Food The supermarket thread

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
Ok, decided to create a thread that I will regularly update with special offers, mini reviews etc for food, beer and wine from all the supermarkets but particulary Aldi/Lidl because they tend to have theme weeks on with continental/worldwide food and drink which is often very good.

This week is Italian week at Lidl, they have a lovely Grappa Prosecco on which I tried last year and enjoyed alot. Also they have the very popular Prosecco Treviso in again and reduced to £4.29 a bottle, I have drank alot of this stuff and love it during the summer months, the wine is dry but very fruity and clean on the palette with no nasty aftertaste. As it is Italy week they have a few decent Pecorino cheeses including a nice mature one, some nice speciality ham and salami. A number of different wines and spirits that I haven't tested but might be worth a look, plus the usual Italian fare such as pastas, sauces, breads/dips/oils. Oh and not forgettting biscuits and cakes. The amarertti busciuts were very good last time they were on.

Plenty of offers on as well for the normal British stuff. Have a nosey on thier website.

Nothing special at Aldi this week apart from the exceptionally good Montebuena Rioja 2009 for a mind blowing £5.99 which is a fantastic price for a wine scoring so highly in reviews...

"The 2009 Montebuena is 100% Tempranillo. Dark ruby-colored, it offers an appealing perfume of spice box, leather, tobacco, and blackberry. On the palate it is packed with ripe fruit, has outstanding concentration, and impeccable balance. It is a great bargain that offers a sneak preview of the great 2009 vintage in Rioja and northern Spain in general. It should drink well for 6-8 years."

It really is an excellent drink if you like a nice red, scored 90 Parker points in reviews too.

Going to trawl Morrisons, Asda, Tesco and Sainsbury next. Will pick out anything that catches the eye.

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
Tell a lie, Aldi are doing American week from Thursday 23rd and I can happily recommend the giant salted pretzels and the Batemans Miss America Ale which I had recently and liked alot.

Wazzerphuk

FH is my second home
Aldi and Lidl. Talk about being typical of your location ;)

Tesco for branded stuff, Waitrose for real food.

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
Hate to admit it, but we do quite a bit @ Waitrose. Might be expensive, but its good quality - especially the fresh fruit & veg

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter

Wow. Really? Typical of my location? trollolol. I am in strking distance (2 miles or less) of Sainsburys, Morrisons, Asda, Tesco, Marks and Spencer Food, Co-op, Aldi and Lidl.

You only use those two you mentioned? Short sighted in the extreme, brainwashed by the brands I guess, it often happens with the feeble minded. ;)

I shop everywhere and I do mean everywhere but I am obsessed with getting great produce at good value prices. Sadly Waitrose aren't in that category very often, for example the tapas packs they sell for £2.99 are the exact same ones that Aldi sell for £1.29 and in the days of contract food orders all your own brand stuff is pretty much the same in every supermarket but just priced according to how affulent the average customer is.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
Waitrose for real food.

Its still shit food, just a few quid more.

Butcher for meat. Market for fresh vedge. Freezer crap from Sainsburys online.

Stuff from the butcher is only a tiny bit more expensive than the supermarket and if you get a decent butcher is so much better.

I have the odd look in Aldi because they do some decent camping gear every now and again and have some good cheap munchies too. I love their microwave popcorn.

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter

Stuff from the butcher is only a tiny bit more expensive than the supermarket and if you get a decent butcher is so much better.

I have the odd look in Aldi because they do some decent camping gear every now and again and have some good cheap munchies too. I love their microwave popcorn.

We will never agree more, fresh meat from a good butcher is so much better it ain't funny. None of the supermarkets can hold thier head high in that regard.

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!

You are an idiot then, who is wasting his cash. Lidl and Aldi have far better quality food than our traditional supermarket brands, and are much cheaper.

Dudley52

Part of the furniture
Got some sausages from Lidl (ye not as good as butchers). They had 97% pork compared to the likes of tesco premium bangers (which contain about 80%) they're better, cheaper and taste better.

Wazzer = snobby stuck up twat :)

Wazzerphuk

FH is my second home
Wow. Really? Typical of my location? trollolol.

Yes, it's typical of the North to shop at the cheapest place possible. :)

It's not shit food. It's not top notch as if from independents or farms shops, but I live in the real world and don't have the time to do a weekly shop that goes into 4 or 5 different shops.

You are an idiot then, who is wasting his cash. Lidl and Aldi have far better quality food than our traditional supermarket brands, and are much cheaper.

That's up for debate tbh. "Far better quality?" Really? I think a lot of that comes down to personal opinion.

Denton is a shithole tho ;)

This.

Yeah, snobs always shop at Tesco {!}.

Cerb

I am a FH squatter
They might not like it but be forceful with butchers. Used to work at one and if you go early in the day or late in the day they will try to shift yesterdays/early todays stuff on you if you don't let them know you won't have it.

Keitanz

Can't get enough of FH
Got some sausages from Lidl (ye not as good as butchers). They had 97% pork compared to the likes of tesco premium bangers (which contain about 80%) they're better, cheaper and taste better.

Yeah well, there's a reason why things are cheap sometimes.

Dudley52

Part of the furniture
Yeah well, there's a reason why things are cheap sometimes.

no, Lidl is generally cheaper on all their stuff and better quality/value, not all but alot of it. The big boys like Tesco could sell food cheaper but the bosses are so greedy why would they?

DocWolfe

Part of the furniture
No Aldi or anything like that within a 40 minute radius of me so I have to go to Tescos.

russell

FH is my second home
Wow. Really? Typical of my location? trollolol. I am in strking distance (2 miles or less) of Sainsburys, Morrisons, Asda, Tesco, Marks and Spencer Food, Co-op, Aldi and Lidl.

You only use those two you mentioned? Short sighted in the extreme, brainwashed by the brands I guess, it often happens with the feeble minded. ;)

I shop everywhere and I do mean everywhere but I am obsessed with getting great produce at good value prices. Sadly Waitrose aren't in that category very often, for example the tapas packs they sell for £2.99 are the exact same ones that Aldi sell for £1.29 and in the days of contract food orders all your own brand stuff is pretty much the same in every supermarket but just priced according to how affulent the average customer is.

Exactly my Uncle owns a pie/ pasty business that supplies Sainsburies, Lidl. Waitrose and Tesco -they are all the same pies in different packaging!

Chilly

Balls of steel
My office used to be above a Lidl on Malta. Fun times. The locals used to go round the back one day a week when they were lobbing the almost-mouldy stuff out and rummage through the bins and take home full chickens and shit.

megadave

I am a FH squatter
A lot of bin stuff is actually good for a few days, they just have to throw it out because of their silly rules :p

I have no car so have to get shopping delivered from big name supermarket :O

Keitanz

Can't get enough of FH
no, Lidl is generally cheaper on all their stuff and better quality/value, not all but alot of it. The big boys like Tesco could sell food cheaper but the bosses are so greedy why would they?

Tis called business!

That and Supply n demand :/

Keitanz

Can't get enough of FH
My office used to be above a Lidl on Malta. Fun times. The locals used to go round the back one day a week when they were lobbing the almost-mouldy stuff out and rummage through the bins and take home full chickens and shit.
They took home actual shit? :clap:

Ezteq

Queen of OT

:iagree: since having to watch zee money I started shopping more at lidl and tbh it rocks, I can get a whole weeks groceries for under a tenner and it's nice too...I'm a picky sod and do not eat crap so it has to be nice.

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
I'm the biggest supermarket snob going, and I hate the fact that the supermarkets in Ireland are generally shit (SuperQuinn is the Waitrose analog and is rubbish, Dunnes is the other one and is fucking awful, and even Irish Tesco isn't as extensive as UK Tesco), and will always take the opportunity to go up to NI and shop at Sainsbury's if I can (no Waitrose in NI yet).

However, Lidl turns out to be a lot better than I expected. I don't even like setting foot in the place (I'm allergic to poor people), but their fresh veg is excellent, and lots of their basics are as good or better than the others. Definitely a case of not judging a book by its cover.

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
I'm the biggest supermarket snob going, and I hate the fact that the supermarkets in Ireland are generally shit (SuperQuinn is the Waitrose analog and is rubbish, Dunnes is the other one and is fucking awful, and even Irish Tesco isn't as extensive as UK Tesco), and will always take the opportunity to go up to NI and shop at Sainsbury's if I can (no Waitrose in NI yet).

However, Lidl turns out to be a lot better than I expected. I don't even like setting foot in the place (I'm allergic to poor people), but their fresh veg is excellent, and lots of their basics are as good or better than the others. Definitely a case of not judging a book by its cover.

Yeah Ireland is an odd place in that regard, even after all the supposed 'price cuts' and the phony price war between the big three the prices over there are fucking atrocious. Especially when you consider alot of food in the U.K. is made/grown/produced in Ireland and then sold over here for often half the price that the Irish have to pay. Those big three are running a cartel imo. Aldi/Lidl have brought some competition to the country but look how many times they have new stores turned down for planning permission, fucking corrupt local/national government looking after their friends at Superquinn and Dunnes.

Tuthmes

FH is my second home
Indeed and your friendly neighbourhood toko for teh spyces and stuff.

Fafnir

Resident Freddy
Lidl are great if you want some goodies from other countries that normal supermarkets atleast in Sweden dont have in stock or have market up the price alot on. Their other items are pretty much the same price as Willys and same brands, might have some cheap beers but tried a few brands that i pretty much threw right out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom