SPAM This thread is for random spam!!

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
Yep sure is
Lost my Dad almost 2 years ago, and my Mum in July.
It changes you. Well it changed me
Makes you re-assess what's important in life and I'm not afraid of expressing emotion anymore.

(last night I cried after eating the last Jaffa Cake)

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Particularly pertinent to me right now as I'm in hospital sat next to my probably dying mother:

I'm against assisted dying for this reason:

I'm a strong personality but would suffer unser that pressure. To get to the end of your life and be made, socially, to feel like a burden is an unconscionable recipe for a profoundly sad end.
Stay strong Scouse

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
I haven't the faintest idea what hes on (or on about).

Its homological mirror symmetry.

A Calabi Yau manifold ("X") can have a mirror manifold ("Y") such that certain properties of X correspond to certain properties of Y. Its useful in String Theory.

(I say useful, you need to have an advanced post-doc understanding of complex math. It is way beyond standard PhD level physics. We're talking Perimeter Institute level here !)

For example there is a category (called the Fukaya Category) associated with symplectic manifolds built from Lagrangian submanifolds and their intersections and captures the algebraic structure derived from the symplectic geometry of, say, the Calabi Yau manifold.

Overdriven

Dumpster Fire of The South

A Calabi Yau manifold ("X") can have a mirror manifold ("Y") such that certain properties of X correspond to certain properties of Y. Its useful in String Theory.

(I say useful, you need to have an advanced post-doc understanding of complex math. It is way beyond standard PhD level physics. We're talking Perimeter Institute level here !)

For example there is a category (called the Fukaya Category) associated with symplectic manifolds built from Lagrangian submanifolds and their intersections and captures the algebraic structure derived from the symplectic geometry of, say, the Calabi Yau manifold.

You might as well be typing in REGEX.

Tom

I am a FH squatter

Screenshot 2024-10-04 at 11-01-56 geordi la forge - Google Search.png

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
Ok in English:

(@Zarjazz correct me if I'm off target here)

Some scientists believe there is more to our universe than the standard 3 spatial dimensions (up down, left right, forward and back)

They believe there is an additional 6 (!) dimensions. But you can't see them. They're tiny. And they're everywhere.

Imagine a sheet of wrapping paper. Now imagine scrunching it up into a ball. Well these extra 6 dimensions are scrunched up (or "compactified") in an analogous manner like the ball of wrapping paper but they are so tiny you can't detect them. Each of these scrunched up balls is a Calabi Yau Manifold. The design on the wrapping paper could represent Lagrangian submanifolds and intersection points referred to in homological mirror symmetry.

Within these "balls" particles such as electrons and quarks are formed by the vibration of tiny fundamental one dimensional "strings" (they can form open and closed loops) so small we have no way to detect them, and currently it is entirely theoretical, having no proof of its existence, hence its known as String Theory.

Jupitus

Old and short, no wonder I'm grumpy!
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Ok in English:

(@Zarjazz correct me if I'm off target here)

Some scientists believe there is more to our universe than the standard 3 spatial dimensions (up down, left right, forward and back)

They believe there is an additional 6 (!) dimensions. But you can't see them. They're tiny. And they're everywhere.

Imagine a sheet of wrapping paper. Now imagine scrunching it up into a ball. Well these extra 6 dimensions are scrunched up (or "compactified") in an analogous manner like the ball of wrapping paper but they are so tiny you can't detect them. Each of these scrunched up balls is a Calabi Yau Manifold. The design on the wrapping paper could represent Lagrangian submanifolds and intersection points referred to in homological mirror symmetry.

Within these "balls" particles such as electrons and quarks are formed by the vibration of tiny fundamental one dimensional "strings" (they can form open and closed loops) so small we have no way to detect them, and currently it is entirely theoretical, having no proof of its existence, hence its known as String Theory.
Ouch. My head hurts.

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
Further reading (a glance at the top shelf of my physics bookcase)

The Elegant Universe - Briane Greene
The Biggest Ideas in the Universe - Sean Carroll
The Science of Interstellar - Kip Thorne
The Strangest Man - Graham Farmelo
Einstein - Walter Isacson
Advanced Theoretical Physics - Nick Lucid
Fear of Physics - Lawrence Krauss
Not Even Wrong - Peter Wolt
Subtle is the Lord - Abraham Pais
How to Teach Quantum Physics to your Dog - Chad Orzel
Six Easy Pieces - Richard Feynman
Death by Black Hole - Neil de Grasse Tyson
Quantum Physics - Carlo Rovelli
Six Impossible Things - John Gribbin
The Quantum Universe - Brian Cox
Differential Geometry of Curves and Surfaces - Carmo
Quantum Mechanics - Jim Al-Khalili
Fantastic Numbers - Tony Padilla
The Character of Physical Law - Richard Feynman
Mathematical Methods for Physics - Riley & Hobson
Theoretical Physics for Undergraduates - Fufaev
Theoretical Concepts in Physics - Longair
Linear Algebra - Strang
Abstract Algebra - Warner

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
Brain Greene is an excellent starting point for anyone wanting to get into physics and cosmology - but - he's a massive String Theory fan boi. I'm not sold on it. I don't think @Zarjazz is either (I don't want to put words in your mouth lol)

Sean Carroll is an excellent communicator too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom