UK QW CTF Nostalgia

FlameTop

Fledgling Freddie
One task for FT's xmas this year was to go through that big pile of unlabeled CDRs and sort them out. Deep in the pile was a disk with a volume label of P200 which was the name of my old Pentium 200 (swoon!) at work.

Lots of work crap on it, but hidden in a subfolder was some data I had long thought lost to the sands of time..... The UKCTFL web site master :) It appears to cover most of my time with the league, from season one in 97 right up to Quake 2. Theres even some demos and old files etc still intact.

So if you hail from that golden age (or are just interested in what us old gits keep wittering on about) head over to...

http://www.flametop.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/ukctfl/pub/

Blackadder

Fledgling Freddie
Alive: BSE-Blackadder

Wow, that really does take me back.. Nice to see you're still around FT!

I just had to make my first post after seeing this thread :D

I remember the UKCTFL well...

The pre-match chaos, the close run matches decided in the last 30 seconds, the (nearly) match long stalemates, the late night/early morning public matches and of course all those great QWCTF clans (QD, ASQ, DS, TBF, VR, and ACME to name a few).

Question is, how many of those old faces are still around these days?

A

o_0

teh funcup!

i rememb0r them :D any chance there might be a revival somepoint in the future?

Jaffa

Fledgling Freddie
By ek, that brings back memories FT. Good to see your still around m8. Gonna just nip over and take a mooch at that site. I still remember the good ol days of qwctf, and some of the great games I had in NIQ and ASQ, (a great bunch of guys). Remember the carnage in the locker when a red spawned in the blue half :) and when we all shit ourselves when Slick got the quad, but we held firm, ASQ's defence was the best. No game ever got my pulse going quite like qwctf. I still cant shoot straight, and miss my grapple.
I wonder where the old ASQ guys are these days, drc, zarj, dyno, kick, mad, mongo etc.
My brother and 1 or 2 others still play on axes now and then. I think I still have quake on a cd somewhere, do you have any demo's you can put up?
Jaff

Insane

Wait... whatwhat?
*remembers*

*feels all nostalgic*

we're still playing creeper CTF tho! qw.teczone.net :D

and im still wearing the NiQ tag :p

stormrider

Fledgling Freddie
another uk qw ctfer here.
Still got the Redemption webby on a CD as well :)

Found a screenshot of us getting our *rses kicked by ukctfl admin :)

Not played q3 in a while either, might have to find some of the public servers

Attachments

• RvAdmin.jpg
    RvAdmin.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 241

FlameTop

Fledgling Freddie
Wow, quite a few oldies still about :)

Thats a very rare screenshot there storm; Ted actually playing CTF!! :)

I still remember the nervous breakdown Ted had after only trying to admin a couple of UKCTFL games.... 'The fuckers wont stop shooting eachother!!!!' :)

I too remember the fun cups (or funkups as I called them) with great affection. Always brought a smile to my face as Cartman announced 'just like the gun i had in nam..' every time you pickup up an RL :)

I'll have a dig around, I think I still have some demos on some odl CDRs somehwere.

cheers all

FT

Fluter

Fledgling Freddie
Qwctf

Well hi all

Its been a long time ....toooo long :) well i'm afraid to say i've never really left the quake scene :) when ctf died in the uk i started to play dm :(...........
but in the last 6 months ctf has started to make a comeback me thinks .....i have been playing on a dutch server which regularly gets upto 16 players mainly dutch and swedish ...... although i have played with whez and slick on the same server and they are keen to play .. heres the ip 195.241.79.19:27500
Good to hear off some of the old faces ..........

Fluter .....aka Clit :)

P

Pumpkin

Ahh.

Though I was only involved in a latter part of the QW CTF scene, I've got to say it was the most fun multiplayer game I've ever played, and always brings back good memories.

Deady

Fledgling Freddie
ok call me a WISHFUL thinking noob if you want :)()

But it would be nice to get this shiny new creeper server freddy put up busy. (CTF never really shines when its 2v1 etc).

How about starting a freddys clan? and maybe offering to go against some other clan? Or splitting freddyshouse into 2 clans and playing each other in organised games :p

</noob>

TedTheDog

Fred's & Barry's co-founder
Heh, "ted actually playing ctf"..... bah! :touch:

I played a whole bunch in those days and, in a flurry of ego massaging 2nd to none, can prove it too!

Heres some screenies I kept (yes yes, for pretty bloody obvious reasons :p )
Theres a couple from Loony Tunes for 2 games (we folded after that, and I was the only player to turn up in the 3rd game and play against the eventual league winners, ASQ). LT was Tortured Souls and erm... another clan... whose name eludes me now, combined to play CTF.

And theres also another game where a few of the UKCTFL admins, including me despite my poor showing as an admin, sub'd for LE when they had a poor turnout. The game was defaulted, but we played to give everyone a game.
Anyway, some serious reminiscing with all those names from the past.

Ah, they were the days. I was actually half decent at a game, so you can tell it was a long time ago. By the way, one of the jpg's I actually named after the date of the game. 15th Sept 1997.

Attachments

• 150997.jpg
    150997.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 297
  • le.jpg
    le.jpg
    24.8 KB · Views: 254
  • quake27.jpg
    quake27.jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 277

oppy

Fledgling Freddie
TedTheDog said:
LT was Tortured Souls and erm... another clan... whose name eludes me now, combined to play CTF.

and Fallen Angels, and if I remember rightly you weren't the only one that showed up for asq :)

damn lpbs!

oppy

Fledgling Freddie
There's a few CTF sshots in http://www.daddied.com/sshots/, namely:

Unfortunately only from the "The Mr Men" era which was nearing the end of ukctf, I had some QD/LT sshots somewhere but seem to have misplaced them

C

corax

These screenshots bring back some fun memories. Racer, Sledge and I used to meet at some absurd hour on Sunday mornings for a kick about on Fast Ferret in NQ :) not played CTF in years, would be good to see some kind of comeback.

Erebus

Fledgling Freddie
Wow hi guys long time of the old school people here, great to see the old people are still about (even including you ted). Would be great to have a nice fun cup or something.

Sorry to say i aint got any of good old day screen shots but remember lots of matches.

hope to see some of you on the creeper server,
DS.Erebus and QD.StaR

Ivanski

Fledgling Freddie
Bringing back the memories there Phil!

Hiya fellow old peops, most of who I recognise, glad to see so many are still around ;)

I remember it well, starting in early 1998 on a P90 with a 28K modem (Which prolly makes me a nubee :) ) That UKCTFL site brings it all back, well archived that man!

I'll have to dig through some CDR's to try and find the QW installs and see if I can make it out of retirement!

DS.Ivanski / <Test-Pilot> - who never could shoot straight!

slick

Fledgling Freddie
Wow I can't believe so many oldschoolers are coming out of the woodwork, and its good to see so many DS/FTL representing :) Can't believe you still have that site flametop, I was actually just thinking about whatever happened to you and the kickass logo you did for my site, if you can even remember it!

We've had some great games on the creeper server but it seems to have lost popularity and is empty these days, I think everyone should reinstall qw and get fragging! :D

TedTheDog

Fred's & Barry's co-founder
For a start we should get the server rebooted so it actually works!

Fluter

Fledgling Freddie
Creeper+ctf

Yeh the server needs a re-boot again ! Haven't seen anyone on it 4 ages though ..... Slick why dont you get ur fragging boots over to 195.241.79.19:27500 here #qwctf.nl on irc ......for some pure qwctf .....regularly fills at nite with mainly dutch and swedish players +2or3 uk players.......but still get a ping of 50ish :) They are soon to be starting a league and it would be nice to have some uk players representing :)

D

dayglo

Wow, a blast from the past!

Hi all!

Good to see all these names again - I played for Qod and Clanextreme, if anyone remembers me. . .

I'll dig quakeworld out and go hunting for you guys - now all I have to do is write my .cfg again. . . should only take me three months or so :)

Anyways, see ya!

[QoD]Dayglo

TBF[HanDoJin]

Fledgling Freddie
allo chums, long time no see, just thought i'd shout me and creepster are still alive etc.

managed to locate my old quake dir after a false start, several old dead hard disk searches and a hack of Kickass's quake dir (just wasnt the same i tell yah).

reckon me and creeps will be back for some creeper and ctf sometime soon, as always im half cut so theres little chance of me getting it sorted tonite, but at least i dont have a modem to complain about now, i'll have to resort to geffers favorite 'cant get started' :) :)

good to see all the old crowd still rolling around the shop though :)

Handojin

Creepster

Regular Freddie
Rah!

Just figured that since Han was saying hullo I would post a message and say hullo as well...

we've been talking recently about digging out our old quake directories and trying to play some games... nice to see that so many other peeps think that it would be a good idea...

not sure if I'll be able to play without my ridiculous LPB status from before... but i'm willing to die (a lot) trying...

:)

rah to quake!

S

SkidMark

That brings back some old memories and it's good to see some familiar names from back then. :)
I was in QOD back in the days of the UKCTFL.

Stimpy

Fledgling Freddie
Ah Creepster my old Clan Boss from the days of QD, brings back the memories :)

]AC[dRuM

Fledgling Freddie
What about a page? An Oldschool UKQW page that just pools resources (files etc) A few quick read me articles, hows to's, maps etc.

A quick and dirty guide to diving into QW again. This would help people who have either :

a) Forgotten how or
b) Fancy trying the legendary QW for the first time (maybe)

Also you may have some problems with Win XP and QW so these would need to be looked at and documented if and when they occur.

No pressure on anyone to produce anything, just a collection of information that people can have input too as and when they want. To be honest it doesn't have to be fancy either.

It would be a good idea to post and ask for people to list what resources they have in a QW capacity (gives all the old farts a chance to show off what they kept of their Quake collection as well)

;)

R

romeo

QWCTF-league

Hello everyone. I'm a QWCTF-player from Sweden. We are trying to revive the scene by creating an QWCTF-league. We would be thrilled to have a team from UK to play in it.

We are using fuhquake with the ctf add-on. you can get it at
http://equake.quakeworld.nu

and the league homepage is at
http://qwcl.quakeworld.nl

Also we are in dire need of a ctf-server in the UK, since we will have teams from USA competing, and the best way to get even ping between USA and EU is by playing on UK servers.

Interested in hosting a server or playing in the league? Contact me at
romeo@quakeworld.nl

See you around.

P

Piste

Piste here, formerly of clan NiQ, stumbled upon this page via google search. :)

Nice to see a lot of familar names, brings back a load of great memories from years gone by...Zarjazz and Iceman et al spamming LAG when you finally killed them...ASQ poachi- err I mean recruiting for the new seasons...threats of extreme violence on the BW public server when you 'accidently' picked up someones rune...figuring out which one of his 23 alias Whez was playing under...those were the days. (JUST KIDDING GUYS) :D

Blackadder

Fledgling Freddie
Piste said:
...figuring out which one of his 23 alias Whez was playing under...those were the days. (JUST KIDDING GUYS) :D

Your telling me, I was his clan boss and even I didn't have a clue who/what/where he was most of the time... Don't even start me on how many aliases BsE-Stabber (Rocco) had.... :D

Speaking of which where have all the BsE guys gone? Come on lads there were loads of us!

I miss those days... Except for the phone bills.

:m00:

Blacky!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom