The World according to the americans...

Erivoss

Loyal Freddie
I'm against the death penalty but I'm for life imprisonment without parole. imo that is much much worse than being executed.

Job

The Carl Pilkington of Freddyshouse
True, life imprisonment must be worse than death, but why do so many fight to the last then to get it reduced to a life term, very few death rowers chose the chair rather than life.
It's cos when the chips are down their own self survival kicks in.
They are man enough to pull the trigger, but not man enough to face the punishment, years of wangling to get off the hook, by any means possible.

Iran has the best system, close relatives decide the punishment, if you are rich you can pay for your life, by giving all your possesions to them, or they can decide to let you hang.
It hands back the power to the deceased in a round about way.

Wile E. Coyote

Fledgling Freddie
I'd write a good reply to that, but you just go too far... To me that is just so extreme it is absurd... And I'm not convinced you are serious. You want the rich murderers to go free and the poor murderers beheaded in stadiums?

Covenant

Can't get enough of FH
Deacan said:
have to add a cherry to this thread.

GTA! :D

Sounds about right, if you ask me.

There's a lot of things I don't like about American politics - the fact that they try to dictate policy to the rest of the world whilst doign the exact oppostite being one of the major ones.

However, that's American politics, not American people. I have several good American friends - intelligent ones, at that.

By espousing all of the general, non-specific anti-American propaganda, are we not ourselves becoming what we purport to detest - bigots, guilty of irrational hatred toward others? Prejudicial of a country because of the politics of their Establishment?

Personally, I'd rather see reasoned arguement rather than "rabid foaming" (as I believe it was referred to in an earlier post). It makes for a more enjoyable read and doesn't stain your shirt.

Conchabar

Fledgling Freddie
tbh i think u should choose how u die if i had to be executed id like to be shot with an ak

Deacan

Fledgling Freddie
Job said:
There used to be a cool page called Texas death row last meal requests,

I was reading that a few weeks ago, seems they must of taken it down with in the past few weeks.

Egor

Fledgling Freddie
Its all fine and dandy when you sit back and debate whether capital punishment is correct or humane but its MY taxes that have to pay towards the upkeep of the prisons, the prison guards and the food, other crap and medical care for the prisoners. Quite frankly I am of the opinion that if they want to dispose of some of the more violent and depraved killers/rapists then it is fiiiiiine by me. I see no reason why I should pay towards the 'rehabilitation' of these people. I used inverted commas because I honestly don't believe that these people can be rehabilitated. Not now, not ever. What is the point then in allowing them to live when they serve no purpose whatsoever other than to leech off the taxpayer?

Of course, that is just my opinion. :)

Second

Fledgling Freddie
Egor said:
Its all fine and dandy when you sit back and debate whether capital punishment is correct or humane but its MY taxes that have to pay towards the upkeep of the prisons, the prison guards and the food, other crap and medical care for the prisoners. Quite frankly I am of the opinion that if they want to dispose of some of the more violent and depraved killers/rapists then it is fiiiiiine by me. I see no reason why I should pay towards the 'rehabilitation' of these people. I used inverted commas because I honestly don't believe that these people can be rehabilitated. Not now, not ever. What is the point then in allowing them to live when they serve no purpose whatsoever other than to leech off the taxpayer?

Apart from that I find capital punishment and the US foreign (and domestic) politics disgusting, I really couldn't turn my eyes away from that sentence above. What's the point of allowing them to live eh? Since when does one have to be useful to society or serve a purpose to be allowed to live? I do not think that the state/government should be allowed to take the lives of any of it's citizens, whatever the reasons. It's the state's purpose to take care of it's citizens, and imo that includes the 'depraved killers/rapists'. I guess the words human values, human rights, solidarity and compassion does not ring any bells in some peoples heads. Executions are soooo pre-20th century imo.

Smurflord

Fledgling Freddie
Personally I am against capital punishment for one reason and one reason only, I don't trust the courts to get it right and not convict the innocent. I would rather see the scum of the earth spend their days behind bars and avoid the rope, though they surely deserve it, than see one innocent man go to his death.

Deadmanwalking

Fledgling Freddie
Conchabar said:
tbh i think u should choose how u die if i had to be executed id like to be shot with an ak

Ok, i never post in daoc for obvious reasons but...

WTF?!

Serbitar

Fledgling Freddie
Smurflord said:
Personally I am against capital punishment for one reason and one reason only, I don't trust the courts to get it right and not convict the innocent. I would rather see the scum of the earth spend their days behind bars and avoid the rope, though they surely deserve it, than see one innocent man go to his death.

it costs over £30,000 to keep one person in a standard prison for a year. yes the court system can get it wrong, but technically its just as injust to jail an innocent person for life as it is to give death sentence. The only difference being that if given life then there is always the chance that you may one day be proved innocent (there has been a few recent examples of this). However this is where 'death row' comes in to the equation.

Ning

Fledgling Freddie
Egor said:
So you don't have insensitive, racist and immature dickheads in your country? Wow. Could you tell me where you live so I could move to this Utopia? :rolleyes:

I live in the European Union. If you find such messages in any European language on a famous website like yahoo.com, call me.

Ning

Fledgling Freddie
Tom said:
I wonder what you were doing in there anyway. Pathetic post.

It's yahoo.com, it's not a small isolated website. I would never have posted these posts if it had been on an isalated website. It's on every topic about Europe.

Cavex ElSaviour

Fledgling Freddie
Egor said:

WTF? this really disturbes me. Are people soo focused on money that they value the life of a human, no, they value ANY life in terms of dollars? Like someone already said in the thread. i'd rather let 99 guilty persons get life sentence then to have 1 innocent one get executed

Dillinja

Can't get enough of FH
Yeah, Egor really is a crazy money-obsessed bastard.

BlitheringIdiot

One of Freddy's beloved
Dillinja said:
Yeah, Egor really is a crazy money-obsessed bastard.
Lol Dill, you of all people should know that Egor left his private well paid hosptial job to go and work in iraq for 12months.

Ala

Fledgling Freddie
imho America <insertgeneralisedsweepingstatementhere>

Egor..... I think I....I......oh nm :eek:

Egor

Fledgling Freddie
Ning said:
I live in the European Union. If you find such messages in any European language on a famous website like yahoo.com, call me.

*cough* Well, I don't know which part of the EU you live in but when I was in England during the summer I couldn't help notice that some of their newspapers (i.e. The Sun and The Daily Something or Other) were constantly making fun of the French.

So, on the one hand you have a national newspaper making derogatory statements about one nationality and then we have a website featuring comments from Americans who may or may not be serious about their desire to see floating french baby bits.

...ooookay.

re. Cavex's post, no, I don't value the life of someone who commits mass murders or someone who serially rapes and tortures women. Why should I? What possible use can be gained in keeping someone like this alive? I agree that the justice system isn't perfect but methods of detection such as DNA samples are usually pretty effective in the conviction of most crimes. If a man is found 100% guilty of a crime of a suitably vile nature then why shouldn't he fry? I often wonder how someone with your moral standpoint would react if he came home one day and found his family butchered beyond recognition. If the guy was caught and sentenced to death would you still be protesting against the death penalty knowing full well that abolishment would result in you paying towards the upkeep of the man who killed your family whilst he sat about in prison for the rest of his life?

But that is just my opinion. :) There are plenty of people who want the death penalty abolished and I can understand their reasons. We'll just have to see who wins in the end. :)

Ning

Fledgling Freddie
Egor said:
*cough* Well, I don't know which part of the EU you live in but when I was in England during the summer I couldn't help notice that some of their newspapers (i.e. The Sun and The Daily Something or Other) were constantly making fun of the French.

So, on the one hand you have a national newspaper making derogatory statements about one nationality and then we have a website featuring comments from Americans who may or may not be serious about their desire to see floating french baby bits.

I'm from Luxembourg but I don't think you know where this country is located (too small :) )
I know that most of the european xenophobe newspapers are from the UK (it's funny because german or french newspapers don't even mention english people ; they sometimes speak about Tony Blair or the Queen when there is an interessing news but that's all). Nevertheless, there is a gap between what I read on popular american website and these europhobe newspapers (and there are also very serious english newspapers for educated people like The Economist so it balances :) )

Egor

Fledgling Freddie
Ning said:
I'm from Luxembourg but I don't think you know where this country is located (too small :) )
I know that most of the european xenophobe newspapers are form the UK (it's funny because german or french newspapers don't even mention english people ; they sometimes speak about Tony Blair or the Queen when there is an interessing news but that's all). Nevertheless, there is a gap between what I read on popular american website and these europhobe newspapers.

I know where Luxembourg is. :p My point was that most countries have their 'idiot faction'. We have our KKK and Far Right movements, the English have their BNP and neo-nazis, the Dutch have their LPF, the French have Le Pen etc. etc. So before you start pointing fingers at this country perhaps you should look at your own country's problems first (assuming Luxembourg has any). :)

Ning

Fledgling Freddie
Egor said:
I know where Luxembourg is. :p My point was that most countries have their 'idiot faction'. We have our KKK and Far Right movements, the English have their BNP and neo-nazis, the Dutch have their LPF, the French have Le Pen etc. etc. So before you start pointing fingers at this country perhaps you should look at your own country's problems first (assuming Luxembourg has any).

Luxembourg have no problem because we have the highest GDP per capita in the world ($48,900) :m00:
(j/k :) ).

"So before you start pointing fingers at this country perhaps you should look at your own country's problems first"

Good advice for Bush :)

Dillinja

Can't get enough of FH
I see this is turning into a good old fashioned England-bashing thread then.

Addlcove

Fledgling Freddie
Dillinja said:
I see this is turning into a good old fashioned England-bashing thread then.

you´re really sad you know that, people are actually having a real live non flaming discussion here, and all you try to do is ruin it.

@ egor, I´d agree that if it´s 100% certain he´s guilty he should fry... BUT

there is no reason that you can´t cut back on the prison expences...

in DK they get tv/microwave radi whatever in their rooms, and they get a job in the prison and are paid for doing it.

oh and in some of the prisons the celldoors are unlocked at night because the prisoners are afraid of being trapped inside in a fire...

don´t know about america, but in DK I look at the prisons and all I can think is

"since when was going to jail supposed to be profitable and relaxing"?

FOR GODS SAKE these people are criminals... it´s supposed to be a PUNISHMENT!

Conchabar

Fledgling Freddie
Addlcove said:
FOR GODS SAKE these people are criminals... it´s supposed to be a PUNISHMENT!

huh its so they can learn skills for when they get re entered into scociety.. sum ppl feel bad for what they did -_-

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom