the incestuous union of good PvP (DAoC) and WoW.

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
Oh yeah, I'm SURE Blizzard really hate getting 11 Million x $10 (or whatever) subs a month. Must be a real bitch eh?

i'm sure they like the money, or atleast what little theres left after all the bills are paid. but that really doesent change much tho. they still have 100 million ppl to try and please. and no matter how you look at it it wont be anything but a pain in the arse.

especially since blizzard isnt making the new content hard to play through, so 80% of the players has gone through it all in a matter of weeks (maybe not the heroics and 25 man versions but thats just the same shit but bigger), then get bored and whine for more.

and its pretty obvious that each new content patch is ever so slightly more sloppy rushed then the previous, because their coders just can't keep up. blizzard worked their way into a snowball down the hill scenario here, the bigger they get, the faster they need to get things done to keep up and the more out of controll it gets. WOTLK should be a good example of that :)

i just dread to see what happend when a tree decides to stand in the way of that snowball, its out there just waiting ;)

its gonna get ugly that :)

so yes, i still think that blizzard would rather have stayed rather small in comparison to what they are now.

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
lol, just read what i posted and saw i'd written 100 million, obvious mistake on my part....

Tallen

Fledgling Freddie
That's fair - i'm talking about more a spiritual successor in design, abilities and pvp rather than a literaly DAoC 2 though.

I do not consider WAR a spiritual successor in any way, shape or form. It's more the hideously deformed and bitter stepchild created from the incestuous union of good PvP (DAoC) and WoW.

I think thats a good analogy.

WAR is in a terrible state at the moment on my server, many from Norn/Order have bailed thanks to lotd being naff and a lot more are poised to leave when their subs expire, it doesn't bode well.

The aoe and class changes might be very significant to the future of Warhammer, if they get this wrong i think we'll wind up with only 1 or 2 English speaking EU server/s left by the end of the year :(

civy

One of Freddy's beloved
The aoe and class changes might be very significant to the future of Warhammer, if they get this wrong i think we'll wind up with only 1 or 2 English speaking EU server/s left by the end of the year :(

AoE is the only thing that keeps us competative against the much larger numbers that destruction can put out. A well drilled AE team can take on 3 times their numbers and expect some success. We often roam the lakes away from the zerg and not often we come against a equal size. WE are forced to take on WB's. 80% of the time we lose but take some with us. Without AE we would lose 100% and just give up.

Hmm war failures. I'm probably alone in this but anyway. Quests, I look back at DAoC and the friends I play with now are they ones I spent hours and days grinding mobs with. War like WoW is a quest grind, once you have done them why bother again.

I think the grind brought the realms together. A group would start and then evolve throughout the day as players outlvled a spot and moved on to join another camp grp to be replaced by someone else.

Call me mad but I loved the grind in DAoC :)

TheBinarySurfer

Can't get enough of FH
I think thats a good analogy.

WAR is in a terrible state at the moment on my server, many from Norn/Order have bailed thanks to lotd being naff and a lot more are poised to leave when their subs expire, it doesn't bode well.

LOTD was so shockingly bad i went there 2-3 times and haven't bothered since. It's basically ToA with less depth (is that possible?), ridiculously OTT encounters, boring linear PQ farms, and rotating PvP based around the same PVE seige we know and (don't) love from the RvR lakes.

I must admit i have one foot out the door myself especially with the news of the new DAoC supercluster on the US. When a game that's 8 years old has more subs active onpeak in the US than the highest population UK server onpeak, you know something bad is afoot.

I'm hearing similar stories from many i know in-game - not planning on resubbing with the current SOTG, taking 6 month breaks etc.

They have one shot to fix it and stop hemmoraging players i think, they can't be very profitable as it is vs the development costs. There is a finite line that EA will just pull the plug once they go below it (especially now with the departure of Jacobs i suspect that means Mythic has lost the last of it's independance - since it's likely Jacobs blew most of his fiscal targets and traded equity within Mythic for time to fix the product and get it back on track).

Gahn

Resident Freddy
AoE is the only thing that keeps us competative against the much larger numbers that destruction can put out. A well drilled AE team can take on 3 times their numbers and expect some success. We often roam the lakes away from the zerg and not often we come against a equal size. WE are forced to take on WB's. 80% of the time we lose but take some with us. Without AE we would lose 100% and just give up.

In fact the core of the problem is that the only real aspect of the game, which gets encouraged, is zerging.
Giving away aoe power to insta gib 30 people just to make up for it, isn't the real answer to the problem.
They should look into CC mechanics before it's too late imo.

rynnor

Rockhound

I dont think any of the proposed changes will save WAR (which is a shame - I still like it) - it has missed its chance and sub numbers seem to be dropping off a cliff now.

I wonder if someone might just pull the plug but assume they'll just stop putting much effort in and keep it running till the subs evaporate.

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
I'm just really tired of the "solo-mode" most recent MMOs have been made in.

:iagree:

couldn't have said it better myself.

i dont mind solo content per se, just that theres very little incentive to actually group nowadays.

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
I think the grind brought the realms together. A group would start and then evolve throughout the day as players outlvled a spot and moved on to join another camp grp to be replaced by someone else.

Call me mad but I loved the grind in DAoC :)

Have to agree, I met some great people in those groups that I still consider as friends 7 years later.

civy

One of Freddy's beloved
Another thing I dont like and I blame WoW for is group size. 6 chars is just to small, 8 is a far better size. My impression is there is 25% tanks/25% healers/50% dps. 8 just offers so much more flexibility and lets you carry classes that arnt upto par.

Arg just give me original DAoC with a modern UI and WAR's quality gfx and mythic could have cash off me for years lol.

civy

One of Freddy's beloved
And collision detection. This is a royal pain in the arse most of the time. Imo it should be changed to a tank only skill. A self buff that lowers their dps and increases their defensive skills while on.

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
And collision detection. This is a royal pain in the arse most of the time. Imo it should be changed to a tank only skill. A self buff that lowers their dps and increases their defensive skills while on.

i dont mind it working on enemies but yes its a fucking nuisance when it works on friendlies aswell, especially when your trying to get up a ramp in a keep.

think collision detection on friendlies cause more wipes then the defending warbands tankwall because 90% of the attackers get stuck on the ramp.

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
did he explain in what way a bard were worse? :)

HoT vs not-so-HoT? *cough*

Flimgoblin

It's my birthday today!
either people didn't get my myopic comment or you're politely ignoring it...

*cries*

Flimgoblin

It's my birthday today!
Mael was indeed a ment spec'd ment for a bit. Being rr something quite high & actually good he could get away with it.

woot :D gimptastic ftw :D

(I should have got Fingzor up the RRs and gone a-hunting... Inconnu Crossbow Armsman ftw...)

Genedril

Part of the furniture
woot :D gimptastic ftw :D

(I should have got Fingzor up the RRs and gone a-hunting... Inconnu Crossbow Armsman ftw...)

He said it was a good spec solo iirc. Got 50 composite light & the rest in ment & moc healed iirc. The joys of being rr11 (or was it 12).

Calaen

I am a massive cock who isn't firing atm!
I think the game has turned a little corner, performance wise the game has picked up alot. There does appear to be a zerg mentality creeping back in again though which is a shame, but I can get my small scale combat fix in lotd.

Hopfeully some positive changes around the corner will breath more life into the game, I do feel that until they remove free renown for people sitting afk in the WC though that the game is allowing twats to get awith with doing nothing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom