SPAM This thread is for random spam!!

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
Tax law changes are being mooted. But right now we're "surprised" that Microsoft is earning most of the GDP of Ireland and not paying tax on it.

We've had expose after expose, the panama papers etc. etc. etc. Years and years of diligent work by undercover reporters - who face threats to their lives in some cases - to uncover the murky and opaque dealings.

Cryptocurrencies potentially remove all that opacity - they're open ledgers. Try and get a single bank to open it's ledger up to you. Whereas you can read the records of every single transaction.

So not only do crypto's solve the problem of hidden funding, hoarding and money transfers - they also allow automated and full enforcing of the laws. You could do away with nearly every single tax investigator, lots of the regulatory bodies - you could almost do "tax as a service" electronically.

Even if you had transparency as you describe, you'd only get to the point where you can call out these companies on the grounds of good citizenship and ethics, because they're not actually breaking the law.

It's interesting in that article that we get:

guardian said:
Tax transparency campaigners described the “tax aggression displayed by Microsoft, and facilitated by Ireland” as “beyond belief”.

but the real issue here isn't Ireland, is the ability to be tax resident in Bermuda, with zero tax liability. Last time I checked, Bermuda was a British Overseas Territory.

Unless you very explicitly outlaw the specific recharging processes used by corporates to offset profit taking in zero tax territories, then you're always going to have this problem, and if you do enable such rules its just like playing whack-a-mole; there'll be another route along in a minute. So what can you do? Tax on revenue? No, its a disaster and creates barriers to entry for new business. So how about you sanction zero rate tax territories altogether? Any territory with zero tax rates can't export its money out of its own jurisdiction. You can have all the tax free money you want. But you can't spend it anywhere else.

Gwadien

Uneducated Northern Cretin
Tax law changes are being mooted. But right now we're "surprised" that Microsoft is earning most of the GDP of Ireland and not paying tax on it.

We've had expose after expose, the panama papers etc. etc. etc. Years and years of diligent work by undercover reporters - who face threats to their lives in some cases - to uncover the murky and opaque dealings.

Cryptocurrencies potentially remove all that opacity - they're open ledgers. Try and get a single bank to open it's ledger up to you. Whereas you can read the records of every single transaction.

So not only do crypto's solve the problem of hidden funding, hoarding and money transfers - they also allow automated and full enforcing of the laws. You could do away with nearly every single tax investigator, lots of the regulatory bodies - you could almost do "tax as a service" electronically.

You're almost suggesting that Microsoft/Amazon/apple/Google and all the other non tax paying companies don't already have teams already working how they can avoid tax if crpyto became mainstream.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Even if you had transparency as you describe, you'd only get to the point where you can call out these companies on the grounds of good citizenship and ethics, because they're not actually breaking the law.
Totally - as I already said. But transparency is the first step - as soon as you can see the shit people are doing then you can start doing stuff about it (in law). The argument for action becomes much easier - which is the whole reason they hide their shit.

But yep. Law. :)

Unless you very explicitly outlaw the specific recharging processes used by corporates to offset profit taking in zero tax territories, then you're always going to have this problem
Yeah. I'd do exactly that :)

You're almost suggesting that Microsoft/Amazon/apple/Google and all the other non tax paying companies don't already have teams already working how they can avoid tax if crpyto became mainstream.
They'll do it by lobbying lawmakers.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
You need to read a bit history on him. He was quite the sportsman in his youth, slim and fit.

As for this latest storm in a tea cup. I think if it is a serious drama on historical figures then they should be played by ethnically similar people for accuracy. If it's a piss take comedy then I would not care one iota.

I have read about him. In his youth he was slim. When they married he was already obese. In the TV show, he never became obese. It's very silly, they should have got a different actor to play him.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
I generally try to avoid watching actual death on the internet. But that was just weird.

Sign of the times I suppose. Unless it had been edited in by someone.

Hell of a crash tho.

Access Denied

It was like that when I got here...
The housing market is a joke at the moment, and not the funny kind. This isn't a bad idea, however the problem still lies with the mortgage lenders and the price of rent anywhere but up north. Lenders won't even consider you for a mortage if you haven't got a deposit and many people simply can't afford to rent and save up £20-30 thousand pounds. Where I am, a standard 2 bedroom flat ranges from £700-850 a month. Why the fuck don't lenders take proof of rent payment over a period of time in place of a deposit? If you can pay that much in rent you can sure as hell pay £500 a month for a mortgage.

Hawkwind

FH is my second home
I have read about him. In his youth he was slim. When they married he was already obese. In the TV show, he never became obese. It's very silly, they should have got a different actor to play him.

He was only obese in the later years of his life. The jousting accident happened around 1536. As he was born in 1491 Iand married Jane Seymour (3rd wife after Anne) in 1536 I don't believe your facts are correct at all. His first marriage was in 1509.

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
The housing market is a joke at the moment, and not the funny kind. This isn't a bad idea, however the problem still lies with the mortgage lenders and the price of rent anywhere but up north. Lenders won't even consider you for a mortage if you haven't got a deposit and many people simply can't afford to rent and save up £20-30 thousand pounds. Where I am, a standard 2 bedroom flat ranges from £700-850 a month. Why the fuck don't lenders take proof of rent payment over a period of time in place of a deposit? If you can pay that much in rent you can sure as hell pay £500 a month for a mortgage.
Because a deposit is what offsets their risk. When you default they'll sell a property under value to regain their capital and still have you on the hook for the debt. Banks make more from People who can't pay than from those who can remember.

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing

Actually there are some solutions for this; take a look at creditladder.co.uk. I don't know your circumstances and I'm not allowed to give financial advice (and I'm not in the UK - there, arse covered) but I came across them as part of my job (fintechs and open banking is a big part of what I do) and it seems to be quite well received.

Aoami

I am a FH squatter
He was only obese in the later years of his life. The jousting accident happened around 1536. As he was born in 1491 Iand married Jane Seymour (3rd wife after Anne) in 1536 I don't believe your facts are correct at all. His first marriage was in 1509.
I think he is saying when Henry & Anne married.

Aoami

I am a FH squatter
I've emailed Rishi to ask him to extend the stamp duty holiday. Fingers crossed lads.

Access Denied

It was like that when I got here...
Actually there are some solutions for this; take a look at creditladder.co.uk. I don't know your circumstances and I'm not allowed to give financial advice (and I'm not in the UK - there, arse covered) but I came across them as part of my job (fintechs and open banking is a big part of what I do) and it seems to be quite well received.

Interesting! I'll definitely check that out. I signed up with Credit Club, which is provided by moneysavingexpert and my credit score is a lot higher than I was expecting but my lending power is weak so if that would help improve it I'd definitely go for it.

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
Get a credit card, buy your shopping with it, pay it off straight away.

Lenders care about what you pay back more than what you have in the bank.

It's worth using VISA anyway for any online purchases because you get added insurance, always pay it off straight away though.

Wij

I am a FH squatter

It's worth using VISA anyway for any online purchases because you get added insurance, always pay it off straight away though.
I've done that for years. Everything goes on credit card and I pay it off several times a week. Often straight after the transaction :)

Moriath

I am a FH squatter

On anything over £100

SilverHood

FH is my second home

It's madness everywhere. I'm looking at skipping the living in my own property step entirely, and just buying a nice holiday home instead.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom