transfering stuff

Maljonic

Can't get enough of FH
So now I have to transfer my site from barrysworld http://www.maljonicsdreams.barrysworld.net/ to my btinternet web space http://www.jonathan.malory.btinternet.co.uk/ which I have mostly done after getting up early because I couldn't sleep thinking about it... My only problem it getting my message board to work, I copied all the files onto my bt site but I'm not sure what to do, thought it would be as simple as sticking phpbb2/index.php on the end of btinternet.co.uk but it isn't, please help. :)

fatbusinessman

Fledgling Freddie
I'm afraid I have some bad news for you. The phpBB software operates with a combination of PHP and a MySQL database, which is all well and good on the BW hosting. Unfortunately, BT Internet's hosting scheme doesn't give you access to either PHP scripts or a MySQL database. In fact, it doesn't even let you use your own custom Perl scripts, so basically any form of message board is going to choke and die on it.

So I'm afraid you're looking at getting some new hosting, for which you're probably going to have to pay cold, hard cash. Thankfully, phpBB offers a "backup your databse" function which allows you to get hold of your data from the BW space before it dies at the end of next month. Look for a "Backup" option in the Admin control panel, and save the resulting file along with your files, and your data should be safe while you go on a webspace search.

Lam

Fledgling Freddie
Your message board uses a database in which all the data is stored.

In order to get it to work you have to download your database and then create one with the same name on your new webspace and import all your data in the new database.

Most systems allow you to download the database in xls-files which you can then easily import using the phpMyAdmin tool.
Just make sure your new host supports php and sql databases of course.

Jonty

Fledgling Freddie
Hello Maljonic

PHPBB2 relies on two major things to work: the files on your webspace and your database. Usually transferring PHPBB2 can be a tricky business, but this is what you might want to do.

1. Transfer your PHPBB2 directory files from BarrysWorld to BT Internet, ensuring all the folders etc. remain in the right structure.
  2. Go to http://admin2.game.net/phpmyadmin/ and login using your FTP username and password.
  3. Click on the link with your database name in the left-hand column.
  4. Now in the right-hand page, click on the 'Export' tab.
  5. In the list of tables now shown, left click on the first one, scroll to the bottom and shift+left click the bottom entry (this selects all tables).
  6. Click on the 'Structure and Data' option and on the 'Save as file' option.
  7. Hit 'Go' and download the database file.
  8. If BT Internet provide a MySQL database, login to PHMyAdmin and import your database (click on the 'SQL' tab once logged in, and search for your database file using the 'Browse' button then hit 'Go').
  9. Finally, open a copy of the 'config.php' file in your PHPBB2 directory and make sure that any addresses relate to your BT Internet site, and that the database details are updated accordingly.
Keep in mind that this is a hard process, so don't worry if you find it complicated. You could, if all else fails, just install PHPBB2 afresh and forget about transferring everything.

Finally, if you need a MySQL database, then you can get one for free from <noname> sql (you can donate, of course, if you want to :)).

If you have any more questions just shout :)

Kind Regards

Edit - Oops, too late was the cry ;) If you need a new host, then FastHosts have a good reputation. Sorry if the above is misleading, I wasn't sure as to what BT offer in terms of their hosting service.

Maljonic

Can't get enough of FH
Thanks for the help, truly awful news though; I can't have a web site without a message board, which means my BT web space is usless! Oh well :(

Shovel

Can't get enough of FH
If you're after some affordable hosting, I'm going to shamelessly plug http://www.burtonhosting.co.uk - they host for me and FatBusinessman. If that isn't enough to make you buy, they also have tres excellent tech support, and it's only £40 a year.

We use it for Students' Social (kinda dead, but no matter), personal homepages and all my email now goes through it. It's a very thorough set up they have. I'm sure there are others in a similar price range too that others can recommend.

Maljonic

Can't get enough of FH
Cheers for the fasthosts link Jonty, they seem pretty cool; just have to wait for forty eight hours now for my new domain name to be registered, wasn't too painful really. Bet I'll be back with more questions on the above transfering data, sound like a headache to me. :)

fatbusinessman

Fledgling Freddie
Maljonic said:
...my BT web space is usless! Oh well :(
Yes, it is. I used them for a while before realising this.

I would join Ben in recommending Burton Hosting - I've also heard that a company called NeatHosting are very good as well, but that isn't from first-hand experience, it's from a friend of a friend.

Jonty

Fledgling Freddie
Hi Maljonic

I hope everything works out with your new host (*feels the pressure having recommended it before FBM and Shovel replied*). If you need any more help, please feel free to ask.

Kind Regards

Jonty

P.S. Fasthosts offer 24hr support, as well as a 30 day money-back guarantee, so everything should work out fine for you :)

Maljonic

Can't get enough of FH
They do seem pretty good so I'm not worried so far, plus I've got the domain name I wanted and they let me pay with my visa electron card, which is a relief because I don't have a credit card and that was one of the things that worried me. I've restored my bt site back to being a dump for crappy e-mailed office jokes and look forward to a happy weekend getting my message board to work with my new host, 500mb! :D

SheepCow

Bringer of Code
FastHosts are horrific for Windows-based machines, never looked at their Linux offerings.

Maljonic

Can't get enough of FH
Jonty said:
Keep in mind that this is a hard process, so don't worry if you find it complicated. You could, if all else fails, just install PHPBB2 afresh and forget about transferring everything.
I was just wondering where the files with all the posts and member details are, if it would be easier for me to start afresh then add these files in afterwards; or would that be just as difficult as what you described?

Shovel

Can't get enough of FH
The files will be stored in the mySQL database - the files for that will be elsewhere in the system, most likely out of your reach. Therefore you need to do the "Import/Export" routine described by Jonty :) Older boards - like YaBB - use files for data storage and can be backed up in a very direct, physical manner, but simply due to the added complexity of running through a database engine it is necessary to work this way.

fatbusinessman

Fledgling Freddie
The posts and member details aren't stored in files (at least, not files within your user directory). The best way to transfer things over, you're probably best off using the built-in PHPbb database backup and restore tools. In the "General Admin" section of the control panel, there are sections entitled "Backup Database" which will give you a file to download.

You can then setup PHPbb with the appropriate configuration on the new server and select "Restore database". Supply it with the file you got from backin up, and it should handle everything else automagically.

Afraid I can't really be more specific than that, as I don't have intimate knowledge of PHPbb, BW hosting, or FastHosts.

(Addendum: Jonty's method described above isn't specific to PHPbb - mine is. If you've got anything else database-driven on your site (and I'm guessing you haven't) then you'll need to use his method. If you haven't, then you can probably choose either, but I think the method I've explained is a little simpler.)

Maljonic

Can't get enough of FH
Cheers, I'm still waiting for my domain name to be properly registered; no doubt the Christmas holidays will slow that down some. I'm trying to get everything ready to go as soon as it becomes active. Are there any other free mysql around, the one mentioned by Jonty (noname) isn't accepting new accounts atm?

wyrd_fish

Fledgling Freddie
have you tried 34sp.com

i use them and they rock, there support is amasinly fast...

Maljonic

Can't get enough of FH
It's just the mysql bit I need sorting out, it's a bit confusing. I have a host already but I'm not sure how this sql stuff works; it says if I want to put mysql on my site it costs an extra 50 quid a year, or if I want microsoft version it's 250 quid a year. All way too much really.

Afx

Fledgling Freddie
Uhm then i'd say you've picked a bad host :p, Any semi decent php supporting host should come with sql included within the price.

Personally i use valuehost.co.uk and i havnt had a single problem, Very cheap too.

Maljonic

Can't get enough of FH
maybe but I want to stick with it now if I can, I need an externally hosted SQL database if there is one.

fatbusinessman

Fledgling Freddie
Maljonic said:
it says if I want to put mysql on my site it costs an extra 50 quid a year, or if I want microsoft version it's 250 quid a year. All way too much really.
Considering that Burton Hosting offers you a package including MySQL, this seems rather stupid. Tell them to shove it.

Jonty

Fledgling Freddie
Hi Maljonic

If you're not happy you can of course ask for your money back and go else where. If you want to stay, then I think I may be able to create an account for you at <noname> sql, despite it being closed to new signups. I'll make the relevant enquires today for you.

Kind Regards

Maljonic

Can't get enough of FH
wyrd_fish said:
don't worry about deleting stuff, its all old and usless
Oh right, that's why I said I'll wait to see if Jonty sorts something out first; before I go ahead and destroy your account :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom