SPAM This thread is for random spam!!

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
Got myself down a bit of a youtube rabbit hole and somehow ended up with people getting pulled over for drink-driving in America.

What a long-drawn-out ballache, walk here, follow the pen, lift your leg up. Why not just breathalyse them?! I can do all those tests absolutely wankered, what does it prove?

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
People going to a Uni, literally funded by the people they are protesting about. Maybe they should ask that the lovely buildings they get to study in get gifted to good causes at the same time the statues are taken down.

You can't hide the past, you can only learn from it.

Gwadien

Uneducated Northern Cretin
People going to a Uni, literally funded by the people they are protesting about. Maybe they should ask that the lovely buildings they get to study in get gifted to good causes at the same time the statues are taken down.

You can't hide the past, you can only learn from it.

Having a statue of something = you're revering it.

You can still learn about the past without having statues about it.

As I've said before, throughout all of history statues have been torn down and new ones put up, it would be nice if we could go through that process peacefully.

Don't you think it's about time we move on from 19th century figures?

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
Actually, no, I don't think all statues should be torn down, and a statue does not necessarily glorify someone, unless you want it to. They should be left on buildings as a constant reminder of what funded that building and the literal blood sweat and tears involved in building these universities/hospitals/parks (delete as applicable) to ram home that it should never happen again.

The building itself is a monument to the person, should it also be torn down?

Gwadien

Actually, no, I don't think all statues should be torn down, and a statue does not necessarily glorify someone, unless you want it to. They should be left on buildings as a constant reminder of what funded that building and the literal blood sweat and tears involved in building these universities/hospitals/parks (delete as applicable) to ram home that it should never happen again.

The building itself is a monument to the person, should it also be torn down?

Sorry, that's bollocks.

You build and maintain statues to glorify the person you have a statue of, you don't keep a statue up because you think they're a dick.

I can't remember where it was, might be Belarus or Ukraine but I remember a vlogger going to a park where they had all the soviet era statues off pedestals (Including actual non controversial people like Gagarin) and it was more like a museum, that's what I would consider acceptable.

You keep talking about blood sweat and tears; of the people who people like Cecil Rhodes oppressed and exploited or Cecil Rhodes himself? So if you're going to respect those blood sweat and tears then surely having a statue of the person who's responsible for it is the worst thing you can do? Also, the people that have benefitted from it and the middle/upper classes of Oxford who have life relatively easy compared to the ethnic minority token kids that are put in for 'balance', and I'd imagine to many it would serve as a reminder that they're just there due to the current political situation, rather than on merit, or should I say because of their social class.

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
It's not because they are a dick, it's because it is our unavoidable past and the fact not everything is black and white.

Trying to whitewash the past is getting kind of tiring, it was a completely different era and like it or not, that sort of shit was acceptable and celebrated at the time. It's not as simple as just removing it, and it's quite a powerful statement to say, look what this nasty cock-end built, now look how we and society as a whole have evolved and in a way, spiting his memory, not hiding it.

Once it is taken down, the history and reason for the building being there will be forgotten in 10, 20, 30 years.

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
Its actually bonkers that there's a statue to Cecil Rhodes anywhere, but in the case of Oxford, getting rid of it is very much a pointless "stable door" exercise, because Oxford continues to be associated with Rhodes through the Rhodes Scholarship and the only way they can get rid of that name is to refuse to take the money from the Rhodes Trust, and nobody is very keen on that idea for obvious reasons.

SilverHood

FH is my second home
I'm with Raven here. Statues are part of history, and as such, shouldn't necessarily be removed just because the point of view they represented at the time, is no longer politically correct. Do we remove WW 1 & 2 memorials because they glorify war?

I would rather the statues help drive conversation on why things happened the way they did, the legacy and consequences of it, how we can change those legacies for the better. If you remove them, they will be forgotten.

Aoami

I am a FH squatter
To be fair. Biden flew to lhr and then flew to Newquay as well.
and the Beast car and motorcade are huge gas guzzlers as well.
To be fair to who? Biden is a twat for doing it as well then. Get the train.

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
To be fair to who? Biden is a twat for doing it as well then. Get the train.
To be fair spread the blame around to all of them that did it. Not just Johnson ;)

did macron get the train from Paris to london ?

the whole thing is funny when you think theres 5k police around there all being fed and watered and temporary housed. Plus all the international press. And the miles and miles of fencing thats been erected for 3 days.

none of it is environmentally sound

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
Neither will anything that comes out of it. £££ and that's it.

Gwadien

Why would anyone need 17 vehicles. Its just mad.

also saw on tv last night a joke about this. 5000 police means each dignatory is protected by 800 ish. Totally ott.

Lmao.

Yes let's rip into the Americans.

Post on Tory corruption - 'meh'.

Hahaha

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom