United States of Po-Po

Aoami

I am a FH squatter
m.guardian.co.uk/ms/p/gnm/op/sBb-JM1hX72kPSkOd_cicLg/view.m?id=15&gid=world%2F2012%2Fjan%2F09%2Ftexas-police-schools&cat=most-read

Not sure how true it is as its the left wing mail, but crazy if this is actually widespread. Unless they are grammar police because we need them in more schools.

Aoami

I am a FH squatter
Posting on my phone so it doesnt format properly.

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
America is very quickly going down the shitter.

Cerb

I am a FH squatter
Not fair to paint everyone here with the same brush and all that.

Totally over the top but it's just another form of helicopter parenting gone mad. All it takes is a few hand wringers to decide that "that james boy comes from a shady family, I'm afraid that my tommy is in the same school" and this sort of thing happens. What's worse is that the state actually goes along with this sort of bullshit.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Like Vladimir Putin has been saying for ages - the United States is the closest thing to Nazi Germany since World War 2.

Uncle Sick

One of Freddy's beloved
Texas. It's Texas for Pete's sake. The US isn't just Texas or some other bible belt nut state.

Interesting how mainstream US news only cover the wonky stuff that's going on in Europe. And quite vice versa apparently.
No cops patrolling the hallways at my kids schools, thank you very much.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Texas. It's Texas for Pete's sake. The US isn't just Texas or some other bible belt nut state.

Interesting how mainstream US news only cover the wonky stuff that's going on in Europe. And quite vice versa apparently.
No cops patrolling the hallways at my kids schools, thank you very much.

It always starts from somewhere though. Much like california laws f*cked up things for smokers across the globe.

Wij

I am a FH squatter
Doesn't make him wrong tho.
It does if his own country is closer. Depends which measure you use but going by free press and democratic rights the US is lagging a long way behind the Russian Federation in Nazi-emulation.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
It does if his own country is closer. Depends which measure you use but going by free press and democratic rights the US is lagging a long way behind the Russian Federation in Nazi-emulation.

How many foreign empire-building wars have Russia been involved in (or started) in the last 20 years?

There are a lot of measures of facism and yep, Russia's a criminally corrupt hodge podge of idiocy, but you don't have to look hard at the States to find things that make you feel distinctly uncomfortable.

Wij

I am a FH squatter
Unless I'm mistaken Nazi Germany succeeded in occupying the countries it invaded, until the USSR. The US has been quite poor in that respect.

Uncle Sick

One of Freddy's beloved
How many foreign empire-building wars have Russia been involved in (or started) in the last 20 years?

There are a lot of measures of facism and yep, Russia's a criminally corrupt hodge podge of idiocy, but you don't have to look hard at the States to find things that make you feel distinctly uncomfortable.

You absolutely cannot compare the Russian so-called "Federation" with the US.

Worlds will collide on this topic but I (I) think (since I live here) that you cannot compare the general Russian mindset with it's American counter part at all, whatsoever.
There is no doubt in my mind that this isn't Clinton's 'everybody loves America' anymore but it isn't the 'fascist' society you kind of make it out to be.

Comedians still ridicule the president without being whisked away at night by the secret service. Not so sure about Russia there.
The Occupy movement started here. In Russia Czar Vladimir would send in the cossacks.
Popular dissidents in Russia still die or simply vanish under mysterious circumstances. Worst thing that will happen here is they get ridiculed on some AM radio conservative nut job show.
In Russia you'll be taken into 'protective custody' if it turns out that your dog was born in Chechnya. Here, I see Somali refugee women wear their damn burkas without getting shit for it.

I can continue this but I guess I made my point.

Nobody likes the Patriot Act. It was a band aid to keep the masses calm after 9/11 and the band aid opened all kinds of doors for abuse.
But you can talk about it and criticize it without reprisals.

It always starts from somewhere though. Much like california laws f*cked up things for smokers across the globe.

I'll bite. That statement is exactly as stupid as it sounds.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
I'll bite. That statement is exactly as stupid as it sounds.

F*k off weith your "i'll bite". The statement holds truth, these laws start somewhere and if not stopped then, have the potential to spread globally.

As i already said with the smoking ban. It has nothing to do with what the smoking ban was, but how it spread.

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
Personally I am fine with the smoking ban and I am a smoker.

We have the odd lock in at the pub, usually the ashtrays come out and any smoking ban is ignored. It doesn't take long before the air is full of smoke, it isn't nice.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Here, I see Somali refugee women wear their damn burkas without getting shit for it.

Just checking - do you think they should get shit?

Anyway. Those pepper spraying campus police have been suspended, apparently. But you have campus police??!

What for? Are your intellectual organisations hotbeds of criminal activity that need an authoritarian presence in case unruly students step over some magical unacceptable behaviour line or something?

I mean, the "pepper spray protest" was, after all, a demonstration against campus police using batons against other students...

Cerb

I am a FH squatter
Just checking - do you think they should get shit?

Anyway. Those pepper spraying campus police have been suspended, apparently. But you have campus police??!

What for? Are your intellectual organisations hotbeds of criminal activity that need an authoritarian presence in case unruly students step over some magical unacceptable behaviour line or something?

I mean, the "pepper spray protest" was, after all, a demonstration against campus police using batons against other students...
Seriously? I mean really?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virgina_tech_massacre

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Columbine_High_School_massacre

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_Whitman

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Oh noes! There've been a small number of on-campus shootings in the approximately 120,000+ educational institutions in the United States!

Put an armed cop on every corner, that's what I say...

Mabs

J Peasemould Gruntfuttock
so not getting involved in this, not worth the effort

i would just add though that i think a lot of it comes from the mindset that "its true in norfolk, so its true in england" being carried over to "its true in texas , so it must be true for the whole of the US"

Cerb

I am a FH squatter
I could use the same logic in reverse about the number of campus police who have done something like the pepper spray incident.

Also I didn't go to college here but I get the impression campus police are more like security and don't have nearly the same authority that real police have.

Cerb

I am a FH squatter
so not getting involved in this, not worth the effort

i would just add though that i think a lot of it comes from the mindset that "its true in norfolk, so its true in england" being carried over to "its true in texas , so it must be true for the whole of the US"
This.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom