SPAM This thread is for random spam!!

Embattle

FH is my second home
To this day every where I go in the UK and say Im from Liverpool, the reactions range from

Them tapping their thigh...better check my wallet to a dropped face that says .
'Oh..er thats nice'. followed by patronising comments about the Beatles.
Ive been accused of stealing, of being a heroin addict, if something goes missing Im the first to be questioned.
Without an ounce of evidence, just a general assumed guilt based on an unwritten consensus.
Its not piss taking..because very few are good enough to succeed against a scouser, its our second sport.

I understand how black people feel now...obviously not the 400yrs of slavery.

If only they knew you.....it would surely go better.

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
On the lookout for a new phone. No rush. But it won't be Samsung. Getting increasingly fed up with Samsung pushing their proprietary software. Hate curved screens, and the latest versions of Android. If my Note 4 had a decent camera, didn't have a dodgy SIM connection, and could hold a charge, I'd stick with it. Wouldn't be surprised if they all go that way, locking bootloaders, pushing ppl who want true Android AOSP to go for lesser spec phones and rooting them to the hilt. I can see rooting coming back.

Embattle

FH is my second home
I generally stick to google phones with stock android, Pixel 5 isn't too far away irc although I would consider a One Plus.

Ormorof

FH is my second home
On the lookout for a new phone. No rush. But it won't be Samsung. Getting increasingly fed up with Samsung pushing their proprietary software. Hate curved screens, and the latest versions of Android. If my Note 4 had a decent camera, didn't have a dodgy SIM connection, and could hold a charge, I'd stick with it. Wouldn't be surprised if they all go that way, locking bootloaders, pushing ppl who want true Android AOSP to go for lesser spec phones and rooting them to the hilt. I can see rooting coming back.

I have a OnePlus 7 Pro and quite happy with it, the Oxygen OS doesn't have too much preinstalled crap

Not sure if i can ever go back to Samsung after working on a project that used the Galaxy Store payment system it was awful, if rest of OS is that poorly written it boggles the mind that anything works :D

Overdriven

Dumpster Fire of The South
I'm a peasant compared to @Ormorof as I only have the 6T - I went from a One Plus One to a Huawei P9 to a One Plus 6. Keep going back to the OPO series as they're generally just good phones. Cost a bit more now though.

Hawkwind

FH is my second home
Quite an interesting development with Social Media on the advertising front. Large companies halting advertising on some Social Media platforms due to the polarization politically and socially. Some because of inaction by Facebook and others over 'hate speech'.

Other brands like Coke Cola are stopping ads for other reasons, including not wanting to be polarized by a large section of population.

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing

I barely ever notice the Samsung software on my Note 9. I've had it for a year now and will keep it until it falls apart; its a great phone.

Job

The Carl Pilkington of Freddyshouse
Can we just pause to honour velcro and their epic attempt to stop people saying velcro when it isnt and protect their trademark.
We need more of this.
And yes I appreciate it was probably part of their proof to keep their trademark in court.

View: https://youtu.be/rRi8LptvFZY

Job

Quite an interesting development with Social Media on the advertising front. Large companies halting advertising on some Social Media platforms due to the polarization politically and socially. Some because of inaction by Facebook and others over 'hate speech'.

Other brands like Coke Cola are stopping ads for other reasons, including not wanting to be polarized by a large section of population.
Well yes obviously, its brand blackmail.
Thats what the left do now...they are in the protection racket.
Then the same groups appoint themselves as the kangaroo court of what hate speech is.
Anything right of Chairmain Maos even more commie cousin..

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
I barely ever notice the Samsung software on my Note 9. I've had it for a year now and will keep it until it falls apart; its a great phone.
Me neither. All of the Samsung apps are in a Samsung folder. The Bixby alarm thing - where it tells you the weather forecast and the headlines (although it'd be nice if they were at least a bit localised and not 100% US politics) - is actually really useful... I use the Notes app with the S-pen... the Camera app is excellent. That's about all the exposure I have to Samsung's apps.

As for the OS itself, Samsung's One UI is orders of magnitude more streamlined (and less customised) than TouchWiz used to be (which your Note 4 will be running @Lamp, if you haven't rooted and put something else on... it might be worth going to a shop and playing around with one of their more recent models to see the changes). Curved screens are a gimmick tbh., I barely notice it on my Note 9. It's an outstanding phone, it really is.

Deebs

Chief Arsewipe
Staff member
FH Subscriber
I like my S9 but I disabled that Bixby shite.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
My S10+ has been great tbh.

I've learned not to accidentally hit the bixby button too ;)

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
I don't use any of the Bixby stuff, I only use the Bixby alarm because I set it accidentally once. There's a setting somewhere to make it so you have to press the (non-reconfigurable :eek:) Bixby button twice to activate it, which cut down me accidentally bringing it up to zero.

Bodhi

Once agreed with Scouse and a LibDem at same time
I've just had a message from EE to say I am due an upgrade, but am struggling to find a genuine reason to do so. My XZ2 is still running absolutely fine - still getting software updates, a full charge still lasts more than a day, and Sony's software is getting lighter and lighter so it's pretty much stock Android now, with a few media apps.

So fully expect me to buy an Xperia 1 Mk2 (catchy name!) shortly :)

Job

I've just had a message from EE to say I am due an upgrade, but am struggling to find a genuine reason to do so. My XZ2 is still running absolutely fine - still getting software updates, a full charge still lasts more than a day, and Sony's software is getting lighter and lighter so it's pretty much stock Android now, with a few media apps.

So fully expect me to buy an Xperia 1 Mk2 (catchy name!) shortly :)
They'll force an update eventually that kills it.
Regardles of tinhatness, they just have to or no one is going to upgrade.

Bodhi

They'll force an update eventually that kills it.
Regardles of tinhatness, they just have to or no one is going to upgrade.

Um, it may surprise you, but I've had a few Sony phones now, and have had zero forced updates which have caused me to buy a new one.

I did have to replace my Z3 when the touchscreen wore out after 3.5 years. Damn you Sony *shakes fist*

Job

My old HTC got killed by an update, the bluetooth stopped connecting to the car and the camera would take 10 seconds to take a picture.
Then my Note 3 went from 3 bars signal to one in the house after an update.
The wifi takes around 2 mins to connect and the bluetooth even longer.
It cant connect to my drone more that 50ft away and I use a 30 quid tesco phone for that now.
GPS lock is terrible as well, used to be very good.
Perfect before update..shite after.

Bodhi

My old HTC got killed by an update, the bluetooth stopped connecting to the car and the camera would take 10 seconds to take a picture.
Then my Note 3 went from 3 bars signal to one in the house after an update.
The wifi takes around 2 mins to connect and the bluetooth even longer.
It cant connect to my drone more that 50ft away and I use a 30 quid tesco phone for that now.
GPS lock is terrible as well, used to be very good.
Perfect before update..shite after.

Cool story bro.

I assume you are aware that Sony, Samsung and HTC are 3 different companies?

And with your record with technology, did the manufacturers brick it? Or did you do that by trying to plug an SD Card in?

Job

Ha I love cool story bro.

Yes I think all phones are made in the same garden shed, seeing as Apple have ADMITTED to slowing down phones in updates, I dont think its a big leap to claim android+manufacturer might just be tempted to nudge owners into the shop as well.
I havent looked why my connections are far slower its probably some extra security..who knows.
Just...never...ever..update, you always end up worse off.
From microshite to an action cam.
Coders dont do better..they just do more shite.

Ormorof

FH is my second home
They slow down phones that are worn down to avoid crashing the device (or so they claim). Most Android manufacturers know that in west the usage time of a new phone for a consumer is between 2 to 3 years, after that it goes into 2nd hand market where people dont update anyway

Its not that they are deliberately slowing down devices its the applications expand their capabilities to match the resources they use thats available on latest and greatest phones, this same thing happens on desktops, you wouldn't expect a 10 year old PC with latest hardware at the time to perform the same as a brand new one today running a brand new game, hell it likely wont run at all

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Its not that they are deliberately slowing down devices its the applications expand their capabilities to match the resources they use thats available on latest and greatest phones
I disagree. Built in obsolecence is definitely a thing.

The processors in phones today are very very powerful, running 3d games, 4k video etc. After a few years simply running the operating system (and nothing else) becomes laggy.

There's only one way that happens. And it should be criminal given the environmental impact.

Ormorof

FH is my second home
I disagree. Built in obsolecence is definitely a thing.

The processors in phones today are very very powerful, running 3d games, 4k video etc. After a few years simply running the operating system (and nothing else) becomes laggy.

There's only one way that happens. And it should be criminal given the environmental impact.

If you take an unused iphone with OS from 5 years ago and an unused iphone with latest OS, performance is higher in newest OS. What you see over time and use is Apple throttles the hardware as it wears out, this is intended to prevent crashes / fires

On Android the problem is a bit different, because of lack of centralised control the apps are extremely bloated and frankly due for a major overhaul. The problems vary a bit by device but they will also throttle the hardware if they detect issues between battery and rest of device, this is especially critical since the exploding Samsungs of a few years ago ;)

Performance in intensive workloads on iOS devices/OS versions Is it true that iPhones get slower over time?

Why apple slow devices over time: Apple Will Keep Throttling iPhones. Here's How to Stop It

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Silicon wears out eh? Must be all the moving parts.

It's a bullshit excuse. Disregarding bloatware - I specifically said operating system - i.e. doing the basics - turning it on, making a phone call etc.

If they were throttling peak performance in heavy load apps? I'd still call bullshit but maybe I'd buy it - but it's utter bullshit that actions that takes up <5% of the CPU power becomes laggy.

When mobiles were new tech maybe there wasn't the CPU overhead to take up a lot of slack but considering processors are ~3x faster now than 7 or 8 years ago they could cut their speeds in half and still have something way faster than required to run thr base OS.

It's built-in obsolescence, plain and simple. Don't fall for their bullshit. Especially from Apple - a company that has just been forced to adopt standard cabling by law because they're rip-off merchants across the board and we all know it.

Should be criminalised. Not just in tech - but across the board.

For example: I recall years back white goods manufacturers were so good at it they got found out when clusters of washing machines were failing two days after their 5 year guarantees were running out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom