SPAM This thread is for random spam!!

Bodhi

Once agreed with Scouse and a LibDem at same time
Can't speak to Apple as they are cunts, and anyone who buys their phones need their heads examined, but on Android it's not the CPU that "finishes them off" - it's RAM. Older handsets just don't have the memory to run newer versions of Android properly, so they get marooned on older versions. This is much less of an issue for useability on Android - as I said, I've never had to replace an Xperia because it had slowed down so much to be unuseable - just on an older version of Android it hasn't got the RAM to run properly.

Ormorof

FH is my second home
Silicon wears out eh? Must be all the moving parts.

It's a bullshit excuse. Disregarding bloatware - I specifically said operating system - i.e. doing the basics - turning it on, making a phone call etc.

If they were throttling peak performance in heavy load apps? I'd still call bullshit but maybe I'd buy it - but it's utter bullshit that actions that takes up <5% of the CPU power becomes laggy.

When mobiles were new tech maybe there wasn't the CPU overhead to take up a lot of slack but considering processors are ~3x faster now than 7 or 8 years ago they could cut their speeds in half and still have something way faster than required to run thr base OS.

It's built-in obsolescence, plain and simple. Don't fall for their bullshit. Especially from Apple - a company that has just been forced to adopt standard cabling by law because they're rip-off merchants across the board and we all know it.

Should be criminalised. Not just in tech - but across the board.

For example: I recall years back white goods manufacturers were so good at it they got found out when clusters of washing machines were failing two days after their 5 year guarantees were running out.

Heat not movement its not a steam engine ;)

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Heat not movement its not a steam engine ;)
It doesn't slow down. It either works, or it fails.

Transmission of electrons across silicone doesn't slow down over time. Period.

So you're right - it's nothing like a steam engine - but apple (and their ilk) are using "it's wearing out like a steam engine" excuses in order to make their artificial nerfing of the user experience to drive sales paletable.

They're fucking shysters.

Moriath

I am a FH squatter

So you're right - it's nothing like a steam engine - but apple (and their ilk) are using "it's wearing out like a steam engine" excuses in order to make their artificial nerfing of the user experience to drive sales paletable.

Apple blamed it on battery power and lack of on older phones that had been used a long time.
whatever.
apparently they stopped doing it.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Lol!

@Job! Are you spinning in your future grave??

Bo-jo just announced that we're no kind of superpower!

that blonde wanker said:
"No longer a military superpower but can be [not "are"] a science superpower"

And since science is education-driven, and our overall standards are dropping where other cultures (who put education on a pedestal rather than denigrate it as useless, like many working class brits) are rapidly advancing, I wonder where that future lies.

It looks like we're cooked tbh. Gentle slide into mediocrity for Blighty as a nation.

As a nation, of course, but not for the rich. They already have divorced themselves of the idiocy of nationalism and now just see countries as delivery pods, delivering shareholder value into their pockets whilst they have trans-national passports and multiple houses (or boats) wherever's prettiest / most fun.

Nationalism is for the poor and dumb.

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
Lol!

And since science is education-driven, and our overall standards are dropping where other cultures (who put education on a pedestal rather than denigrate it as useless, like many working class brits) are rapidly advancing, I wonder where that future lies.

It looks like we're cooked tbh. Gentle slide into mediocrity for Blighty as a nation.

As a nation, of course, but not for the rich. They already have divorced themselves of the idiocy of nationalism and now just see countries as delivery pods, delivering shareholder value into their pockets whilst they have trans-national passports and multiple houses (or boats) wherever's prettiest / most fun.

Of course we are not a superpower any more. We are trading on our past. We have a good financial sector if it doesnt move into europe. But mainly its cause we have nukes.

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing

That doesn't sound right, there are still physical connections on chips that can wear, dust ingress etc. thermal coupling and heatsinks that get old. Chip makers usually undercook clock speeds etc. so you don't see the impact of this stuff over a chip's "normal" lifespan, but eventually it will have an effect, and that doesn't necessarily mean fail/no fail.

Institute of Electrical Engineers agrees:

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Institute of Electrical Engineers agrees:
But in there they admit "you'd never notice it".

Yes, there's degredation, but not to the point that your hardware slows down noticeably. The pathways have to work.

Yoni

Cockb@dger / Klotehommel www.lhw.photography
I thought BoJo’s efforts were better than his usual level of shit - there were quite a few admissions today even if they were covered by his ho hoing

Job

The Carl Pilkington of Freddyshouse
So a post of a bkack guy on reddit pics wearing a tshirt thats says on the back.

Dont shoot , its just cardio.
Loads of jokey replies about getting himself set up to be shot...too quick for old racists etc.

So...

Screenshot_2020-06-30-17-50-24-1.png

I guess its calling for violence in a way....might as well go big.

Ormorof

FH is my second home
But in there they admit "you'd never notice it".

Yes, there's degredation, but not to the point that your hardware slows down noticeably. The pathways have to work.

The pathways work fine but no good if the battery explodes in your face

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
The pathways work fine but no good if the battery explodes in your face
This is true - but your CPU doesn't slow to 1/5th speed to achieve this and in the days of replaceable batteries the slowdown was still apparent.

Job

The Carl Pilkington of Freddyshouse
Lol!

Were a global power..havent been a super power for a very long time.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Uncharted territory by end of century. We could theoretically turn into another venus in the longer term.

I think we're fucked either way :(

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
Uncharted territory by end of century. We could theoretically turn into another venus in the longer term.

Be dead before then. And earth will die at some point anyway.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Be dead before then. And earth will die at some point anyway.
When the sun expands, yes. But so soon?

Unnecessary! - we *could* get to the stars / populate other planets, but we are killing our own opportunities.

Plus - you may well still be alive when, for examples, wars kick off because of mass migrations due to, perhaps, famine caused by the changing climate.

Fuck coronavirus. We need to "level up" human culture and intellect, and quick.

Bodhi

Fucking LOL. We have about as much chance of turning into Venus as @Job does of joining BLM. You only have to have a very brief look at the atmospheric composition of both planets, and comparative atmospheric pressures, to see why it just isn't going to happen.

Venus is 96.5% CO2, we are at 0.04% - burning all the fossil fuels we have in one big go may take us to 0.2%, possibly. The average pressure of the atmosphere on Venus is 93 bar, compared to just over 1 bar on Earth at sea level. If Earth was to get anywhere near this, we'd have much bigger things to worry about than Global Wombling.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
You only have to have a very brief look at the atmospheric composition of both planets.
Oh rly?

That's the fun thing about runaway physical processes. Chemistry and physics are chemistry and physics.

Currently we're at a level of CO2 in the atmosphere last seen 2.6m years ago. Long before Homo Sapiens was even a thing, sea levels were about 30m higher and trees were all over the arctic.

Not saying we'll be venus - I'm saying things could be *catastrophic* - but in conversation with a guy who doesn't think it's in any way a worry, that smoking doesn't really matter, and that locking down due to covid was a pointless waste of time I guess consideration of potential runaway impacts on earth's physical processes ain't even worth bringing up.

Bodhi

Oh rly?

That's the fun thing about runaway physical processes. Chemistry and physics are chemistry and physics.

Currently we're at a level of CO2 in the atmosphere last seen 2.6m years ago. Long before Homo Sapiens was even a thing, sea levels were about 30m higher and trees were all over the arctic.

Not saying we'll be venus - I'm saying things could be *catastrophic* - but in conversation with a guy who doesn't think it's in any way a worry, that smoking doesn't really matter, and that locking down due to covid was a pointless waste of time I guess consideration of potential runaway impacts on earth's physical processes ain't even worth bringing up.

I'm sure you're aware of the fun thing with computer models - they have little basis in reality due to the number of factors in any system we do not understand fully hence cannot model - and tend to be an exercise in Garbage In, Garbage Out. Ferguson's COVID model springs to mind as an obvious example, but pretty much all the climate computer models suffer the same problem - last I checked we hadn't even figured out how to model Clouds yet, which is a bit of an omission, considering how powerful a GHG Water Vapour is.

However given that we are at a "scary" level of CO2 in the atmosphere not seen since sea levels were 30m higher and there were trees in the Arctic, surely the fact that there aren't currently trees all over the arctic, and sea levels are rising at the same miniscule rate they have been for hundreds of years, kind of shows the link between CO2 and temperature is more than a bit tenuous.

I'm sure you are aware that there is a "minimum" level of CO2 in the atmosphere required for plants to grow, and below this ecosystems tend to fail due to the lack of food. That level is around 150 ppm, and at the start of the Industrial Revolution we were just above 250, and fluctuating between that and 180 depending on Ice Ages, etc. So if we were to look at things rationally (difficult for an alarmist I know), you'd have to say all that additional CO2 we're adding - which came from the atmosphere in the first place - is providing us with a much more habitable planet, even without all the many benefits of Fossil Fuels themselves.

So no, it isn't a worry.

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
Yeah there were three or four beeches last weekend down here saying to not go their cause of discharge into the sea.

but its a million percent better than when we were kids bathing next to sewer outflow pipes on beaches lol

Users who are viewing this thread

• Top Bottom