Tonight's big match

E

Embattle

Originally posted by Tom[SHOTTEH]

Let's face it - who is responsible for player's wages? The player? Or the chairman? Who, ultimately, makes that decision? I don't blame any footballers for the money they receive, its there, they can get it, so good fucking luck to them.

Agents.

R

raw

Leeds and Chelsea are both very strapped for cash, Leeds the most commonly known but Chelsea aren't renewing contracts till after the Summer until they know how they placed in the prem at the end of the season.

Being a united supporter myself United made the best of both worlds, for years have had an excellent youth team and had a very british based squad which didn't cost an arm and a leg with the exception of a few euro players that didnt cost much, Cantona for 1 Mil anyone? (best buy for any club ever imo) until veron and nistlerooy, coupled with the fact we won everything in the last decade a lot more than once has left us financially sound.

Teams like Arsenal though as much as they don't let on aren't doing to well either, they have invested a lot of money in a new stadium based on Wengers confidence and their double last season which was a bit foolish given that its all falling appart now and could also find themselves struggling if they fail to win the prem and or FA cup this season.

As for last nights game, Off Side>Henry, Linesman=Arsenal Fan but still a point is good enough, the pressure is on Arsenal as were 3 points clear still so they HAVE to win their game in hand.

D

dysfunction

Thats why there should be a TV ref like they have in cricket.

If they are not going to do this then tough luck eh. Its all part of the game.

Its the end result that counts not what happened during the game.

M

mank!

Originally posted by dysfunction
Thats why there should be a TV ref like they have in cricket.

If they are not going to do this then tough luck eh. Its all part of the game.

Its the end result that counts not what happened during the game.

I think they should personally, it'd sort out a lot of the "did the ball cross the line?" issues too. It seems it's only the purists who dislike the idea.

N

nath

I respect Beckham for being a very very talented footballer. He also seems like a nice enough bloke (with poor taste in women). He is, however, a fucking major sell out. Sure if I was earning a reasonable wage then I'd do advertising etc. to get a bit more cash on. But given that he earns are rather large sum of money every week, I don't think he really needs to dress up like a cowboy and plaster his face all over pepsi cans. For me, that fucks up his integrity, and imo integrity is worth something.

X

Xtro

I dunno nath I bet a lot of women would pay to see you dress up like a cowboy ^^

P

PR.

Another thing to remember (and I agree that they shouldn't be paid so much) is that they won't play football until they're 65, so they need to make there money now so they can live comfortably in retirement, I mean can you see David Beckham fronting match of the day?

D

dysfunction

Originally posted by PR.
Another thing to remember (and I agree that they shouldn't be paid so much) is that they won't play football until they're 65, so they need to make there money now so they can live comfortably in retirement, I mean can you see David Beckham fronting match of the day?

Yes but a lot of them could just play 1 years football and be set for life!!!

I feel so sorry for them!

T

Tom

If you want to moan about obscene wages, look at actors, or F1 drivers, or even company directors. Top footballers earn about 5 million a year tops (when you add private sponsorship), M Schumacher made over 20 million last year.

S

S-Gray

Beckham aint that bad a guy i think, as a person not a player, its just that wife of his.. snotty cow.

He does a lot for charity, he doesnt ask for the publicity people give him, but he obviously wouldnt refuse it and why should he?

X

Xtro

I actually don't mind Beckham. He does indeed "seem" (as we won't ever really know) to be an ok bloke that likes to help out where he can...who just ended up with a domineering bullying little cow that is as posh as a white dogturd on a summer's day.

As for them being overpaid....yup I agree they are but then the whole shebang is out of hand imho, not just player's wages. Still, as SWFC slide to Divsion Two at least I'll be paying less on the gate...............:(

Y

~YuckFou~

If Beckham couldn't kick a ball he would be lucky to get a job at McDonalds.

E

Embattle

Originally posted by PR.

Yes I know, but its still way too much.

Originally posted by Tom[SHOTTEH]
If you want to moan about obscene wages, look at actors, or F1 drivers, or even company directors. Top footballers earn about 5 million a year tops (when you add private sponsorship), M Schumacher made over 20 million last year.

Agreed, it used to be more justified with f1 drivers because of the risk involved but soon they will be driving airbags round tracks ;)

BTW a good article on CEOs http://www.fortune.com/fortune/ceo/articles/0,15114,443051,00.html

K

Kempo

naths you'd turn down million pound contracts for integrity? dont be stupid.. no one in their right mind would, people need to stop being jealous of people doing well for themselves. If you want to moan about it, moan about the people who offer the stupid amounts of money, not the people who have the sense to accept it. Also footballers have a short career compared to most proffesions, so they need to make sure they have enough to live onces they stop playing.

N

nath

If I had as much money as Becks, I woudln't be doing stupid things like Pepsi ads.

Sure, given my crappy wage atm, I'd jump at the chace to dress up like a cowboy and get paid silly money to do it. If I was earning what Becks is, and was in the public eye like Becks is, I'd tell them to sod off.

Originally posted by Kempo
no one in their right mind would

Don't be silly, they do all the time.

E

Embattle

I personally didn't moan about the players, I just said they're not worth the money they get :)

Y

~YuckFou~

Originally posted by Kempo
naths you'd turn down million pound contracts for integrity?
Theres a thread somewhere about what we would do for money. I was deliberately and viciously mis-quoted I seem to remember :)
We are all hookers, it's just the rates that need to be negotiated.

I think I did it again :(

N

nath

When money is no object, which it clearly isn't for Beckham, then it's not about what you'll do for money, it's what you'll do for a little bit more. A couple o million squid for beckham is not a large sum of money which is why it's all the more lame that he sells his image so readily. It's not like he needs the cash. We obviously all do, that's the difference.

C

Clowneh!

its probably in the contract he signed when he let pepsi/adidas/blahblah sponsor him tho right?

A

Ash!

Originally posted by dysfunction
Hey Well done with that prediction!!

You win.....a do as you please night with Wij!

Have fun!!
Is Wij a bird-bloke or Shim

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom