Vanguard...the new Daoc?

tazzbe

Fledgling Freddie
Just wondering if more daoc players (and ex-players) trying out Vanguard atm?

I received a copy of the game a few days ago, and started to level a toon (wasn't able to play beta tho).

First impression...it kinda reminds me of daoc was at the start (but with better graphics of course). It's not WoW style game...i find it closer to daoc.

Haven't tried the pvp part yet...but mounts (flying ones also), housing,...are already implemented...so they did their homework. The creators looked at the existing mmorp's and took bits & pieces of some and put it together into Vanguard.

If the pvp resembles the daoc one i'm gone for good tbh...if it's more like wow i'll have to see if i can keep playing it :)

It still has bugs...but new patches are released on daily bases atm.

For those that don't know what i'm talking about some links
http://vgplayers.station.sony.com/
http://vanguard.station.sony.com/
http://vs.warcry.com/

If there are old daoc guilds moving over to Vanguard...don't hesitate to contact me (still looking for a guild with experienced players) :p

Goretooth

Fledgling Freddie
Yeah well... it's made by the ppl who made EQ - some of them anyways - afaik... So ofcourse they did their Homework! ^^

Looked to me alot like DAoC aswell! Something new to explore is always nice

I'm deffo gonna try it out as soon as I get money again haha... next paycheck = Vanguard... (if I got me main comp back from rep by then)

Cheers and cya there,
Nylis

psyco

Fledgling Freddie
no toa though;)

everything they did after toa sucked tbh:(

Manisch Depressiv

Part of the furniture
Reading the technical forum it looks like a beta or even alpha to me still :/.

Tried to find some actual PvP footage, no luck, got any link?

Fafnir

Resident Freddy
And its SOE running it, they can ban you cause you loose all your stuff from a bug, then they delete your tickets and finally ban you, for asking why they are deleting your tickets requesting help.

Farbaute2

Fledgling Freddie
Yes starwars galaxies was great the first 2 weeks. then suddenly new mounts and items showed up and all farmed stuff was worthless, at the same time as my only character got stuck in a bug. when asking for help in game it was impossible to send messages back and forth to the gm because of the laggy server. the bug was still unsolved a month later when i logged back again and once again new mounts and uber items had been introduced. after that suddenly everyone was able to be a jedi. They lost more then 90% of the players after some patch later there also remaking all classes and fightrules. i dont know who still plays SWG but maybe its George Lucas when he is drunk.

tazzbe

Fledgling Freddie
Well we not talking about SWG tbh...played it too. But couldn't keep me interested for long. I got another feeling about this one tho.

As was said....it's still all new, so yes a lot of bugs & fixes are being done (even after 5 years daoc got bugs in the game)...so don't think thats a big problem.

The thing i like a lot are the buffs lasting an hour...most (if not all?) classes got some way to buff up, and when you pass someone giving one to them doesn't cost a thing, so people are generous with handing out buffs also :)

The diplomacy part and crafting i haven't tried a lot yet...but diplomacy is kinda a cardgame you play. When i've explored the game a bit more i might start to look into those 2 spheres aswell beside adventure :)

Thing i do know about pvp part is you can loot items & cash from enemies :)

Farbaute2

Fledgling Freddie
I hope it will be a great game as much as everyone else, but i have reasons not to trust sony and ill wait a half year and see what happens. If the game and subscription was free until they worked through the bugs, i would try it. but as i see it, they shamelessly sold me a completly useless product a few years ago. I think its ok to give everyone one chance.

Tallen

Fledgling Freddie
Take 1 pinch of WoW, a cup of EQ2 and a sprig of DAoC and you have Vangard.

Totally unoriginal piece of mediocrity, im sure it'll be a big hit :)

Mundokar

One of Freddy's beloved
Sony.....no thanks they sold to much shit already.

Rootkits anyone ?

scorge

Fledgling Freddie
if you add wow gameplay and EQ graphics you have vanguard...

:m00:

Awarkle

Fledgling Freddie
i would neve rplay a mmo straight off the shelf too many of them are hitting the streets unfinished and basically your first free moth followed by the next 6 months are you paying to beta test the game.

Manisch Depressiv

Part of the furniture
i would neve rplay a mmo straight off the shelf too many of them are hitting the streets unfinished and basically your first free moth followed by the next 6 months are you paying to beta test the game.

That is true but there is nothing like being part of something that might become big the beginning.

I remeber EVE from beta 6 and the first years, was best.

Awarkle

Fledgling Freddie
naw i played eve beta when you could mine what ever you wanted IT was fun because you earned lots of money to do the fun stuff. after they nerfed it and you spent 6 months of what ever class you were MINING that was boring.

I tried playing it again and it was ok but still the most boring mmo ive ever played. Watching the stock market is more enjoyable than playing eve.

Bikkus

Fledgling Freddie
This is a poor MMO. Yes its very pretty but thats about it. Boring boring boring. I am one of the first to have a go at DAoC's weakness but Vanguard doesnt come anywhere near it in overall game play. I have a few friends who play on EQ2 and their whole guild went to vanguard to try it out (15 people). Within a week all had cancled their Vanguard accounts and returned to EQ2.

Vanguard lacks substance. By all means try it out after a year but at the moment it is a buggy, rushed MMO that still has a late stage BETA feel to it.

Be warned.

tazzbe

Fledgling Freddie
Well i remember how daoc was in the beta...the release and where it is now...5 years later. It's night & day difference of course.

But since i'm bored of daoc (well not the game...but low pop..nothing to do), and in WoW i don't feel like xp'ing a char to 70. I started with Vanguard.

I really hope that in a few months this game has a decent playerbase and some things get fixed...but for a start it isn't that bad.

Will spend some time this weekend to xp a bit again :p just too much work/hassle in real life atm to really get in the game :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom