[TSW] 3 Faction PvP ?

wutae

One of Freddy's beloved
Well the forums were dead in the last few days :p so i decided to throw in the discussion of a new mmorpg that is under development, named "The Secret World"

1.No levels, no classes

Yep, that's right. TSW has no level progression, nor does it know classes. Instead you'll have 500 unique skills to choose from to build the kind of character and playstyle you like. The skills are unique, in the sense that you won't see a Fireball level 1, level 2 etc. Of course, not all the skills will be available to you right from the start, it might be that you have to select other skills first before they become available to you, or skills become unlocked and visible because of the actions and missions you take.

2.No fantasy or sciencefiction

TSW isn't a high (or low) fantasy MMO for a change, and neither a scifi one. TSW takes place in our time, in our world, but then one where all the legends, myths, folklore tales and conspiracy theories might be true. With its inspirational influences from Lovecraft and Stephen King, TSW has resemblances in atmosphere and themes with the X-Files, Supernatural, Hellblazer (see John Constantine and TSW's Alex McCall) and Vampire the Masquerade, and could be called an urban fantasy or dark fantasy/horror MMORPG

3.Investigation Missions and ARG raids

TSW will know a different kind of quest, namely the Investigation Missions: these are mysteries and puzzles that need to be solved to progress further in them, much as you'll see in adventure games like Syberia or The Longest Journey, but with the difference that you'll need out-of-game research via google and other means in order to solve them. Those missions aren't obligatory but optional, you won't need to do them to progress, but doing them will reveal additional content and unveil deeper secrets and mysteries. A number of them will require teamwork to solve, and some secrets and mystery missions scale up to 'ARG raids', where whole guilds and more are required to work together and brainstorm in order to make a chance solving them.

4. And the MOST important 3 Faction PvP

As i did a small research, the game itself is a bit like Guild Wars 2, but with NO dynamic questing, but instead traditional questing that requires to solve mysteries solved through Google . ( Yes it means you will need to ALT-TAB and google the things u may want to find to answer the mystery )

About the same combat system as Guild Wars 2 , and finally the main concept and world map and everything is based on the mysteries and maps of IRL.

A small "trailer" alike video : YouTube - The Secret World GDC 11 Trailer [HD]

DISCUSS !!

LordjOX

Part of the furniture
Afaik the only PvP zones we know of are WoW-style battleground zones with capture the flag and that kinda stuff. Even though it's a three-way conflict, it's still battlegrounds based

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
Afaik the only PvP zones we know of are WoW-style battleground zones with capture the flag and that kinda stuff. Even though it's a three-way conflict, it's still battlegrounds based

Fail then! I was looking forward to this but the more I read up about it the more it sounds like a missed opportunity.

wutae

One of Freddy's beloved
Fail then! I was looking forward to this but the more I read up about it the more it sounds like a missed opportunity.

well i dont believe that we can judge this early, only BGs ? no game out there has ONLY BGs imo. even wow that doenst really support open pvp, has e.g TOL BARAD which is extremely small and full of pve, but as i was saying even wow has such a thing.

My curiosity says only one thing, WhyTF developers do not try to make moar games with 3 or even more factions so they do something different ;o

Why developers try to innovate only for the pve elements of games and not the PVP one ;o

Ruler of PVE right now is WoW

But there is no ruler for a pvp mmorpg.

eksdee

FH is my second home
Sounds interesting, but if it is true the PvP is only instanced then it's just another MMO on the steaming fail pile.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
That's because its been proven time and again that BG pvp is utter rubbish. WoW pvp is probably the worst pvp experience around at the moment, only people who don't know any better play WoW for the pvp!

LordjOX

Part of the furniture
To be fair I agree it's too early to judge. Funcom have only shown a tiny part of the PvP and we know that instanced BG's will be included. Open PvP areas are unconfirmed.

The game still looks fun enough on the PvE side though, plus the setting is original

Talivar

Part of the furniture
Daoc BG pvp was fun, so shows it can be done well if its a persistant instance and not just capture the flag ect

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
Game looks promising if it weren't for one thing.

It's funcom that develops it....

And that makes me stay well clear of it.

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
well i dont believe that we can judge this early, only BGs ? no game out there has ONLY BGs imo.

No, no game out there does have only BG's, but they don't take care of the OPvP, they just chuck in in there because they should...

OPvP needs to have a purpose, and bar DAoC and a select few other games, it just doesn't.

It's just random gankfests.

eksdee

FH is my second home
Well the problem with having instanced PvP at all is it splits the population, usually massively in favour of the instances because they are more convenient, simple and usually easier to gain rewards quicker - thereby killing OPvP. The only reason this wasn't completely true for Warhammer was that the scenarios were so awful and that the OPvP had even better rewards for PvE disguised as PvP (aka objectives). OPvP certainly needs a 'purpose', but PvE objectives that grant PvP bonuses such as we saw in Warhammer with battle objectives and keep take rewards are killers for any serious PvP imo.

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
Sure, but people that refuse to compromise in favor of the whole, is just as guilty of ruining opvp as the devs that only listens to one or the other side.

You can not have a MMO that has both pvp and pve and have them both be completely detached from each other. Then it ends up like in Rift, where only battlegrounds are the viable option.

Pve and pvp needs to work together to make opvp successful, if only to just keep as much of the population as content as possible.

eksdee

FH is my second home
Yep, certainly, but what I mean is the end-result of the reward for completing said objectives can't outweigh the reward of actually killing a player. In Warhammer - like 5,000 rps for locking a zone, 100 for killing a player in a group? Doesn't really make any sense to do anything but RvE - as the players coined it - for max RP gain, which is ultimately what the 'average' player will aim for.

wutae

One of Freddy's beloved
yeah but the average player in daoc was doing rve as well, trying to capture the keeps, the thing is that the distances were so huge that it was supporting ganking on rvr areas, so small grps could be organised and do their thing.

The other thing that worked really well in daoc was the fact that the game had speed classes and ways to escape from a zerg, no other game had such a thing. Many daoc players hated ToA but ToA brought speedwrap which combined with Speed of Sound was a great tool to escape in oRvR when things were becoming messy,

And as i mentioned above the fact that the DAoC's RvR had great success was the huge RvR zones, forcing people to spread, if only Failhammer had used so huge areas as daoc, the game even with no end game would have great success as people forget that the greatest fun is to have a blast fighting other players.

Warhammer tried to force people to fight in 3 different regions which was completely wrong because Mythic never looked back and see that even if daoc had 3 zones as well people were mostly gathering in 1. 1 zone in warhammer should have been as huge as 3 zones combined.

wutae

One of Freddy's beloved
BTW i read somewhere that guildwars 2, non instanced pvp will be server vs server vs server is that true ? anyone heard about that ? ;o

If that's true it means that Guild wars 2 may not have 3 factions but only 1, but even like that if they do server Vs server Vs server it will be exactly like 3factions.

And as i currently play wow , i thought, imagine AV size RATED bg ( and maybe 50% bigger ) , with 3 different sides.

Means that u dont really need 3 factions to make a game's pvp work . AS u can just use a huge instanced bg that forces 3 different servers to fight each other ;o

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
Yeah there are some rumors going about that but i can't find anything official that supports it, the FAQ's hardly even touch pvp other then "GvG will be as in the original".

Closest thing i can find atm is

Will Guild Wars 2 have world pvp?

also here:
Pvp Servers??

But again, nothing official what i've found.

And as i currently play wow , i thought, imagine AV size RATED bg ( and maybe 50% bigger ) , with 3 different sides.

That will mean that 2 sides will pvp while the third go for an easy win... :p

wutae

One of Freddy's beloved
That will mean that 2 sides will pvp while the third go for an easy win... :p

well isnt that the purpose of 3 factions ? :)

wutae

One of Freddy's beloved
world pvp is an objectives based Player versus Player game mode based in a large scale open world which allows hundreds of players at all levels to drop-in and drop-out at any time.

Every week three different worlds are matched up on a random map to compete for rewards for their world.

World PvP takes place in the Mists, an area outside of the Tyria world map. It will be accessable to characters almost immediately from character creation. There is no limit to the number of players which can access World PvP at one time. It has been suggested there could be several hundred characters on each side of a World PvP battle.

Reward = server bonuses ( smells like tower-keeps-relic bonuses from daoc )

Brings back realm pride or i guess server pride? as they called it back then :p

Players can gain experience and level their character entirely in World PvP. Killing people in World vs World gives the player loot which means a player doesn't need to leave World PvP to get better gear.

taken from guildwars wiki

wutae

One of Freddy's beloved
Just wanted to add that if u have way too many questions and u are bored to search for them you can actually see this : YouTube - Guild Wars 2 - PAX East 2011 - Discussion Panel Part 1

If you know at least a few things about guildwars 2 u better skip to 10:00 minutes. 2 parts btw, so yeah total is about 1 hour long. ( i would skip these 10 minutes )

Punishment

Resident Freddy
I have been looking at this game for some time now, and trust me its gonna flop :D

LordjOX

Part of the furniture
Let's discuss GW2 in a GW2 thread and TSW in a TSW thread :)

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
But we've already said everything that can be said about TSW, so now its a FFA for everything else... :p

wutae

One of Freddy's beloved
the huge question is : what will be the PERSONAL rewards from open pvp ? if it's a lame gear or sthing like that, then it's gonna be like not having end game, oh well only time will tell.

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
Personally i'm hoping for very minor factionwide buffs and not much more else.

Whisperess

Can't get enough of FH
but even like that if they do server Vs server Vs server it will be exactly like 3factions.
Knowing your enemies is every bit as important as knowing your allies. That's why server vs server vs server will never be "exactly" like hib/mid/alb on one server. (as the servers you're up against will vary depending on how well you're doing on your server) That last part is important though, as it might potentially open up for actual cooperation between guilds again. (and less of the "me myself and I!" that's been plaguing every MMO since ToA, more or less.

wutae

One of Freddy's beloved
the hard facts are that this game is closer to daoc than what warhammer ever was. And in warhammer wtf with the pve zone to be in the same area as the pvp zone ? incredible stupid and no lag free.

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
The idea with WAR's rvr lakes would have been superb if they would have done it the way they first explained it, with T1 being mostly pve with a tiny pvp area, and t4 being not much more then massive rvr zones and a tiny bit of pve.

But as with everything MMO, it's always the loud minority that wins, so they fucked it up and gave the pve carebears to much space that they wouldn't use anyway...

Fafnir

Resident Freddy
But as with everything MMO, it's always the loud minority that wins, so they fucked it up and gave the pve carebears to much space that they wouldn't use anyway...
If this was true and they listen to the lout minority then most mmo´s today would have perma death. And how many really big "PVP" mmo´s are there out there?

And to thoose who still think DAOC is the lost grail, well alarmclock relic raids, all thoose keep takes that where done with no defenders etc etc etc. Laggy servers that had trouble handling primetime relic raids. FOTM and cookiecut pvp groups.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom