SPAM This thread is for random spam!!

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Honestly @DaGaffer - I don't think the language thing for parents is a big deal. They die out anyway.

The issue for objectors is the fact that the UK is becoming non-white. Period. The rest of the "cultural" things are just a way for them to object about people not being white - because people like Job don't mix with these people - so it doesn't really affect them.

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
Honestly @DaGaffer - I don't think the language thing for parents is a big deal. They die out anyway.

The issue for objectors is the fact that the UK is becoming non-white. Period. The rest of the "cultural" things are just a way for them to object about people not being white - because people like Job don't mix with these people - so it doesn't really affect them.

You can't simply dismiss culture out of hand. The issue is that people who migrated even 50-60 years ago pretty much had to integrate with their host culture (even when said culture were being dicks about it) because they weren't going back and they were also pretty cut off from where they came from. Now migrants can continue to live in their parent culture virtually, and there's very little incentive for them to integrate. And if migrants are only here temporarily, that's fine, but if they're going to stay, they have to be incentivized to engage with their host culture, and respect its laws and customs because its their kids who will be culturally British. But, while in the old days we had the luxury of waiting a generation for integration, that's not as easy when there are far more migrants,

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
they have to be incentivized to engage with their host culture, and respect its laws and customs because its their kids who will be culturally British
Respect it's laws, absolutely. We should be doubling down on anything that doesn't.

The rest tho? Meh - what customs do we hold in common in the UK? I'm struggling to think of anything even mildly important in the grand scheme of things.

If migrants come over, work, pay their tax and respect our laws then great. And as far as I can see I think that's the end of it.

Customs? Well, if we take on some of theirs and they take on some of ours and the whole shebang is massively changed from what we'd expected to have seen 50 years ago? No problems. Governments shouldn't have any part of that - it's not their business to get involved.

The only objections I can see is from people like Job, who have an inherent dislike of the "whiteness" of places changing. 🤷

I dunno Gaff. What am I missing? As long as laws are obeyed, who cares? And what is there to care about that we're going to "lose"?

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
Respect it's laws, absolutely. We should be doubling down on anything that doesn't.

The rest tho? Meh - what customs do we hold in common in the UK? I'm struggling to think of anything even mildly important in the grand scheme of things.

If migrants come over, work, pay their tax and respect our laws then great. And as far as I can see I think that's the end of it.

Customs? Well, if we take on some of theirs and they take on some of ours and the whole shebang is massively changed from what we'd expected to have seen 50 years ago? No problems. Governments shouldn't have any part of that - it's not their business to get involved.

The only objections I can see is from people like Job, who have an inherent dislike of the "whiteness" of places changing. 🤷

I dunno Gaff. What am I missing? As long as laws are obeyed, who cares? And what is there to care about that we're going to "lose"?

Did I say the word "customs"? Even once? "Culture" in this context is the rule of law, not just the laws themselves, but why they exist, and how they're made. And it also means how we execute those laws, which in Britain means a whole lot of stuff that isn't written down. My biggest bugbear with most African and Asian immigration is the treatment of women and yes, a lot of that isn't actually made explicit in law, so maybe, "custom" might be the right word.

We turn a blind eye to a lot of stuff in relation to migrants and women and girls and I'm firmly of the opinion that this is a mistake and we should be much more explicit about our expectations for the treatment of women as our cultural norm that takes precedence over any other. The US of course has its own internal problems with issue of female autonomy so they are a bit fucked pointing out the problem in others, but in Europe, by and large, we can justifiably take the moral high ground.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Did I say the word "customs"? Even once?

Yes m8 - you said "respect it's laws and customs" - which is why I quoted it.

:)

"Culture" in this context is the rule of law, not just the laws themselves, but why they exist, and how they're made. And it also means how we execute those laws, which in Britain means a whole lot of stuff that isn't written down. My biggest bugbear with most African and Asian immigration is the treatment of women and yes, a lot of that isn't actually made explicit in law, so maybe, "custom" might be the right word.

We turn a blind eye to a lot of stuff in relation to migrants and women and girls and I'm firmly of the opinion that this is a mistake and we should be much more explicit about our expectations for the treatment of women as our cultural norm that takes precedence over any other. The US of course has its own internal problems with issue of female autonomy so they are a bit fucked pointing out the problem in others, but in Europe, by and large, we can justifiably take the moral high ground.
Don't disagree with this though. But that's obeyance of law.

We should absolutely double down on that sort of shit.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
I think when I finished with DAOC all those years ago my buffbot had about 700 days...

Embattle

FH is my second home
About to ding 700 hours on Civ 6...kind of worrying

I've been at 678.8 for quite a while now, haven't played in quite some time either.....must have another game soonish.

Although my main in WOW sat at a little over 365 days.

SilverHood

FH is my second home
Think I had a little over 170 days on my 2 most played WoW characters when I quit.

My current Steam high is 1150 hours or so for Total War: Warhammer 2 and 700 hours for Hearts of Iron 4.

I think Civ4 and hearts of Iron 3 would probably both exceed 1000 hours, but they didn't track time back when those games were released.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
This sort of talk (that I'm guilty of) makes me think I should ditch gaming tbpfh :(

Aoami

I am a FH squatter

I think this is absolute bollocks and a myth people like to perpetuate. "People like Job don't mix with these people". As a middle class white bloke living in the great melting pot of London, I could count on half a hand how many people I know don't consider themselves massively liberal, and I could count on the same half a hand how many of them regularly mix with people who are not white.

Job

The Carl Pilkington of Freddyshouse
Ive just bought a Samsung smart tv.

Jesys christ on a bike, welcome to a foreshadow of a dystopian future.
Theyre powered by this Tizen software which is basically some some russian intelligence level of malware fuckery.

Everytime you switch it it goes to the Rakuten pay tv service and starts playing loud trailers, you cant cancel it or delete the app.
One time I switched it there was a woman in underwear prancing around the screen.
Samsung are selling their reputation down the river.

And to cap it all I logged on to google on my pc and warning message came up that suspicious requests were coming from my network.
Ive never seen such a message in my life.

Heres the samsung community thread.

Overdriven

Dumpster Fire of The South
Business: We need a quick system to manage short term entries into our building.
Tech: Cool, easy.
-does stuff-
Business: We now want DocuSign integration
Tech: We'll need a month.
Business: I WANT IT NOW
Tech: We'll need a month.
Business: When can you have a system ready without it?
Tech: About 30m ago.

We've built a short term solution using Microsoft Forms, Microsoft PowerApps and Microsoft PowerAutomate - They're then going to spend £40k on a proper booking system next year :|

Jesus Christ, this is why you don't have 40 people comment on "requirements"

EDIT: My job as an "Architect" is now 100% focused on O/M365 - I miss when it was JUST SharePoint and Dynamics.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
I hate Dynamics with a passion.

Or I should say, I hate badly implemented Dynamics.

It was quite funny though, I brought up several concerns throughout the installation process where it was clear things wouldn't work the way we needed them to. MD told me to stop being negative and rolled on ahead...a few years later I spend most of my time producing financial reporting and analysis using software called Atlas (essentially an Excel/word plug in that is a SQL front end) from a system that is broken as fuck...so at least I am busy and learning a shit ton about database structure on the job.

Overdriven

Dumpster Fire of The South
Yeah, that's the biggest issue I face as somebody who tends to get involved midway through new projects (Am usually hired to fix the mistakes) - People just really over-engineer what they want to do and don't think about what the product can actually do. Almost as if organisations who deliver the product only want to make money. We've got 2 projects running using it now, 1 I've totally turned around and we're piloting on the 19th and another "global" solution which I've sat in whenever delivering organisations come in to talk through design decisions - It's good having somebody who understand the platform internally.

Me and one of our Infrastructure guys are basically the "Go to" guys for all things 365 as we actually know this crap/

I miss Azure and AWS :(

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
I hate Dynamics with a passion.

Or I should say, I hate badly implemented Dynamics.

It was quite funny though, I brought up several concerns throughout the installation process where it was clear things wouldn't work the way we needed them to. MD told me to stop being negative and rolled on ahead...a few years later I spend most of my time producing financial reporting and analysis using software called Atlas (essentially an Excel/word plug in that is a SQL front end) from a system that is broken as fuck...so at least I am busy and learning a shit ton about database structure on the job.
Yeah, that's the biggest issue I face as somebody who tends to get involved midway through new projects (Am usually hired to fix the mistakes) - People just really over-engineer what they want to do and don't think about what the product can actually do. Almost as if organisations who deliver the product only want to make money. We've got 2 projects running using it now, 1 I've totally turned around and we're piloting on the 19th and another "global" solution which I've sat in whenever delivering organisations come in to talk through design decisions - It's good having somebody who understand the platform internally.

Me and one of our Infrastructure guys are basically the "Go to" guys for all things 365 as we actually know this crap/

I miss Azure and AWS :(
I feel like you're both describing my work right now :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom