SPAM This thread is for random spam!!

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
My laptop had a "Big" w10 update today. The anniversary edition or some such marketing shite. The short test results are that it now runs slower and more apps I don't want or use are integrated into the "we want / will force you to use our apps" model. Which sucks great lumps of shit really.

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
more apps I don't want or use are integrated into the "we want / will force you to use our apps" model.

it also just signed me in on Skype. without me asking for it to do that or having had an account up to now. nice, Microsoft, real smooth.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
I will admit they are starting to boil my piss with things like that...but really there is little other option. Yeah I could spend ages finding a linux version I like but I very much doubt it will have the ease of use of windows. For the most part it just works.

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
It pisses me off when svchost.exe is downloading *something* but there's nothing showing on the Update page in Settings. It's just *something*... Pretty much every time I've turned the computer on this week svchost.exe has downloaded 100+Mb of *something*.

Job

The Carl Pilkington of Freddyshouse
This is my first proper win10 desktop, still on xp up to now.
You may have forgotten how quick and simple it is at everything, this new pc is four times faster, but feels like pushing through treacle compared to xp, its just so bloaty, everything is update this, looking for that, utterly unintuitive file explorer...you load a program and it just disappears, constantly asking shit, endless tick.boxes to try and catch you out, it fucking well made ie the default browser again after an update, it feels like it hates you.

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
User error etc. Win 10 absolutely flies for me when it's not being annoying. To say it's slower than XP is laughable. It reset a load of applications to its defaults after a specific update a while ago, it turned out to be a panic move because something or other became corrupted during the update and the default apps were, well... its defaults, so it reverted back to them.

Job

It IS far slower than XP.
Bootup, file explorer, task manager, control panel are all slower.

Wij

I am a FH squatter
The trouble with macs is they are shit.
My gaming PC is Windows but when I'm not gaming I'm on my MacBook because it's better.

Even Office is better on a Mac now.

At work I RDP my personal MacBook onto my work desktop.

:p

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
It IS far slower than XP.
Bootup, file explorer, task manager, control panel are all slower.
You're wrong on all counts. Booting is categorically faster. Win 7 booted faster than XP, Win 8 booted faster than 7, 8.1 booted faster than 8 and 10 boots faster than 8.1. Not sure how you're measuring "speed" in Explorer, it's as fast as the disks it's exploring. Task Manager and Control Panel? I've never known them to be benchmarked... I never had XP on an SSD but 10 is the most responsive Windows I've ever used. If yours is bogged down with bloatware and slow then that's your doing. Go into Task Manager (if you can bear the sluggishness) and click on the Startup tab and deselect unnecessary stuff.

Job

Now when I save jpgs from my paint program they dont appear in file explorer, the background chooser cant find them, the recent files shows them but if you click on them it says they have been deleted, i can open them in the paint program...considering fucking win10 off and loading xp, its just shite everywhere.
I can't even find the files using freddys uploader...did anyone actually bug test this pile of cack.

Bodhi

Once agreed with Scouse and a LibDem at same time
I'm told the Windows 10 team tried to make it idiot proof, but they suggested at launch that they were concerned that since they started development God had created a bigger idiot.

Turns out they were right.

Job

can't find a fix, you as usual are help error.
All my image files copied over from the xp drive are fine, but if I save in win10, they don't appear anywhere except in programs like paintshop, ftp and thumbnail creator.
Win10 just ignores them

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
That's just not how it works. The OS displays stuff that it finds in the folders on the disks. It doesn't pick and choose what it lets you see. It's highly unlikely but maybe the "paint program" is saving the file with the hidden attribute set and Explorer isn't displaying hidden files. Or maybe the program is saving the file to a directory and you didn't pay attention to the location when you saved the files and now don't know where they are and are blaming the OS when it's really just your ineptitude...

Job

Thanks for the don't know what you are doing jibes.
The file appear as 0 bytes, yes I do know where I'm saving them, they are there, in multiple programs, but win10 isn't displaying them except in recent files.

the files created from my image compressor are readable by windows, so the paint files must have something win10 doesn't like.

Last edited:

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
Well you're not historically good with... devices of any kind.

Maybe some virus or other malware of some sort. Run the usual scans to see what's what. What you're describing is 100% not a common problem with Win 10 though. It might be a problem with *your* Win 10 but there are other forces at play (malware... you...).

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
This is my first proper win10 desktop, still on xp up to now.
You may have forgotten how quick and simple it is at everything, this new pc is four times faster, but feels like pushing through treacle compared to xp, its just so bloaty, everything is update this, looking for that, utterly unintuitive file explorer...you load a program and it just disappears, constantly asking shit, endless tick.boxes to try and catch you out, it fucking well made ie the default browser again after an update, it feels like it hates you.

Did you get your copy off the gypsies?

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
Thanks for the don't know what you are doing jibes.
The file appear as 0 bytes, yes I do know where I'm saving them, they are there, in multiple programs, but win10 isn't displaying them except in recent files.

the files created from my image compressor are readable by windows, so the paint files must have something win10 doesn't like.

Meh, I just spent the evening building a mate a PC (console scrub before tonight) ground floor up, my first dabble with water cooling, crapped myself putting it together...works like a charm.

Spent 4-5 hours putting it together, making sure it was all going well.

15 minutes to install win 10, 5 minutes of pointing at the screen (I was/am shitfaced at this point) and 1 new PC gamer is born.

Its the most simple windows ever, even a console peasant can use it and ffs, they get excited about 30fps

Job

I use my android devices daily, not an issue, straight to the point, intuitive, sensible OS, this win10 machine drives me up the wall, typical microshite to go for more of the same shit...file explorer looks like photoshop, every possible option under the sun and every possible tiny issue turns into game over.
They hide what you need and give the overall impression they know best, a simple thing like clicking date order on xp was instant, 10 looks at you for a bit, runs a green bar, grabs another 20mb of ram before doing it.
I was just using chrome by itself last night and win explorer started bashing the disk, 90% cpu, 1.5gb ram, had to restart it.
WTF.

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
Meh, I just spent the evening building a mate a PC (console scrub before tonight) ground floor up, my first dabble with water cooling, crapped myself putting it together...works like a charm.

Spent 4-5 hours putting it together, making sure it was all going well.

15 minutes to install win 10, 5 minutes of pointing at the screen (I was/am shitfaced at this point) and 1 new PC gamer is born.

Its the most simple windows ever, even a console peasant can use it and ffs, they get excited about 30fps
For your first one the standard advice is at least 6 hours of leak testing with just distilled water with the PSU jumped (connecting 2 of the pins with a paperclip) so it can just run the pump and none of the computer bits will have power to them (which significantly increases their chance of survival if there is a leak and they get wet). Some people do 24 hours of testing but if it doesn't leak after 6 your chances are good.

Job

On the good side I rescued all my Miami videos finally..happy bunny.
Gotta post picture of missus and daughter in some posh shop...the black guy working there does a Will Smith, cos 2 white women are dressed like they be going clubbing in his shop.

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
Just eaten 18 cocktail sausages for my Saturday breakfast.

The Mrs was disappointed : "... and you were doing so well losing all that weight..."

I was disappointed : no bacon

old.user4556

Has a sexy sister. I am also a Bodhi wannabee.
You're wrong on all counts. Booting is categorically faster. Win 7 booted faster than XP, Win 8 booted faster than 7, 8.1 booted faster than 8 and 10 boots faster than 8.1. Not sure how you're measuring "speed" in Explorer, it's as fast as the disks it's exploring. Task Manager and Control Panel? I've never known them to be benchmarked... I never had XP on an SSD but 10 is the most responsive Windows I've ever used. If yours is bogged down with bloatware and slow then that's your doing. Go into Task Manager (if you can bear the sluggishness) and click on the Startup tab and deselect unnecessary stuff.

Totally agree, by the time my monitor has flicked out of standby Win 10 is well on it's way to the desktop. Win 7 was never like that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom