SPAM This thread is for random spam!!

Overdriven

Dumpster Fire of The South
How do you know that? Why don't you try it on someone?

This is genuinely such a baffling argument.

You can literally see it everywhere? If you've grown up around people from "different backgrounds" you can see it too.

Not a baffling argument in the slightest.

Sad word make me overly emotional and erratic. Boohoo. Get over it.

(It's a slightly wider issue than this obviously because context is a huge part of it..)

gunner440

Hey Daddy Altman
You can literally see it everywhere? If you've grown up around people from "different backgrounds" you can see it too.

(It's a slightly wider issue than this obviously because context is a huge part of it..)

I didn't see a lot of it in the UK when I lived there but in Spain and a lot of mainland Europe there are lots of words which, when translated into English, would be considered super racist.

Calling someone over here "negro" or "moreno" which would translate(ish) into "black" and "dark" isn't seen as racist. There's a chocolate covered peanut brand here called Conguito. I don't even know what the word means but when you say it, you refer to:

71nJION2nvS._AC_SL1500_.jpg

And no it's not considered racist.

I think half the time the translation is the problem.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
It's why I've not responded. It seems self-evident to me and continuing to argue when there's that gap has proven pointless to me.

See - I can learn!

This tho:
Bring back mandatory bullying in schools. That'll learn 'em.
You get it, and I can see where you're coming from. But nobody is saying allow kids to start calling each other niggers with impunity, as was the case when I was growing up - but eradicating the use of the word across all media in this manner doesn't really help with eradicating racism (which will be a constant renewable fight every generation).

This is about giving enough exposure to something - a social vaccination if you like - to help with some of the worst effects of racism.

If you want another analogy - parents stopping kids playing very physically at a young age has resulted in a measureable increase in young adult deaths - because they didn't learn not to jump off cliffs when they were younger...

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
I didn't see a lot of it in the UK when I lived there but in Spain and a lot of mainland Europe there are lots of words which, when translated into English, would be considered super racist.

Calling someone over here "negro" or "moreno" which would translate(ish) into "black" and "dark" isn't seen as racist. There's a chocolate covered peanut brand here called Conguito. I don't even know what the word means but when you say it, you refer to:

View attachment 45331

And no it's not considered racist.

I think half the time the translation is the problem.
Totally get this. Luis Suarez and Patrice Evra is all I'll say.

Aoami

I am a FH squatter

What is the argument you are trying to make here?

"Sticks and stones may break my bones, but words will never hurt me" seems to be the crux of it.

Overdriven

Dumpster Fire of The South
What is the argument you are trying to make here?

"Sticks and stones may break my bones, but words will never hurt me" seems to be the crux of it.

It pretty much comes down to that and how people are now so reactive to things that they don't seem to realise that words are just more than words. Words and phrases have context. You can't have the same emotional outburst if you hear a rude word/a word you don't like if you don't understand the context.

Parents should/schools should teach the history of words and how they're still used now, the impact (etc) to give people an OPINION on it and to understand contextual use.

Not hard.

EDIT: Am bored now, so won't reply to this chain (for this subject) again.

Aoami

I am a FH squatter
Totally get this. Luis Suarez and Patrice Evra is all I'll say.

How about just don't bring someone's skin colour into it in the first place, then nothing can be misconstrued?

Liverpool apologizsd to Evra 9 years after the event so I'd personally take that as an admission that they felt Suarez overstepped the mark.

Aoami

I am a FH squatter
It pretty much comes down to that and how people are now so reactive to things that they don't seem to realise that words are just more than words. Words and phrases have context. You can't have the same emotional outburst if you hear a rude word/a word you don't like if you don't understand the context.

Parents should/schools should teach the history of words and how they're still used now, the impact (etc) to give people an OPINION on it and to understand contextual use.

Not hard.

How about just don't use the words at all though? Why do you need to? Why is important to remind, for instance, young black folks that a lot of society used to be racist cunts to them?

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
How about just don't bring someone's skin colour into it in the first place, then nothing can be misconstrued?

Liverpool apologizsd to Evra 9 years after the event so I'd personally take that as an admission that they felt Suarez overstepped the mark.
How about you learn that racism is about intent and other cultures can perfectly happily and non-racistly mention people's skin colour without the abject hysteria of the Brits?

Liverpool apologised to Evra because the British public are black and white (excuse the pun) in their cultural understanding - and it was dogging the brand domestically and with sponsors. It had nothing to do with right and wrong.

Deebs

Chief Arsewipe
Staff member
FH Subscriber
If you want another analogy - parents stopping kids playing very physically at a young age has resulted in a measureable increase in young adult deaths - because they didn't learn not to jump off cliffs when they were younger...

This. I remember at Junior School playing British bulldog and going out in the play area when it was covered in snow and having snowball fights.

IIRC that has all be banned now?

Embattle

FH is my second home
Loved British bulldog, a couple of friends and I made a tougher game although it was fun even if painful at times :)

Gwadien

Uneducated Northern Cretin
How about you learn that racism is about intent and other cultures can perfectly happily and non-racistly mention people's skin colour without the abject hysteria of the Brits?

Liverpool apologised to Evra because the British public are black and white (excuse the pun) in their cultural understanding - and it was dogging the brand domestically and with sponsors. It had nothing to do with right and wrong.

Okay then scenario;

Kid comes crying to staff 'x called me the n bomb' x tells you that the context wasn't racist.

What should be done?

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
Loved British bulldog, a couple of friends and I made a tougher game although it was fun even if painful at times :)

Or as my kids call it..."Bulldog". And kids over here certainly still play it. To be honest I think Irish kids in general seem to be less cotton-wool wrapped than British kids. Still way more than I was as a kid though (my parents literally never knew where I was during the day from about the age of seven, we'd have a collective heart attack if my kids did a tenth of the dangerous, really dangerous shit I did).

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Context @Gwadien. What is the topic we're talking about.

The name of the game here is to come to a greater understanding, not invent scenarios completely unrelated to the topic at hand.

But to answer you. If a kid comes crying to a teacher saying "these guys called me a nigger" (I notice you couldn't bring yourself to type it) then you'd try to deal with any complaint like a teacher would.

I hope you wouldn't automatically believe the kid though - kids are lying little shits and absolutrly I remember kids lying through their teeth (with tears, even getting their mates to punch them) to get other kids in trouble.

Either way. Irrelevant.

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
Shame you can pass comment without and knowledge surrounding the situation oO

She quit because her budget failed and a right wing budget passed. Then she changed her mind.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Or as my kids call it..."Bulldog". And kids over here certainly still play it. To be honest I think Irish kids in general seem to be less cotton-wool wrapped than British kids. Still way more than I was as a kid though (my parents literally never knew where I was during the day from about the age of seven, we'd have a collective heart attack if my kids did a tenth of the dangerous, really dangerous shit I did).
100% this.

I don't know any of my extended family's kids who've ever even broken a wrist (for example), whereas hospital for this sort of low-level stuff was regular.

Embattle

FH is my second home
I would be interested in the actual statistics over broken bones etc for children, I was fortunate that even with my accidents while using my bicycle during my youth I never suffered any breaks and none of the non bicycle accidents caused a break either.

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
I just saw a scaffolder slip on something in KFC and he somehow managed to crash into the bin area and land arse first in the garbage. His mates were bent double laughing their asses off. It was amusing. Funny how the misfortune of others can brighten your day 😁

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
She had only just been appointed, like hours before. Lost her budget/coalition partner and quit, then went for it again.

If that is traditional then fair enough, doesn't seem to be particularly efficient though :)

Seems sillier than our government.

Gwadien

Uneducated Northern Cretin
Context @Gwadien. What is the topic we're talking about.

The name of the game here is to come to a greater understanding, not invent scenarios completely unrelated to the topic at hand.

But to answer you. If a kid comes crying to a teacher saying "these guys called me a nigger" (I notice you couldn't bring yourself to type it) then you'd try to deal with any complaint like a teacher would.

I hope you wouldn't automatically believe the kid though - kids are lying little shits and absolutrly I remember kids lying through their teeth (with tears, even getting their mates to punch them) to get other kids in trouble.

Either way. Irrelevant.

I didn't post nigger because I didn't see the need to and last time I posted Paki (or something similar) @Deebs gave me a warning so I fully expect the same here :)

But on topic so your philosophy is that all kids are liars and should be ignored.

And we said Job wanted the 19th century back.

But you probably should know that kids as young as 12 are currently being read books to them that involve lots of racism and detailed rape bits etc.

So yeah...

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
You really can't stop yourself from making stuff up can you. :(

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
I didn't post nigger because I didn't see the need to and last time I posted Paki (or something similar) @Deebs gave me a warning so I fully expect the same here :)

But on topic so your philosophy is that all kids are liars and should be ignored.

And we said Job wanted the 19th century back.

But you probably should know that kids as young as 12 are currently being read books to them that involve lots of racism and detailed rape bits etc.

So yeah...

Bilbo. There, I said it.

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
As for the whole bad words thing.

No, children should not be shielded from the language, yes they should be taught what it means, where it came from and in what context (if any) it would be appropriate. The N-bomb should not be used in any context, whatever colour you are. Except in the following line "racists, and general fuckwits say "Nigger"

Aoami

I am a FH squatter
She had only just been appointed, like hours before. Lost her budget/coalition partner and quit, then went for it again.

If that is traditional then fair enough, doesn't seem to be particularly efficient though :)

Seems sillier than our government.

Tradition dictated she needed to quit because she would no longer have a majority government. So she did, but then you take the case to the courts to say "actually I think a minority government will be OK, what do you think?", they give it the all clear and you're back. Something along those lines.

Yoni

Cockb@dger / Klotehommel www.lhw.photography
Exactly this she had to resign as the right wing budget passed the green and the far left said they would not implement it so there was no coalition. Her party then needs to reselect her to run a minority government.... not really silly she did not have the mandate to stay at that point... but sure carry on making assumptions about what is silly as far as government traditions go oO

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom