Games Time to pop my cherry?

Thadius

Part of the furniture
And buy an Xbox?

I was never keen on the controller for the Xbox and as a firm supporter of Sony, I always felt dirty playing one.

NOw Im looking into buying a next gen console, and after reading some of the reviews on here, the PS3 doesnt sound that good.

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
thad, they both have their advantages. The ps3 has matured since it launched and actually has some good games now.

The 360 wins hands down for games available, but as a media machine it is no where near the capabilities of the 360. The ps3 is also a blu ray player, and a fantastic dvd player and Cd player. If you have a HD ready TV and a good sound system, you could replace your current DVD and CD player with it.

Online the 360 is far better, however xbox live costs £40 a year, ps3 online play is free.

What games are you looking to play? What do your friends own? Do you have a HDTV, are you interested in blu-rays or upscaled DVD's? Would you be using it as a media centre?

Sparx

Cheeky Fucknugget
Definately both have their advantages. PS3 will probably last a good few years longer than 360 due to hardware. Unchartered 2 looks amazing so more potential for better looking games tho not many doing them yet.

PSN is free but xbox live is much better.

PS3 is quieter though i personally have never had a problem eith 360, its not louder than a PC.

People say the media centre is better on PS3, i have windows media centre setup on my 360 linking to windows 7 which works a charm for me.

Personally i would go for whatever most of your mates are on, all of my mates bar 3 or 4 have 360s and we play in full rooms near enough everynight with each other on MW2

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Most major games titles are cross platform these days. Things to choose list should be as follows imho:

Most mates have a? - Multiplayer is huge part of current gen consoles
Do I want a bluray player? - Obvious choice
Which platform has the exclusive titles that I want to play? - No point buying PS3 if you love Gears of War & Halo

Oh, live is cheaper than £40 atm I think there's a deal on.

Sparx

Cheeky Fucknugget
Like G Said most of the best games these days are cross platform, if you prefer jrpgs and GT go PS3, if you prefer Halos and Gears etc go 360.
I personally prefer the 360 exclusives, i never liked jrps etc, mainly cause im not very good at them, and if i wanted to watch the FMVs i would watch a Lady Gaga video.

Uncharted 2 though makes me want a PS3

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
To put noise in to perspective. Yes a 360 is no louder than a PC. My ps3 is quiter than a sky box or my v+ box. If you are into A/V then this is a big issue.

ST^

Can't get enough of FH
I would base my decision on the games available. So tell us what some of your favourite console games are.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
A PC is as loud as your case/cooling. mine is whisper quiet, quieter than a 360 anyway.

Opting for a PS3 myself as said in the other thread. though if I didn't have a decent PC I think I would be tempted by a 360 instead. Blue ray and all the other gubbins that it has, I-player etc wins it for me.

Sparx

Cheeky Fucknugget
iplayer is great, i would love to have it on my 360, even though my laptop is hooked up to the same TV would just be nice

Sky player is on 360 though which is great

megadave

I am a FH squatter
The room you can sit in with your mates on SkyPlayer made me lol but for me both SkyPlayer and iPlayer are no more than gimmicks since i have a PC connected to the TV.

Is there really much seperating them in regards to exclusives? Halo is beyond dire as game in comparison to what else is on the market. The only other xbox game i can think of is Gears of War?

MYstIC G

Staff member
FH Subscriber
If you've got unlimited broadband or multiroom, otherwise its £9.95 a month

Thadius

Part of the furniture
I like things like grand theft auto, final fantasy series and resident evil type games.

My mates dont have any of the consoles i dont think

Jeros

Part of the furniture
Buy a wii so that nintendo can continue to take abuse form all angles yet still sell enough stuff to buy a small country and piss of the Xbox and PS3 owners.

Yes brain trainer sold more than your generic console fps, suck it :D

Yaka

Part of the furniture
A PC is as loud as your case/cooling. mine is whisper quiet, quieter than a 360 anyway.

true this, my current pc is much quiter than the 360, previous pc was much louder.

Wonk

Can't get enough of FH
I like things like grand theft auto, final fantasy series and resident evil type games.

SF4
2 Arcade sticks
1 Console

ECA

I am a FH squatter
Buy a wii so that nintendo can continue to take abuse form all angles yet still sell enough stuff to buy a small country and piss of the Xbox and PS3 owners.

Yes brain trainer sold more than your generic console fps, suck it :D

My 62 year old mother just bought a Wii.
/endthread.

old.user4556

Has a sexy sister. I am also a Bodhi wannabee.
My 62 year old mother just bought a Wii.
/endthread.

Agreed.

Biggest selling car of all time? Toyota Corolla - boring, ugly, bought by safe old people, crap to drive and by no means the best car in the world - popular indeed, but rubbish.

Aada

Part of the furniture

Well both consoles have all 3 of those games mentioned are now on both consoles.

Aada

Part of the furniture
LIVE is great thou people say the PSN has caught up but I've just been on it and it's still very bland and old looking.

LIVE makes you feel connected all the time with your friends popping up and inside xbox etc and is well worth the £5 a month which I never notice going out.

Also every week you get Arcade games and some of them have been stunning this year Shadow Complex to name one was reviewed very well.

Their movie service is also tons better with instant 1080p streaming.

Also Facebook, lastfm and Twitter make the 360's online service unbeatable in my opinion.

Every year their is a major update to the service which adds new stuff to it which make it even better.

Aada

Part of the furniture
You voice that as if it's some sort of exclusive functionality.

I voice that as it's not on the PS3 you simpleton.

I should have known someone like you would come along and suggest it was something else.

ST^

Can't get enough of FH
I voice that as it's not on the PS3 you simpleton.

I should have known someone like you would come along and suggest it was something else.

PS3 has been able to use Facebook and Twitter since the day it was released.

old.user4556

Has a sexy sister. I am also a Bodhi wannabee.
Aada, seriously. Get help - "someone like me" - what the fuck are you talking about?

I'm only pointing out that these are not unique to the 360; such functionality exists on mobile phones and through the PS3's web browser so I don't understand why you're trumpeting it.

Anyway, I'm not going to get involved in your corrosive infantile insult throwing, so I'm going to put you on ignore indefinitely.

PS3 has been able to use Facebook and Twitter since the day it was released.

Indeed :).

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
LIVE makes you feel connected all the time with your friends popping up and inside xbox etc and is well worth the £5 a month which I never notice going out.

£5 a month for what now? You mean you actually give MS more than the £40 a year for Live for something?

Thadius

Part of the furniture
My mam says she will get me a console for christmas, so I have to decide between a ps3 or a xbox :(

Aada

Part of the furniture
Aada, seriously. Get help - "someone like me" - what the fuck are you talking about?

I'm only pointing out that these are not unique to the 360; such functionality exists on mobile phones and through the PS3's web browser so I don't understand why you're trumpeting it.

Anyway, I'm not going to get involved in your corrosive infantile insult throwing, so I'm going to put you on ignore indefinitely.

Indeed :).

but the web browser on the PS3 is dire MS & facebook have built a version for the 360 and it's pretty good.

At the end of the day it comes down to this: 360 has an amazing list of AAA titles to choose from and has an incredible online service.

The PS3 is catching up on the games but it's still some way behind having a good catalogue of games to choose from. Yes the PS3 has blu ray but blu ray players are becoming cheaper and cheaper so don't use that as a reason to buy one.

Thad you mentioned you like GTA? Well the 360 has by far the best version with both expansion packs exclusive to the 360.

MYstIC G

Staff member
FH Subscriber
It's not and never will be worth £5 a month, that's £60 a year and was enough for me to tell sky to fuck off about there broadband service and would stop me from ever renewing live.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom