Time Travel

C

Cyfr

Cyfrexplainstimetravel.bmp

If one could travel at the speed of light I believe you would see a still image, now if you travel faster then the speed of light, you would see images from the past, time travel.

What are your theorys/beliefs?

W

Will

Originally posted by Cyfr
<poor image>

If one could travel at the speed of light I believe you would see a still image, now if you travel faster then the speed of light, you would see images from the past, time travel.

What are your theorys/beliefs?
You would see images from the past, but only because the image is travelling at the speed of light, so you are overtaking the light of the past image.

But you can't travel faster than light, since your mass would be infinite.

E

Ekydus

Technically, if you are travelling faster than the speed of light, wouldn't you see nothing, purely because of the single fact that you are travelling faster than light, meaning; no light?

S

Sir Frizz

Re: Re: Time Travel

Originally posted by Will

That doesn't sound plausible. Light isn't instantaneus, because if it was, it would be able to reach from the far end of the galaxy the the other within an instant.

Thus your mass couldn't be infinite.

W

Will

Sorry, but the cludge of a theory that is special relativity says otherwise. I think general relativity says the same thing, but its far too complicated for me to have studied.

K

Krazeh

Not entirely true, you can't travel faster than light locally as you'd face the problems of infinite mass, time dilation etc etc. However you could travel faster than light globally while travelling at a vey slow speed locally.

Or to put it another way, think of a surfer. In regards to the wave he's travelling on he's not moving very fast, but in relation to where he started and the beach he's moving at quite a speed.

C

Cyfr

You would see images from the past, but only because the image is travelling at the speed of light, so you are overtaking the light of the past image.

I said ''If one COULD travel..'

L

leggy

Re: Re: Re: Time Travel

Originally posted by Cyfr
I said ''If one COULD travel..'

I'm saying fuck off and stop talking shit.

In the nicest way possible. Will is right btw. There is no if, if it's impossible.

D

Deadmanwalking

Originally posted by Ekydus
Technically, if you are travelling faster than the speed of light, wouldn't you see nothing, purely because of the single fact that you are travelling faster than light, meaning; no light?

Erm, and the light that had left before you ?

C

Cyfr

Originally posted by Ekydus

The light that was here last week, month, year?

F

FatBusinessman

I'm sure if you went through the various relativistic formulae plugging in a speed higher than that of light, you would get some rather interesting behaviour. However, as has been repeatedly pointed out, physics has gone to seemingly extravagant lengths to prevent you ever getting that fast, (in any frame of reference, for Krazeh's information).

M

Munkey-

Originally posted by Deadmanwalking
Erm, and the light that had left before you ?

Would be quite interesting to get to the point where light has yet to reach. Wait there and then see all the lights appearing (e.g. edge of universe?)

I think it would be anyway

F

FatBusinessman

It would probably be rather boring, actually, seeing as you'd probably only get one star "appearing" every thousand years or so...

M

mr.Blacky

Tbh that is not possible because that would mean you would go further then the light/energy from the big bang, meaning you would not be in the universe. Or something :(

F

FatBusinessman

Yes, but since this thread is grounded firmly in hypothesis, then I expect we can suspend a certain amount of disbelief...

T

Tom

You wouldn't be able to see anything of what we call light, however, as you accelerate to the speed of light, you might be able to perceive some of the lower end of the electromagnetic spectrum.

Its called doppler effect.

M

Mr^B

It would be like watching repeats of news programs.

You could see it, but couldn't influence it, therefore NOT time-travel. Or if it is, then it's a pretty poor version where you have no influence over past events. What has happened stays happened.

D

Durzel

An interesting subject.

I'm of the opinion that even if it were possible to travel faster than light, you would (in the crudest sense) not revisit past events.

Assuming for a moment that it were somehow possible to travel back in time, any interaction (even existence), no matter how small/insignificant, with past events would cause a cataclysmic chain reaction of events. The classic "butterfly effect" in Chaos Theory.

Travelling into the future - of course - would be entirely possible given the future is written/influenced by the present/past.

All imo of course...

E

evilmonkeh

you wouldnt get anywhere without a flux capacitor.
but time travel is impossible.
no mater how you say it, we have no controll over time. time continues at a constant rate, what ever we do.

C

Clowneh!

BLAH BLAH BLAH.

It's impossible with the laws of physics as we know it. It was impossible. Man wouldn't walk on the moon. It's impossible. Even flying was thought of to be impossible.

BLAH BLAH BLAH.

D

DaGaffer

everyone knows this - the light goes all streaky past you (at least it did last time I did the kessel run in under 5 parsecs), then it goes plaid.

D

Durzel

Originally posted by Tom
Clowneh making an intelligent post is impossible.
It would seem so wouldn't it.

As I said previously, even if it were possible using some form of technology - any interaction with the past would alter the future (ergo the present from which time travel was initiated) and in most cases create a paradox.

An interesting read..
The biggest problem with time travel is that it leads to physical paradoxes, to contradictions in the fabric of reality. The major example being the Grandfather Paradox, which is about travelling into the past and smothering your grandfather in his cradle. This results in you never being born and so never travelling back to kill him. Therefore you are born and do kill him. If you kill him then you don't. Thus he is both dead and alive. Changing the past is full of Grandfather paradoxes. Seeing the future and then changing the present is just as bad. If one travels to the future, or sees in the future that a big war is coming, so you return to the present to prevent it. Thus the war never happens, so there was no evidence of war for your earlier self to find. When he appears, he finds nothing and gives no warning, so the war does happen. Another Grandfather paradox.

D

DaGaffer

Originally posted by Durzel
It would seem so wouldn't it.

As I said previously, even if it were possible using some form of technology - any interaction with the past would alter the future (ergo the present from which time travel was initiated) and in most cases create a paradox.

An interesting read..

Or maybe not. You may just end up in an alternate universe according to Hawking.

S

Sharma

shall i be the first to quote:

E=MC²

That alone explains why you cant go at the speed of light, the amount of Joules needed to move about 1 gram of mass to the speed of light is so large its next to impossible to muster it in one single instant.

C

Clowneh!

OMG IT WUZ RITTAN IN STOAN SO IT MST B RITE!!

Anyway...
Originally posted by Tom
Clowneh making an intelligent post is impossible.
So..

Gr8 m8.

G

GDW

You have to admit though you arent very intelligent:p

F

Flamin_Squirrel

Originally posted by evilmonkeh
you wouldnt get anywhere without a flux capacitor.
but time travel is impossible.
no mater how you say it, we have no controll over time. time continues at a constant rate, what ever we do.

Time isnt constant. The faster you go, the faster time passes.

E=MC^2 (Energy = Mass x speed of light ^2) says how much energy is in matter, not how much energy u need to get to the speed of light.

R

Rubber Bullets

Originally posted by Flamin_Squirrel
Time isnt constant. The faster you go, the faster time passes.

This would seem to be true, from my own experiments.

The faster I drive, the sooner I get places.

RB

Users who are viewing this thread