SPAM This thread is for random spam!!

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
Do you want your free customers to go elsewhere? Because this is how you make your free customers go elsewhere.

I used to have Premium but stopped because I wasn't really using it but having to decide between having the free version installed on my PC or my phone is really taking the piss. It's become more and more expensive since LogMeIn took it over and now this... Bitwarden seems to be the recommended alternative.

Bodhi

Once agreed with Scouse and a LibDem at same time
In Ireland they even have hard shoulders on single-lane roads. They obviously value them over there :)

Having seen some of the driving in Ireland that just seems sensible - I'm still traumatised after a taxi driver we used in Cork treated every road as if it was one way.
Sorry, on the flip side I do remember the difference on the M62 around Leeds before and after it was smarted. The congestion was reduced noticeably on days where there wasn't an accident.

Probably all been a waste of time and money though. Recent job advert in Leeds said that even after Covid it would now only be 2 days per week in office and 3 at home whereas before you were lucky to get 1 day at home per week so traffic won't get back to those levels again.

I'd say success has been varied on how much they've actually helped. I've heard good things about the M62, but the section around J10 of the M6 has made very little difference - if anything it's made things worse when people break down in Lane 3. Which you can tell, as they're just about to dig J10 up again to improve it...again.

Yep. And the massive new roadbuilding scheme that sunak is using to pay his mates billions.

As soon as self driving cars come along congestion should disappear...

That will be 20 - 30 years at a minimum talking to people in the industry. Seems to be the old 80/20 rule. The last 20% of it is going to be an absolute nightmare.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
That will be 20 - 30 years at a minimum talking to people in the industry. Seems to be the old 80/20 rule. The last 20% of it is going to be an absolute nightmare.
Yep - but it still seems like madness to me.

Spend tens of billions on new roads (which is proven to stimulate demand, perversely (I never could wrap my head around why at University, but it does work that way) when we're trying to reduce the number of journeys taken. Add to that Covid has shown that huge swathes of the population should work from home, so car use should drop and stay dramatically dropped. And in a couple of decades we should probably be running road removal and environmental regeneration programmes (it's arguable that we should be running those progammes today).

New road spending makes no fucking sense at all. We should be shooting our cash elsewhere to build back from Covid (and build into a more sustainable future).

£27 billion (?) on community ground source heat pumps, home insulation and energy efficiency creates jobs, and a worthwhile outcome at the end of it...

Bodhi

£27 billion (?) on community ground source heat pumps, home insulation and energy efficiency creates jobs, and a worthwhile outcome at the end of it...

No. Any attempt to fit this house with a Heat Pump of any description rather than a Gas Boiler will result in the person suggesting it having a Heat Pump shoved up their arse. Probably sideways.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
No. Any attempt to fit this house with a Heat Pump of any description rather than a Gas Boiler will result in the person suggesting it having a Heat Pump shoved up their arse. Probably sideways.
Gas boilers will be getting banned soon m8.

Bodhi

Gas boilers will be getting banned soon m8.

That's the plan anyway, 2023 for new builds. Not sure what the date is for existing houses, but considering anything built before 2007 is going to be an absolute nightmare to get running on a heat pump, I suspect that will be quietly dropped.

I guess it has to be banned though, given heating by gas is generally cheap and reliable. Can't have the proles having cheap and reliable power now can we?

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
considering anything built before 2007 is going to be an absolute nightmare to get running on a heat pump
Why? The principles are the same (sending hotness around a circuit - be that through radiators or underfloor), it's just the bit upstream of that that changes (ie a new boiler and obviously a heat pump). Air/ground source heat pumps put out less heat but it's still adequate to warm a house because radiators are typically over-sized for the rooms they're in.

dysfunction

FH is my second home
Why? The principles are the same (sending hotness around a circuit - be that through radiators or underfloor), it's just the bit upstream of that that changes (ie a new boiler and obviously a heat pump). Air/ground source heat pumps put out less heat but it's still adequate to warm a house because radiators are typically over-sized for the rooms they're in.

Not if it is not energy efficient as it won't heat the house at all as the heat will escape.
Also where are you going to put this heat pump if you have a terrace house with a tiny or non existent garden?

Embattle

FH is my second home
Heat pumps require under floor heating due to its lower temperature thus radiators alone aren't enough, the majority of people aren't likely to pay or put up with the required work to have under floor heating installed after the house has been built. Ultimately the system will have to be some kind of drop in for a gas boiler to be effective that people switch.

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
Not if it is not energy efficient as it won't heat the house at all as the heat will escape.
Also where are you going to put this heat pump if you have a terrace house with a tiny or non existent garden?
Well ok if he's talking about lack of insulation that's one thing but the construction date ("before 2007") doesn't have anything to do with whether it's a terraced house or not. Anyway, if it's a small house it won't need more than a small heat pump - they can be mounted on the wall just like external air conditioning units (they're the same thing).

800px_COLOURBOX1652974.jpg

Last edited:

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
Heat pumps require under floor heating due to its lower temperature thus radiators alone aren't enough, the majority of people aren't likely to pay or put up with the required work to have under floor heating installed after the house has been built. Ultimately the system will have to be some kind of drop in for a gas boiler to be effective that people switch.
Heat pumps don't *require* under floor heating but they work more efficiently with it. It's easy enough to establish whether already-installed radiators are sufficiently large to use with a heat pump. If they are then there isn't an issue apart from insulation but you're throwing heat away either way if your house is poorly insulated.

Bodhi

2007 was a change in the building regs around insulation iirc, and the earlier your house was built the more challenging that part becomes.

We do have to replace our boiler soon as the one we have is a bag of shit, and I'm pretty sure the only original component in there is the case that houses it. However 3k for a boiler, or 8-12k for a heat pump we'll have to stick halfway up the wall?

Nah. Gas boiler it is.

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Do you want your free customers to go elsewhere? Because this is how you make your free customers go elsewhere.

I used to have Premium but stopped because I wasn't really using it but having to decide between having the free version installed on my PC or my phone is really taking the piss. It's become more and more expensive since LogMeIn took it over and now this... Bitwarden seems to be the recommended alternative.
Recently it has also started popping up stupid advertisements when you open the vault in Firefox. I was happily subscribed to LastPass for years until they basically put all the premium features into free making subscribing pointless as you only seemed to need it for a Yubi Key. Now they're pushing them all back the other way at over twice the cost?!? LastPass is £30 and BitWarden is £10 so I'll be exporting my vault this weekend.

I'm surprised it didn't all happen sooner however as whenever LogMeIn have acquired a piece of software I'm using, they've always wrecked it at some point. Hamachi was the last one I think.

dysfunction

FH is my second home
Well ok if he's talking about lack of insulation that's one thing but the construction date ("before 2007") doesn't have anything to do with whether it's a terraced house or not. Anyway, if it's a small house it won't need more than a small heat pump - they can be mounted on the wall just like external air conditioning units (they're the same thing).

800px_COLOURBOX1652974.jpg

And where does the heat com from? Something buried under ground? How is that going to work in a densely populated London borough (or other city) with no gardens? dig under the house and road?

Bodhi

And where does the heat com from? Something buried under ground? How is that going to work in a densely populated London borough (or other city) with no gardens? dig under the house and road?

Is that not an air source heat pump instead? The ones that get a bit flaky as the temperature drops towards zero iirc.

Embattle

FH is my second home
Most new builds built with air source heat pumps have underfloor heating, sorry I still would find it largely pointless without underfloor heating and most sites recommend underfloor heating otherwise it is less efficient and then you are going to use more electricity. You add that in with the fact the ASHP already has a decrease in efficiency when the temperature difference becomes greater, you know when it gets cold outside but you want to maintain a higher temperature inside like in winter, then you don't want to lose even more efficiency by not then having underfloor heating.

Air source heat pumps use the energy in the air, you might be thinking of ground source heat pumps.

dysfunction

FH is my second home
Is that not an air source heat pump instead? The ones that get a bit flaky as the temperature drops towards zero iirc.

Probably better off with an electric boiler then really.

Most new builds built with air source heat pumps have underfloor heating, sorry I still would find it largely pointless without underfloor heating and most sites recommend underfloor heating otherwise it is less efficient and then you are going to use more electricity. You add that in with the fact the ASHP already has a decrease in efficiency when the temperature difference becomes greater, you know when it gets cold outside but you want to maintain a higher temperature inside like in winter, then you don't want to lose even more efficiency by not then having underfloor heating.

Air source heat pumps use the energy in the air, you might be thinking of ground source heat pumps.

So if you have concrete floors that will be a lot of fun digging everything up for underfloor heating.

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
It's an air source heat pump, you flid. The source of the heat is the air. :eek:

That's the only bit you need, it connects through the wall to the boiler inside. Ground source, on the other hand, is much more complicated and involves digging trenches for pipes or a deep vertical hole.

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
Recently it has also started popping up stupid advertisements when you open the vault in Firefox. I was happily subscribed to LastPass for years until they basically put all the premium features into free making subscribing pointless as you only seemed to need it for a Yubi Key. Now they're pushing them all back the other way at over twice the cost?!? LastPass is £30 and BitWarden is £10 so I'll be exporting my vault this weekend.

I'm surprised it didn't all happen sooner however as whenever LogMeIn have acquired a piece of software I'm using, they've always wrecked it at some point. Hamachi was the last one I think.
I used the free version of LogMeIn for years as an easier alternative to setting up a VNC. It was great for reliably accessing systems on non-static IPs (before I knew about dynamic DNS services) but then they suddenly started asking for money. I didn't even realise but they've been ramping the price up of LastPass Premium for the last few years. I'm sure it was about a tenner a year when I had it, it's over £30 pa now. It's just greed, plain and simple. Maybe they thought that making the free version a bit more shit was a good way of incentivising people to start giving them money but it seems to have had the opposite effect, looking at the reaction.

BitWarden does look good, the self-hosting bit looks particularly interesting.

Gwadien

Uneducated Northern Cretin
It's an air source heat pump, you flid. The source of the heat is the air. :eek:

That's the only bit you need, it connects through the wall to the boiler inside. Ground source, on the other hand, is much more complicated and involves digging trenches for pipes or a deep vertical hole.

Lmao.

'flid'

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
1) That's why I said investment in energy efficiency and insulating old buildings (which is tried and tested and cost effective) and;
2) That's why I said communal heat-source - you can borehole and run neighbourhoods off heat pumps - in the same way you deliver gas to a neighbourhood.

That or massive electric heating uptick.

Bodhi

My colleague in the Netherlands has moved into a new build with a communal GSHP fitted. He says it's ok when it works. Based on his experience, I'm definitely having a boiler :)

dysfunction

FH is my second home

You didnt say that though. you just posted a picture of a hideous box bolted to the wall

Embattle

FH is my second home
Wood burners are fine, fuckwits putting green wood through them isn't.

I find that argument has some validity but I also think it sounds much like the soundbites over clean coal, in the end you can make them better with the correct wood but it still outputs considerable amounts of pollution.

Bodhi

You didnt say that though. you just posted a picture of a hideous box bolted to the wall

In fairness we had only been discussing Ground Source up to that point where @caLLous decided to muddy the waters by posting a picture of an Air Source model.

Bit harsh to call someone a flid just as they weren't 100% au fait with what's on the market tbh.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom