SPAM This thread is for random spam!!

Job

The Carl Pilkington of Freddyshouse
Its not even to do with the science, its the way cooling theory has been passed off as a myth, just another crackpot idea from deniers to discredit the science.
The scientific community seriously needs to own up to it, because there are huge chunks of society who doubt them, and the older generation who remember being swamped with cooling theories, are not taking kindly to being told they imagined it.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Actually, it usually takes a leak for the meddling to come out.
Already addressed in the post. The method means that meddling gets caught out. If a set of results is important then people try to replicate using the same method (presuming no weakness has been identified in the method).

If, using the same method, the results cannot be replicated then people get called on their bullshit.

Remember "cold fusion"? Couple of guys said they could produce it and it'd solve all the world's energy ills. Published their shit, everyone on the planet tried to replicate it - because it was groundbreaking and game-changing if true.

But nobody could replicate it. 'cause the guys were talking shit. And their shit got found out leading to previously very well-respected and revered scientists being ostracised / living as hermits for the remainder of their days.

Science works - the bullshit around it is in the public, non-expert, arena - not in the scientific community.

Job

As usual, you are changing the argument, imagine in 30 years those scientists coming up with another theory, people sceptical of it for no reason apart from their previous theory.
'Yes, but before we even look at the data, we are a bit wary, you have past form.
'No we dont, thats a myth'
We'll we were going to overlook it, but now that you are lying to us again.

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
So now the UK as well as the US are saying you can't take anything larger than a phone in your carry on luggage, but you can check it in. But only from certain airports. Anyone care to explain to me what the point of this is? If its a worry about explosives, checking it in doesn't make any difference. Maybe ten terrorists can put their laptops together to make a Transformer? Optimus Jihadi.

Secondly, if its only from certain airports, how is that a deterrent? Do terrorists only fly from the middle east?

This seems really fucking weird to me, and as it affects Dubai and Abu Dhabi there's going to be a lot of really pissed off business and transit passengers.

Lakih

Resident Freddy
It's a known fact in the intelligence community that you can't take a train to India, Pakistan, or Georgia (the country) and fly out of there to anywhere in the world.
What's funny is that the UK ban is more extreme than the US ban.
@Hawkwind you fly a lot, how is this effecting you?

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
Be lots of bloody boring flights.

Cant imagine a flight withput my tablet now.

At least the uk ban isnt including emerite ethihad and qatar airlines like the usa one.

DaGaffer

It's a known fact in the intelligence community that you can't take a train to India, Pakistan, or Georgia (the country) and fly out of there to anywhere in the world

Why? What's the actual threat? Genuinely curious

Hawkwind

FH is my second home
It's a known fact in the intelligence community that you can't take a train to India, Pakistan, or Georgia (the country) and fly out of there to anywhere in the world.
What's funny is that the UK ban is more extreme than the US ban.
@Hawkwind you fly a lot, how is this effecting you?

We have very strict security systems when it comes to laptops and company data, so putting your company laptop in the hold is a non starter. As UK has not included UAE in the list we can still fly through the UK. It is a complete pain in butt as I usually fly direct to LA and Seattle.

The fact that the US and UK have very different lists is what seems odd to me. If this ban is based on credible intelligence that IS etc. are trying to sneak bombs on planes within electronics you'd think the lists of countries / airports would be identical.

The added portion on the US list seems specifically aimed at placating the big 3 US Airlines that complain bitterly that they cannot compete with the likes of Turkish, Emirates, Etihad and Qatar. They want the (Obama) Open Skies Deal torn up. It will hurt bookings at all Mid-East carriers for business flyers which is where the money is made. Trump keeping his big business buddies happy.

What the big 3 US airlines don't seem to understand is that they have a shit overall product which is the reason no one wants to fly them :).

DaGaffer

What the big 3 US airlines don't seem to understand is that they have a shit overall product which is the reason no one wants to fly them :).

An argument that can be applied to large sectors of US industry (hellooo US car companies, steel, coal, food production) but none of the Trump administration or supporters seem to be prepared to accept. With the exception of Silicon Valley large parts of the US economy are only viable because of protective legislation (healthcare, defence, food, finance) or pork barrel appropriations (defence again). Watching Trump moan to the Germans about not buying American cars was one of the most fucking mind-boggling things I've ever seen.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
you are changing the argument
No - not only am I not "changing the argument", I've A) addressed your points and B) I'm actually talking to someone else.

I'm not entertaining your "arguments" because you haven't a clue. Unconsciously incompetent - so much so you don't realise how the rest of your awful awful post has already been addressed, utterly - and from every angle - by my previous post.

You're not competent to hold an intellectual discussion about this stuff. Meh. Have your opinions all you like - but every word you type about the subject is demonstrably and clearly wrong - but you didn't do well enough at school to understand why when explanation is staring you in the face.

That is not a personal attack designed to hurt your feelings btw - it's just an unfortunate statement of fact.

Job

It doesnt hurt my feelings, it would take something an awful lot less purile than that.

Job

60% of Americans think climate change isnt a serious threat, 37% don't believe its a problem at all.
Probably all the older generation who have seen shit come and go.
Regardless of the science, there is some serious PR work needed for something that needs public support.

Opinions change at some pace, so you can see most are going on gut instinct, I'm pretty sure 5 years of hot or cold summers, would turn a good chunk to either side.

U.S. Concern About Global Warming at Eight-Year High

sayward

Resident Freddy
Did I say I've been awarded an honorary degree! Along with others. Pissed off tho cos we are on holiday for the ceremony!

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
That would be the "gate" that was the subject of many detailed reviews, all of which found no evidence of meddling and no intention to deceive.

Yeah, the "nothing-happened-here-gate" that tin-foil-hatters still bang on about.

Job

Well one good thing came from climategate, it stopped academics hiding behind their elevated opinions of themselves and their ,you couldnt possibly understand' attitude.

CorNokZ

Currently a stay at home dad
I've had my first ever annual performance and development review with my boss today. They've decided to give me a significant raise after just five months employment and I didn't even ask for it

\o/

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
I've had my first ever annual performance and development review with my boss today. They've decided to give me a significant raise after just five months employment and I didn't even ask for it

\o/
I had to leave and come back to get a significant payrise after years of excellent performance reviews.

Lakih

Resident Freddy
Why? What's the actual threat? Genuinely curious
Quote from Washington post:
The U.S. restrictions were prompted by a growing concern within the government that terrorists who have long sought to develop hard-to-detect bombs hidden inside electronic devices may have put renewed effort into that work, according to people familiar with the matter, who spoke on the condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to talk about it. U.S. officials have been discussing whether to issue new security restrictions for some flights for the past two weeks, they said.
I only know what I've read online and saw on the news.

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
Quote from Washington post:

I only know what I've read online and saw on the news.
Yeah something abput a somalian airline last year. And if the things are in the hold the containers they are in are engineered to take blasts and not rupture. Where as the same explosive in the cabin could be catestrophic.

I understand why. But its just another nail in the coffin of fun air travel. Its so much of a git atm that i hardly ever do it for holidays. Only for work.

Holidays to the continent or in the uk are so much less hastle.

Bodhi

Once agreed with Scouse and a LibDem at same time
That would be the "gate" that was the subject of many detailed reviews, all of which found no evidence of meddling and no intention to deceive.

Those emails that the head of the CRU stood down from his post whilst his mates cleared his name you mean? Strange, if he hadn't been caught so blatantly tampering with the data, he probably wouldn't have felt the need to do so....

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
if he hadn't been caught so blatantly tampering with the data...
He wasn't though.

Eight independent investigations found no evidence of fraud or scientific misconduct. The release of emails by climate deniers was cherry-picked and out of context, designed to bolster their evidence-less bull.

He was guilty of naivety. Nothing more.

You, however, are guilty of being a quack by repeating bullshit that's been independently disproved multiple times.

You silly silly man :)

Bodhi

Once agreed with Scouse and a LibDem at same time
And every single one of those "independent" reports was criticised for not being entirely independent....

This climate deniers phrase however, never ceases to amuse me. Are there any other branches of science where people who don't share the same opinion get called silly names? Silly names which, in this case, aren't entirely accurate.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Top Bottom