Vista 64 or Windows xp 64

British

Fledgling Freddie
I am thinking about upgrading my o/s to get full use of my Dual core/4 gig ram sytem. I can either go for Vista 64bits ( pro or business) or XP 64 bits. Btw, my system is solely designed for gaming.
Which one would u recommend ?

Cheers

British

Thadius

Part of the furniture
There is only one tpye of computer you can have with the number 64 in it!

commodore-64-box.jpg
;)

On a serious note, I would chose Xp because surely it will have less bugs and crap in it than Vista does at the moment

Bahumat

FH is my second home
I am sure someone can confirm this, but iirc DX10 games will ONLY work on Vista.

I am on vista and it's shit, so far the only good thing was the 9 minutes it took to install.

If Windows XP 64 supports DX10 games then use that, if not, maybe use Vista so you're future proofed (obviously you'll need a nice dx10 card in the future).

Only other point is SP1 for Vista, no idea when that's out but it'll improve vista hugely...i hope

Overdriven

Dumpster Fire of The South
Common logic to go for Vista at the moment. SP1 will fix alot of compatibility issues that it currently has (Much like most SP1s do) - So I'd go for that.

DX10 is a plus. Also, with 4gb RAM you'll be able to make vista run at full prettyness.

thergador

Fledgling Freddie
I am sure someone can confirm this, but iirc DX10 games will ONLY work on Vista.

DX10 has been hacker to run on xp by a bunch of code hackers (something MS said could not be done MS are looking in to it)

however i would firmly say vista ultimate 64 SP1 i stable as a rock so if your not in a hurry wait a month or two if not get a cheap xp 64 oem (about £40) online

on the other side some new game are say they will be vista only compatible so even if DX10 hack works 100% that doesnt mean the next gen game will work on xp

razeredge

One of Freddy's beloved
The only thing that stops dx10 from working with xp (according to ms), is that it requires virtualisation of the video memory (dont ask), which isnt possible in xp, according to reliable sources, nvidia have been having a sh*t load of problems with this, and so there is talk of ms making this optional, which should* mean at some stage dx10 will work with xp (without cracks)

Ballard

Fledgling Freddie
If you want vista64 I would recommend dual boot. There is bound to be games that do not work on vista64 even after sp1. Im currently swapping between xp32 and vista64 and its working well but it is rare I bother to boot vista64.

Manisch Depressiv

Part of the furniture
I am thinking about upgrading my o/s to get full use of my Dual core/4 gig ram sytem. I can either go for Vista 64bits ( pro or business) or XP 64 bits. Btw, my system is solely designed for gaming.
Which one would u recommend ?

Cheers

British

I am running 32-bit Vista on an 64-bit CPU. As long as you don't use more than 4 GB of RAM you don't need 64-bit (address space).

The only issue for me with Vista is that it hangs up 1 out of 100 times when booting that's it. I took the 32-bit version to avoid some of the 64-bit/32-bit migration problems.

GReaper

Part of the furniture
If you're going for a 64 bit operating system you may as well go for Vista, it probably has better support than Windows XP x64.

confused

Can't get enough of FH
I've got a dual boot of Vista 32 and 64bit in this pc, not had a single problem, last blue screen I had was about 3 months ago. I ran xp64 before that, and had a multitude of problems, as it is generally concidered to be unsupported now. with 64 bit vista I had driver problems with my sound card for a while and my old printer/scanner is still not supported, but again it wasn't in xp64. Eventually we'll all have to go for vista, and eventually have to go for 64bit, but it'll be a slow migration. Generally the people who take the piss out of vista, are running low end machines and havent tried it since release, but who knows. You're choice, but xp64 is a mistake :s

soze

I am a FH squatter
Another vote for Dual Boot here have Xp and Vista Ultimate. my home machine and work both now boot directly into Vista and i only use XP when needed (Hitman Blood Money fix ;)) I use ultimate because i have every version and the video for a desktop is really cool. Utter wate of resources but cool.

liloe

It's my birthday today!
DX10 is a plus. Also, with 4gb RAM you'll be able to make vista run at full prettyness.

WOW, only 4 gigs of RAM to run in full prettyness, must be real pro's who programmed that thing. I bet the suckers who made Leopard run in all prettyness with 768MB ram are crying big tears...

On a serious note: I'd run Win XP now and wait for Windows 2008 to come out. Less fluffy shit, more stabiltiy etc.

On an even more serious note....my next comp will most likely be a Mac with the cheapest Windows I can get as dual boot. Don't even need virus-scanner or shit, just ghost a win-installation and use it everytime Windows breaks xD

EDIT: Windows is much too expensive for what it can do aswell. Home Premium costs around 90€ and Leopard costs like 120€ with MUCH more functions. I just see Ultimate costs 159€ ...lol.

liloe

It's my birthday today!
little addition: I just see my Windows prices are the SB versions only, if you want the full package you pay 300€ or more... /rofl at everyone who pays that ^^

In all fairness, my Win 2003 Server x64 was a free students version, but my original XP Pro wasn't nearly as expensive as Vista...

soze

I am a FH squatter
WOW, only 4 gigs of RAM to run in full prettyness, must be real pro's who programmed that thing. I bet the suckers who made Leopard run in all prettyness with 768MB ram are crying big tears...

On a serious note: I'd run Win XP now and wait for Windows 2008 to come out. Less fluffy shit, more stabiltiy etc.

On an even more serious note....my next comp will most likely be a Mac with the cheapest Windows I can get as dual boot. Don't even need virus-scanner or shit, just ghost a win-installation and use it everytime Windows breaks xD

EDIT: Windows is much too expensive for what it can do aswell. Home Premium costs around 90€ and Leopard costs like 120€ with MUCH more functions. I just see Ultimate costs 159€ ...lol.

You can run Windows Vista with Aero with 512 mb of ram so 756 is shit programming!

And by the way Windows 2008 comes with Aero and the fluff as well. As for stability i would wait for the RC before saying its more stable

And how great you can spend 40€ more and not be able to play any games but you will have much more functions!

liloe

It's my birthday today!
You can run Windows Vista with Aero with 512 mb of ram so 756 is shit programming!

And by the way Windows 2008 comes with Aero and the fluff as well. As for stability i would wait for the RC before saying its more stable

And how great you can spend 40€ more and not be able to play any games but you will have much more functions!

Ehm yer.....and how smooth will it run with 512 MB? I mean with all the effects.

I'm not sure about Win 2008 and Aero. At least Win 2003 didn't come with Luna and generally runs better than XP, so I assume it's the same for Vista vs. 2008

Who says you can't play games on a Mac? Leopard +Vista Basic SP = 200€ while Vista Premium is like 500€ and Home Premium 300€ gives the Vista Basic for the games who don't run with Macs and safety+comfort for the rest. Btw, there are more and more games for the Mac. If this wasn't DAoC but WoW forums, you'd have people playing their MMO on a Mac =)

And another price thing....when runnning Windows you'll need a Virus Scanner and a Firewall as addition, which aren' free if you want a really good one.

Sure I'm using windows for compatibility stuff atm, but I wouldn't do it for a new computer, simply cause dual booting is very easy, especially now that you can use a simple program for Mac's to keep both systems ready at all times.

Don't like Mac? Then wait for Xen. Xen is an environment based on dual booting multiple OS' so you can shift tasks from one OS to another, depending on what's needed. So basically the idea is, that you start a Windows app. in Linux and the Windows in the background just does the commands, without showing you the GUI.
Now knowing tha nVidia is doing lots of gfx development, it's likely that they have a Xen-driver soon, which repairs the only flaw that Xen has atm, the execution of gfx commands on the Windows machine.

soze

I am a FH squatter
Ehm yer.....and how smooth will it run with 512 MB? I mean with all the effects.

I'm not sure about Win 2008 and Aero. At least Win 2003 didn't come with Luna and generally runs better than XP, so I assume it's the same for Vista vs. 2008.

You will not set any performance benchmarks but you can run the fluff with no major problems at 512mb

Microsoft Windows Vista Ultimate x32Bit OEM 1PK DVD - Ebuyer

Download the media and you have legal Vista Ultimate for £110.

While Windows is expensive its what i used too and im very happy with it. Mac and Linux have not offered me anything i need to do on my home machine that i can't on Windows. And its better the devil i know ;) And having to dual boot just to play a game sucks i don't like it with Hitman and would hate it for every game.

Early versions for 2008 seems cool you can go from one exterme Command Prompt with no GUI to a version with the Aero interface.

liloe

It's my birthday today!
Download the media and you have legal Vista Ultimate for £110.

Yer, that's the SB versions I meant =) I was too lazy to calculate euro > pound =)

While Windows is expensive its what i used too and im very happy with it. Mac and Linux have not offered me anything i need to do on my home machine that i can't on Windows. And its better the devil i know ;) And having to dual boot just to play a game sucks i don't like it with Hitman and would hate it for every game.

I partially agree. Linux is a rather hard thing to work with, if you need mainstream programs for work, but I love to work with my MacBook. The OS fits my needs much better, cause of the tons of interesting functions =)
Dual Booting is easy with Mac, though. There is a program that simply changes the OS on command. It's not an emulation, so you still have the full power behind it.

Early versions for 2008 seems cool you can go from one exterme Command Prompt with no GUI to a version with the Aero interface.

GUI only is handy for servers, especially if you don't need a monitor and have SSH access...I'd keep it like Win 2003 though, I guess ^^

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom