Food The supermarket thread

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
UK_11484_01_b.jpg

Chorizo Ibérico £1.19 for 100g

Rest of this weeks deals can be found here...

http://www.lidl.co.uk/cps/rde/xchg/lidl_uk/hs.xsl/10054.htm

The baklava is very good for the price, as are the belgian butter waffles.

rynnor

Rockhound
cHodAX said:
Chav pies mate. Waitrose don't sell them, Heston didn't bake them with his own fair hands, therefore they are council estate food and not worth of a mention on this forum! ;)

I'm sure I have bought Pieminster pies in Waitrose before?

rynnor

Rockhound
I buy all my food shop bar vegetables and meat for the dog from Waitrose - mainly for the nice peacefull atmosphere tbh and it has a quiet carpark.

I buy veg/meat for the dog from lidl - it's veg is at least as good as Waitrose which is a bit of a pisser tbh and the dogs beef/chicken looks comparable to any other supermarkets.

On most things it seems the difference between premium and budget supermarkets are largely illusion.

Litmus

Resident Freddy
I work for a company that makes fizzy drinks/energy drinks. The 20p budget energy drinks you find in asda are exactly the same as the own brand ones you find in Waitrose at £2 a can. which is probaly the same as most own brand stuff tbh

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
Yep, energy drinks are all the same basically and the supermarket own brands are made by just two different companies using slightly differing recipies for each. You can get 1 litre bottles in B&M that is identical to the own brand sold by Morrisons and ASDA but for 75p instead of the £1.20 the big supermarkets sell it for.

As for Lidl, alot of the own brand stuff is exactly the same as the other supermarkets, contract food orders in own brand labeling. Lidl just sell it for less because they have lower overheads. The continental stuff they sell is generally very good as well, often outstripping any of the big supermarkets for quality and always on price. Those Belgian butter waffles for instance, are better than any available in the big 4 supermarkets and yet cost half the price for the weight sold. The baklava is the same stuff sold in Sainsbury's and Waitrose but anywhere from £1-£2 cheaper. Of course they sell some right crap as well but then don't all the big supermarkets do that?

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
Fellas, that Chrizo Iberico is fucking epic, the real deal made from Iberico pigs and as good as I have ever had, anywhere. Snap it up before stocks run out, it is a steal at this price and would be at least twice as much elsewhere but probably lower quality.

Overdriven

Dumpster Fire of The South
Nate, watched the full doc about that clip you posted some weeks ago. Dire industry they're in, but the deals and what they do at that time of year (Getting rid of all the stock etc) are quite epic.

Nate

FH is my second home
Nate, watched the full doc about that clip you posted some weeks ago. Dire industry they're in, but the deals and what they do at that time of year (Getting rid of all the stock etc) are quite epic.
What do you think of the people that are Butchers now, out of interest? After watching that.

Overdriven

Dumpster Fire of The South
What do you think of the people that are Butchers now, out of interest? After watching that.

Butchers in general? Nothing wrong with the people, somebody has to do it - Rather that person be somebody who knows what they're doing.
Butchers in that documentary? The documentary pretty much summed it up. It's a male-orientated industry where you can get away with things you can't in other professions. Somebody has to do it. It's a shame that they do have to give up quite a lot (Guy who was divorced twice? The wife who had to adapt to actually SEEING her husband during the day?) for what doesn't (to me) seem totally worth it. Never have/will experience their world, so I can only play blind-ignorance and go "omg it's not nice, I feel pitty for them" or "omg, they're *****"

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom