Time Travel

W

Wij

Originally posted by DaGaffer
You wouldn't go back to an alternative timeline, you'd go back to your timeline but as soon as you arrived you would (by the act of arriving) create a new timeline that 'branches off' from the original. The theory goes that this is happening all the time as observers (you and me) collapse probability wave states.

That's what I said :eek:

Actually I covered that possibility as well as the theory that time travel takes you back to a different timeline. No matter which is more likely thay both get round the grandfather paradox.

S

Sibanac

May i suggest if this type of thing intrests you, try to get your hands on : Stephen Hawking's 'The Universe in a Nutshell'.

Excelent read for us mere mortals, understandble and has pretty pictures ;)

F

Furr

This still all asumes that there is such a thing as a timeline , but there really is no evidence or even much logic in saying that the past still exists in some way so that you can go back and visit it. To go back in time would mean that you were reverting the state of the present to that of an earlier point. Which is very improbable to do.

N

Neural Network

Is it true in modern science you have time and space on the same axis and events on another?

D

dysfunction

How can you have time and space on the same axis? They are two different units of measurement

F

Farsight

So... if the speed of light is constant, and relative to the speed that you are going at, then it follows that the speed of light is actually completely subjective,as it is different for everyone.

And if the speed of light is subjective, yet is constant, that must mean that time is also completely subjective.

Therefore, time is different for all, which must mean that time is created in the mind, rather than being an actual "thing".

Ok, Im happy, time doesnt exist. Lovely :)

W

Wij

The speed of light isn't relative to the speed you are travelling at. Time is. :)

And time is real. It's just different from different perspectives :)

P

Panda On Smack

time doesn't exist as something you go and visit, its just a measurement.

F

Farsight

Really, thanks and all, but I was happy with my theory.

The non-existence of time gives me an excuse to be late for work in the morning :)

D

dysfunction

Originally posted by Panda On Smack
time doesn't exist as something you go and visit, its just a measurement.

But but Ive been to Greenwich!!

P

PR.

I was watching QI on BBC4 and they had a questions that said that Scientists had found out that Light doesn't travel at the same speed all the time when shone through Diamond light was measured to be travelling at 27mph. In actual fact Alan Davis answered the question with the normal answer that its constant at xxthousands of mph and it was wrong.

W

Wij

OK - that light is travelling at less than "the speed of light" but that doesn't mean that "the speed of light" has changed.

F

FatBusinessman

Scrictly speaking, the constant c is "the speed of light in a vacuum".

(And if anyone starts making Dyson jokes, I'll bloody kill you :eek: )

T

Testin da Cable

how about a hoover joke then?

:eek:oherrsorry:

G

Gumbo

Surely it might be possible to go faster than the speed of light without travelling in time, all that you are travelling faster than is the images....

So, if time travel is just an ocular experience then going faster than light to time travel would be impossible, but if it's more than just what you see....

Oh fuck it, I'm confused now, but someone might have understood what I'm getting at. If you have, please explain it to me.

B

Big G

isn't it something like, you can't travel at the speed of light because mass becomes infinite? it takes infinite energy to reach the speed of light.

... or something ...

G

M

Munkey-

I dont think many, or even any, will be throwing pebbles in the ocean anytime soon

A

Any

Originally posted by Big G
isn't it something like, you can't travel at the speed of light because mass becomes infinite? it takes infinite energy to reach the speed of light.

... or something ...

G

No. Mass always stays the same.

F

FatBusinessman

Your mass stays the same, it's just that space-time distorts in weird and wonderful ways, causing you to require an infinite amount of work to reach light-speed.

S

Sir Frizz

Can someone explain to me why a black hole can bend light? I realise that a black hole has immense gravity, but i'd imagine light has no mass, and as a result, should be unaffected.

Buhhuh?

B

Big G

Originally posted by Any
No. Mass always stays the same.

I am confuzzled, so i've done a google on the subject and found this which talks about infinite mass being reached close to the speed of light?

tbh, i don't know much about it - i won't be travelling at the speed of light for a while ;)

G

R

Rubber Bullets

tbh, i don't know much about it - i won't be travelling at the speed of light for a while ;)

G

You see, that sort of lack of ambition is the main reason there isn't a restaurant on the moon yet.

RB

K

Krazeh

I am confuzzled, so i've done a google on the subject and found this which talks about infinite mass being reached close to the speed of light?

G

As objects move faster they get heavier, until they become infinitely heavy at the speed of light

N

Neural Network

Now to something completely different: How about the speed of gravity?

W

Will

Originally posted by Sir Frizz
Can someone explain to me why a black hole can bend light? I realise that a black hole has immense gravity, but i'd imagine light has no mass, and as a result, should be unaffected.

Buhhuh?
Welcome to wave/particle duality. Its really really complicated.

Users who are viewing this thread