Trump defeated by wind

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
Best description of Trump I've seen so far: "burnt-sienna insult balloon".

Jupitus

Old and short, no wonder I'm grumpy!
Staff member
FH Subscriber
So, Trump was Trumped by a Trump?

Job

The Carl Pilkington of Freddyshouse
One of the finest golf courses in the world at the home of golf and they stick windfarms around it that will make enough electricity to charge the golf carts...way to go Scotland...where next, top of Ben Nevis?

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
Fuck him and fuck his golf course.

Bodhi

Once agreed with Scouse and a LibDem at same time
The home of golf is about 90 miles down the coast in St Andrews.

Trem

Not as old as he claims to be!
While Trump is a cunt and I like that this has annoyed him he does have a point about the view and Job does have a point about the point of erm the windmills. If it was a nature activist arguing it people would see it in a different light.

Windfarms are useless and shit, are they just being built now to meet some sort of green funding rules or something?

Gwadien

Uneducated Northern Cretin
If you like it or not, there's windfarms across all of the UK, sure some people like them, some people see them as an eyesore, I couldn't object to the one being built in the view of my house, so why should some people who have some money be able to object to it?

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Windfarms generate a fair amount of electricity and while they're no replacement for traditional power stations, they certainly aren't a waste of time.

I don't know what the bewigged tosspot is on about anyway. He trampled over an SSSI and the views of local residents to build a golf course. I mean, the website for the place says this "I have never seen such an unspoiled and dramatic sea side landscape" on the front page. You could put that down to poor copy, but given his recent outbursts in the US, I'm convinced the man is just a massive cunt who should die in a fire.

Oh and it costs £2,500 for a year's membership. We wouldn't want those poor people spoiling the view now would we? I hope someone takes 1,000 moles up there and lets them loose.

Job

The Carl Pilkington of Freddyshouse
Yes they do make a good bit of power under the right wind conditions...the problem is it is so unreliable that they can't use it 90% of the time, the generation grid in the UK is a highly managed juggling act to keep voltage, current and hz all within limits...a bank of windmills is rather like throwing in a greasy bowling ball, that's why their ability to replace fossil/nuke is insignificant.

Bodhi

Wind Power is actually one of the dirtiest power sources available to us in the UK. If the wind is optimum it's OK, but if not then a fleet of Diesel Generators kick in, to supply the power wind cannot.

Y'know, that energy source we abandoned in the 18th Century because it was too unreliable?

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
if not then a fleet of Diesel Generators kick in
You mean if not then coal, gas and nuclear take up the slack.

So, what you're effectively saying is that wind ameliorates our full-time reliance on our current very dirty power generating stock and makes our energy usage cleaner overall.

Bodhi

You mean if not then coal, gas and nuclear take up the slack.

So, what you're effectively saying is that wind ameliorates our full-time reliance on our current very dirty power generating stock and makes our energy usage cleaner overall.

No. I mean diesel generators. I assume you are well aware of STOR and how it's generated?

Some reading from a few sources, I'll leave it up to you which one you read.

http://www.theguardian.com/environm...sidies-driving-boom-in-polluting-diesel-farms

http://instituteforenergyresearch.o...e-diesel-generators-to-back-up-wind-turbines/

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ear...be-paying-billions-for-this-wind-back-up.html

Tom

I am a FH squatter

The Guardian's article makes no mention of a link between wind power and diesel generators. The IER website, which is pretty dubious (http://www.sourcewatch.org/index.php/Institute_for_Energy_Research ), makes the claim that "Because of the unreliability of these wind turbines (and solar farms), the UK government is subsidizing diesel generators over $670 million to provide back-up power". But it has not proven that the reason diesel generators exist is down to the unreliability of wind. In fact, the Guardian's report makes clear that diesel generators can kick in in under a minute, something a large gas power station (for instance) cannot do. And then you have the opinion piece by Christopher Booker, whose views run contrary to pretty much everyone else involved in climate science. A man whose libellous article cost his newspaper a six-figure sum (http://www.theguardian.com/environm.../26/rajendra-pachauri-financial-relationships ).

I remain unconvinced.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
No. I mean diesel generators. I assume you are well aware of STOR and how it's generated?
http://www.theguardian.com/environm...sidies-driving-boom-in-polluting-diesel-farms
I'm fully aware of those dubious clames but either way that's a political failure - not a failure of wind farm generation. That's our government subsidising dirty fuel generation rather than focussing on demand reduction so to blame wind farms for that is utterly ludicrous.

Yet even with that:
Plants run for short periods quite infrequently, less than 50 hours a year on average. They are designed to start and get to full output very fast and can do so in 45 seconds if needs be.

Throw away tens of thousands of hours of renewable generation for this sort of usage?

Edit:
I remain unconvinced.
As do .

Bodhi

The Guardian's article makes no mention of a link between wind power and diesel generators. The IER website, which is pretty dubious (http://www.sourcewatch.org/index.php/Institute_for_Energy_Research ), makes the claim that "Because of the unreliability of these wind turbines (and solar farms), the UK government is subsidizing diesel generators over $670 million to provide back-up power". But it has not proven that the reason diesel generators exist is down to the unreliability of wind. In fact, the Guardian's report makes clear that diesel generators can kick in in under a minute, something a large gas power station (for instance) cannot do. And then you have the opinion piece by Christopher Booker, whose views run contrary to pretty much everyone else involved in climate science. A man whose libellous article cost his newspaper a six-figure sum (http://www.theguardian.com/environm.../26/rajendra-pachauri-financial-relationships ).

I remain unconvinced.

All I would ask, is that if they are not there to make up for the unreliability of wind power (and let's face it, it is pretty unreliable, and has a habit of disappearing when you need it most), what are they there for then?

Tom

I am a FH squatter
For load balancing, as the Guardian's article says. The alternative is keeping another power station running. Guess which scenario uses more energy?

Trem

For load balancing, as the Guardian's article says. The alternative is keeping another power station running. Guess which scenario uses more energy?
I'll worry about it when China and America do. It's all smoke and mirrors to think anything we do makes a piss bit of difference.

Wind farms are a good way to up your bills because they are "investing in renewable energy".

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Well the Chinese eat ground tiger penis, so I suppose if it's good enough for them you'll be buying some tomorrow? With a side-order of dog and toad.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
Logic fail.

Whatever we do makes fuck all difference globally, when China just churn it out like its going out of fashion.

Bored of people trying to impose their guilt onto me

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Bored of people trying to impose their guilt onto me
I don't think that anyone's even mentioned feeling guilty, or even more specifically, you, in this thread.

If you're feeling guilty then you're doing that all on your own :)

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
Nah. I say I don't give a fuck about renewable, you start bleating on about how I should. We have done this to death.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
you start bleating on about how I should
Haven't said anything of the sort. You're right on one thing - you're too tin-foil to bother with on this subject. I just wondered why you brought up the fact you felt guilty...

Trem

I think Raven means the shit we get fed to make us feel guilty. Like it's us, the small people who should pay for it now it's gone tits up. We are meant to feel like scum if we drive a V8 etc. It's all just a marketing ploy to make more money and they know it makes no difference in the grand scheme of things.

Blair saw the opening and it's carried on since then.

old.user4556

Has a sexy sister. I am also a Bodhi wannabee.
The whole thing is a pile of shit with cunts on all sides.

Trump? Cunt.

Salmond? Cunt, but an intelligent cunt.

Wind farms? Don't see a problem, but people get cunty about them.

Golf? A game for cunts.

Bodhi

Must admit though, Trumps reply to Salmon was fucking hilarious.

Bodhi

I think Raven means the shit we get fed to make us feel guilty. Like it's us, the small people who should pay for it now it's gone tits up. We are meant to feel like scum if we drive a V8 etc. It's all just a marketing ploy to make more money and they know it makes no difference in the grand scheme of things.

Blair saw the opening and it's carried on since then.

It has very little to do with saving the planet tbh, it's a massive exercise in the redistribution of wealth, which the UN have actually admitted as well - so I can see why Scouse is such a fan.

However something somewhere has got very fucked up, as most of the subsisidies seem to be going to the already rich (getting subsidised by the Government to buy a Tesla - which starts at 50K, or the massive subsidies rich landowners get to install windmills on their land) - whereas the poor get fucked over with higher taxes and energy bills.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom