SPAM This thread is for random spam!!

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
It's a bit weird and reactionary (and late). First of all, it's seriously slack journalism on the part of Engadget to say they're going after Bitcoin miners. Bitcoin is 100% mined by ASICs now, it simply doesn't make economic sense to use GPUs to mine it.

As for the cards themselves, they're not cheap. The mining difficulty of Ethereum has gone through the roof over the last 6 weeks so each card will take longer to pay for itself. Also, they have zero resale value because they have no outputs. At least with conventional GPUs you can sell them off afterwards. For that reason I'd still expect people to buy them over the new mining cards. For some massive operation in Iceland or whatever, I can see buying 10000 of these straight from the manufacturer at a reduced rate would be attractive, they come with more suitable clocks and voltages already baked into the BIOS so less faffing around is required to get the most out of them. In the article where it says that the Nvidia cards are 36% faster than the gaming equivalents; those gains are 100% achievable by altering the memory timings and with voltage/clock tweaks. These cards won't perform better than a properly adjusted "normal" card.

People are already getting their hands on the cards and putting them through their paces...

Last edited:

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
M8 was mining with ASICs @caLLous but they hardened the algorithm and they are back to gpus.

He's got about fourty grands worth.

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
M8 was mining with ASICs @caLLous but they hardened the algorithm and they are back to gpus.

He's got about fourty grands worth.
I suspect he is mining Ethereum with the GPUs (or Zcash maybe) and not Bitcoin. ASICs are exponentially faster than GPUs for Bitcoin mining, no matter how they might harden the algorithm, they'll always be faster than GPUs.

I don't do Bitcoin mining so don't know half as much about it as I do about Ethereum but a cursory glance at a couple of mining communities suggests that it's still all about ASICs.

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
Quite possibly he's using something like Nicehash Miner, which lets you mine whichever coin is the most profitable at the time and pays in Bitcoin.

BloodOmen

I am a FH squatter
Prices for gfx cards do seem incredibly stupid at present.. fucking £500 for most AMD cards - they need to shut this whole bitcoin shit down otherwise gfx cards prices will remain at ridiculous levels.

old.user4556

Has a sexy sister. I am also a Bodhi wannabee.
Prices for gfx cards do seem incredibly stupid at present.. fucking £500 for most AMD cards - they need to shut this whole bitcoin shit down otherwise gfx cards prices will remain at ridiculous levels.

Well, I was about to post: how sustainable is cryptocurrency? Surely it has to level off / bubble burst eventually? I'm not saying it's going away, more that these insane rises are silly.

BloodOmen

I am a FH squatter
Well, I was about to post: how sustainable is cryptocurrency? Surely it has to level off / bubble burst eventually? I'm not saying it's going away, more that these insane rises are silly.

Well, bitcoins have been around for how long now? and they've only grown and grown..... pretty sure they've been around for over a decade now (I could be wrong) I don't see them going away anytime soon.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
There's only 23 million bitcoins or somesuch possible so if they were mass adopted as a method of payment globally having a single one would make you a millionaire.

Remember - all that gives money it's value is people's willingness to use it.

BloodOmen

I am a FH squatter
Yeah that's what I said, but surely the price rises aren't sustainable?

no idea, I know my GTX 1070 when I bought it, it was £420... its now £490 lol.... its fucking retarded for anyone looking to buy a new PC.

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
Ethereum is going to switch from Proof of Work (basically mining) to Proof of Stake (not mining) a couple of milestones down the line so it's not like as long as there are crypto currencies there will be GPU shortages. I don't think there will be a constant influx of people coming in to mine the altcoins once Ethereum switches over.

The thing with Ethereum is, if all the pieces fall into place as intended by the devs, it's going to be the tech which underpins the next version of the internet. How do you put a price on that?

BloodOmen

I am a FH squatter
I meant the currency dude, not the gfx cards :p.

I know what you meant :p I was just saying! as for the currency I don't know? I'm sure banks dont even recognize Bitcoins as an official currency (unless that has changed since i looked last) so i have no idea why its worth so much.

BloodOmen

I am a FH squatter
Ethereum is going to switch from Proof of Work (basically mining) to Proof of Stake (not mining) a couple of milestones down the line so it's not like as long as there are crypto currencies there will be GPU shortages. I don't think there will be a constant influx of people coming in to mine the altcoins once Ethereum switches over.

The thing with Ethereum is, if all the pieces fall into place as intended by the devs, it's going to be the tech which underpins the next version of the internet. How do you put a price on that?

Ah!..

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
Some of it is really nasty and unfortunately part and parcel of the darkweb. However, it is great for buying "things"

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
Some of it is really nasty and unfortunately part and parcel of the darkweb. However, it is great for buying "things"
Ever bought 'things' from the dark web. I have always been too chicken

old.user4556

Has a sexy sister. I am also a Bodhi wannabee.
I got a Chrome extension called "SHINE" which simplifies, standardises and "un-shits" the look of Reddit. Worth a look.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
Anything that makes it not look like some early 2000s Yahoo page would be a benefit.

Ormorof

FH is my second home
Nostalgia tinted goggles there, early yahoo was a damn eyesore

yahoo-2001-preview.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom