SPAM This thread is for random spam!!

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
View attachment 43649

good omen for the houses lol
Tories have refused to change the rules on building on flood plains.

It's bent as a nine bob note planning. Big developers are sitting on land waiting it to go up in value. There's plenty of supply capacity available but if the developers start building then house prices'll go down, and they don't want that.

So they build on their shit parcels of land, like this one, whilst witholding the rest.

No secret, of course. But the Tories won't do owt about it. Ofc.

SilverHood

FH is my second home
The village I grew up in in Surrey flooded regularly: River Wey and the Basingstoke Canal were so close that any sustained amount of rain would cause one or the other to burst its banks. If both did, the water would merge, and the village lowlands would flood. It should be a local planning requirement to look at previous 20 years of flooding, and if the area flooded even once, then no new builds on that land. What do they do instead? Build more houses and apartments on land floods every 2-3 years. And then they're surpised when water comes gushing in the front door!

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
Tories have refused to change the rules on building on flood plains.

It's bent as a nine bob note planning. Big developers are sitting on land waiting it to go up in value. There's plenty of supply capacity available but if the developers start building then house prices'll go down, and they don't want that.

So they build on their shit parcels of land, like this one, whilst witholding the rest.

No secret, of course. But the Tories won't do owt about it. Ofc.

Its worse here; thousands of houses going up a few miles from here literally on sea level, and worse, the nimbys further down the coast rejected a sea wall programme because it affected their view and therefore property prices! Bunch of fuckwits, but the planners let the objections stand.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
But why would people not object? Would you be happy if someone wanted to stick a block of flats up (for example) a few hundred metres from your house? Or a factory?

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
In France too. There's a town down the road which was hit particularly badly in the October 2018 floods - the land under the toppled Intermarche lorry, next to the road that was literally swept away, has had a sign up recently advertising buildable plots.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
It floods all the time around here but until recently nobody was stupid enough to build on it.

Objections were put forward at the time and ignored, the house builders probably don't give a fuck so it's down to the poor fuckers that have bought them, including Sian Dyche....though I think he only just avoided it this time, part of his street was underwater though, and it looks like it will flood again this weekend.

It's basically a river that they redirected when they built the golf course, it floods every single year but this year worse than others.

Last edited:

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Big hoo-ha around here because flooding is happening more and more. Basically - it's hangover from farming practices upland - farmers want to clear the water from their land faster because it becomes more useable.

Instead of taking days to drain, their fields drain in hours. Leads to massive short spikes in river height and broken banks.

Shit for kayaking too - river floods and goes back to normal in 24 hours instead of remaining at a higher (but more manageable) level for four or five days. It's all come to a head in the last twenty or thirty years really.

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
But why would people not object? Would you be happy if someone wanted to stick a block of flats up (for example) a few hundred metres from your house? Or a factory?

The sea wall in Clontarf has been seriously breached twice in the last decade, and it's only going to get worse. So what's going to affect your property values more, a slightly worse view (and they weren't exactly talking about Trump walls here) or an uninsurable house because its flood prone? Its absolutely fucking retarded.

Embattle

FH is my second home
It seems to be a common issue, although for us I checked the available information for flood risk and then did some basics such as we weren't going to be near a river etc.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
Just set up on the HMRC website so that I could claim tax relief for working from home, and it has all my national insurance records going back to 1994, when I started working. Fucks sake I could buy a house with all that.

Bodhi

Once agreed with Scouse and a LibDem at same time
You all have it easy, Stafford was built on marshes, so it's pretty much just one big flood plain.

For instance if we get a lot of rain, getting your Shell Go points may prove challenging

0_Sandon-Road-2JPG.jpg

Never mind you can just go to Spoons instead! Oh.

0_THP_CHPP_271019Slug_2554JPG1.jpg

Walk down the river? Bugger.

0_Stafford-flooding-6JPG.jpg

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Bought my house on top of a hill :)
I'm 600 feet above sea level but it doesn't stop all of my land being fucking soaking.

Driveway has massive ruts in it after heavy rain last November and a stray bucket getting washed into (and therefore blocking) a culvert that enables a stream to go under it causing it to burst over and wash a shitload away. Bang goes another couple of tons of stone.

First world problems tho ;)

Jupitus

Old and short, no wonder I'm grumpy!
Staff member
FH Subscriber
I did a few home improvements a few years back, and have been fine since:

Home-improvements.jpg

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
I'm 600 feet above sea level but it doesn't stop all of my land being fucking soaking.

Driveway has massive ruts in it after heavy rain last November and a stray bucket getting washed into (and therefore blocking) a culvert that enables a stream to go under it causing it to burst over and wash a shitload away. Bang goes another couple of tons of stone.

First world problems tho ;)
You can be 600ft above sea level and still not be on top of the hill. ;)

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
I'm staring out of the window of my office at home into the neighbour's across the street's back garden (their house is at right angles to ours). Its absolutely pissing down and one of the neighbours (I think its the daughter or daughter in law) has been sat chain smoking in her dressing gown for the last 45 minutes. She must be fucking freezing. I feel like I should say something but I'm literally looking over a high tree lined wall into their supposedly private garden.

This lockdown is fucking people up.

*edit* she's just gone in.
Keep your hands on your keyboard

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
I would be gutted if nature made you get in the sea, I really would.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom