Time Travel

S

Sharma

Originally posted by Flamin_Squirrel
Time isnt constant. The faster you go, the faster time passes.

Slower. :)

If you travelled to Alpha centuri and back at the speed of light and had a twin bro, you would only experiance a few years whereas your brother would experiance maybe 50..

F

Flamin_Squirrel

I ment the faster time occurs around you, so samething, if u get me..... my bad :p

T

tris-

well einstein said u can never go the same speed of light, if u traveld at 186,000 mph (speed of light), light would still be traveling that much faster. stephen hawkings says we are just remembering the future. i dont think you can travel through time or go the speed of light. i would say the only way you can feel like you have traveld through time is to actually slow time down for your self and everything around you would still be moving at the same speed giving the illusion that your are moving quickly, or moving through time faster than everyone else.
maybe you think im talkin shit, ah well whats new? ;)

C

Cyfr

Like Sharma says, if you traveled to some star at 95% speed of light, then returned to earth, you would have aged 10 years people on earth say 32 :)

Time slows down as you go fast

Someone went into space and is like half a second older/younger then the rest of us, I read somewhere :p

K

Krazeh

Originally posted by tris-
well einstein said u can never go the same speed of light, if u traveld at 186,000 mph (speed of light), light would still be traveling that much faster. stephen hawkings says we are just remembering the future. i dont think you can travel through time or go the speed of light. i would say the only way you can feel like you have traveld through time is to actually slow time down for your self and everything around you would still be moving at the same speed giving the illusion that your are moving quickly, or moving through time faster than everyone else.
maybe you think im talkin shit, ah well whats new? ;)

what? The speed of light is constant, it doesn't start goin faster cos ur nearly as fast as it

M

mr.Blacky

Originally posted by Sharma
shall i be the first to quote:

E=MC²

That alone explains why you cant go at the speed of light, the amount of Joules needed to move about 1 gram of mass to the speed of light is so large its next to impossible to muster it in one single instant.
Ah but that doesnt mean we can't cheat ;) meaning pulling two parts of the universe together and pinching a hole between places... or using worm holes if they exist :)

F

Furr

This all assumes the way in which we consider time as we have come to realise it. We consider time as linear in which events are placed along it so that your time travel is based on that to back or foward in time is to move freely along this line.
But in my opinion time is much more complicated than this . To me time is more likely to be more like a one way street in which events in the present are the forms of the past in a changing state. So that the past no longer exists as it has formed our present. Although it may be possible to travel foward faster relative to the change in time as we percieve it. However we could not *hop* back to the orginal present state you left

F

Farsight

Hmm, Furr, that would mean a constant "now".

In which case, time itself is a man-made illusion in order to organise ourselves?

F

FatBusinessman

Originally posted by Krazeh
what? The speed of light is constant, it doesn't start goin faster cos ur nearly as fast as it
Yes. However, whatever speed you are travelling at, light is always moving at 300 million metres per second relative to you. I don't pretend to exactly understand it myself, but one of the postulates of relativity is that "the speed of light is the same in all frames of reference".

F

Furr

Originally posted by Farsight

In which case, time itself is a man-made illusion in order to organise ourselves?

in some ways that has been said before, that we merely created time to better understand events that are happening and the periods between them. As this is a logical conclusion that a certain amount of a value has passed as we can measure and notice this passing of the value as it increases.
anyway i came up with a flaw in what i thought up. that this would mean that time other than at present would not exist. However time has properties as well . In the way that time itself is not a constant and can slowed the faster you are travelling , as well as time slowing due to a black hole.This means that time would have a margin of existence in where there would be time which was in the past or the future relative to each over.
I dunno ive always thought about this kinda thing but i need to delve a bit more into it before i start making up stuff.

P

Panda On Smack

At the end of the days its all theory and you can talk about it forever, but what you can't do is say for certain what will and will not happen because we simply don't know.

S

sad_mung

I read a sci fi book which had an interesting proposition.

You take a fast ship and a worm hole.
One end of the worm hole is on the ship, the other is anchored locally.

The ship then heads of as fast as it can go around the galaxy then heads back home.

Now because of relativity something or other happens with the ends of the wormhole.
I can't remember what, and my head hurts just thinking about it.
So you lot theorise about it if you will.

S

Stazbumpa

I've got 2 sheds in my back garden now :)

None of them are cabable of time travel though, so I suppose I shouldn't really have posted this.

T

Tom

Just remember that:

1. We don't know everything, in fact we're infants in this universe

2. People have said the same about virtually everything that can now be done with ease, in the past

3. OMG I just agreed with Clowneh

W

Wij

1.) The speed of light is the same no matter what speed you are travelling at. Even if you are travelling at 95% of the speed of light, light can still move away from you at 100% of the speed of light relative-to-you.

2.) This does not mean that anything is travelling 195% of the speed of light or anything over it. Remember time slows the faster you go so other objects move faster from your point of view. No point of view is actually correct though, they are all as valid as each other.

3.) However... There is nothing in relativity theory that actually forbids travelling faster than light, only accelerating an object from sub-light to faster-than-light is forbidden. This leaves the possibility that an object could be created travelling faster than light. A tachyon.

Read 'About Time' by Paul Davies if you're interested.

A

Ash!

I agree with Clowneh as well.

Wasnt it said that the world was flat and the centre of the Universe a few hundred years ago ? Everyone believed that theory of course. Surely it is plausible to believe that Einsteins theory of special relativity could be disproved. Bearing in mind that the whole theaory and E=MC2 is oftern misquoted.

On this theme, assuming if it was possible to travel in time, where would you goto ?

W

Wij

Originally posted by Ash!
On this theme, assuming if it was possible to travel in time, where would you goto ?

(Well, if you're going to persist with your silliness...)

YOUR MOMMA

I

Insane

Originally posted by DaGaffer
everyone knows this - the light goes all streaky past you (at least it did last time I did the kessel run in under 5 parsecs), then it goes plaid.

did anyone else pick up a reference to a movie in that quote? :eek6:

"use the shwartz"

:)

W

Wij

Originally posted by Insane
did anyone else pick up a reference to a movie in that quote? :eek6:

"use the shwartz"

:)

Yeh yeh - Spaceballs.

I

Insane

thank **** for that, i thought i was loosing it again!

(the thread, not my mind.. its already gone :eek: )

I agree in regards the Grandfather Paradox problem, you wouldn't be able to do anything without destroying part or all of your reality in an instant.

who knows, maybe the reason we cant time travel is because we're all part of a construct powering robots :eek6:

i really should stop watching so many movies :(

W

Wij

The grandfather paradox is not a paradox at all. If indeed you could go back in time, to the SAME timeline you came from and your actions were to carry on in the SAME timeline then you simply couldn't kill your grandfather, no matter how much you wanted to. It's just a point of logic not physics. If however any of the preceding conditions were not true and you were in a different timeline then you could kill 'your grandfather' IF you could travel in 'time'. However this is slightly different to killing your own actual grandfather and stopping your future.

No paradox.

Move along.

T

Testin da Cable

Originally posted by Wij
<wijlet aer the brainz!!>

nice. lightspeed is a constant relative to all povs. but wait! is you get yourself up to 99% ls and activate a laser wouldn't you be creating instant tachyons or something? do explain; I'm half asleep!

W

Wij

Originally posted by Testin da Cable
nice. lightspeed is a constant relative to all povs. but wait! is you get yourself up to 99% ls and activate a laser wouldn't you be creating instant tachyons or something? do explain; I'm half asleep!

No. The laser would move away from you at the speed of light but again time would be distorted relatively between you and the laser to make up for it. Remember speed = distance / time. From noone's point of view would anything be travelling faster than light.

I

Insane

Originally posted by Wij
*insert Wij's explanation here*

so in reference, you could go "back" in time to an alternative timeline (essencially similar to 'Sliders') and do stuff without direct infuence of your own timeline?

i wonder if tatu* are still fit in the other timelines :D

*insert with other fit birds if neccessary

T

Testin da Cable

Originally posted by Wij
No. The laser would move away from you at the speed of light but again time would be distorted relatively between you and the laser to make up for it. Remember speed = distance / time. From noone's point of view would anything be travelling faster than light.

aha, thus were I to move at 299999m/s2 holding a laser and someone were to watch me (let's assume this is possible for a sec heh), then they'd see me moving very quickly holding a stick emitting light that was also moving very quickly, not a stream of tachyons. ok I'm more awake now.

also: it's because of the problem of time distorting that we can't create a tachyon yet, is that correct? must read that book you mentioned.

W

Wij

Originally posted by Testin da Cable
also: it's because of the problem of time distorting that we can't create a tachyon yet, is that correct? must read that book you mentioned.

No, it's because no known physical process creates particles that travel faster than light. A laser creates light at the speed of light as do other lights. It makes no difference what speed that laser or other source is travelling at.

D

DaGaffer

You wouldn't go back to an alternative timeline, you'd go back to your timeline but as soon as you arrived you would (by the act of arriving) create a new timeline that 'branches off' from the original. The theory goes that this is happening all the time as observers (you and me) collapse probability wave states.

T

Testin da Cable

hmm, I was dredging up some info on particle accellerators I'd been reading, but I'm too distracted by my performance stuff I'm doing. you'll have to wait :)

Users who are viewing this thread