UK QW CTF Nostalgia

B

BaNJaX

Oh lo ;)

Don't know why, just Googled ukctfl and found this thread :) How's it goin guys? Been out of the gaming scene for a couple of years, just got my own place sorted again. CS is dead and DC is, well, a bit bent. Reinstalled QW today, just typed connect quake.xs4all.nl and hey its still there lol. You guys still playing? If so where'd i get creeper12.zip and what's the IP? Hope to see you soon. BaNJaX.

Lizardking

Fledgling Freddie
All the quake1, creeper and ctf files needed to play on 2K/XP in one nicely zipped up file (well 2) here, theres even a batch file to connect to xs4all.nl for lazy gits.

http://ecksbedroom.servebeer.com/

A quick and dirty guide to diving into QW again. This would help people who have either :

a) Forgotten how or
b) Fancy trying the legendary QW for the first time (maybe)

Also you may have some problems with Win XP and QW so these would need to be looked at and documented if and when they occur.

Ivanski

Fledgling Freddie
Even more peops coming out of the woodwork :D

Anyone remember QD's? 'aliasing' page, something along the lines of :-

You start to play under an alias,
Your alias scores higher then you on pub servers,
Your alias gets invited to join your clan,
You get dropped from the team in favor of your alias,

Anyone seen anything of Andy 'ImAllNines'

Blackadder said:
I miss those days... Except for the phone bills.

:m00:

Blacky!

Blacky, in a mail archive I found your BT enforced signoff email, lump in the throat stuff :)

Ivan

Ghaz/Icey

Fledgling Freddie
Woooot? CTF? UKCTFL?

Well well well!
Im shocked!
Thanks to Piste mentioning my name on this forum, i found you all!
Yes ok... i did shout LAG alot, mind u, i was on Modem! No excuse for Zarj :p

Anyway! how are you guys? long time no see!?

Nice to see some names on here! EG: SLICK, Whez, rocco, Fluter, Flametop, Zarj, Piste, Blackadder, Jaffy, Avatar, Insane, Pump, TedTheDog, oppy, Corax, erebus, Ivanski, DAYGLO!, Hando, Creeps, Skidmark, [LE]Thunder!, Banjax, and the others i forgot... the names on here go on! its great to see you again.

After QWCTF, i moved to QWDM 1v1 Dueling... i think i done well in that :p

If you guys start playing QWCTF again, give me a shout!

Since ive seen this forum, ill be on IRC as Icey or something so give me a shout!

Take Care,
Cyaz. [005]IceMan / Icey or whatever alias i may have used in the past :p
A Person Very fond of QWCTF/QWDM and someone that misses old QW FUN!

Whez

Loyal Freddie
Hello all!

I'm feeling just as nostalgic as you all. Those were the best online days of our lives man..i think for me it was a good 2-4 years and every moment was worth it.

You know i remember all the names that have posted on here and some in the screenshots.

Flametop: What can i say, without you and Ted and DrC and Zarjazz and everyone else, the UKCTFL wouldn't have been incredible as it has been. You guys really bought the community together along with your creativity like the Fun Cup and adding the UKCTFL maps and for me, nothing has compared to it.

Piste: I didn't realise I was so bad with aliases back then. Is that really true?!

Slick: We met up a couple of months ago on Xs4all with Fluter and had a couple of games. I think it was for nostalgia wasn't it? Missed the spark like in the old days though, i guess some things will be only in our memories.

Erebus: what can i say, you carry your skills onto other games (DAOC) very nicely.

Blackadder: wise leader of BSE. You were patient with me & Rocco beyond words ;) Remember that time we met up in Leicester square and had some pasta with Tigger & Gamer & BillyH?

Ivanski: I bumped into Andy (nines) in the early Q3 days but didn't see him after that.

Icey: Hey we have a lot of history in E and the time we went to the Dutch Lan with Dyno, Rocco & Lecter matey

I lost all my old Q1 screenshots & demos to a hard disk format a while ago and really regret it so it was great to see some screenshots posted here. Can someone post some more if you have any? Its like a photo album that you look back on & really brings a tear *sniff*

I haven't met up with Rocco (Kois) for a while but I know he is now married and has a son. I bumped into him in Q3 last year but he wasn't playing on a serious basis. Rocco if you see this..get in touch with me!

Don't you all wish you could go back in time & do it all over again with the knowledge you know now, the PC you have now, and the broadband connect you have now? :)

Most Memorable moment: playing QW CTF for the first time & joining Minos for the first time (after moving from vanilla quake). The map was Capturephobilis and seeing all these guys with strange numbered tags dominate the game - Zarjazz, Jaffa, Mongo et al - my mouth was wide open and I was hooked on getting better from seeing ASQ in action on the public servers.

My personal Legends/Heros when I first started (these are the guys that really impressed me & gave me some drive): Zarjazz, Slick (mad with quad), Noodle, Enrique, Axen, Kickass, Rocco, Snook, Jaffa (mad capping skillz), Tine (great HPB).

Most envied clans: ASQ, DS, QD, EW, HH. We all wanted to be as good as you guys :]

Toan
whezly@yahoo.com

Whez

Loyal Freddie
forgot to add all the TBF guys who I am indebted to for taking me under your wing. You were my first ever QW clan and you gave me a break & let me join you when I was a crap newbie. Thankyou! esp Han-do-jin.

slick

Fledgling Freddie
good to hear from you whez :> I have some demos and jpgs from the old days, but unfortunatly they're on my pc in the uk (im in australia atm) and i have no idea when i'll be back to upload them :) Like you I lost a hell of a lot of stuff that was on my *ancient* pc that had some very old screenies and jpgs, depressing stuff :<

Its funny that you mention Enrique, one of my earliest memories is trying to defend on ctf2m6 and enrique spanking everybody when he attacked, had compeltely forgotten about that -g- Does anyone remember a guy called Tine at all? He was in asq for a while I think, then was in DS then just disappeared. He was an arrogant wanker but he taught me all I knew and I would love to know what happened to him hehe

slick

Fledgling Freddie
ok lol i just re-read your post whez and saw you mentioned tine at the bottom, i really gotta stop trying to post late at night when i've been working all day :> still, some info about him would be nice, anyone got an idea?

Whez

Loyal Freddie
hey slicky boy! What you doing in Australia? I only remember Tine through reputation and seeing him playing 1-2 times on public and being amazed how good he was. No idea what happened. Same goes with SnooK. If someone can shed light.

Whez
p.s post some screenies ..i get my hankies :)

G

Geffers

A message from TBF.Geffers

Hello people. I came across this message board by accident - TBF Pazazu emailed me, so I went surfing for CTF links. it's great to be reminded of those fun days, and all those names made the memories flood back.

Somewhere I've a saved game on an archive CD - I must dig it out and reminisce...

Since Quake, I played Asheron's Call for years, and that was a lot of fun too.

All the best

Geoff. (Geffers)

Whez

Loyal Freddie
Hello Geffers!

How can I forget you? You were our only LPB in TBF and I kept thinking your ping of 100 was not low enough!!

Those were really fun days. I think its as much about the people & the scne as the game itself that made it so addictive.

We should get as many people together for a reunion sometime in "the next big game" whatever that is. But that big game is gonna be hard to match.

Whez

Blackadder

Fledgling Freddie
Nice to see you Whez. Of course I remember our little meeting, especially the fact it took me longer to get to London on the train than it did for Gamer to fly over from Belgium!

As for you and Rocco, you too were unhinged! I'd be lying if I said you made it easy for me, but watching you both in action definately made it worthwhile. Rocco and yourself were one of the most scary attacking lineups the UKCTFL ever featured.. But then I'm biased ;)

It was all so long ago, but I remember it well. Had a shock yesterday when I found half of the original cast of Xtreme Chaos (DM clan that made up most of the original BSE lineup) still holed up in #xc on Quakenet :D

It was a pleasure playing with all these names I'm seeing on here. It's wonderful to see so many people still around. I doubt I'll ever fire a rocket launcher again.. But I remember what it felt like, and that'll do ;)

Uriel

Fledgling Freddie
Blackadder said:
It was all so long ago, but I remember it well. Had a shock yesterday when I found half of the original cast of Xtreme Chaos (DM clan that made up most of the original BSE lineup) still holed up in #xc on Quakenet :D
Not the *real* original XC surely?! MDK/Omega Mad/Taz/Nitehawk/Psychopath... Bah! My head hurts just thinking about it. Must be getting on for 10 years now...:mad:

Ghaz/Icey

Fledgling Freddie
#qwoldies

Tryn to get a few of the oldies back! well, in irc Anyway!
The channel is #qwoldies

Would be very nice to see you all there...

Take care
Icey
A less arrogant [005.IceMaN] / Ice-E

Blackadder

Fledgling Freddie
Uriel said:
Not the *real* original XC surely?! MDK/Omega Mad/Taz/Nitehawk/Psychopath... Bah! My head hurts just thinking about it. Must be getting on for 10 years now...:mad:

Yup. The original XC :)

And it has been about ten years yes... *ARGH!*

Cask

Fledgling Freddie
10 years and still haven't grown up, still a compulsive gamer. Makes me cringe to think what I was like back then.

Tried to join that #qwoldies channel but it was empty. Don't like IRC these days anyway as it's too much hassle loading it up every time I turn on my PC. Trying to be environmentally friendly by not leaving it on idling too often.

[DAC]Vince and subsequently [EW]Lithium by the way.

Noc0de

Can't get enough of FH
Ah jeez I miss it as well :(

Didn't start playing QW until towards the end, but I used to play for Vengeance as [V]gEE and then joined CIX Old Bastards (COB) when CIX separated a bit.

Went on to play Q3 and COD with some of the old CIX/COB guys tho such as Traz, Sheol, Nimbus etc. Its a real shame, I'd love to go back and play from the beginning - still got loads of old QW demo's that I spent ages watching.

samanthax

Fledgling Freddie
corax said:
These screenshots bring back some fun memories. Racer, Sledge and I used to meet at some absurd hour on Sunday mornings for a kick about on Fast Ferret in NQ :) not played CTF in years, would be good to see some kind of comeback.

where is the screenshots?? can you please link it to me.. thnks..........

D

deouro

Time to bring this thread into 2007 before it's too late!

Christmas time is quite at work, so I just got around to pursuading my collegues to play Quake1 CTF. Oh the memories.

I remember playing with many of you. Best of luck with what ever you are up to these days. Would love to see any demos anyone has recorded from those heady days in 97-98. :) I'm sure Youtube would be a richer place with some of our old demos on it.

Happy Christmas!

Neil
AKA TBF[Pazuzu]

X

xenomorph

I saw a lack of TE mentioned here!

And we were always such good cannon fodder for everyone!

fuck how is weird is it to see peoples names again! How did i not find this thread earlier? Its just turned 2008, this thread is already 5 years old. how is everyone? I've bumped into some of you on irc between 2003 and now but its cool to see everyone is a--ook. There isn't enough division 2 representation here! So i'll slap on redemption, 2T, DUoS, QOD.. hmmm and thats all i remember without someone triggering my memory.

I'd really love to play some qwctf again, played Q3CTF since 2001 (or maybe earlier) but QWCTF is definatly where my love lies. Where could I get everything i'd need? :p Would be so ace to play with everyone again, im sure i could get some of the old TE boys to paly also!!

Creepster

Regular Freddie
Just randomly came across these forums and was browsing about and found this thread and thought I would revive it and wave hullo at people who used to play QW CTF :p

Deebs

Chief Arsewipe
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Ah those were the days, creeper ctf for fucking brilliant. Was one of mine and Ted's favourite mods!

Maybe one day I will install a QW client and server and have a little play.

Padishar

Regular Freddie
Wow, I just happened to find some old QW demos of some old UKCTFL matches and a load of IRC logs buried in an obscure folder on one of my old machines so I went searching around for an updated client to watch them on and stumbled across this place. It's great to see lots of the old names are still about (or at least have been from time to time over the last few years). Hi to everyone that remembers me, I have very fond memories of lots of you guys (and gals, /me waves at Creep), those years of QW CTF (and to a lesser extent, Tribes) really were great fun...

FT, are you still in touch with any of the other old ASQ folks...?

[006.Padishar]

Jaffa

Fledgling Freddie
Good to see some folk from the qwctf days, 6 years since I last posted on this thread, lol. Just letting you know I'm still around. If anyone plays TF2, me and fluter (aka clit) have been playing this since it came out a couple of years ago, we are on steam as ShiftyJaffa & mr.white, so add us if u know us.

Cheers :)

[002].Jaffa

J

Job3:25

Hi Guys/Gals.

Cool to see so many old names that I remember from the best online days I've ever had. I don't think anything has caught my attention in the same way as the early years of quake and mainly ctf. Weird finding this thread as I was tidying through some old CD's and found my quake zip files with a document I emailed to our clan with tactics for upcoming games.

So many cool memories. Buying ISDN to become an lpb :) Paying the 1st bill for being an lpb :ninja:

All the great league games

Sitting on barrysworld at stupid am playing creeper :D

I went through what most people did I guess - onto quake 2 (played ctf again - classic ctf was great), then quake 3 - after that MMORPG's - getting older and reactions are gone ;)

I am still keeping up my ctf spirit by playing COD MW2 ;)

Hope y'all have a good chrimbo!!

L8rs

Kev aka [EW]Job 3:25

Jupitus

Old and short, no wonder I'm grumpy!
Staff member
FH Subscriber
This is one of my favouritistest threads on here :)

Jupitus

Old and short, no wonder I'm grumpy!
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Heh, that explains it! :D

Ghaz/Icey

Fledgling Freddie
Blacky, i couldn't agree more fella...
I played alot of Q3/Q4 with Dyno and some Q3 with whez... I still keep in touch with John/Dyno very often and have recently watched the demos of when we went to Netgamez 99.... Whez, Rocco, Dyno, Lecter and myself...

Watching Whez/Rocco and Dyno holding midfield for quad then attacking was just pure perfection... then i would move forward to mid to destroy anyone that got in the way of the flagman whilst lecter done a good job of defending... Its just awesome watching the pace of the game and the skillz of everyone at that even... True memories!

Whez, when i went to ibiza 2 years ago i lost your number, been meaning to try and find an old email to reply to....

If you find this, drop me an email to ghaz_wilson AT hotmail.co.uk with your number mate.

Icey/Ghaz

[005.IceMan] of ASQ
Icey.E from E ;)

EDIT - just dropped out the email to prevent bot mailing..... Jup.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom