transfering stuff

Jonty

Fledgling Freddie
Maljonic said:
Oh right, that's why I said I'll wait to see if Jonty sorts something out first; before I go ahead and destroy your account :)
Hi Maljonic

I haven't been able to get in touch with DBs today and I'd rather not create an account afresh before I know the whole picture with <noname> sql. I presume wyrd_fish has offered you use of his account? If so, and you're absolutely desperate, then use it if needs be. Otherwise I'll try and contact DBs again tomorrow and sort things out for you.

Kind Regards

Jonty

P.S. If you're not using your account and Maljonic gets his own, should I delete yours, wyrd_fish?

Maljonic

Can't get enough of FH
Jonty said:
Hi Maljonic

I haven't been able to get in touch with DBs today and I'd rather not create an account afresh before I know the whole picture with <noname> sql. I presume wyrd_fish has offered you use of his account? If so, and you're absolutely desperate, then use it if needs be. Otherwise I'll try and contact DBs again tomorrow and sort things out for you.

Kind Regards

Jonty

P.S. If you're not using your account and Maljonic gets his own, should I delete yours, wyrd_fish?
That'll be great, thanks; I think it was the nature of last week's shutdown announcement that's made everything seem like a panic. Though it does make me wonder, in a paranoid way, if someone at Game might say, 'sod it, can't be arsed to wait. Let's just pull the plug now.' :)

Jonty

Fledgling Freddie
Maljonic said:
Though it does make me wonder, in a paranoid way, if someone at Game might say, 'sod it, can't be arsed to wait. Let's just pull the plug now.' :)
hehe, don't worry, short of a hardware failure or something equally drastic, I believe GAME are at least bound by their word, if no legally, to honour the closure date given.

Kind Regards

wyrd_fish

Fledgling Freddie
Jonty said:
P.S. If you're not using your account and Maljonic gets his own, should I delete yours, wyrd_fish?{QUOTE]

knock your self out...

Jonty

Fledgling Freddie
wyrd_fish said:
knock your self out...
hehe, okay. Just helps to free up resources for the other things hosted on the servers, even if by only a small amount.

Kind Regards

Jonty

Fledgling Freddie
Hi Maljonic

It may be easiest if you use wyrd_fish's account for the time being (and thanks for the offer, wyrd_fish).

Kind Regards

Maljonic

Can't get enough of FH
Jonty said:
Hi Maljonic

It may be easiest if you use wyrd_fish's account for the time being (and thanks for the offer, wyrd_fish).

Kind Regards
Oh, okay then, thanks :)

Maljonic

Can't get enough of FH
Maljonic said:
Oh, okay then, thanks :)
Wyrd Fish's account didn't work, just says: The details of <noname> sql account have not been displayed due to an unknown system error (Critical Error x) Not sure what to do now :(

P.S. I did manage to download my database file though, so I'm halfway there.

wyrd_fish

Fledgling Freddie
how quere... (wheres me wash board)

the site running off it still works, so if you find a PHPMyAdmin that you can point at it, it should work...

Maljonic

Can't get enough of FH
wyrd_fish said:
how quere... (wheres me wash board)

the site running off it still works, so if you find a PHPMyAdmin that you can point at it, it should work...
Totally lost.

wyrd_fish

Fledgling Freddie
find a copy of PHPMyAdmin, that will let you chage local host to what ever it was i sent in the email under host

then use that to administer teh db..

there is another DB manager i used to have, called MySQL frontend or somthin, not a web app but a propper exe job...

Jonty

Fledgling Freddie
Thanks for the link, Imaboyo :) For any who may be interested, Mascon is another such utility for desktop database management that Deebs himself uses/used to use. It is available both to buy and as a free, advanced-features-locked, product.

Kind Regards

Maljonic

Can't get enough of FH
Does anyone know what this means/how to fix it?: Warning: mysql_error(): supplied argument is not a valid MySQL-Link resource in \\nas07ent\domains\m\maljonicsdreams.com\user\htdocs\phpBB2\db\mysql4.php on line 330

Warning: mysql_errno(): supplied argument is not a valid MySQL-Link resource in \\nas07ent\domains\m\maljonicsdreams.com\user\htdocs\phpBB2\db\mysql4.php on line 331
phpBB : Critical Error

Could not connect to the database

wyrd_fish

Fledgling Freddie
i get these all the time...

it means that a variable is not what it pretends to be

ie mysql_fetch_array($result) where $result is broke, it won't notice untill the fetch array command

so if your query is badly written or not there etc... also if it carn't connect to the db

you need to post you connection code here...

(did you use localhost as the host, you need to use the host i supplied you with..)

PS sorry, this is possibally the least coherent post ever

Maljonic

Can't get enough of FH
wyrd_fish said:
i get these all the time...

it means that a variable is not what it pretends to be

ie mysql_fetch_array($result) where $result is broke, it won't notice untill the fetch array command

so if your query is badly written or not there etc... also if it carn't connect to the db

you need to post you connection code here...

(did you use localhost as the host, you need to use the host i supplied you with..)

PS sorry, this is possibally the least coherent post ever
this is what I have in my phpbb2 config.php:
<?php

// phpBB 2.x auto-generated config file
// Do not change anything in this file!

$dbms = 'mysql4';

$dbhost = 'mysql01.teczone.net:4406';
$dbname = 'fs_wyrd_fish';
$dbuser = 'fs_wyrd_fish';
$dbpasswd = 'password';

$table_prefix = 'phpbb_';

define('PHPBB_INSTALLED', true);

?>

wyrd_fish

Fledgling Freddie
hummmm...

does your managment prog work (ie PHPMyAdmin or one of the others...)

it could be that teh servers down...

define('PHPBB_INSTALLED', true);
it could be that your host won't support global variables..

(that is a global isn't it???)

Maljonic

Can't get enough of FH
fatbusinessman said:
The posts and member details aren't stored in files (at least, not files within your user directory). The best way to transfer things over, you're probably best off using the built-in PHPbb database backup and restore tools. In the "General Admin" section of the control panel, there are sections entitled "Backup Database" which will give you a file to download.

You can then setup PHPbb with the appropriate configuration on the new server and select "Restore database". Supply it with the file you got from backin up, and it should handle everything else automagically.

Afraid I can't really be more specific than that, as I don't have intimate knowledge of PHPbb, BW hosting, or FastHosts.

(Addendum: Jonty's method described above isn't specific to PHPbb - mine is. If you've got anything else database-driven on your site (and I'm guessing you haven't) then you'll need to use his method. If you haven't, then you can probably choose either, but I think the method I've explained is a little simpler.)
Okay, I'm try to do it this way now. I've backed up my database but every time I try to restore, it uploads for a while then I get this: Fatal error: Maximum execution time of 30 seconds exceeded in \\nas07ent\domains\m\maljonicsdreams.com\user\htdocs\phpBB2\admin\admin_db_utilities.php on line 31 Any clues anyone?

Jonty

Fledgling Freddie
Hi Maljonic

I'm guessing the restoration process is timing out, a problem with larger backups. Are you dial-up, per chance?

Kind Regards

Maljonic

Can't get enough of FH
Jonty said:
Hi Maljonic

I'm guessing the restoration process is timing out, a problem with larger backups. Are you dial-up, per chance?

Kind Regards
no, adsl.

Scooba da Bass

Fledgling Freddie
Maljonic said:
Okay, I'm try to do it this way now. I've backed up my database but every time I try to restore, it uploads for a while then I get this: Fatal error: Maximum execution time of 30 seconds exceeded in \\nas07ent\domains\m\maljonicsdreams.com\user\htdocs\phpBB2\admin\admin_db_utilities.php on line 31 Any clues anyone?

That's a fairly standard problem with large backups. There are a bunch of scripts out there that get around the problem, if you can't find any, I'll dig up the one I used for a 150 mb sql import.

Deebs

Chief Arsewipe
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Still having probs with nnSQL ?

Maljonic

Can't get enough of FH
Scooba da Bass said:
That's a fairly standard problem with large backups. There are a bunch of scripts out there that get around the problem, if you can't find any, I'll dig up the one I used for a 150 mb sql import.
Yes please do that, plus explain what I must do with it too :)

Deadnala

Fledgling Freddie
Are you sure that you (mysql) host accept external connections? My host only accept localhost like most providers...

Deadnala

Fledgling Freddie
Another thing you can try...

print($query);

if you not familiar with mysql past the query in phpMyAdmin and run it, phpMyAdmin will say what is wrong, atleast more clear than php do ;)

Scooba da Bass

Fledgling Freddie
Maljonic said:
Yes please do that, plus explain what I must do with it too :)

http://www.ozerov.de/bigdump.php

The documentation is pretty straight forward, and once it's all in the same folder it's just a case of letting it do it's thing.

If you still get timeout errors (I wouldn't expect it, it only really gets into trouble when you get up to about 1 gig) you'll have to talk to the sql host about increasing the timeout value in my.ini.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom