Threads about freeshards

Status
Not open for further replies.

tris-

Failed Geordie and Parmothief
where does sense of achievement come into a virtual world?

dude, you either play it or dont. eitherway you havent achieved shit.

eggy

Fledgling Freddie
tris- said:
where does sense of achievement come into a virtual world?

dude, you either play it or dont. eitherway you havent achieved shit.

If you take the game as seriously as a lot of the people that play it do, then there is indeed a sense of achievement in how you play the game.

I wouldn't play a char that I didn't make myself, for example. It's a pretty clear trend; eBayers don't stick with a char...they swap hands over and over again, because if you haven't made it yourself...it just ain't the same ;)

tris-

Failed Geordie and Parmothief
thats fair enough then.

but if other people arnt concerned with feeling a sense of achievement it really is no ones business.

GReaper

Part of the furniture
Regardless of the legality of any free shard, it's fair to say that threads regarding them shouldn't belong here.

This is a community for GOA's DAoC servers, not free shards. Those using free servers take away little parts of the community from everyone else. A player who might consider paying for an extra month for old times sake might end up playing a free server instead. A smaller playerbase isn't as appealing to anyone, especially if the RvR active people want to try and move all the action to other servers.

rynnor

Rockhound
Ctuchik said:
and have u seen that alot latly? the admins blocked those adverts a few weeks ago.......

argument sunk even before u posted it ;)

Nice try but they can only report individual sites to be blocked after the fact - they have not in fact blocked this type of advert because you cant if you use google ads - expect to see more.

rynnor

Rockhound
tris- said:
also isnt there a minimum age for accepting a contract? im pretty sure if you are between 13-18 you have to present the contract to a parent/guardian so they can accept it on your behalf.

in which case, im sure no one here would of done that. therfore making the contract null?

Its probably voidable - under 18 contracts are only enforceable if the contract was to provide something in the childs interest - I doubt daoc would be covered by that ;)

rynnor

Rockhound
GReaper said:
Regardless of the legality of any free shard, it's fair to say that threads regarding them shouldn't belong here.

This is a community for GOA's DAoC servers, not free shards. Those using free servers take away little parts of the community from everyone else. A player who might consider paying for an extra month for old times sake might end up playing a free server instead. A smaller playerbase isn't as appealing to anyone, especially if the RvR active people want to try and move all the action to other servers.

If you forbid something you only make it more appealing - plus these arent GOA's boards - they closed those long ago - it just happens that most folk headed over to Barrysworld/Freddys afterwards.

Its all rather silly of the fanboi's to argue this since I think an actual discussion of what freeshards are like is probably more likely to put people off - you arent doing GOA any favours.

Thadius

Part of the furniture
rynnor said:
If you forbid something you only make it more appealing - plus these arent GOA's boards - they closed those long ago - it just happens that most folk headed over to Barrysworld/Freddys afterwards.

Its all rather silly of the fanboi's to argue this since I think an actual discussion of what freeshards are like is probably more likely to put people off - you arent doing GOA any favours.

True, if GOA contributing funds to this forum then yes, I would expect to see threads about freeshards closed

However, as far as I know, GOA dont do this

rynnor

Rockhound
eggy said:
If you take the game as seriously as a lot of the people that play it do, then there is indeed a sense of achievement in how you play the game.

I wouldn't play a char that I didn't make myself, for example. It's a pretty clear trend; eBayers don't stick with a char...they swap hands over and over again, because if you haven't made it yourself...it just ain't the same ;)

Theres a sense of achievement in your first 50 but by your 6th? If freeshards avoid that grind when you fancy trying out a different char/realm then I think Mythic could take notes although free instant 50's would screw the game.

How about 10 levels per month that you can distribute amongst your chars as you wish - would take you a while to make a 50 still but you wouldnt have to grind.

Thadius

Part of the furniture
rynnor said:
Theres a sense of achievement in your first 50 but by your 6th? If freeshards avoid that grind when you fancy trying out a different char/realm then I think Mythic could take notes although free instant 50's would screw the game.

How about 10 levels per month that you can distribute amongst your chars as you wish - would take you a while to make a 50 still but you wouldnt have to grind.

Agreed, I lost my interest after my second ml10 character. On my 5 maybe 6th level 50 now and Im bored as hell. Why pay for a service you dont enjoy?

Freeshards however, offer me the chance to pop on maybe once or twice a month to get a mini fix, rather than forking out a months subs for maybe 1-2 hours gametime

rampant

Can't get enough of FH
eggy said:
The sort of people who play on Freeshards (in my experience) are they same sort of people who buy and sell accounts.

i.e. those people who put minimal effort into a character themselves, or take up that character after the hard work has been done. Thus getting bored with the char after a million rps or so, selling, moving on, scamming etc.

Playing on Freeshards is like eBay, but free. Very little effort, very little sense of achievement. I'll bet a nickel that a large proportion of people who have moved from paying servers to Freeshards have bought/sold accounts, scammed/been scammed etc.

At least that's my perspective.

i think u are generalising too much .......

fl3a

Can't get enough of FH
eggy said:
The sort of people who play on Freeshards (in my experience) are they same sort of people who buy and sell accounts.

i.e. those people who put minimal effort into a character themselves, or take up that character after the hard work has been done. Thus getting bored with the char after a million rps or so, selling, moving on, scamming etc.

Playing on Freeshards is like eBay, but free. Very little effort, very little sense of achievement. I'll bet a nickel that a large proportion of people who have moved from paying servers to Freeshards have bought/sold accounts, scammed/been scammed etc.

read my post.

Misleath

Fledgling Freddie
eggy said:

Seems like you have no clue who plays there, imo thobhihonst.

Tafaya Anathas

Fledgling Freddie
Morchaoron said:
so they can h4x without getting banned?
and even if they get banned, they dont have to buy a new box!

Or freeshards give you things like OF which is wanted back by about 50% of the players?

Edit: According to a poll on the forum the about 50% is currently 56.19%.

Jupitus

Old and short, no wonder I'm grumpy!
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Thadius said:
True, if GOA contributing funds to this forum then yes, I would expect to see threads about freeshards closed

However, as far as I know, GOA dont do this

They don't, but we do have GOA staff supporting the community here which is a good thing.

Frankly, as a gaming forum, we don't really endorse any kind of cheating or illegal behaviour, nor do we support encouraging people to breach the terms of software agreements. This is true of DAOC aswell as other games, and we would close similar threads about other games.

Yes, the ads are sometimes inappropriate, but when we see them or they are reported to us we do, time permitting for Deebs, have them blocked. If you don't like the ads yourself, then contributing a tenner means they won't be displayed for you.... if more people did this we wouldn't have needed them... sense the irony? ;)

Anyway - I think this particular discussion has run it's course.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom